Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns (2006)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:32:41 PM   
Indio

But she didn't want Lex to know that Superman was the father, she obviously thought he wouldn't care if his father was someone Luthor had never heard of.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Cloud/Strife)
Post #: 61
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:34:21 PM   
Noelg25

I was thinking the exact same thing...surely you would have thought Jason was Lois and Richard's son...but it seems strange how quickly after he left she met Richard. Altho that part of the movie really screws things up...think of it this way...Superman becomes 'mortal' and sleeps with Lois but at what point does she realise she is pregnant? What if she knew say about 2-3 weeks after that night. Then sometime in those 2-3 weeks she met Richard. Remember Clark did 'kiss' Lois in a bid to make her forget what just happened. But I think someone here mentioned that Clark kissed her not to forget everything that happened upto that point but to forget Superman and Clark were the same person. And I do kinda agree with that because in all honesty Lois kept thinking to herself are Clark and Superman the same person everytime Clark vanished and Superman appeared and it finally hit me just this second when I watched Superman Returns how Lois didnt even click that Clark had been gone the same length of time as Superman did. Altho there was that moment when Richard started asking about Clarks statistics to Lois thinking what Lois use to think. So yes it is possible that after that 'kiss' from Clark, she forgot that Clark and Supes were the same man and when the both left she wasnt that bothered, altho still had feelings for Superman and then met Richard. My theory but may not be accurate.

Man Of Steel will rock!

2013 is Superman's year!

Metropolis, IL here I come for Superman Celebration!!

(in reply to Cloud/Strife)
Post #: 62
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 20/7/2006 1:41:08 PM   
Dr Geek

I was blown away by the opening titles of Superman Returns (The trip quite literally through the Universe from Kryton to Earth was breathtaking) At first a couple of years ago I was a little perplexed by Bryan Singers dicision to leave the X Men movies too  take on the much loved Superman franchise, but now all is forgiven. Not only has Singer delivered a fantastic movie but has also revolutionised the Superman movies. Three cheers for the master of  Superhero Coolness.
A hugh round of aplause for Brandon Routh aswell! Not only did he stay loyal to the much loved Reeve's Superman but also moulded his own character (not an easy thing to do). I urge any film lover to see Superman Returns, its long but its worth it. Packed full of style, with lots of Special Effects, a real popcorn treat. **** 

Gooday sir, I SAID GOODAY!!

'I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.' Woody Allen quoting Groucho Marx
'That Rabbits Dynamite....Brother Maynard, bring
us the Holy Hand grenade' King Arthur
Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 20/7/2006 1:42:02 PM   
Dr Geek

I was blown away by the opening titles of Superman Returns (The trip quite literally through the Universe from Kryton to Earth was breathtaking) At first a couple of years ago I was a little perplexed by Bryan Singers dicision to leave the X Men movies too  take on the much loved Superman franchise, but now all is forgiven. Not only has Singer delivered a fantastic movie but has also revolutionised the Superman movies. Three cheers for the master of  Superhero Coolness.
A hugh round of aplause for Brandon Routh aswell! Not only did he stay loyal to the much loved Reeve's Superman but also moulded his own character (not an easy thing to do). I urge any film lover to see Superman Returns, its long but its worth it. Packed full of style, with lots of Special Effects, a real popcorn treat. **** 

Gooday sir, I SAID GOODAY!!

'I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.' Woody Allen quoting Groucho Marx
'That Rabbits Dynamite....Brother Maynard, bring
us the Holy Hand grenade' King Arthur
Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

Post #: 64
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 11:26:34 AM   
maxpower1975

I can only think of one word to some up this offering...Disappointing.
I think that Routh and Spacey play the parts very well and certainly maintain the mannerisms of their predecessors, Reeves and Hackman, but the film itself just didn't fly for me.
Storyline was very weak and predictable. The supporting characters lacked any sort of depth and Lois Lane (Bosworth) didn't convince me at all. c'mon kid. Let's
me and you creep onto this boat and see what's happening..Hello. Who's this. Why Arch-villain Lex Luthor....
Okay the flying scenes were fantastic and some of the action sequences were superb, but this level of effects are now commonplace in all recent films.
Weak plot..Oh no how can I beat Superman thinks Luthor? I know some Kryptonite will do...Not enough I'm afraid.
Therein lies the rub. Compared to such other flawed super heroes like Batman & Spiderman we can really involve ourselves
with their characters and see their human side shine through the costume. Superman is just to powerful. What else can he be pitted against. I always think that the Lex Luthor thing
is a 'Last straw' scenario...Pit the S-man againt Doomsday and there we might have a story..Yeah it will be more action than romance, but come on..
A love triangle with Lois, Superman and LL's fella..give me a break
Yeah the kid idea might work..Maybe that will be the sequel..Superman's kid against Superman..The kid is invulnerable to Kryptonite..he could kick Superman's a*%*
The more I type the more I think what a bad film I just watched. My last point should be 2 1/2 hours..You have got to be kidding

Max Power

Post #: 65
Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 12:39:36 PM   
Alistair

Bryan Singer has stated that the sequel will have an alien badguy at this year's Comic Con. So, it looks like he's attached to direct, but he said that sorting sequels out is always a bit 'iffy'.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to maxpower1975)
Post #: 66
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 2:58:07 PM   
zombiemaster

Not as great as empire made out

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

Post #: 67
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 10:25:16 PM   
dr. salvador

quote:

ORIGINAL: zombiemaster

I agree. The overall film was good but the story was a bit thin in places and why can't Superman firght any real villians instead of a bald guy intent on being rich?

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 68
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 10:33:53 PM   
dr. salvador

quote:

ORIGINAL: zombiemaster

I agree. The overall film was good but the story was a bit thin in places and why can't Superman fight any real villians instead of a bald guy intent on being rich?

SPOILER!!!! (possibly)

How come when Superman is lifting the rock kryptonity thing out of the water how come he doesn't faint or lose his powers like he usually does when the tinniest bit of kryptonite comes near him?

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 69
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 22/7/2006 11:55:16 PM   
Sundance

I don't like Superman. The first film is entertaining enough, but I'm not a huge fan. He's too perfect. He has a stupid costume, even by superhero standards. And Batman would so kick his ass.

But I loved Superman Returns. Maybe because I wasn't expecting as much as some people, but it is a five star film in my opinion. Bryan Singer has done a great job. The opening credits really make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, even if you're not a Superman fan, and the plane crash is so well done: not all OTT spectacle. The balance of light and dark and silliness and seriousness is perfect. Routh is wonderful, Kate Bosworth won me round by the end of the film, and it's nice to see James Marsden given something to do for once. Kevin Spacey... fantastic. Can't say much more than that. And someone has to be congratulated for the fact that Superkid isn't an annoying brat. The only problems I really had with the film are the pacing problems at the start, and I would have liked to have seen more of Clark. That's it.

I had great fun watching it, which is something I can't really say about the other Superman films.

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 70
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 1:00:19 AM   
jrewing1000

Well - as a lifelong superhero fan, a huge Brian Singer fan, and a massive Superman fan, I have mixed views of this film.

On the whole - i would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who loves superhero movies. Brian Singer creates some truely original moments, and presents the idea of Superman in a very mature, emotional way. The first Reeve movie is still my favourite, but i think the portrayal of Superman in Singer's version is more accurate and depeer, when compared to what has been written and created in the very best Superman appearances in the comic books. My favourite of these is his appearance in The Dark Knight Returns, where he is portrayed as a God. I think Brian Singer did this very well - the loneliness of having to help people, but almost that he is not allowed to have love in his life - except from his adopted mother (played utterly flawlessly by Tipi Hedrun)

Spoiler ahead - i thought the first half was staggering. From the opening credits where i regressed 20 years and truely felt what it was like to be a kid, right up until when Luthor reveals his plans, i was hooked, absolutely hooked line and sinker. And what a masterplan!! The potential for devastation and catastrophe was immense. I had images of Superman rescuing whole cities, holding back tidal waves with his superbreath, holding up skyscrapers, whizzing around at superspeed picking up people.

Alas, none of that at all. From the moment Luthor sets his plan in motion - the movie ran out of speed. It was almost as if they ran out of money. It was a shame to walk out of the cinema on a downer. That's what happened to me - the excitement level just dropped, mainly because of the absence of a big finale. There wasn't one.

The ending aside, this was superb movie making. They got it just right, i was very happy with the new superman and i cannot cannot cannot wait for the sequels.

Post #: 71
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 1:02:26 AM   
jrewing1000

Well - as a lifelong superhero fan, a huge Brian Singer fan, and a massive Superman fan, I have mixed views of this film.

On the whole - i would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who loves superhero movies. Brian Singer creates some truely original moments, and presents the idea of Superman in a very mature, emotional way. The first Reeve movie is still my favourite, but i think the portrayal of Superman in Singer's version is more accurate and depeer, when compared to what has been written and created in the very best Superman appearances in the comic books. My favourite of these is his appearance in The Dark Knight Returns, where he is portrayed as a God. I think Brian Singer did this very well - the loneliness of having to help people, but almost that he is not allowed to have love in his life - except from his adopted mother (played utterly flawlessly by Tipi Hedrun)

Spoiler ahead - i thought the first half was staggering. From the opening credits where i regressed 20 years and truely felt what it was like to be a kid, right up until when Luthor reveals his plans, i was hooked, absolutely hooked line and sinker. And what a masterplan!! The potential for devastation and catastrophe was immense. I had images of Superman rescuing whole cities, holding back tidal waves with his superbreath, holding up skyscrapers, whizzing around at superspeed picking up people.

Alas, none of that at all. From the moment Luthor sets his plan in motion - the movie ran out of speed. It was almost as if they ran out of money. It was a shame to walk out of the cinema on a downer. That's what happened to me - the excitement level just dropped, mainly because of the absence of a big finale. There wasn't one.

The ending aside, this was superb movie making. They got it just right, i was very happy with the new superman and i cannot cannot cannot wait for the sequels.

Post #: 72
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 1:16:51 AM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

Well if that's what you read in it...

This is something from Massawyrm's review of Lady In The Water on AICN. It applies to what you just said:

quote:

You know, I tend to not read interviews. I know I should, I know it’s probably expected of me, but I just don’t. I simply cannot stand many of the canned answers and the clever dodges of good questions that pepper virtually every interview I’ve ever read, been witness to or performed myself. And when it comes to directors, I rarely have any interest in hearing what they intended with their film. Why? Because I give them two hours of my life to convince me what their film is about while watching it, and if they can’t convey it in that time, then as artists, they’ve failed. It’s like the old axiom If you have to explain the joke, it’s not a very good joke.

I think that applies perfectly here. That stuff you just said? I never saw any of that in the movie. So, if that was what Singer was trying to say, he failed.

That's quite an ignorant take on the whole process of interviewing, considering the context in which they should be valued, ie, promotional value and possibly "further understanding" of said film, before or after viewing. And saying that, what are your takes on directors cuts, extended editions and voice-over commentaries involving screenwriters, authors, directors and the actors themselves...?!

Obviously, we should all be convinced enough by the film to understand the director/writer's intentions, but to automatically defunct explainations and insights into plots, the why's and the wherefore's via the usage of interviews is lopsided. That's why we have these God-awful things called forums - to discuss the effects of cinema on us, as induviduals, subjectively.

Also, to say an interview should be a handle on the notions of any piece of art is idiotic! I saw this particular film BEFORE (I've said it once, I can say it a-billion-fucking-times) I had read any big preparation press, interviews and reviews - and yes, I was also ready to stand on my seat and scream the theme tune at the screen at the end - as stated in my initial review on the first page.

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 73
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 2:02:11 AM   
LongLiveTheKong

He goes on to say:

quote:

Now granted, film is a subjective medium. There will always be audience members that either don't get or simply don't appreciate what you have to say in the time they give you. For those occasions I find myself in that category, I like to listen to commentary – because at that point the director is no longer promoting the film. They're explaining it shot by shot, often talking about what works and what they wish they'd done better. That's when you begin to get the real story – or at least as real as it gets outside of a behind-closed-doors, whispered conversation that usually begins "Now promise me that this doesn't leave this room…”

But I'd say most people wouldn't have noticed the themes you guys have. My friends certainly didn't.

< Message edited by LongLiveTheKong -- 23/7/2006 2:07:49 AM >

What've they got in there, King Kong?

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 74
Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 2:15:54 AM   
Alistair

quote:

He goes on to say:

quote:

Now granted, film is a subjective medium. There will always be audience members that either don't get or simply don't appreciate what you have to say in the time they give you. For those occasions I find myself in that category, I like to listen to commentary – because at that point the director is no longer promoting the film. They're explaining it shot by shot, often talking about what works and what they wish they'd done better. That's when you begin to get the real story – or at least as real as it gets outside of a behind-closed-doors, whispered conversation that usually begins "Now promise me that this doesn't leave this room…”

But I'd say most people wouldn't have noticed the themes you guys have. My friends certainly didn't.

Well, that's an assumption on a very large audience base. Different people take different things away from a film experience so it's a rather pointless argument in retrospect.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to LongLiveTheKong)
Post #: 75
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 2:21:59 AM   
LongLiveTheKong

I suppose. But my friends are your average teen film-goers. The most adventurous film I ever got them to see in the cinema was Munich. Though, they were quite up for Brokeback; they thought it would be funny. 

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 76
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 3:32:07 PM   
zombiemaster

Routh and spacy are good. bosworth as lois is just crap. Come kid lets jump on a boat. Look theres kevin spacy. The film was boring. The action in comic book movies today just to be the same over and over again. Also why do they have to make romance one of the main themes in comic book movies these days its getting annoying. I would prefer to have more avction in comic book movies. stop with all the loving and crap and hit some one in the face.

Im still going to get it on dvd

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

Post #: 77
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 3:49:24 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Fair enough. However, I and others here clearly did. Superman is an iconic character and has always been used in the past for different agendas - propaganda for the US during war time, *allegedly* propaganda for fascism and then liberalism in the 60s and 70s, saviour figure/Christ, and in this film he embodies all the good aspects of humanity.

The film quite clearly has these elements in it - Lois Lane has an article entitled Why The World Doesn't Need Superman, something he disagrees with at the beginning and is shocked by, especially when he flicks through the channels and sees how worse the world has become in his absence. As the film goes on, he realises the world doesn't need a saviour (Lois says these exact words to him) as people begin relying on him to solve all their problems and save the day (even Luthor expects this). In the end he tells Lois he thinks she was right, the implication being that the world needs to help itself and all he can do is show them the way. This theme is summed up completely in Brando's voiceover which is used repeatedly throughout the film. His 'defeat' at the hands of Luthor and then death inspires first Lois, then the rest of the world, to save him. She then comes to believe that the world does need Superman because he is representative of everything people can be (minus the superpowers, obviously ).

But hey, that's just what I read from the film. I didn't go into the film looking for it, I just sat down with no real expectations and ended up loving it. I thought it was a great film and didn't expect it to have such depth while also being fun and entertaining. Then again, Singer did a similar thing with X-Men (less successfully, in my opinion). I look forward to the sequel

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 23/7/2006 3:52:12 PM >

(in reply to LongLiveTheKong)
Post #: 78
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 23/7/2006 4:14:41 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

I'm up for a sequel. They could tone down all of the stuff I didn't like. Make it less serious and more tongue-in-cheek.Why? BECAUSE I SAY SO, of course. 

I guess... I just can't take Superman seriously. He's one of the more extreme superheroes. IMO.

Okay, I think I'm finally done now. You guys can forget about me now. I'll be over here, on my lonesome, watching Pirates for the fourth time.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 79
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 26/7/2006 2:04:37 AM   
Toaster

When it comes to superhero movies I'm a bit of a sucker.  I can't help getting excited about how big the Hulk is going to get or who's playing Venom in Spider-man 3.  So after finding out that the big man, Bryan Singer would be directing and knowing what the advancements in special effects could do for the Man of Steel, Superman seemed like it was going to be more exciting than being locked in a steam room with Eva Mendes.  However, and this is a very big however.  Superman is more like being in that steam room and finding Eva's meat and two veg.  In other words, very disappointing.  For me the film lacks any real humanization.  The characters are hard to relate to and are bereft of any personality.  The benchmark of today's superhero genre is arguably Spider-man and when compared to this, Superman really falls flat.  J.K Simmons' portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson in Spider-man is fast-paced and spot on funny while the dull Frank Langella in Returns seems as though he's been forced into playing Perry White at gunpoint.  James Marsden?  I seem to remember Cyclops being the shit, boring boyfriend in the X-men movies.  Quite versatile then.  Kate Bosworth?  Why would any man be interested in a woman that treats him like dirt and obsesses about a man in a tight lycra outfit?  Well that's a silly question but the relationship between Lois and Clark is far too dark and severely lacking in any chemistry.  Margot Kidder didn't ignore Clark.  She actually liked him.  And then there's Brandon Routh.  The man is a walking advertisement for just how good Christopher Reeve was at playing the part of Clark and Superman so beautifully.  Can Routh speak?  Can he act?  Overall the film lacks action.  The plane sequence is the highlight and then the pace changes gear to something akin to an episode of The Golden Girls.  Superman flies over to Lois' house and spies on her.  Not a good message surely.  And as for the Daily Planet globe on top of the building.  Anyone who didn't predict that thing falling down at some point should be given a class in harsh metaphors.  As Perry White looks at his two possible headlines,  Superman Is Dead and Superman Lives, I think the former is more appropriate.  Superman died with Reeve.  Let him rest in peace.

You've given us a mouthful of Greek salad. Formulas, equations, other fancy stuff that don't mean a thing. I wanna know when you're gonna get us out of this deep shit that we're in. Or if you're all in there just jerkin' each other off.

Post #: 80
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 26/7/2006 1:42:38 PM   
King_Wah

All I can say is Bryan Singer + Comic Books = Fantastic films.

Kate Bosworth is a little bit powder puff as Lois but that is the only criticism I could make.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Toaster)
Post #: 81
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 7/8/2006 11:58:24 PM   
keir

ark... technically, its great. And the acting is solid, especially from Routh, playing a charmingly geeky superman. But the story... jeeesus... trying to build a continent? In the middle of the atlantic? That's a really stupid premise. You'd think they'd have come up with something a bit closer to our fears as real people in the real world.

I love comics, but please, let up in the comic book adaptations, lets get some original movies made, not movies based on something else. It's sad.

pimp smack yo' ass, don't you know who I am?

Post #: 82
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/8/2006 5:45:18 PM   
Anglachel

Well, I grew up loving Christopher Reeve´s Superman. I hardly belived some one else could do it.
But Superman Returns was quite satisfiying, Brian Singer did an esplending job having the hard job to bring back almost 25 years later the superhero.
And he did it good!!!  becaase we still can see the true Superman there

All the actors were great. Marggot was quite better and more mature Louise Lane, this new one is too young too young but anyway she did it good too..

I have made a promise: to get back on you someday...
Justice come, it will be done.
You will face the darkest future!! You will go to hell !!!
Time will tell, I wish you well.

Dionysus

Post #: 83
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/8/2006 5:46:06 PM   
Anglachel

*edit*

< Message edited by Anglachel -- 17/8/2006 5:50:58 PM >

I have made a promise: to get back on you someday...
Justice come, it will be done.
You will face the darkest future!! You will go to hell !!!
Time will tell, I wish you well.

Dionysus

Post #: 84
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/8/2006 10:37:27 PM   
Mason Verger

This is funny!

http://cuppacafe.com/superman-returns-sucks-a-review/652/

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Anglachel)
Post #: 85
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/8/2006 11:27:06 PM   
sanchia

I thought Bosworth was 29 it looks like she is 22 after all!

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 86
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/8/2006 11:28:32 PM   
sanchia

I thought Bosworth was 29 it looks like she is 22 after all!

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 87
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 20/8/2006 8:41:39 PM   
Mason Verger

Why the world didn't need Superman Returns.

This film was obviously intended as the first in a trilogy. Bryan Singer saw the success of the Star Wars prequels and thought that he could do the same. Superman Returns shares many similarities with The Phantom Menace including. 1) They're one half story, one half padding. A two movie idea stretched out to three. 2) Phantom was a rehash of A New Hope, Returns is a rehash of Superman 1. 3) Both have biblical references 4) They're both aimed at fanboys rather than people who just want to see a well made film. 5) Supermans son = Annakin Skywalker.

But Bryan Singer overestimated Supermans popularity in 2006. He assumed that that Superman Returns would have a guaranteed sequel and so deliberately doesn't give 100% (unlike Sam Raimi and the Spider-Man films). Superman Returns has it's moments. For fanboys, a movie doesn't have to be consistently good from start to finish, it just needs to have moments. But there are far more Star Wars fanboys than Superman fanboys.

The best thing in Superman Returns is the plane save, but saving planes is something that Superman can do in his sleep.Where's the danger in that? A character this powerful needs challenges. Continuing from Superman 2 was a good idea (done mainly because Lois Lane had been sidelined in 3 and 4). And I liked the idea of a son, but he's given nothing to do (this obviously was meant to take place in Superman 6).

The worst things about Superman Returns are it's lack of ambition, imagination and originality. Nineteen years and millions of dollars and the best that they can come up with is a rehash of Superman 1. Why couldn't they have used one of DC comics best stories? How does a film this expensive end up so second rate? A film may have many flaws in logic, but if it's well made in all other departments you don't notice them. If it's poorly made, they stick out like a sore thumb. Superman Returns will appeal to people who think that super hero movies should be deadly serious humourless affairs, but that misses the point of what superheros are about.   

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 88
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 21/8/2006 1:59:16 PM   
The Moog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

The best thing in Superman Returns is the plane save, but saving planes is something that Superman can do in his sleep.Where's the danger in that? A character this powerful needs challenges. Continuing from Superman 2 was a good idea (done mainly because Lois Lane had been sidelined in 3 and 4). And I liked the idea of a son, but he's given nothing to do (this obviously was meant to take place in Superman 6).

The worst things about Superman Returns are it's lack of ambition, imagination and originality. Nineteen years and millions of dollars and the best that they can come up with is a rehash of Superman 1. Why couldn't they have used one of DC comics best stories? How does a film this expensive end up so second rate? A film may have many flaws in logic, but if it's well made in all other departments you don't notice them. If it's poorly made, they stick out like a sore thumb. Superman Returns will appeal to people who think that super hero movies should be deadly serious humourless affairs, but that misses the point of what superheros are about.   

Couldn't put it better myself. I had the fear that this film would be utterly without charm the second Singers name was attached to it. 6 out of then for me and three of those are for the opening credits.  

Post #: 89
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 14/10/2006 11:04:41 PM   
Timon

I can't believe the amount of grief Singer seems to be receiving for daring to make Superman more than a simple action film. I thought it was one of the most intelligent sophisticated blockbusters of recent years.

And for the last time. It was NOT a Kryptonite island. The Kryptonite was diluted through the crystal hence Kal-El not feeling the effects when he first landed on the island and why he wasn't killed straight out while lifting it. If you're going to criticse the film, at least watch it properly first.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI