Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns (2006)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 16/11/2006 9:54:41 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

And Bond should have ended with Connery? After all it was not a remake, it was a different story altogether, a different film. Reeve is not Superman. No one is. He just played the part. Give someone else the chance.

Hi bozo again  -  Well I think I would go a step further I think Bond should have ended with Moore he made a good tongue in cheek successor and very laconic - something I do not think our latest Bond will do  -

I agree with what you say about actors just playing a part  - but there are occasions when  talent drops in and an actor will make a role his own  - Wolverine is a good example played by Hugh Jackman  - I doubt anyone could follow that and that is the way I felt about Reeve.

Moore is actually my fave Bond. But every actor who has played the part did it in his own special way. Moore was ironic. Dalton - gritty and real. Brosnan - a little bit cruel but too serious. Ultimately, I think, such characters are bigger than the actors that portray them. I can understand that when an actor plays a part extremely well, there will be those who will forever associate that character with the actor who played it. But I think that's wrong. I always try to keep an open mind - to appreciate the performance on its own merits, to appreciate all different spins on a character, all the different actos that have played it in their way.
Of course, sometimes casting can be quite doubtful - Hartnet for The Jocker my prime example. But let's see how this will turn out.  

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 151
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 20/11/2006 11:08:52 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

quote:

quote:

And Bond should have ended with Connery? After all it was not a remake, it was a different story altogether, a different film. Reeve is not Superman. No one is. He just played the part. Give someone else the chance.

Hi bozo again  -  Well I think I would go a step further I think Bond should have ended with Moore he made a good tongue in cheek successor and very laconic - something I do not think our latest Bond will do  -

I agree with what you say about actors just playing a part  - but there are occasions when  talent drops in and an actor will make a role his own  - Wolverine is a good example played by Hugh Jackman  - I doubt anyone could follow that and that is the way I felt about Reeve.

Moore is actually my fave Bond. But every actor who has played the part did it in his own special way. Moore was ironic. Dalton - gritty and real. Brosnan - a little bit cruel but too serious. Ultimately, I think, such characters are bigger than the actors that portray them. I can understand that when an actor plays a part extremely well, there will be those who will forever associate that character with the actor who played it. But I think that's wrong. I always try to keep an open mind - to appreciate the performance on its own merits, to appreciate all different spins on a character, all the different actos that have played it in their way.
Of course, sometimes casting can be quite doubtful - Hartnet for The Jocker my prime example. But let's see how this will turn out.  

Yes there was very little in it between Connery and Moore but I agree with you  Bond was my fave also. I also agree each actor brought a different style or delivery to the character which is good.  I keep an open mind but you cannot say that you would  not firmly say an actor has made a part his or her own because they look the part, they played the part, and may be they made you, cry and all sorts of emotions but it does happend AN ACTOR WILL make a part his or her  own - it will not be intentioal but all the right things for the part are there at the right time with the right person and there is that special performance we always look for.   For example, you cannot replace Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind  NO WAY.

They ceased being Clark and Vivien and Rhett and Scarlet were born and have stayed in their image.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 152
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 25/11/2006 6:47:05 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Some Superman Returns fans are currently going through "the honeymoon phase". In a few year years time, they may see that it's a train wreck of a movie.  

Well I don't think it would  be a train wreck I just honestly think it should be laid to rest

I'm with Axel. Have you seen SR?

Yup but I honestly think it should have stayed with Christopher Reeve  - but that is just me .  Well have our favourites and sometimes it is terrific when we get films that give us a damn good story with normal sidelines, murder, romance, westerns, magicians, fear, a touch of evil fantasy etc..........Yup but I honestly think it should have stayed with Christopher Reeve  - but that is just me .  Well have our favourites and sometimes it is terrific when we get films that give us a damn good story with normal sidelines, murder, romance, westerns, magicians, fear, a touch of evil fantasy etc..........

Essentially then, your criticism of SR boils down to believing it should have been left alone posr Reeve? Considering the various incarnations of many popular franchises, that's a weak criticism. Don't forget many comic book fans thought the X-men films were a big mistake, because they never felt it came up to the standard of the comics.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 153
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 25/11/2006 6:58:52 PM   
bozo

I judge a film not on whether it's a good adaptation, but on whether it's a good film. 

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 154
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 4:35:35 PM   
bozo

quote:

Empire
January: page 178
Empire's second review has given it 4 stars (one star less). Their fourth review should be the one that finally nails it.  It's just a pity that many people can't defend it without resorting to snobbery.

Defend it? What are you - a prosecutor or something?
Post #: 155
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 4:52:22 PM   
furrybastard

It's such a fine line between snobbery and sincerity, isn't it? No, wait, it's not.

I'd like to see this snobbery you mention Mason, because the only person I'm seeing it from is you; constantly dismissing arguments which justify their rationale, attacking those who disagree with you and resurrecting old threads in order to make snide comments. If you read this thread you'll see most of the posts from those who enjoyed the film are heartfelt and passionate with no hint of snobbery at all.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 9/12/2006 5:03:46 PM >

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 156
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 5:57:22 PM   
Mason Verger

Defend / support, you get the idea.

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

It's such a fine line between snobbery and sincerity, isn't it? No, wait, it's not.

I'd like to see this snobbery you mention Mason, because the only person I'm seeing it from is you; constantly dismissing arguments which justify their rationale, attacking those who disagree with you and resurrecting old threads in order to make snide comments. If you read this thread you'll see most of the posts from those who enjoyed the film are heartfelt and passionate with no hint of snobbery at all.

It may be an old thread, but it's relevant again now that a new review is in the magazine. It's funny how most people who don't like SR criticise SR, while quite a few people who do like SR (instead of supporting SR) criticise the people who don't like SR

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 157
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 7:19:00 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

t
quote:

It's funny how most people who don't like SR criticise SR, while quite a few people who do like SR (instead of supporting SR) criticise the people who don't like SR

Which I've never seen you do, not with your own words anyway. And if that sentence isn't the pot calling the kettle black...!

As for the latter part of your sentence, go ahead and read this thread - you'll see plenty of support from numerous people, including myself. In fact, the only poster I've ever criticised is you and it's not for disliking SR; it has more to do with your inability to form a coherent argument or deal with any kind of disagreement in a mature manner. Every argument I've had with other users has been in the context of the film - I also remember getting into numerous discussions with sanchia who could back up his points in a straightforward and intelligent manner. I have not had that experience with you.

What you're saying in that sentence has absolutely no validity and is a vain attempt at once again dismissing people's opinions simply because they go against your own. Your last post accused people who liked SR of snobbery ("It's just a pity that many people can't defend it without resorting to snobbery.") so I would say it is you who is criticising people for liking something, rather than offering up any kind of argument in opposition!

I'm all for discussion but this is ridiculous. Simply because you didn't like the film doesn't give you leave to criticise those who did in numerous threads and at every opportunity. Plenty of other people didn't like the film as well and have explained why, not only in this very thread but in others throughout the forum as well. Yet they have not felt the need to attack and antagonise the people who genuinely thought it was a great film.

With that sentence you have shown just how misguided and hypocritical you have been. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about the film, that's fine by me. If you want to take potshots at those who genuinely liked the movie, or make wildly exaggerated criticisms without backing up your points, then I'll pick you up on it and defend a film I honestly think is worth defending.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 158
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 8:03:10 PM   
sanchia

Thanks  furry

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 159
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 8:34:38 PM   
bozo

just don't arrange a meeting, ok?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 160
RE: Superman Returns - 9/12/2006 11:20:26 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

t
quote:

It's funny how most people who don't like SR criticise SR, while quite a few people who do like SR (instead of supporting SR) criticise the people who don't like SR

Which I've never seen you do, not with your own words anyway. And if that sentence isn't the pot calling the kettle black...!

As for the latter part of your sentence, go ahead and read this thread - you'll see plenty of support from numerous people, including myself. In fact, the only poster I've ever criticised is you and it's not for disliking SR; it has more to do with your inability to form a coherent argument or deal with any kind of disagreement in a mature manner. Every argument I've had with other users has been in the context of the film - I also remember getting into numerous discussions with sanchia who could back up his points in a straightforward and intelligent manner. I have not had that experience with you.

What you're saying in that sentence has absolutely no validity and is a vain attempt at once again dismissing people's opinions simply because they go against your own. Your last post accused people who liked SR of snobbery ("It's just a pity that many people can't defend it without resorting to snobbery.") so I would say it is you who is criticising people for liking something, rather than offering up any kind of argument in opposition!

I'm all for discussion but this is ridiculous. Simply because you didn't like the film doesn't give you leave to criticise those who did in numerous threads and at every opportunity. Plenty of other people didn't like the film as well and have explained why, not only in this very thread but in others throughout the forum as well. Yet they have not felt the need to attack and antagonise the people who genuinely thought it was a great film.

With that sentence you have shown just how misguided and hypocritical you have been. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about the film, that's fine by me. If you want to take potshots at those who genuinely liked the movie, or make wildly exaggerated criticisms without backing up your points, then I'll pick you up on it and defend a film I honestly think is worth defending.

furry I am a heterosexual male. But after that speech, I fucking love you.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

Post #: 161
RE: Superman Returns - 10/12/2006 11:56:46 AM   
elzupasmonkey

God. Awful.

I've never seen a hero faint so much in my life.

http://tiny.cc/odytmw

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 162
RE: Superman Returns - 10/12/2006 12:25:13 PM   
Mason Verger

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 10/12/2006 12:27:36 PM >

Post #: 163
RE: Superman Returns - 10/12/2006 12:26:01 PM   
Mason Verger

The last time that  I checked, this was a film discussion forum. If someone want's to come onto it and offer their opinion that "Batman Begins was shit" then I'll offer my opinion of why I disagree. It's called free speech and I' ll defend that persons right to express his opinion. His dislike of a movie doesn't bother me in the slightest. It won't cause me to react like some humourless fundamentalist whose religion has just been offended.  

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 164
RE: RE: - 10/12/2006 1:10:59 PM   
BatFan

Exactly, it came out beginning of July, and there has consistently been arguments about it since. I can't remember a film that has provoked this much debate before.

Post #: 165
RE: Will I regret this - 27/12/2006 3:28:03 PM   
sanchia

As some are aware I'm not the greatest fan of SR but I am surprised at the hammering it is getting in the IMDB Worst of 2006 poll.  I will admit not too many votes have been cast yet but it is making an appearance in pretty much every category.

Worst Picture - 9th place so far.
Worst Actor - Brandon Routh 7th place (I disagree with this one as he did a decent job)
Worst Actress - Kate Bosworth 2nd place (can't really disagree that she was pretty poor but how much was her and how much external factors....)
Worst Supporting Actor - Kevin Spacey 5th place (he hammed it up but wasn't bad. Gormless child should have taken this one)
Worst Supporting Actress - Another appearance for Kate Bosworth this time 7th
Worst Director - Bryan Singer 8th place
Worst Screenplay - 7th place (some aspects of the plot were decidedly poor and it definitely needed tightening up so in some ways I can see this one)
Worst Song - First lack of appearance.
Worst Visual Effects - 5th (disagree in that the effects were very worthwhile and one of the best aspects especially the flying effect)
Worst Title - 10th (it is what it says it is a decent title)
Worst Poster- 8th (I don't know what poster they were looking at but some of the designs were very good)
Worst Trailer - 8th (the teaser was a very good trailer)

Overall I think it just reflects the division the film has caused in veiwers and  shows the polarising effect.  It doesn't have such a good showing in the best of 2006 only appearing in 3 of the 15 categories although more people have voted in the best poll and a couple of categories are not relevant to the film..

< Message edited by sanchia -- 27/12/2006 3:33:26 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 166
RE: Will I regret this - 27/12/2006 5:58:25 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It's hardly Quest for Peace.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 167
RE: Will I regret this - 28/12/2006 5:45:45 PM   
sanchia

That was my thoughts in that whilst I personally do not rate it as a brilliant film I can see that it is a decent enough, if flawed, film (I also do recognise there may be plans for the sequel which will pull some of the flaws together).  It does in many ways show that there was a lot of hate for the film and I do tend to think people are just pulling the name out for every category to reflect that hate even if it isn't true.  Incidentally the categories it is named for in the Best section are Best Action film (kind of ironic in that a lot of people complain it was lacking in action), Best Popcorn film and (I think) Best family film (not necessarily one I could agree with there).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 168
RE: Will I regret this - 29/12/2006 9:55:40 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

As some are aware I'm not the greatest fan of SR but I am surprised at the hammering it is getting in the IMDB Worst of 2006 poll.  I will admit not too many votes have been cast yet but it is making an appearance in pretty much every category.

Worst Picture - 9th place so far.
Worst Actor - Brandon Routh 7th place (I disagree with this one as he did a decent job)
Worst Actress - Kate Bosworth 2nd place (can't really disagree that she was pretty poor but how much was her and how much external factors....)
Worst Supporting Actor - Kevin Spacey 5th place (he hammed it up but wasn't bad. Gormless child should have taken this one)
Worst Supporting Actress - Another appearance for Kate Bosworth this time 7th
Worst Director - Bryan Singer 8th place
Worst Screenplay - 7th place (some aspects of the plot were decidedly poor and it definitely needed tightening up so in some ways I can see this one)
Worst Song - First lack of appearance.
Worst Visual Effects - 5th (disagree in that the effects were very worthwhile and one of the best aspects especially the flying effect)
Worst Title - 10th (it is what it says it is a decent title)
Worst Poster- 8th (I don't know what poster they were looking at but some of the designs were very good)
Worst Trailer - 8th (the teaser was a very good trailer)

Overall I think it just reflects the division the film has caused in veiwers and  shows the polarising effect.  It doesn't have such a good showing in the best of 2006 only appearing in 3 of the 15 categories although more people have voted in the best poll and a couple of categories are not relevant to the film..

There was nothing wrong with that title.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 169
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 20/2/2007 1:06:23 PM   
muse_nut18

Right Ive never really liked the previous Superman movies...and I never thought id watch the new one, but one night, bored out of my head, I thought why not and ordered it on Sky Box office...

Let me start off with saying it was a waste of £3.90.

Wayyyyy to much CGI...there were areas in the movie that could have done without it and it just made it look tacky, fake and effortless...I dont think I need to say much more really...aw and the only thing I did like was Kevin Spacey...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 170
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 21/2/2007 9:07:26 AM   
Daniel Kelly

In a Summer of high profile dissapointments (X3, Pirates 2) and surprisingly good films (Cars, The Omen, Little Miss Sunshine) Superman returns was one of the Summers only films, that delivered with no frills or strings attached. Its a little plodding in parts and thee no question in that Singer has strung is film out for to long, but look beyond those faults and you're bound to discover one of 2006's better films. The performances are all rather good, Brandon Routh was a great little piece of casting as the man of steel, and Kevin Spacey is as good as you'd expect as evil Lex Luther. The only problem within the ensemble is Kate Bosworth who looks great but brings little to a rather important character, that of Lois Lane.
The effects and set pieces all look great and manage to be exciting and interesting, unlike another of last Summer's stinkers the effects heavy Posiedon. All in all worth a look from all, 4 Stars.

< Message edited by Daniel Kelly -- 21/2/2007 9:09:51 AM >

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

Post #: 171
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 9:11:40 AM   
Timon

I can't believe the amount of grief Singer seems to be receiving for daring to make Superman more than a simple action film. I thought it was one of the most intelligent sophisticated blockbusters of recent years.

And for the last time. It was NOT a Kryptonite island. The Kryptonite was diluted through the crystal hence Kal-El not feeling the effects when he first landed on the island and why he wasn't killed straight out while lifting it. If you're going to criticse the film, at least watch it properly first.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 172
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 9:15:41 AM   
BatFan

This is a problem Timon that you are going to get with a lot of Superman Returns haters, because it's a comic book movie they think they don't really have to pay too much attention to the film, so they think it's shit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 173
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 9:25:20 AM   
Daniel Kelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

This is a problem Timon that you are going to get with a lot of Superman Returns haters, because it's a comic book movie they think they don't really have to pay too much attention to the film, so they think it's shit.

You're 100% right you know, people will hit this very good adaptation for being crap but when Ghost Rider opens the majority will give it glowing reviews, because its freakin dumb!

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 174
it's SUPER man! - 21/2/2007 9:58:34 AM   
Hobbes79

Indeed.

< Message edited by Hobbes79 -- 21/2/2007 9:59:11 AM >

(in reply to Daniel Kelly)
Post #: 175
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 10:35:10 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I can't believe the amount of grief Singer seems to be receiving for daring to make Superman more than a simple action film. I thought it was one of the most intelligent sophisticated blockbusters of recent years.

And for the last time. It was NOT a Kryptonite island. The Kryptonite was diluted through the crystal hence Kal-El not feeling the effects when he first landed on the island and why he wasn't killed straight out while lifting it. If you're going to criticse the film, at least watch it properly first.

This plotline was just weak beyond belief. Luthor creates a Kryptonite infused island to ward off Supes who subsequently turns up and throws the whole thing into space? Kinda easy wasn't it

Then to show how much he had exerted himself he falls back to earth where we are led to believe that his life is hanging on a thread.

Because you know for a stone cold fact that he isn't actually going to die it completely removes any emotional impact from the ending - lo and behold Supes wakes up and we can all breath a sigh of relief.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 176
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 10:45:26 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

This plotline was just weak beyond belief. Luthor creates a Kryptonite infused island to ward off Supes who subsequently turns up and throws the whole thing into space? Kinda easy wasn't it

Then to show how much he had exerted himself he falls back to earth where we are led to believe that his life is hanging on a thread.

Because you know for a stone cold fact that he isn't actually going to die it completely removes any emotional impact from the ending - lo and behold Supes wakes up and we can all breath a sigh of relief.

It wasn't THAT easy. He did practically die doing it and had to get a solar adrenaline shot beforehand.

Although to cure him surely the medical staff had to just open the blinds?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 177
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 21/2/2007 10:52:02 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

It wasn't THAT easy. He did practically die doing it and had to get a solar adrenaline shot beforehand.

Yeah but he didn't die and we all knew he wasn't going to!

Although to cure him surely the medical staff had to just open the blinds?

Very true!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 178
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 21/2/2007 10:55:43 PM   
ednamode

I loved it, but then i was shocked to see loads of people slating it on the internet, Bryan Singers vision was awesome, there was no way they could have continued on from the last two.In short, Great Movie-dont understand how people were dissapointed with it!

Post #: 179
RE: Don't waste 2 1/2 hours! - 17/4/2007 2:10:36 AM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

The opposite is true:

http://www.poobala.com/supermanreturnsstinks.html

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI