Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 9:27:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02
Although Peter A.Quinn's answer is kind of right (it applies to widescreen TVs), the important thing to understand is that anamorphic widescreen basically makes use of the 'empty' space that would otherwise be the black bars on a letter-boxed image, and then stretches the image out on a widescreen TV, so that the end result is a higher-resolution image than the portion of the letter-boxed image containing the film would be.

I'm being dim again. If the black bars that would exist on a letterbox version are "filled in" with anamorphic, doesn't that mean that the image is stretched upwards, distorted somewhat? I once tried to watch FOTR on my brothers widescreen TV. The black bars had gone, but the proportions looked extremely odd.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 121
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 9:42:25 AM   
Dick Jones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
I'm being dim again. If the black bars that would exist on a letterbox version are "filled in" with anamorphic, doesn't that mean that the image is stretched upwards, distorted somewhat? I once tried to watch FOTR on my brothers widescreen TV. The black bars had gone, but the proportions looked extremely odd.

It depends on the ratio.

1.78:1 images fill the entire screen, and look fab.

2.35:1 images should still have black bars, but smaller and less annoying than they would be on a regular telly. So it also looks fab.

Your brothers TV sounds like it was viewing on the wrong mode or summit. Or the DVD player was.

'Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small headed man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken. '

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 122
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 9:44:32 AM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02
Although Peter A.Quinn's answer is kind of right (it applies to widescreen TVs), the important thing to understand is that anamorphic widescreen basically makes use of the 'empty' space that would otherwise be the black bars on a letter-boxed image, and then stretches the image out on a widescreen TV, so that the end result is a higher-resolution image than the portion of the letter-boxed image containing the film would be.

Now you're getting it. Nearly all Widescreen TVs have various settings on them these days, to accommodate both anamorphic-widescreen and the ability to zoom in letter-boxed widescreen, as well present old fashioned 4:3 images with black bars at the sides (kind of the reverse of old 4:3 TVs showing black bars at the top and bottom for widescreen stuff). Your brother probably had his TV set to a 'fill the screen' type setting (often called things like 'superwide') that stretches the image to fill the screen, whatever ratio it is. It nearly always looks horrible IMHO, certain parts of the screen get stretched more than others. Or he may have just had it zoomed in.

Back to the main point... yes, when it's not presented as intended, anamorphic widescreen DVDs do indeed look distorted upwards - but this is nearly always down to the settings on the TV and/or DVD player not being correct. You want the TV on its true 'widescreen' mode (not always the same as 16:9, which can be the zoom in mode for letter-boxed DVDs) and the DVD player set to output an image for widescreen 16:9 TVs, not letter-boxed-widescreen 4:3 or full screen [ick].

You can see exactly what the anamorphic video looks like on a 4:3 screen, (i.e. stretched upwards), by going into your DVD player's settings and changing the picture set-up to make it think it's connected to a widescreen TV. But put it back afterwards unless you like all your actors to look 3 ft taller (Gimli the giant? that's just wrong!) !

< Message edited by Artoo02 -- 2/9/2006 11:18:38 AM >

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

Post #: 123
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 10:17:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Thanks guys. I think I may finally have an idea now (although I'm sure I'll have other questions some time in the future)

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 124
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 7:01:53 PM   
obi arin kenobi

You know, these are all going to be released in Hi Def eventually.  Personally I think they should just skip this dvd generation and go to the blue ray/hddvd one.  This is where, I forget his name, seems to be right.  The process to fix up the original trilogy(to LUCAS's standard) MUST be more than a typical "fix" job for a film.  I say this because, if the Original trilogy, in its original form, were to be released in Hi Def, there would be NO WAY people would buy it unless it looked stellar. So, why exactly did we have to wait so long for the special editions on dvd?  By Marketing standards, it was retarded to release the SE boxset that late(in 04).  If Lucas really wanted to milk it, he could have released them shortly after dvd hit the market, and THEN in the midst of the prequel trilogy(with some silly "inside scoop on the new films").

Post #: 125
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/9/2006 9:27:18 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: obi arin kenobi

You know, these are all going to be released in Hi Def eventually.  Personally I think they should just skip this dvd generation and go to the blue ray/hddvd one.  This is where, I forget his name, seems to be right.  The process to fix up the original trilogy(to LUCAS's standard) MUST be more than a typical "fix" job for a film.  I say this because, if the Original trilogy, in its original form, were to be released in Hi Def, there would be NO WAY people would buy it unless it looked stellar. So, why exactly did we have to wait so long for the special editions on dvd?  By Marketing standards, it was retarded to release the SE boxset that late(in 04).  If Lucas really wanted to milk it, he could have released them shortly after dvd hit the market, and THEN in the midst of the prequel trilogy(with some silly "inside scoop on the new films").

He's still doing a fair bit of milking with this release.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 2/9/2006 9:28:03 PM >

(in reply to obi arin kenobi)
Post #: 126
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 3/9/2006 3:43:49 PM   
Underscore

It's no rumour that they will be re-released for high def. When Lowry Digital did the restoration job on the print for the previous, first DVD release (the 'improved' original trilogy), Lucas made sure they did a huge job (cleaning the print to a level beyond recognition on DVD) so they don't have to redo the print for the later HD release. Whether they'll release the theatrical editions in HD, I'm unsure because that's not the remastered print, rather the print they did for the laserdisc edition.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 127
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 4/9/2006 10:41:31 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelydan3

To hell, with the DVDs, look what I just came across-

I really did wonder where you were going with that....

And in answer to someones question on this thread about them being available in a boxset.....

quote:

StarWarsShop is offering the new Star Wars Trilogy DVDs (with bonus unaltered versions of the films as extras ) ....

Because most fans who might want to pick up, say, the unaltered version of A New Hope will probably also want the original versions of Empire and Jedi, StarWarsShop is making all three of these releases available as a set for $59.99 -- that's about $30 off the suggested retail price if purchased separately. In addition, fans will also be able to pick up the third exclusive Topps collector card offered by StarWarsShop, with more expected to be added to the expanding exclusive series this summer.
This DVD release of the trilogy will only be available through the end of the year, so make sure to get your pre-order in early at StarWarsShop....

Ok, its not in an actual box, but its the set at a cheaper price....maybe.... (wheres my calculator?)

Also, for your viewing pleasure....I read somewhere recently that the Original version of Star Wars to be released is the VERY FIRST print, before it was called Ep IV - A New Hope - so the opening crawl would not have anything at the top of it.... whether this is true I dont know, Im trying to find the place I read it.... bear / bare with me....

**EDIT** Found it, it was on the official site....
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

quote:

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

< Message edited by Cabal aka Boone -- 4/9/2006 10:50:07 PM >

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 128
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 7/9/2006 11:53:28 PM   
Tohru_Readman

In my point of view the original trilogy boxset that came out last year should have had the original theatrical releases in it, I would have been happy to pay 10-15 extra, maybe even a bit more. And I think Lucas should have been able to improve the sound and picture and there are no new extras.

Just because they serve you doesn't mean they like you.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 129
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 8/9/2006 11:03:52 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelydan3

So, anybody going to get these?  

Yes.

To my recollection, I've never actually seen the original versions of the films (I think I may have seen a little bit of Jedi on telly one time) and so I'm most definitely going to be getting these.  Plus, I didn't get the 2004 remaster because I thought it was pretty obvious that better / larger releases that included the now-Lucas-definitive version of the movie would be released in the future.

I've placed my order on HMV and am looking forward to delivery day

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 130
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 8/9/2006 1:40:06 PM   
Artoo02

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabal aka Boone

And in answer to someones question on this thread about them being available in a boxset.....

quote:

StarWarsShop is offering the new Star Wars Trilogy DVDs (with bonus unaltered versions of the films as extras ) ....

Because most fans who might want to pick up, say, the unaltered version of A New Hope will probably also want the original versions of Empire and Jedi, StarWarsShop is making all three of these releases available as a set for $59.99 -- that's about $30 off the suggested retail price if purchased separately. In addition, fans will also be able to pick up the third exclusive Topps collector card offered by StarWarsShop, with more expected to be added to the expanding exclusive series this summer.
This DVD release of the trilogy will only be available through the end of the year, so make sure to get your pre-order in early at StarWarsShop....

Ok, its not in an actual box, but its the set at a cheaper price....maybe.... (wheres my calculator?)

It sounds like a deal on the face of it, but on the StarWars Shop it says 'ships to U.S. and Canada' so that deal is a bit irrelevant here, and even you could get it sent to the UK you'd get charged the customs + shipping (FedEx last time I got something from there), so the saving would be little if anything, plus they'd be NTSC (lower resolution than PAL).

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 131
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 10/9/2006 6:12:26 PM   
Cuchulainn

Non-anamorphic transfers means non-transferral of my funds into Fox's coffers.This is the very definition of both laziness and greed.If I ever buy these films again it will be HDDVD or Blu-Ray or whatever next-gen crap comes along.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 132
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 10/9/2006 8:26:50 PM   
rich

Some techincal points and version comparions. Got them yesterday, have just finished them by watching Jedi. To be fair - these are the films I saw and loved back as a kid. No altered / added scenes, all of the dialogue that was used the first time around. (Bring my shuttle). The transfer is fine, not in anyway as bright and sharp as the 2004 set, but still the colours now look as I remember them. One small problem, ANH is a bit fuzzy in places and a small number of scenes have a 'speckled with white flickering dots' look but these are minor points. The matte errors are back in Empire and Jedi, although those in ANH are now hardly visible compared to the hideous green squares in the 2004 set. No pink cored lightsabers, no music cues drowned out and no scary Hayden. (there are no differences I can see having a quick look at the SEs) I would have liked to see them properly restored, but they didn't get it right with the last disks so I'm not really complaining. Boba Fett has a decent voice once again, no CG and Han indeed shoots Greedo in an awesome fashion.

(in reply to Tohru_Readman)
Post #: 133
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 10/9/2006 9:27:45 PM   
Brock

The best thing about the new discs is the menus. Simple, classy and non-invasive.

No more wading through naff cgi animations just to get to the chapter selection screen.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 134
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 11/9/2006 8:42:39 AM   
demondemon

shame the covers were done by a 10 year old.

(in reply to Brock)
Post #: 135
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 11/9/2006 6:35:04 PM   
rich

The covers are replicating the poster on the back of the box. Shame it wasn't done better...

(in reply to demondemon)
Post #: 136
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 11/9/2006 11:31:26 PM   
Chewie

I must admit, the quality of these non-anamorphic transfers is better than I thought. Still shit compared to the 2004 versions, but very watchable all the same.

I'm not a SE hater, but these original unaltered films are the ones I fell in love with and as such have a place in my heart.

Loves the boobies

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 137
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 5/10/2006 5:09:06 AM   
Glorfindel

Will we get restored, remastered, anamorphic transfers next year?! Check this out:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_30th_Anniversary_DVD_Set_Confirmation_100566.asp

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to Chewie)
Post #: 138
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 7/10/2006 1:03:20 PM   
Daniel Kelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I have VHS originals from 1994, I can easily transfer her them to DVD... in fact I'll do that this sunday.

Good thats a far better use of money. Plus the tacky cover art from the new editions is awful ur cover art is much better

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 139
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 8/10/2006 3:47:35 PM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

Will we get restored, remastered, anamorphic transfers next year?! Check this out:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_30th_Anniversary_DVD_Set_Confirmation_100566.asp

Oh for fuck's sake...I think I'll wait for the 31st Anniversary set...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Glorfindel)
Post #: 140
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 10/10/2006 9:13:29 PM   
Macphisto

You can get the R2/R4 versions for about 8 each on cd-wow via the iwoa link. Comes to around 24 for all three. Not bad at all.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 141
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 12/11/2012 10:28:17 AM   
Timon

And here I was contemplating tracking these down...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Macphisto)
Post #: 142
RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 13/11/2012 7:41:22 PM   
rich

You were tracking what down? This thread is quite old, so I am a little lost.

These?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Theatrical/dp/B000FMRYNE/ref=sr_1_18?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1352835639&sr=1-18

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 143
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI