Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Fog - 1/10/2005 6:34:17 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 12/1/2006 4:48:59 PM   
shifty_powers

Not to everyone's tastes but it's one of my favourite movies.Also, i think one of Carpenters best.

Not much in the way of gore but then theres plenty of "jump out of your seat" moments to make up for it.
A good cast, Jamie Lee Curtis is reliable as ever and Janet Leigh and Hal Holbrook lend of a bit of class.

Well worth a look!

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.
Post #: 2
The Fog - 13/3/2006 4:04:14 PM   
Da Big Cheese

You'll get a more detailed look at the gruesome spectres during the main menu of this DVD than you will during the film. It's a basic horror film technique, yet it's perfectly executed by Carpenter; the ghoulish killers are only really seen in brief flashes, in sillouette, or completely shrouded in flouresent fog whilst brandishing grisly meathooks. The audience is left captivated by these teasing glimpses, and they work in the film's advantage, building up a tense and terrifying atmosphere. When the likes of Carpenter was able to create scenes that were filled with such brooding and menacing atmosphere, it's shocking to see how many film-makers have since gotten it horribly wrong. There should be a class in how to create a good horror film, and this film should be used to demonstrate how you can use the audience's imagination to really deliver the fear, instead of spoon feeding them CGI created ghouls that leave little to the imagination.

I'm looking forward to seeing the remake of this film, because I felt that this 1980s version hasn't aged too well. Don't get me wrong, it's just as scary as the best of what's been released in the last 5 - 10 years, but the scares are delivered soley through the atmosphere as the real shocking moments feel watered down compared to what we're used to in modern cinema. It's a real shame, as it feels like I'm only experiencing half of the film. Although these moments are few and far between, when they arrive it can really shatter the illusion and reminds you of which decade this film was originally made in. The best examples are at the end, when Blake's eyes are red, and when we see a close up of the ghost that's face is covered with maggots. It's one of those moments that I wished I was old enough to have watched this in it's original theatrical release, in which years of more modern horrors wouldn't have dulled down the real shock value that these scenes are obviously supposed to have.

Having said that, I'm apprehensive that the remake will stand up to this version. The past has certainly taught us that on the whole, remakes are a bad thing (with the exception of the remake of George A Romero's Dawn of the Dead) and I doubt that a remake of The Fog will come close to emulating the superb tension-soaked scenes of John Carpenter's original, instead plumping for gory, explicit death scenes and teen eye candy for both guys and girls. Still, I'll reserve judgement until I see it. For now, The Fog is a decent, if a little dated, horror film and stands up to anything that's been released since.

< Message edited by Da Big Cheese -- 13/3/2006 4:06:01 PM >

Trust No One

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: The Fog - 30/6/2011 9:59:24 AM   
kingoftheducks

I'm a big John Carpenter fan with room in my heart even for the likes of Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Escape From LA, but I finally saw The Fog last night and came away very baffled...

Perhaps the film just hasn't aged well, as noted above, but I also felt it was generally lacking in atmosphere and the narrative was wobbly at best, if anything I think the film was mis-judged and shouldn't have been an 'adult' horror but should've been a kiddie-horror akin to Joe Dante's recent The Hole, as the opening scene around the camp fire and the young boy's discovering of the gold coin that becomes a plank of wood seemed to lean more towards that child in peril category and most of the other characters were so thinly drawn that I didn't really care for their lives, which, considering the ghostly pirate's desire to kill 6 people and then bugger off I was more than happy for 6 members of the cast to die, especially considering 3 are bumped off in the first 20 minutes. Also, I didn't feel that the supernatural elements really worked, there was some nice tension to a few scenes, but a clumsiness to others that was unfortunately unintentionally funny.

Not the worst film Carpenter has made, but I was surprised by my own disappointment to the film.

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 4
RE: The Fog - 7/10/2012 6:59:08 PM   
Phubbs

The Fog (1980)

Filmed two years after the success of 'Halloween' and the kick off for Carpenter's cult movie making career. A cute little horror flick this, a nice old fashioned spooky sea yarn that wouldn't look outta place as a Scooby Doo plot if done that way.

Overall a very basic film with bottom of the barrel effects clearly done on a shoestring yet it still works effectively. I love the mist effects in this film as they remind me of many old classic black n white horror's. A really nice kind of 'Twilight Zone' feel about the proceedings that gives great atmosphere and a decent chill to the bone with all the misty cold dusk vista's.

As said the film is very basic but offers nice creativity on all counts. The nasty spooky ghosts are merely actors in dark clothes and shot in silhouette, the odd bit of seaweed draped on their arms and leader 'Captain Blake' has glowing red eyes. They simply turn up with the fog and knock on peoples doors hoping to be let in so they can kill you haha how polite!

Of course the cast is a classic line up of character actors, some of which Carpenter used for his previous popular horror flick, I don't need to mention them do I. Although personally I wouldn't have used Curtis again, bit samey.

I like this film very much, it has a great eerie factor with a plain and simple plot, no silly frills, a pure quality ghost story of old. Loved the use of a smoke machine to pump in the menacing fog at the required moments, so very cheap n obvious but so very cool.

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Fog Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI