Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns (2006)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 12:50:32 AM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

The fact that Superman Returns underperformed at the box office DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PROVE IT'S A BAD FILM.
The list of underperforming films throughout Hollywood history is filled with cult classics, like Brazil (any Gilliam, really), The Shawshank Redemption (if we're talking cinema gross), Fight Club and more and more and more.
Actually almost all of my top 10 films underperformed box office wise. Maybe it's a proof of quality?

I don't find it a bad film but I do feel that it does not deserve anywhere near the reverence it seems to be getting.  One thing that can be said about it is that almost as many people don't really rate it or hate is as seem to really enjoy it or love it.  It is a film which has truly divided the audience which surely a great and truly brilliant film what not do to this degree.  There are always haters of even great films but this film has the most apparent dislike aimed at it that I have seen and at the same time the most fervent fans. Of course it may just be that people see different things in it or gain a connection where others do not.

Of course it might be my cynicism as this film is the one which inspired my "Is cynicism the bane of the moviegoer" thread on movie musings.

I think you are right but I would go a step further and saythat Superman should have been left alone so we could remember the best Superman of Christopher Reeve and it certainly did not have the panache from Singer as he did in the first X Men films

Surely Singer's film is better than Donner's? At least for me.

Well it really depends on what Singer is doing   - he appears to have lost the plot a bit at the moment.   He needs to settle down  - I read he jumped ship on another film  - perhaps he has disappointed himself

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 121
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 12:11:47 PM   
bozo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The fact that Superman Returns underperformed at the box office DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PROVE IT'S A BAD FILM.
The list of underperforming films throughout Hollywood history is filled with cult classics, like Brazil (any Gilliam, really), The Shawshank Redemption (if we're talking cinema gross), Fight Club and more and more and more.
Actually almost all of my top 10 films underperformed box office wise. Maybe it's a proof of quality?

I don't find it a bad film but I do feel that it does not deserve anywhere near the reverence it seems to be getting.  One thing that can be said about it is that almost as many people don't really rate it or hate is as seem to really enjoy it or love it.  It is a film which has truly divided the audience which surely a great and truly brilliant film what not do to this degree.  There are always haters of even great films but this film has the most apparent dislike aimed at it that I have seen and at the same time the most fervent fans. Of course it may just be that people see different things in it or gain a connection where others do not.

Of course it might be my cynicism as this film is the one which inspired my "Is cynicism the bane of the moviegoer" thread on movie musings.

I think you are right but I would go a step further and saythat Superman should have been left alone so we could remember the best Superman of Christopher Reeve and it certainly did not have the panache from Singer as he did in the first X Men films

Well it really depends on what Singer is doing   - he appears to have lost the plot a bit at the moment.   He needs to settle down  - I read he jumped ship on another film  - perhaps he has disappointed himself

It shouldn't matter that much to him how much money SR made. The critics and most fans loved it. He should be proud.

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 122
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 5:06:04 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobsmith1698

but I enjoyed X3 far more the SR. You know when you need a no-brainer to sit down and just chill to?

X3 shouldn't have been one of those types of film.

Agreed.  That's the Marvel fan in me talking though.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 123
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 5:49:53 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

It shouldn't matter that much to him how much money SR made. The critics and most fans loved it. He should be proud.

Did they? The vast majority of people I've talked to thought it was disappointing

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 124
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 5:57:52 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Did they? The vast majority of people I've talked to thought it was disappointing

The critics certainly did.  And I, as a fan, fucking adore it-it is in the pantheon of only 3 movies that I have seen more than once in the cinema.

And the other people I spoke to fucking adore it as well.  I cannot wait for the DVD-although I imagine it'll lose some of it's epic-ness on a TV screen.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 125
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 6:28:10 PM   
sanchia

Of 13 people I know who have seen it and I have discussed it with only three actually really enjoyed it,  seven thought it was ok if a mediocre for the most part and the others absolutely despise it.  On IMDB those giving it average or less than average votes exceeds those giving it a high rating.  As I said there seems to be a high level of diverse opinion with regards to the film.  Some of the Critics were also not fond such as Roger Ebert who said "This is a glum, lackluster movie in which even the big effects sequences seem dutiful instead of exhilarating" The New York Times classed it as "leaden" Just a couple of negative reviews and there were quite a few along similar lines.  It appears the critics were as divided as the viewing public.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/11/2006 6:36:17 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 126
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 8:25:30 PM   
bozo

OK, let me rephrase that... I loved it. Empire loved it.
He should be proud.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 127
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 8:49:13 PM   
BatFan

I think that Superman Returns will forever be a topic in film fan's conversations.
fan 1: I loved it
fan 2: I hated it

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 128
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 9:29:23 PM   
sanchia

I think there are probably a lot more who thought it was ok but not one for the DVD collection.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 129
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 8/11/2006 9:37:47 PM   
bozo

I was left with the impression that it was the old loveit/hateit thing. You know, like Signs.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 130
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 10/11/2006 11:46:01 PM   
Mason Verger

Some Superman Returns fans are currently going through "the honeymoon phase". In a few year years time, they may see that it's a train wreck of a movie.  

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 131
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 12:07:58 AM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Some Superman Returns fans are currently going through "the honeymoon phase". In a few year years time, they may see that it's a train wreck of a movie.  

Doubtful. Singer's films usually become better after every next viewing.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 132
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 1:06:25 AM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well the money factor must come into it because they will need to meet the budget and not make a loss.   The other thing the cash returns shows is how many people went to see it and at the end against other films it did not do well but that does not mean to say that if Singer does a sequel it will not do well it has more chance of being much better.  Actually the criticis and fans that saw it did love it, but a lot of people just did not go and see it which was much as a surprise to me as anyone else.  I have two friends who are avid Superman fans but they did not like it SR and were very disappointed.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 133
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 9:40:14 AM   
BatFan

quote:

The same could be said for the other half that are going through 'the break up phase' In a few years time they may see that it is in fact a masterpiece.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

Post #: 134
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 10:15:55 AM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

The same could be said for the other half that are going through 'the break up phase' In a few years time they may see that it is in fact a masterpiece.

I'm sure.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 135
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 10:18:08 AM   
bozo

quote:

Well the money factor must come into it because they will need to meet the budget and not make a loss.   The other thing the cash returns shows is how many people went to see it and at the end against other films it did not do well but that does not mean to say that if Singer does a sequel it will not do well it has more chance of being much better.  Actually the criticis and fans that saw it did love it, but a lot of people just did not go and see it which was much as a surprise to me as anyone else.  I have two friends who are avid Superman fans but they did not like it SR and were very disappointed.

For that I blame the dreadful Pirates 2. For shame.

< Message edited by bozo -- 11/11/2006 10:19:18 AM >

Post #: 136
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 11/11/2006 5:23:29 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

Have you seen SR yet? Only not long ago you mentioned that you'd not seen it, yet you continue to comment on it, without saying much as to why you don't like it. The financial returns are imporatant to the studios, but as has been pointed out before, it is hardly a criticism of the film itself.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

Post #: 137
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 12/11/2006 4:03:07 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

SR could have been so much worse.  It could have been Nic Cage with giant spiders and polar bears..oh my.  I think we should appreciate the quality film we got - loyal to the originals and it never got out of control...ya gotta respect versimilitude or whatever.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 138
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 12/11/2006 4:13:02 PM   
darth silas

sr returns was awful.and im a lifelong fan of the character.it was dull,badly written and lois lane looked anorexic!.x3 was way better

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 139
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 12/11/2006 4:15:47 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

sr returns was awful.and im a lifelong fan of the character.it was dull,badly written and lois lane looked anorexic!.x3 was way better

You're obviously ill.  Go to the doctor and get yourself checked.  X3 blows donkey mambis.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 140
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 12/11/2006 4:20:41 PM   
darth silas

x3 was fast moving,action packed,and full of great characters.sr had none of these qualities.just an annoying kid''i hope he gets better,i like him''ugh!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 141
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 12/11/2006 7:11:19 PM   
bozo

quote:

x3 was fast moving,action packed,and full of great characters.sr had none of these qualities.just an annoying kid''i hope he gets better,i like him''ugh!

x3 better than SR? Are you serious? x3 was admittedly enjoyable, if very flawed (horrendous dialogue) but SR was great. It was just so... classy.
And about Nic Cage as Superman.
I'm not sure whether it should be ,  or.
I'll go with

THANK GOD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! 

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 142
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 13/11/2006 10:56:04 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

Well I don't think it would  be a train wreck I just honestly think it should be laid to rest

Post #: 143
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 13/11/2006 10:59:04 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

Ah yes, the fans the public can be so fickle at times one minute they are with you a 100% and the next something different has caught their eye and off they pop.[image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m16.gif[/image]

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 144
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/11/2006 2:05:09 AM   
Gazz

quote:

quote:

Well I don't think it would  be a train wreck I just honestly think it should be laid to rest

I'm with Axel. Have you seen SR?

Post #: 145
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/11/2006 12:29:26 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

x3 better than SR? Are you serious? x3 was admittedly enjoyable, if very flawed (horrendous dialogue) but SR was great. It was just so... classy.
And about Nic Cage as Superman.
I'm not sure whether it should be ,  or.
I'll go with

THANK GOD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! 
i agree with you there.i like nic cage but not as superman.sr still sucked though

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 146
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/11/2006 6:50:19 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

quote:

quote:

I'm with Axel. Have you seen SR?

Yup but I honestly think it should have stayed with Christopher Reeve  - but that is just me .  Well have our favourites and sometimes it is terrific when we get films that give us a damn good story with normal sidelines, murder, romance, westerns, magicians, fear, a touch of evil fantasy etc..........Yup but I honestly think it should have stayed with Christopher Reeve  - but that is just me .  Well have our favourites and sometimes it is terrific when we get films that give us a damn good story with normal sidelines, murder, romance, westerns, magicians, fear, a touch of evil fantasy etc..........

Mind you I liked Axel Foley LOL

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 147
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/11/2006 7:28:17 PM   
bozo

And Bond should have ended with Connery? After all it was not a remake, it was a different story altogether, a different film. Reeve is not Superman. No one is. He just played the part. Give someone else the chance.

Post #: 148
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 15/11/2006 11:18:20 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

And Bond should have ended with Connery? After all it was not a remake, it was a different story altogether, a different film. Reeve is not Superman. No one is. He just played the part. Give someone else the chance.

Hi bozo again  -  Well I think I would go a step further I think Bond should have ended with Moore he made a good tongue in cheek successor and very laconic - something I do not think our latest Bond will do  -

I agree with what you say about actors just playing a part  - but there are occasions when  talent drops in and an actor will make a role his own  - Wolverine is a good example played by Hugh Jackman  - I doubt anyone could follow that and that is the way I felt about Reeve.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 149
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 16/11/2006 4:30:25 PM   
*emz6*

brosans a good bond. die another day was prish but Goldeneye's pretty class and Tomorrow Never Dies isnt bad either.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI