Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 26/4/2007 4:50:10 PM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

i think my girlfriend said it best after we saw superman returns.i asked how would she compare reeve and routh? she said ''christopher reeve was SUPERMAN.brandon routh was SUPERBOY!

not saying i agree with her or not.despite the fact i found the movie very disappointing,i did like brandon routh as supes.

you know reeves and routh were the same age when they played superman right?

i know.i think her point was that christopher reeve was more ''manly'' than routh.

Is Superman supposed to be manly?

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 241
RE: Superman Returns - 2/5/2007 9:29:32 PM   
justified by grace

The music, production design and special effects are fantastic, and the whole film is full of iconic images.  Kevin Spacey makes a great Lex Luthor, providing both humour and villainy.  The action sequences, particularly the plane rescue, are brilliant.  If this were a lesser film, the amount of action might have felt slightly insufficient, but as the film as a whole is so breathtaking, there is easily enough action.  This is as close as a film can come to pure poetry (in the best possible way).

In summary, this is epic, majestic, and poetic.  I like it infinitely more than the original Superman films which, quite frankly, I found boring.  (Apologies (and desperate pleas for mercy) to anyone who's offended by this view.)

< Message edited by justified by grace -- 2/5/2007 9:34:55 PM >

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 242
RE: Superman Returns - 2/5/2007 9:31:07 PM   
justified by grace

Edit: double post

< Message edited by justified by grace -- 2/5/2007 9:35:38 PM >

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 243
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 3/5/2007 4:23:28 PM   
dantaous

I just watched the film recently for the second time, and i have to say i found it extremely boring. Like im talking head nodding and eyes closing boring. The film itself isnt badly made, its just i think the characters really dont draw you in like other comic book movies do. Brandon routh i thought was a pretty good superman, but he aint on the same level as Chris reeves. Then their is Kevin Spacey, boy was he miscast as lex luther. For me he tried way too hard to become the character and instead it just backfired. But out of all the characters i think Lois lane was easily the worst. Where was the fiesty lois lane we all know and love. Instead we got a timid reporter/mom that just looked wrong. Also did superman forget to fight while he was out for so long. I dont think he landed one punch throughout the entire movie, all he did was show how strong he was by lifting heavy objects. So Empire im sorry but i seriously disagree with this film being a 5tar film. At the most i think it deserves 3 stars.

With great power....
Its a trick! Get an axe!
My all time top 5
1. Empire Strikes back 2. Enter the dragon 3. Starship troopers 4, Aliens 5. To kill a mockingbird

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 244
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 3/5/2007 4:33:15 PM   
doncopey1

Routh was sensational casting, we all know he wasn't going to be better than Reeve so why do people keep comparing them? He did a fantastic job and was the only good thing in this overbloated, over rated and un-exciting ball of crap. I am a big Superman fan, but for me Returns belongs with Superman III and IV as opposed to I and II. Spacey did okay, but Gene Hackman was alot better.

(in reply to dantaous)
Post #: 245
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 3/5/2007 7:40:44 PM   
dantaous

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

Routh was sensational casting, we all know he wasn't going to be better than Reeve so why do people keep comparing them? He did a fantastic job and was the only good thing in this overbloated, over rated and un-exciting ball of crap. I am a big Superman fan, but for me Returns belongs with Superman III and IV as opposed to I and II. Spacey did okay, but Gene Hackman was alot better.

People are always gonna compare them because Reeves left such a big mark in the superman world.
I wouldnt say Routh did a fantastic job, but you are right when you say he was the only good thing in such an over rated film.

With great power....
Its a trick! Get an axe!
My all time top 5
1. Empire Strikes back 2. Enter the dragon 3. Starship troopers 4, Aliens 5. To kill a mockingbird

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 246
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 3/5/2007 8:24:30 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dantaous

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

People are always gonna compare them because Reeves left such a big mark in the superman world.
I wouldnt say Routh did a fantastic job, but you are right when you say he was the only good thing in such an over rated film.

why didn't he do a fantastic job? He avoided being a total carbon copy of Reeve, which was a welcome relief. He looked great, and possessed a wonderful and canny witt about him. He was a joy to watch and was a sensational find as Superman. His first major film too, a fantastic job. Just think it was nearly Nic Cage who was cast!

(in reply to dantaous)
Post #: 247
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 3/5/2007 9:42:21 PM   
Wilbert

Christopher Reeve was good but I don't quite understand why people rate him so highly. I saw him in a movie called Deathtrap years ago and he was great in it but I thought his Superman performance was very good but not truly great.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 248
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 4/5/2007 7:54:27 AM   
mrdoom14

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Christopher Reeve was good but I don't quite understand why people rate him so highly. I saw him in a movie called Deathtrap years ago and he was great in it but I thought his Superman performance was very good but not truly great.
For once I actualy agree with you. His performance was good but not outstanding.

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 249
RE: With a Bang! - 5/5/2007 11:00:10 AM   
theoriginalcynic

I unfairly judged this film when it came out. This is an awe inspiring amazing film! If you can get passed the casting of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane (she's too young for the part) and you should because she's a great actress you'll find much to enjoy. There's an amazing plane sequence that deserves at least three stars all by it's self! The special effects are superb, the casting is spot on and the soundtrack gives me the chills. It's nostalgia heavy which isn't a bad thing, the dialogue is great and the world needs a hero!! It's not all good, the ending doesn't really make sense... Superman lifts the cystals out of the water but how does he do it? He wouldn't have any strength in his body because of the Kryptonite embeded in it! Why does he stay in the hospital so long? The doctors and nurses must have took the meteor rock out of him? If they didn't then he'd be dead! This is just a minor flaw though in an otherwise great film that i think has been unfairly judged. Watch this on a large widescreen TV with sorround sound and prepare to be amazed... Superman has returned!

Post #: 250
RE: With a Bang! - 9/5/2007 11:51:31 PM   
yellow-bastard

Loved it,

One of my favourite films of 2006 and ranking highly on my superhero films -

1- Spiderman 2
2 - Batman begins
3 - The incredibles
4- SUPERMAN RETURNS
5 - X2

I was never really a fan of Supes  but I really thought this film was excellent, Singer should have made X3 first though. STUPID RATNER -

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 251
RE: Brilliant... - 15/5/2007 9:05:14 PM   
themightyhutch

this film was alright but it would have been soooooooooo much better if supes wasnt against a bald guy but instead a huge baddie. it would just be so much more cinematic..superman could've killed luther in a second, but some huge thing would have made it so much better
Post #: 252
RE: Brilliant... - 15/5/2007 10:01:06 PM   
mayor vaughn

Routh - great
Spacey - only ok
Bosworth - dreadful
Movie - was hoping for a lot more

2/5

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 253
RE: Brilliant... - 19/5/2007 11:02:51 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: dantaous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Batman Beyond

Best Superman movie in almost 30 years. Period.

Doubt that. This film was about as much fun as watching paint dry. Infact i would rather watch paint dry than sit through this garbage again.
hear! hear!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.
Post #: 254
RE: Brandon Routh was shafted! - 9/8/2007 1:21:24 AM   
darth silas

Overlong boring shite. 1/5

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.
Post #: 255
RE: Brandon Routh was shafted! - 9/8/2007 8:27:45 PM   
Gazdance

Best blockbuster of 2006.  Excellent from start to finish.  Thankfully not a wham-bam comic book slice of popcorn cinema but a thoughful, measured piece of film.  5/5.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 256
RE: Superman Returns - 9/8/2007 8:54:48 PM   
rich

Too much digital grading spoils the special effects, the kid subplot adds irritating plot holes and the whole film lacked any real fun. Plus it's all a re-tread of the Donner movie. Still it had some moderate entertainment value, most of the acting was fair and it at least tried to be different from the average summer flick.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 257
RE: Superman Returns - 9/8/2007 10:13:45 PM   
Mr Terrific

Just below average film for me. Was ok.
Singer seemed too concerned with making a rehash of the previous Donner films, this together with his own personal take on Superman leads to a film that I thought was uneven and disappointing.
I feel Singer is a fan of the Superman movies but not a fan of the character Superman.
He repeatedly makes him looks like a knucklehead, (his five year sojourn off into space to look for the now non-existant planet Krypton!) Selfish, (his attempt to seduce Lois Lane when she is a very stable relationship with another man) Weak and not very heroic (Witness his brutal handling at the hands of Lexs' goons. His screaming like a girl. Hell, even when Darkseid was repeatedly stomping on his head in his animated adventures he never screamed like a girl....he just sucked it up! )
I know Singer most probably wanted the scene to resemble a hate crime, but a scene like that would be much more suitable in X-men, IMO.
I can see Singer wanted to approach this Superman film from a different angle, looking at what Supermans abscence would mean to the world and the people he cares about. But in doing this he has seemed to forgotten about the character of Superman.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 258
RE: Superman Returns - 9/8/2007 11:38:44 PM   
Underscore

I have to say I felt a little disappointed by this on first watch. I'm a big fan of Singer, from his work on The Usual Suspects (one of my all time favourites) to both his X-Men film. So I thought that perhaps I had missed a beat when I watched it first, however to my disappointment, my opinion did not change. I still found it to be lacking. The fault doesn't lie with Singer but rather the script and the story which didn't progress, was bloated and didn't have half as much action as it should have had. However there are some highlights - Brandon Routh's performance, some stunning shots and the cracking aircraft sequence. Other than those, the film was a utter letdown - hell, even Kevin Spacey phoned it in!

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 259
RE: Superman Returns - 18/8/2007 4:48:10 AM   
Private Hudson

No-one loves the original Superman movie more than me (THE best comic book adaptation ever - forget Spider-Man and Batman), but Superman Returns was a pile of crap.

Honestly it was one of the worst blockbusters I have ever seen.

Well maybe that is unfair, but I would say it was a huge disappointment.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 260
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 31/8/2007 4:35:42 PM   
shool

Very Good. Not as good as Superman2 IMO.

A bit slow in places and lacking light heartedness.

Kevin Spacey - Superb

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 261
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 31/8/2007 10:27:57 PM   
rmarcella

Whenever we hear that a remake is due to be made we tend to get a little excited, yet at the same time we become extremely cautious on how much someone can totally ruin a classic beyond comprehension. Bryan Singer did the impossible. He took an unbeatable classic with an excellent cast and continued the story we all wanted ever since Superman 2 and turned it into the best superhero film of all time! The plot was thick, Brandon nailed a role which I thought could never be anyone elses apart from the late Christoper Reeve and Kevin Spacey was a stroke of absolute genius casting. I was in awe of the films breath taking effects and the nostalgic feel that the original score gave me way back when. This is a must see for everyone with an appreciation for films. Please, if you haven't alreday, see it! and if you have watch it again and get ready for the next installment. Mr Singer, if you read this, I would make a great mail boy for the daily planet.

Post #: 262
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 30/4/2008 9:59:27 AM   
Dukez

This movie was dreadful

Post #: 263
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 8/5/2008 1:25:15 PM   
zuked

not very good

4.4/10

< Message edited by zuked -- 8/5/2008 1:26:00 PM >

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 264
RE: Superman Returns - 13/5/2008 3:01:47 PM   
DanCurley

Ha! I'd not read that review up until now but knew of the five stars.

"It’s all about heart — not that the spectacle falters; this is the finest popular entertainment since the Rings trilogy closed. Superman doesn’t fly — he soars."

Fuckin snores more like it. One of the most awful wastes of two hours ever committed to celluloid and everyone in it deserves be spanked on the bottom.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.
Post #: 265
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/5/2008 3:12:58 PM   
Mason Verger

Probably the best Superman Returns review that you're likely to find:

RIP SUPERMAN RETURNS

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 266
RE: Superman Returns - 14/5/2008 3:24:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Please peruse my post below....

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 14/5/2008 3:32:29 PM >

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 267
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/5/2008 3:24:13 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

Probably the best Superman Returns review that you're likely to find:

RIP SUPERMAN RETURNS

Marathon moaning at it's finest. Take note, future IT consultants - this is how you spend the weekend down in your mother's basement.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 14/5/2008 3:26:11 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 268
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/5/2008 3:30:03 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Still a bad film though.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 269
RE: Superman Returns - 14/5/2008 3:31:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

Superman doesn't fly — he soars."

Fuckin snores more like it.

Considering what this movie is like, that 'Superman soars' bit is without a doubt one of the saddest fucking lines I've ever read in a review. Whoever wrote that wears rubber pants to bed

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI