Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Materials Girl Found - 29/6/2006 10:15:39 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
material girl - 29/6/2006 10:15:39 AM   
meh...

about time!!! Quite an odd name, though, "Dakota Blue Richards".

< Message edited by meh... -- 29/6/2006 10:35:24 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Kinda doesn't matter now - 29/6/2006 10:33:06 AM   
fracturedglitter

I was really looking forward to these adaptions, until the infamous change from the books, I doubt they will live up to the books now, by playing safe one way, they will play safe in others too.

Post #: 3
bloody yanks... - 29/6/2006 11:07:57 AM   
jon2005

Give us our title back! It's a British book by a British author - therefore the film should be called Northern Lights. Why do they keep changing them? It's like harry potter - why change philosopher to sorcerer? I don't care about what the studios think will be more accessible/make more money - it's the principle of the matter!!

Post #: 4
RE: bloody yanks... - 29/6/2006 11:47:27 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

Apparently The Golden Compass is Pullman's original title for the first book, so the understandable reaction to a US title change is groundless. I think the fear of the Christian right wing in America is probably what will doom this adaptation though. The only time I would have been interested in this is if the earlier Tom Stoppard script was being directed by Terry Gilliam.

(in reply to jon2005)
Post #: 5
Can't wait - 29/6/2006 12:24:20 PM   
oki9Sedo

I think The Golden Compass is a better title than Northern Lights anyway-it fits in with The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass after all. In any case its hardly something to get riled up about-its the quality of the film that matters. My only concern is Chris Weitz. He's the guy who directed American Pie and Down To Earth...but if Philip Pullman is placing his trust in him, well thats good enough for me.

Post #: 6
Golden Compass? - 29/6/2006 3:04:04 PM   
Papa Quincy

Why should we have to put up with America's dumbing down of British words. What, don't they know what the Northern Lights are?
They did the same with Harry Potter. Changes Philosophers Stone to Sorcerers Stone, because they didn't know what a Philosopher was. Disgraceful...

Post #: 7
what!? - 29/6/2006 3:59:14 PM   
samantha

the golden compass!!! starting to dread wot they'll rename the others ! subtle is probably to complicated for the americans to say!! does any one know where they're filming?

Post #: 8
Gold against the Soul - 29/6/2006 7:15:35 PM   
Craig1459

Wasn't the first book called the Golden Compass in the States anyway?

Post #: 9
RE: Golden Compass? - 29/6/2006 7:25:23 PM   
Sundance

Pullman was going to call the books the Golden Compasses in the first place. It's a line from Paradise Lost. The American publisher just liked the name. I can see how that makes all American idiots. But what the hell, let's all jump on the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon without knowing a thing.

Good luck to the girl.

< Message edited by Sundance -- 29/6/2006 7:26:38 PM >

(in reply to Papa Quincy)
Post #: 10
Weird name... - 30/6/2006 11:52:52 AM   
Martel

...but if Pullman aproves of her then she must be something special. I still think though that Lyra is a poor protaganist for 'His Dark Materials'. She keeps turining into a wretched little shit that you just want to strangle, not a spunky young herorine that calls for your empathy. Also Pullman's writing is imaginative but lacks the frequent outbursts of dry, genteel wit that made 'The Chronicles of Narnia' such good reads. I'll still check out 'Golden Compass' though, if just the armoured bears and the Witches!

Post #: 11
What about the grown ups? - 30/6/2006 8:16:03 PM   
sj.bull

Forget the kid. Lyra was always gonna be played by someone we'd never heard of. Any suggestions for the adult leads? I say Downey jr. for Lee Scoresby. I can see the guy at Alamo Gulch as I type...

Post #: 12
This may be a stupid question, but... - 1/7/2006 9:13:35 AM   
billbones

Does anyone know if this girl is English? I'm guessing not, what with the American state name, but will she then be playing Lyra as a spoilt brat from Oxford, or from Harvard (I'm sure there are other American universities/colleges, but anyway)? I guess if Pullman gave the okay, she should be alright.

Post #: 13
Religion - 1/7/2006 12:34:09 PM   
peteabel

Never mind the changes to the title the biggest travesty is the supposed pandering to Christian sensibilities by cutting out mention of the church. The whole thrust of the story is anti-religious and to take this element out would put me off the film

Post #: 14
can't wait - 3/7/2006 11:52:57 AM   
Ben Armstrong

i haven't read the book and subsequently don't really care about this film - but someone said 'Armoured Bear' and i got excited...briliant

Post #: 15
RE: Golden Compass? - 3/7/2006 3:10:00 PM   
jon2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

Pullman was going to call the books the Golden Compasses in the first place. It's a line from Paradise Lost. The American publisher just liked the name.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I've never read them so didn't know, it's just frustrating how in other examples we have to lose the 'proper' title. However in this case it clearly doesn't apply. Oh well, I don't hate Americans, but they can at least acknowledge us in examples like Harry Potter.

"Let me think of a cogent paradigm..."
"I'd rather have a good example!"

"Get thy wads out forsooth!"

http://www.thelazylounge.net

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 16
Samuel L Jackson is lee scoresby - 6/7/2006 11:42:47 PM   
squib

I heard that Samuel L. J. was faveourite to play Lee Scoresby by the author himself...and the girl is british, but whether or not she will be puttin on an accent is beyond me...I want to know who will be playing Will?

Post #: 17
RE: Samuel L Jackson is lee scoresby - 17/7/2006 1:04:47 PM   
Concorde99

I doubt Will has been cast yet since he does not appear in the first book - I know a bit about it as someone I know has been cast as Roger, Lyra's friend - filming starts at Shepperton in September.

< Message edited by Concorde99 -- 17/7/2006 2:43:10 PM >

(in reply to squib)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Materials Girl Found Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI