Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns (2006)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 12:46:34 PM   
WatershipBrakey

I was so pleased that it was as good as it was. When the theme started up and the titles started whooshing, it took me right back, like Phantom menace did for Star Wars. Man, it was excellent - goose pimples and all!

And the whole film pleased me, with just a couple of minor points - Routh is not as strong as Clark as Reeve was (but his Superman more than made up for it) and Kate Bosworth was VERY out of her depth as Lois. But they're forgiveable in the whole scheme of things.

Brilliant. Very happy indeed. 4/5.

"The time frame of 5.6 seconds established by the Zapruder film left no possibility of a fourth shot from Oswald's rifle..."

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 31
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 1:55:36 PM   
kenada_woo

Okay, bit more of a detailed review as I throw in my two pence.

Superman Returns taking place five years after Superman 2.  He fucked off to Krypton, come back and found out that Lois Lane has a kid, and fiancé and that Luther is out of prison. 

So….the opening 40 minutes are thoroughly entertaining and sometimes magical.  Be it the excellent plane sequence, the shots of Superman in the sky, the credit sequence, and the meeting of Lois Lane and Superman  - you do get the feeling that the film can only get better.

Then the middle section of the movie hits and where it loses the edge.  The reason? The film never really expands on anything it introduces in place of progressing its rather tedious plot. 

The idea of why Superman went back to Krypton was interesting.  Did it go anywhere?  No.  Lois is engaged to someone else and has a child.  Again interesting thing for Superman to deal with.  Did it go anywhere or add to anything?  Not really. 

You’ve got an excellent opportunity for confrontation and emotional tension in this love triangle between Lois, Superman and White (Played well by James “Cyclops” Marsden).  But its never dealt with properly or pushed to its limit.  Marsden’s character is a thoroughly, bloody nice bloke.  Superman cares but doesn’t really do anything about it.  Then there’s Lois who to me doesn’t come across as someone torn between to lovers.  There’s no real tension between any of it.  Glances and asides when the characters are all together (the saving of Superman from the water sequence) don’t really do it for me - it needs to be played up more.  This is what I think works excellently in the Spider-Man movies.  Parker is torn between who what he is and also who he loves, the balance is always well handled and pushed to its potential adding to emotionally engaging film. 

Also when Superman comes back, he’s embraced with open arms.  The Pulitzer Prize article Lois writes about “Why the world doesn’t need Superman” again was something interesting to me.  Also, what he says about hearing people crying out for a saviour was poignant and important to who Superman is – a selfless being.  But was it ever put to good use?  Again, no.  Ideas like does the world want Superman or does Superman want to help the world after his love doesn’t want him, were there to be dealt with but never used.  Does Superman get expanded anymore?  A little bit but there’s never any threat against the Man of Steel himself.  No moral out cry that he didn’t save someone in time, no sense that he was lonely (though the scene where he’s flying and he hears Jor-El saying “you’re not one of them” was great) or outcast from the people he was saving.  Overall, there wasn’t enough on his plate with all the set-up and interesting ideas that are actually in the film.

Brandon Routh as Superman I cant really fault to be honest.  Brilliantly cast but I felt that Kent character could’ve had more screen time cos for the last hour of the film or so, he aint in it (leading to believe why someone hadn’t put to and two together and wondered where Kent had gone when Superman was in the hospital.  That and little niggles like why didn’t Lex just knife Superman to death on that Island, do pull up some of the scripts flaws).

But Kate Bosworth suffers from what a lot of new up-and-coming leading ladies suffer from – looking too young (another eg Natalie Portman).  The girl looks about 20 years old and doesn’t have any weight behind her to confront Superman to make us believable she this strong reporter helplessly in love with him, something Margot Kidder excellently did in the previous movies.  She does well but never anything special.

Spacey’s Lex Luther?  Never blew away, and lacked Hackman’s subtlety, but still entertaining and really should’ve had more to do.  Its not Spacey’s fault it’s the character of Luther himself – he’s boring and been done in two other movies.  I always had my doubts about bringing back Luther to be the villain in the new movie and I still think it was a bad idea because it adds to the biggest flaw in the entire film – it’s more of the same.

Again I get the sense that Singer just cannot be bothered doing action scenes.  I felt he did the same thing with his instalments of the XMen films.  He had a variety of interesting and original characters during the action scenes and never utilised them to their full potential (minus Mystique) and what the third instalment did superbly IMO.  The scenes in Superman (apart from the Plane sequence) are tired and dull, visually impressive but lifeless.  The scene on the rooftop of the bank enforces this for me.  What we get here is a tired and downright irritating “bullet-time” sequence that instead of inspiring awe, it delivers yawns.  Christ, the fact Uwe Boll uses this technique religiously, you know its going out of style.  And that summarises the action for me.  The final 20 minutes which are very entertaining and recaptures a little bit of magic with its epic grandiose shots of Superman in the sky, the Island etc, is, when all send and done, yet another “Pick up something big and throw it away” sequence and was crying out for something…more. 

Reading through this you’d think I hate the film.  I don’t.  It’s very good, wears it heart on its sleeve with sentimental over-tones wrapped up in a beautifully shot film.  There are some iconic moments and inspiring shots of Superman reinforcing how legendary the character is – moments that recaptures Alex Ross’s beautiful artwork in Kingdom Come etc.  The score too encapsulates and grabs you by throat – the opening credits had me giggling like a schoolgirl.  Wouldn’t be surprised John Ottman getting a nod for best score at next years Oscars.  The FX too are pretty flawless, can’t think of any bad CGI work in any area.  But as a continuation of Superman 2 it is a very flawed film.  While Superman 2 took the step-up from the original bringing in a threat that could actually destroy Superman, progressing the relationship with Lois by actually getting them together, and Superman questioning himself, wanting to be Clark Kent by getting rid of his powers only to discover HE IS SUPERMAN and he cant get away from that.  Superman Returns rarely does any of this and only brings in the aspect that Lois’ child is in fact his (somewhat lazy when you think about it) and that Lois is engaged.

Overall, an entertaining film that has brief moments of greatness but is never truly great.  A kick-start to a franchise it works and its brilliant seeing Superman on the big-screen.  But as it continues from the previous films, its full of promise and potential but never goes that distance to fully expand on them and the characters.  Superman doesn’t really soars…he glides.   

****/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 3:44:05 PM   
cdsaredead

Superman in a hospital!!!!!!
Do me a favour, this is as silly as Lex Luthors 'masterplan'
surprised Singer did'nt really take it to another level like I was expecting, would have preferred a darker superman the FX were great though
still brings a shiver to my spine good old superman

Post #: 33
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 3:55:42 PM   
doa1984

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdsaredead

surprised Singer did'nt really take it to another level like I was expecting, would have preferred a darker superman the FX were great though

What else should they do with him? leave him in the middle of the park?

(in reply to cdsaredead)
Post #: 34
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 4:10:24 PM   
Castor Troy

SPOILERS

I came away pretty disappointed from this, although overall it was entertaining enough.

Firstly, Routh wasn't as great as I'd hoped or heard he'd be. He certainly looked the part as both Kent and Superman, and there were a few moments when he pulled the character off really well, but most of the time I thought he was quite weak and didn't have much confidence behind him to play the character. And I thought Spacey was really good as Lex (a character I don't really like), but I found myself pretty bored with his side of the story.

Then the plot. Very, very formulaic plot. I was expecting more from Singer, but apart from the end, it was very standard and with no suprises (Kent comes back to find Lois with a kid, he's a bit annoyed and he has to save the day). I never really felt the chemistry between Lois and Clark. I never felt his loss, and I'm sorry to say that I think this was mainly due to Routh's acting. But also maybe, because Singer relied too much on the carried over emotions and history of the first movies, rather than create any new relationship in this film.

The action. There was many great shots of Superman flying around doing cool stuff, but they didn't feel like there was any weight behind them. Iconic moments like him rising above the Earth looked great, but I didn't feel anything. And I wasn't too keen on the petty crime he was helping with. He should be spending his time sorting out bigger issues that the police can't handle. And most of the cool stuff had been ruined by the trailers I think, with the exception of the ending with the lifting of new Krypton.

I didn't really like the beginning either. The opening credits were great and really set the mood, but then the film just sort of drifted in to the story. It wasn't the monumental return I'd hoped for. I thought it would have been better seeing him as Kent coming into the Daily Planet for the first time, and then perhaps going back (kinda like Batman Begins) and seeing him return to earth. I think I also would have liked to have seen his time on Krypton in some kind of flashback.

The things I did like were mainly at the end. I liked him being vulnerable. From the moment he was beaten up, the film improved. I also loved how he was saved twice (first by Lois and then by the doctors), instead of him saving everybody else.

I have a feeling I might enjoy it more on repeat viewings on DVD. I remember feeling like this after seeing the first Spiderman - too much seen in the trailers taking away the shock factor. But hopefully I'll warm to it.

After the greatness, fun and originality of the X Men movies I was expecting more from this and from Singer. There is no real directorial style to the film and this is something I think we'll see more of in the sequel.

This is X Men to the sequel's X2.

3/5

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to cdsaredead)
Post #: 35
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 7:11:32 PM   
jor el180

Absolutely awesome movie! Nothing could be faulted really...Routh was perfect, bosworth certainly surprised me as an acceptible if not good Lois Lane. Kevin spacey's Lex was flawless and the sequence of events, action pieces, drama and love/emotion were all done superbly. I Absolutely loved it...maybe even more so as i was never really a huge fan of superman.

i knew Bryan Singer would do a great job as he did with the two x-men movies he did.

Post #: 36
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 17/7/2006 7:34:45 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jor el180

Absolutely awesome movie! Nothing could be faulted really...Routh was perfect, bosworth certainly surprised me as an acceptible if not good Lois Lane. Kevin spacey's Lex was flawless and the sequence of events, action pieces, drama and love/emotion were all done superbly. I Absolutely loved it...maybe even more so as i was never really a huge fan of superman.

i knew Bryan Singer would do a great job as he did with the two x-men movies he did.

Never really a fan of Superman and your name is Jor el180? Mmmmmmmmmm.

Also, I think only the most generous and blinkered could describe it as flawless. Lex Luthors plan was rubbish. He's just a mental property developer.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to jor el180)
Post #: 37
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:31:05 AM   
jor el180

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

Never really a fan of Superman and your name is Jor el180? Mmmmmmmmmm.

Also, I think only the most generous and blinkered could describe it as flawless. Lex Luthors plan was rubbish. He's just a mental property developer.

true... they were the first usernames i could think of and i liked the names when i first heard them lol

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 38
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 3:38:48 PM   
Saxondale

quote:

ORIGINAL: doa1984

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdsaredead

What else should they do with him? leave him in the middle of the park?

People that mention this are missing the point. Fuck it, everybody seems to be missing the point!!

He is hero of the people. He was hurt and possibly dying. The natural reaction of the humans was to take him to hospital to be treated - it is the best we can offer him, our hero. Of course, it didn't help him being in there but after everything he had done we wanted to help.

It's all part of the Superman/Human race dynamic that the Superman story hinges on.

(in reply to doa1984)
Post #: 39
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 3:42:10 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

A lot of people don't know that because they don't really know much (or care to know much) about comic books. For example,  I'm interested in it, but not all that interested.

What've they got in there, King Kong?

(in reply to Saxondale)
Post #: 40
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 4:59:26 PM   
Saxondale

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

A lot of people don't know that because they don't really know much (or care to know much) about comic books. For example,  I'm interested in it, but not all that interested.

But it's there in the film?!?!?!? When someone questions why he was in hospital it is because they are not using their noggins. They expect everything to be spelt out to them. I'm no fanboy. I got all my info from the films.

(in reply to LongLiveTheKong)
Post #: 41
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 5:24:25 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

Meh, I was playing the devil's advocate thar. Of course they would take him to the hospital if he was injured. I also kinda skimmed it and thought you were talking about the story already established in comics when you said "It's all part of the Superman/Human race dynamic that the Superman story hinges on."

Thing is, the hospital section wasn't necessary at all. He didn't need to be injured--that only served to drag the film out longer. The section was just yawn inducing and could quite easily have been left out at script stage. All of the points covered there could have been condensed a little, or removed.

(in reply to Saxondale)
Post #: 42
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 6:28:36 PM   
jor el180

People who say that the film would have been better with a silly tone in it..come on! You all know in you heart of hearts you would have hated even more! Superman isn't really filled with a comedic theme is it? And the few jokes and humour that were included were actually funny i.e Kitty, Lex, and even Clark...

It had humour in it which was excellent, but its dealing with superman's emotion after he returns to the world which seems to have moved on without him! How can that be treated "silly"...

Post #: 43
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 6:35:11 PM   
Mikey C

it's alright. Edges towards a 4.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to jor el180)
Post #: 44
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 6:39:46 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

Ever thought about writing for Empire?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 45
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 6:47:04 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

Ever thought about writing for Empire?

I was going to write about the Christ-allegory(s) that ran through it but I wrote that instead.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 46
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 6:49:00 PM   
Zatoichi

A good film - in fact very good at times - but seriously nothing that incredible. The CGI really worked well for the most part, making everything look ultra-real, but there was never anything really awe-inspiring that made me go "wooooaaaah". I wish another action/adventure film would come along that could just be a load of fun.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 47
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 7:56:48 PM   
Indio

SPOILERS

Overall I thought it was a good film, but thought the last ten or fifteen minutes were pretty poor. Lex Luthor goes from being a total bad ass who beats the crap out of Superman, stabs him and dumps him over a cliff to to a guy lobbing coconuts in the sea and contemplating eating a dog?  

And while I can see the intention in the scene where Superman repeats the Brando speech to his son, I just thought it came across like something even the Waltons would have thought was a little bit too cheesy.

I'd give it 7 out of 10, would have been 8 or 9 if it had a decent ending.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 48
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:16:38 PM   
jimminycrickets

It was dull!!! Bosworth was atrocious, but not really through any fault of her own - her casting was just criminal, she looks like she should be in high-school and fell woefully short of the tough, street-wise reporter Lois should be. Marsden's as big a waste of space as ever and Spacey phoned in a shocker - only Routh comes away with any credit, mainly because I had such low expectations of someone in the movie soully because of an uncanny resemblence to Christopher Reeve. Nothing even vaguely interesting happens in the first hour and a half, aside from the plane crash, and very little happens thereafter. Bored out of my skull for two and a half hours and, however forgettable I thought this film would be, I certainly never envisaged being bored. Do yourself a favour and watch Batman, Spiderman or even X-Men instead of wasting your time with this shite. Iain Nathan must be related to Bryan Singer, that was the most sycophantic nonsense I've ever read. And what kind of fucking Pullitzer winning journalist can't spell "catastrophic"? Utter balls.

< Message edited by jimminycrickets -- 18/7/2006 8:19:17 PM >

Breaking & Entering **
Casino Royale *****
Romance & Cigarettes ****
Baise-Moi **
The Three Burials of Melquiedes Estrada *****

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 49
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:19:19 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

quote:

People who say that the film would have been better with a silly tone in it..come on! You all know in you heart of hearts you would have hated even more! Superman isn't really filled with a comedic theme is it? And the few jokes and humour that were included were actually funny i.e Kitty, Lex, and even Clark...

It had humour in it which was excellent, but its dealing with superman's emotion after he returns to the world which seems to have moved on without him! How can that be treated "silly"...

Like I said. A man from outer space who puts on glasses and people can't recognise him anymore stops an evil plot to flood the world by growing a new continent out of space crystals.  By throwing the whole continent into space.

That's bordering on Austin Powers silly.

(in reply to jor el180)
Post #: 50
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:25:50 PM   
jimminycrickets

What happened to the whole flooding bit? I didn't see any.

Breaking & Entering **
Casino Royale *****
Baise-Moi **

Post #: 51
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:37:07 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

I dunno, I can't remember any flooding taking place either... Did we miss that? Surely there would have been just a little bit of flooding?

(in reply to jimminycrickets)
Post #: 52
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:47:14 PM   
jimminycrickets

Bugger all, from what I can remember. I thought that was the whole point of the evilness, if there's no flooding, let the daft bastard have his uninhabitable island - who gives a fuck?

< Message edited by jimminycrickets -- 18/7/2006 8:57:53 PM >

Breaking & Entering **
Casino Royale *****
Baise-Moi **

Post #: 53
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:50:38 PM   
pettsy

Went to see it again today, still loved it, still think Kate Bosworth isn't old enough.

Something I didn't really pay attention to the first time was the cinematography - I loved the part where Lois and Superman were flying up the Daily Planet building, it was beautiful.  Like the first but better.  There are so many money shots in the film I lost count. 

I think people who complained it was boring are being overly picky with the film.  OK, I took an 8 year old to see it first time and he was slightly bored, but I would expect that of a child with a limited attention span.  Whether I enjoyed it more being a comic book geek (though more Marvel than DC to be honest) and therefore probably more willing to suspend belief, I don't know.  But I loved it.

(in reply to jor el180)
Post #: 54
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 8:51:34 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

I think it was going to grow bigger though. They still had plenty of those crystals.

(in reply to jimminycrickets)
Post #: 55
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 10:45:57 PM   
Gazdance

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

I think it was going to grow bigger though. They still had plenty of those crystals.

Yeah, I think that was covered earlier in the film.  Lex's continient would grow causing the US to flood.  Obviously it nmever got the chane to grow big enough seeing as Superman saves the day...

Post #: 56
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:21:46 PM   
Cloud/Strife

Can someone please explain this; Jason is the son of Superman and Lois, yet she believes that Richard is the father. So she was sleeping with another man right after Superman left, causing her and Richard to believe they are the parents of Jason. Does that make any sense, that Lois would get over Superman that quick!!!

Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 57
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:22:55 PM   
Cloud/Strife

Sorry double post, where is the delete button!

< Message edited by Cloud/Strife -- 18/7/2006 11:25:36 PM >

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 58
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:25:55 PM   
Indio

She didn't say who was the father, only Jason believes that Richard is the father. Although if Superman had been away for 5 years, that kid didn't look 5 years old to me.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Cloud/Strife)
Post #: 59
RE: Superman Returns (2006) - 18/7/2006 11:28:11 PM   
Cloud/Strife

Doesn't Lex say who is this boys father and Lois replies "Richard" in a convinicing tone.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Superman Returns (2006) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI