Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Tattoo Thread.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 28/2/2012 10:41:54 PM   
sharkboy

I can safely say it is the single most excruciating pain I've ever felt Harry. The achilles tendon wasn't too enjoyable either!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 961
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/2/2012 5:35:15 PM   
King of Kafiristan

That's a neat tattoo, Sharkboy. Congrats, your pain endurance has paid off!

PS: This is just a photo of a tattoo I found to be rather fetching, something I stumbled across a few weeks back. It's a nifty design:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 962
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 13/3/2012 9:54:45 PM   
Wyvenetta

Hi! this is my most recent and favourite tattoo.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 963
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 22/3/2012 10:32:47 PM   
ChickMagnet

Got my next one planned, on the right arm I'm getting the Munich Clock from Old Trafford aka this:

But just the Black of the Clockface and writing though, nowt else

(in reply to Wyvenetta)
Post #: 964
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 4/4/2012 6:13:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've got a tat that's been part done for fucking ages now and I need to get it sorted. Unfortunately the artist that was doing it for me had to move away when he was about three quarters of the way through so I'm trying to find someone fairly local to finish it off which is pretty tough as I don't even have the design anymore. I also need to get my other 2 tats recoloured, they've faded quite badly.

After that I'm gonna be looking for someone to ink me some Dream and Death (The Sandman). I reckon it'll be a variation of this.

One of the characters on each shoulder and I'd possibly have the pigeon above Dream changed into Matthew.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 4/4/2012 6:14:42 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 965
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/4/2012 9:55:28 AM   
sharkboy

I've been pondering a Dream tattoo for years now, but the more Japanese style work I get, the more I worry that it'll look out of place.  I have thought that perhaps something from Dream Hunters, the book Gaiman did with Yoshitaka Amano, would still be appropriate, but it's still not that traditional in style.  Still, the next one I've got planned is a kitsune on my left calf to complement the kirin on my right which I'm hoping to have done by Chris Crooks at the London convention, which will mean my calves will have been done by 2 of the most renowned artists in that style.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 966
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 8/5/2012 9:26:38 AM   
sharkboy

Harry, I got talking to an artist at the Liverpool Tattoo Convention at the weekend who has done some amazing Sandman tattoos.  He's a huge fan of the work and when I mentioned the possibility of doing another Dream tattoo at the next convention, he was well up for it!  His name is Josh Bodwell, and he's back over in August for the Tattoo Jam at Doncaster racecourse.  Check this out:

He's also the go-to guy for Star Wars tatts - you should have seen the Ewok he did at the weekend, it was amazing!   Or how's this for an Obi-Wan portrait?

WWLD?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 967
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 8/5/2012 10:08:24 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Those are amazing. The Sandman one is stunning, a bit larger than the one I had in mind but the inkwork is fantastic.

Gonna save me up some money and get one done this year if possible. Like I said though, I need to get one on my upper arm finished first, it looks a bit iffy unfinished and it's doing my head in.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 8/5/2012 10:09:03 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 968
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 13/5/2012 7:20:36 PM   
ChickMagnet

Right I've got a new one yesterday, kept it clean since then and regularly applying Bepantham and getting a lot of black bits coming off along with the un-inked skin going red. Is that normal or should I start worrying?

Post #: 969
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 13/5/2012 8:21:24 PM   
ChickMagnet

New ink!

Post #: 970
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 14/5/2012 11:48:41 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Right I've got a new one yesterday, kept it clean since then and regularly applying Bepantham and getting a lot of black bits coming off along with the un-inked skin going red. Is that normal or should I start worrying?

Yep, perfectly normal. The black bits are tiny bits of scabbing and the redness is just a bit of bruising from the trauma. Sounds like it's healing perfectly.

Nice ink by the way,

That's me that is!

Post #: 971
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 25/6/2012 8:27:53 AM   
jonson

Going back in a couple of weeks to have 3 yellow barrels addedd underneath, and my Jaws tattoo is complete.
As I wanted it on my right arm they reversed the picture, in case anyone was wondering.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 972
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 25/6/2012 8:51:46 PM   
sharkboy

Love it jonson! You're in the Leicester area, aren't you? If you're ever after a more photorealistic Jaws tattoo, check out Oddboy at Real Art Tattoo - his work is amazing

WWLD?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 973
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/6/2012 8:03:46 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Love it jonson! You're in the Leicester area, aren't you? If you're ever after a more photorealistic Jaws tattoo, check out Oddboy at Real Art Tattoo - his work is amazing

Thanks mate. I can see Real Art Tattoo from my office window, they are only 100 yards away from me.
It looks a lot better now, I'm having the yellow barrels added on Saturday.
I had a friend do it who does my hand painting for me, he wants to be a portrait tattooist, I offered for him to practice on me it's not his usual thing but I'm pleased with it, I wanted the "chalky" look rather than a cartoon, now I've had it a few days it looks great.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 974
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 10:02:50 AM   
Toad

I'n not trying to suggest people troll here but did anyone see the ITV Tonight show yesterday? MP James Grey basically said that if you have tattoos and peircings then your a thug. If you find yourself offended by this narrow minded view the please feel free to comment on his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesgraymp

I aim to misbehave.

(in reply to Domilly)
Post #: 975
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 10:05:49 AM   
Funkyrae

That kind of attitude has been around for a ridiculous amount of years, some people just won't change no matter what's said to them or how intelligently it's put across.

A friend of mine sent me this the other day on Facebook. I think it's perfect!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Toad)
Post #: 976
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 10:26:38 AM   
sharkboy

Unfortunately Toad, this doesn't surprise me at all.  Just last week Tony Parsons ran a similar approach in his Daily Mirror column (but his word of choice to describe anyone with a tattoo was "thicko").  After all, this is a true-blue Tory toff we're talking about here; I'd have been more suprised if he'd defended people with tattoos!

Though if he wants to throw names about, I'd like to know what name he'd apply to someone whose idea of support to their spouse while they battled cancer was to fuck someone else's wife.  Or who diddled the taxpayer out of thousands through fraudulent expense claims (for bloody Remembrance Day wreathes of all things!).  Or who thinks that homeopathy is a proper use of NHS resources?  Because my choice of word would be a bit stronger than "thug".

WWLD?

(in reply to Toad)
Post #: 977
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 10:58:54 AM   
horribleives

quote:

Unfortunately Toad, this doesn't surprise me at all.  Just last week Tony Parsons ran a similar approach in his Daily Mirror column (but his word of choice to describe anyone with a tattoo was "thicko"). 

I read that - this would be the same Tony Parsons who never lets a minute go by without reminding someone he wrote for NME during the punk era, and was himself victimised for looking different? Mind, he's a card-carrying royalist these days so what do you expect. Also, I'm fairly certain getting a tattoo removed these days doesn't involve getting a massive chunk of skin removed, does it? I know it did in about 1991 'cos my dad got some removed but I always remember him saying a few years later - when laser surgery came about - that if he'd only put it off for a while it would've been far less painful and he wouldn't have tattoo-shaped scars all over his hands.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 978
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 11:14:58 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Unfortunately Toad, this doesn't surprise me at all.  Just last week Tony Parsons ran a similar approach in his Daily Mirror column (but his word of choice to describe anyone with a tattoo was "thicko"). 

I read that - this would be the same Tony Parsons who never lets a minute go by without reminding someone he wrote for NME during the punk era, and was himself victimised for looking different? Mind, he's a card-carrying royalist these days so what do you expect. Also, I'm fairly certain getting a tattoo removed these days doesn't involve getting a massive chunk of skin removed, does it? I know it did in about 1991 'cos my dad got some removed but I always remember him saying a few years later - when laser surgery came about - that if he'd only put it off for a while it would've been far less painful and he wouldn't have tattoo-shaped scars all over his hands.

Nope, that was only one of many inaccuracies in his post.  And yeah, so much for the NME's "hip young gunslinger" who got The Clash their first cover.  Nowadays it's all sweeping, ignorant statements about lifestyle choices or poorly-disguised xenophobic post-Maddy McCann insults to the Portugese people. Viz got it right

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 29/6/2012 11:17:10 AM >

WWLD?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 979
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 11:59:39 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm a 100% confirmed big girls blouse and will wake the street getting a splinter removed from my finger. But I've decided that for my next birthday I'm going to get a tatt. (I still have the best part of a year to back out from this, but its been eating away at me the way things do until they become and unstoppable force).

If that goes well I've an idea for another one. But I've no artistic temparament to draw it up and no buddies who do that either. Anyway, will work that out if the first one goes well :-)

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 980
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/6/2012 12:02:47 PM   
horribleives

I've wanted to get one for years but I'm far too fussy and indecisive - when I buy a shirt nine times out of ten I get home and decide I don't like it.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 981
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 3/7/2012 11:11:07 AM   
sharkboy

Just go for it you two!  H.Ives, there must be some image or design that you like that wouldn't be so transitory - a movie image, an album cover, a particular painting?

Prof, pain is temporary; a few hours of discomfort for something you'll always have (unless you decide to get it lasered or covered!).  Put it this way - as you can see from my posts at the top of the page, my last tattoo was a particularly painful experience.  But not painful enough to prevent me from booking in to get the other leg done, and this time in full public view at the London Tattoo Convention in September so no crying allowed

As for the design, find a good tattoo artist in your area, bring them some reference material if you have any and let them draw it up for you.  Most artists will do this for you anyway, and are happy to advise on what design will make the best tattoo.  Also, if it's a bigger piece they'll be able to draw it in a way that fits your body better.  If you let me know what area you're from and what kind of tattoo you're after, I'm sure I can get you the names of some good studios in your vicinity.

WWLD?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 982
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 3/7/2012 12:05:33 PM   
hubu_phonk

i haven't had a tattoo in years, but i should get my belly one touched up as parts are quite faded. This was a 21st birthday present to myself. Its a music note image i found in a graphic icon book at Uni. I always say it's my singing belly button

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 983
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 4/7/2012 1:12:41 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Prof, pain is temporary; a few hours of discomfort for something you'll always have (unless you decide to get it lasered or covered!).  Put it this way - as you can see from my posts at the top of the page, my last tattoo was a particularly painful experience.  But not painful enough to prevent me from booking in to get the other leg done, and this time in full public view at the London Tattoo Convention in September so no crying allowed

As for the design, find a good tattoo artist in your area, bring them some reference material if you have any and let them draw it up for you.  Most artists will do this for you anyway, and are happy to advise on what design will make the best tattoo.  Also, if it's a bigger piece they'll be able to draw it in a way that fits your body better.  If you let me know what area you're from and what kind of tattoo you're after, I'm sure I can get you the names of some good studios in your vicinity.

Thanks Sharky I think this is one of those itches that won't go away. But I'm also leveraging that to lose weight and get in better shape and give myself this present in a year's time. So no big rush. I'm in Dublin, so I'm sure there's a number of good places I could go when I start looking.

The idea I had was something along these lines (if this makes sense). I'm of an age where Meat Loaf and Bat out of Hell was big for me growing up. So I was thinking of a tattoo on the upper arm - a band if you will - of the bat head pointing outwards and the wings going round the arm... and then flames or something demonic about it. See I'm limited creatively, but that's kind of what came to mind.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 984
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 5/7/2012 10:24:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

Its a music note

No shit.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 985
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 10:06:25 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Thanks Sharky I think this is one of those itches that won't go away. But I'm also leveraging that to lose weight and get in better shape and give myself this present in a year's time. So no big rush. I'm in Dublin, so I'm sure there's a number of good places I could go when I start looking.

You're lucky in that there are some incredible artists working out of Dublin at the minute.  The only problem with having such talented tattooists is that their appointment diaries tend to fill up very quickly and for months (sometimes years) in advance.  So even if you're not planning to have the work done for a while, there's no harm in contacting them well in advance to secure an appointment.  Sometimes it's possible to skip the queues a bit by getting them to tattoo you at a convention (there's a big one in Dublin round Hallowe'en), but due to the competition element of the convention, artists often have a very set idea of what they want to tattoo at these (realism and big pieces are normally popular here).

Remis in Tattoo Prime, South Williams Street is a phenomenal artist who seems to be mainly doing convention work around the world these days.  Also, check out Zulu Tattoo in Great Strand Street - Sean and Marcin are great guys who could easily rock your design.  There are also a few studios around the Temple Bar area that could do a good job.

WWLD?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 986
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 1:54:44 PM   
Le Tenia

Booked in to Pagan Ink in Dunfermline to get a spartan helmet with Molon Labe written underneath against a tribal background. Would post a pic but i don't know how. Anyway, later in the year i'm gonna get a Roman Eagle/SPQR standard on the same arm. My other arm will be a tribute to Queen( best band in the world)...

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 987
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 2:12:55 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

Booked in to Pagan Ink in Dunfermline to get a spartan helmet with Molon Labe written underneath against a tribal background. Would post a pic but i don't know how. Anyway, later in the year i'm gonna get a Roman Eagle/SPQR standard on the same arm. My other arm will be a tribute to Queen( best band in the world)...

Art

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 988
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 2:23:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Also, check out Zulu Tattoo in Great Strand Street - Sean and Marcin are great guys who could easily rock your design

You are a gent sharkboy. Thanks for all your help. I'd seen positive reviews of Zulu on local message boards as well to back up your recommendation.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 989
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 2:27:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

A question for sharky, or anyone else in the know about these things.

What's a good resource for finding decent inkers in your area (or any area really I guess)? Is there a reputable website with ratings and the like that I can peruse or perhaps a monthly mag or something I can get hold of?

My next new tat is definitely going to be Sandman related so I want a reputable inker to be doing it. I've always been frightened of getting anything based on a recognisable character done in case it looks nothing like it should so I really want to make sure whoever's doing it has got a good rep.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI