Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 28/6/2006 4:02:44 PM   
UTB

Sorry if there's already a thread on these:

• Audio commentary from writer/director George Lucas, sound designer Ben Burtt, Industrial Light & Magic's Dennis Muren and actress Carrie Fisher
  • Disc 1:
  • Digitally restored and remastered 'Special Edition' version of the film (5.1 Surround)
  • Disc 2:
  • Original version, just as it was seen in theatres in 1977! (2.0 Surround)

• Audio commentary from George Lucas, director Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher
  • Disc 1:
  • Digitally restored and remastered 'Special Edition' version of the film (5.1 Surround)
  • Disc 2:
  • Original version, just as it was seen in theatres in 1980! (2.0 Surround)

• Audio commentary from George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher
  • Disc 1:
  • Disc 2:
  • Original version, just as it was seen in theatres in 1983! (2.0 Surround)

Play.com says they are available "for a limited time only!"

11th September. 16.99 each.

As i dont own any of the releases already I'll be getting them!
  • Post #: 1
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 5:42:11 PM   
    steelydan3

So, anybody going to get these?  It's just over a month to go till they come out.  I'm just going to log on to my Amazon account to CANCEL my order.  I have decided to not spend money paying for a film that I already have (the SE) and an inferior version of a film, with the sound and picture not being 5.1 or restored and no new extras.  You're actually really paying for the Special Editions of these films, rather than the original versions.  I can't see Lucas saying 'Oh, there was actually no interest in these films after all'  because thousands of people have expressed an interest, so if not many buy these, he would be a fool to think we're not interested, because we are, though not in inferior versions.  Hopefully the message will be getting through to him that is on every forum.  Anyway, sorry, rant over.  I have a few other films I want to get around the time of these being released and would rather spent money on them.  So thoughts from anybody else?      

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

(in reply to UTB)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 5:47:03 PM   
    Tech_Noir

If there was a new commentary track on each film I might have been tempted.

I think I'll give these a pass.

Sorry George.

(in reply to steelydan3)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 5:51:01 PM   
    steelydan3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

If there was a new commentary track on each film I might have been tempted.

I think I'll give these a pass.

Sorry George.

That's what I thought, even if there was so much as a commentary track, it might be worth getting.  However, I think it appears they just have the one on the first disc for the first film and nothing on the second, just the film. 

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 5:59:57 PM   
    demondemon

i'll stick to my laserdisc boots with semi commentary tracks.also the cool star wars thx intro!!

(in reply to steelydan3)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:11:41 PM   
    directorscut

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

Would you pay DVD prices for a VHS?

If some other film came out on DVD after being transfered from a 15 year old lazerdisc with absolutely no clean-up done - wouldn't you want to destroy who ever made them?

If you buy these DVDs you are a Lucasfilm branded sheep.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to UTB)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:31:25 PM   
    Spectre

Am I right in thinking that these releases cannot be played in widescreen?

(in reply to directorscut)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:34:41 PM   
    themessiah

There are rumours going around that the commentaries are taken from the laserdiscs which came out years ago.....

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"

(in reply to Spectre)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:40:29 PM   
    Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

There are rumours going around that the commentaries are taken from the laserdiscs which came out years ago.....

Really?

Now I'm unsure, I've never heard the laserdisc commentaries.... Then again I could use the money on something more interesting. There's nothing more that can be said about these films that I don't already know.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 1/8/2006 6:41:42 PM >

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:45:57 PM   
    UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

Would you pay DVD prices for a VHS?

If some other film came out on DVD after being transfered from a 15 year old lazerdisc with absolutely no clean-up done - wouldn't you want to destroy who ever made them?

If you buy these DVDs you are a Lucasfilm branded sheep.

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDS.

Not being a Star Wars fan, though still having an interest (plus not having bought any other Star Wars release), I'm buying. Besides, they arent quite "vhs" since they come with the remastered versions as well.

You're only a sheep if you've bought every release.

Post #: 10
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 6:59:48 PM   
    demondemon

the 1994 laserdisc box set had aload of extras which turned up on the executor video box set over here in 1995 limited to 20000. the laserdisc set had partial commentary tracks. which is only interview segments and not a full running commentary. sometimes 10-20 minutes without any commentary.
    but loads of releases of old films are taken from old,sometimes laserdisc transfers. it was all criterion did for a few years. alot of the commentary tracks you hear on older films are sometimes taken from their old laserdisc. i love star wars but this is what we wanted 2 years ago not this crap. and whoever designs covers for lucas needs shooting.

(in reply to UTB)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 7:15:06 PM   
    steelydan3

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

I haven't heard these rumours.  I think the only commentary that is going to be on it is the Special Edition commentary, as the people involved on those commentaries are the same ones listed.  By the way, would they not have told us that in the official press release they had a few months ago, that said I think, the only features these discs would have would be a Lego Star Wars game trailer, and I think, a playable demo too. 

Really?

Now I'm unsure, I've never heard the laserdisc commentaries.... Then again I could use the money on something more interesting. There's nothing more that can be said about these films that I don't already know.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 7:40:18 PM   
    Hartigan

I think its funny how for years people have bitched about the special editions and demanded the original versions on dvd completly as they were and untouched.

Lucas does exactly this and people complain...personally I like the idea of the sound being in 2.0 and not being remastered because then you are watching the ORIGINAL film, the sound hasn't been tampered with to try and sound 5.1 and picture hasn't been enhanced. 5.1 sometimes sounds dodgy when it has been done to a film which was in mono or stereo originally (the previous original trilogy dvds had bad sound devolpment) and sometimes they have to replace sounds (The good, the bad and the ugly)

Lucas has done what the fans wanted...for once I think it would be nice to show him some appreciation..he didn't really need to release these in the first place, and if you do think "why pay dvd price for a vhs?", then those people should have bought the vhs originals instead of bitching about it for years.

< Message edited by Hartigan -- 1/8/2006 7:41:26 PM >

An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to steelydan3)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 8:00:36 PM   
    directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartigan

I think its funny how for years people have bitched about the special editions and demanded the original versions on dvd completly as they were and untouched.

Lucas does exactly this and people complain...personally I like the idea of the sound being in 2.0 and not being remastered because then you are watching the ORIGINAL film, the sound hasn't been tampered with to try and sound 5.1 and picture hasn't been enhanced. 5.1 sometimes sounds dodgy when it has been done to a film which was in mono or stereo originally (the previous original trilogy dvds had bad sound devolpment) and sometimes they have to replace sounds (The good, the bad and the ugly)

Lucas has done what the fans wanted...for once I think it would be nice to show him some appreciation..he didn't really need to release these in the first place, and if you do think "why pay dvd price for a vhs?", then those people should have bought the vhs originals instead of bitching about it for years.

The people want the originals on DVD - in DVD quality.

95% of the films are already restored. All Lucas has to do is restore the scenes he has tampered with.

The is NO REASON AT ALL in this day to use a 15 year old lazerdisc print. 

This release is just the HEIGHT OF LAZINESS and a case of CASHING THE FAT COW.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Hartigan)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 1/8/2006 8:54:59 PM   
    lord of the pies

The commentary track is the same one that was on the other DVD releases.

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

Post #: 15
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 8:14:11 AM   
    iamjacksass

I am in total agreement with those disappointed by these releases.
    Why couldn't he clear them up, he doesn't have to mess with the films content, just clean the print up and clear the sound. I agree it should be in stereo.
    My biggest gripe is it should be anamorphic at least (which it isn't) so when I watch it on my widescreen tv i'm going to have to blow the picture up and deteriorate the quality even more.
    George oh George why so much contempt for the original versions? They deserve a release of their own, if you couldn't be arsed to do it then give it to a company that would lovingly restore them to a glorious state. You know you would sell enough of them to make it worth while so why piss off your loyal fans.
    Think I'll stick to my dvd version ripped off laserdisc that I downloaded a while ago, as thats all Georgey boy has done.

(in reply to lord of the pies)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 8:44:19 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

Not owning any of the original Star Wars films on DVD, I might consider getting these. I just have one question. Each release has the original version and the "Special Edition", Is this the special edition shown in the cinemas in 1997, or the 1997 version plus amended bits from the DVD release of 2004?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to iamjacksass)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 9:47:02 AM   
    jediwarrior

I refuse to buy these. I brought the boxset when that came out and that is good enough for me.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 9:53:19 AM   
    Tech_Noir

I have VHS originals from 1994, I can easily transfer her them to DVD... in fact I'll do that this sunday.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 10:15:43 AM   
    RuffKut

quote:

I have VHS originals from 1994, I can easily transfer her them to DVD... in fact I'll do that this sunday.

What would be the point of that exactly?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartigan

Lucas has done what the fans wanted...for once I think it would be nice to show him some appreciation..he didn't really need to release these in the first place.

My sentiments exactly.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 10:41:57 AM   
    stuartbannerman

Im upgrading my Spec Ed box set for these releases.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to Hartigan)
    Post #: 21
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 10:50:10 AM   
    demondemon

people are fucked off because he knows fans wanted them for years. he then fucked the films up with the last box set. which were so bad i got rid of mine. he's only doing it now to make more money and to stop bootleggers. he cant stand anyone else making anymoney from anything to do with star wars. like when he tried to  stop those kids who did that phantom edit.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
    Post #: 22
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 11:20:54 AM   
    RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: demondemon

people are fucked off because he knows fans wanted them for years.

And the fans are getting them, so what's the problem? These very same 'fans' are now whining and moaning because the movies that are being released are 'too untouched' - the guy can't win.

quote:

he cant stand anyone else making any money from anything to do with star wars.

Why should other people be able to make money by selling bootleg versions? You can't blame the guy for wanting to put a stop to that surely?

quote:

...like when he tried to stop those kids who did that phantom edit.

He wasn't too worried about it to start with, but when copies started turning up for sale then he stepped in - again, where's your problem with that?

(in reply to demondemon)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 11:29:02 AM   
    demondemon

because he said he'd never release them as the original trilogy. people accepted that and bought his naff dvds a few years ago.
    i wouldnt want them touched up. i'd want them as they were. clean the print if they must but i wouldnt be bothered. all everyones ever wanted from the start is the original trilogy and a big set of extras. it could be the best dvd of all time instead its just milking the cow. i'm not a lord of the rings fan but at least those are decent.

(in reply to RuffKut)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 11:39:17 AM   
    RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: demondemon

because he said he'd never release them as the original trilogy.

So you'd be happier if he hadn't listened to the fans? I don't get that...

quote:

i wouldnt want them touched up. i'd want them as they were. clean the print if they must but i wouldnt be bothered.

And that is what is being released...

(in reply to demondemon)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 11:43:33 AM   
    Walkerboy

In all honesty, the issue is that there will probably be another release in 2007 to celebrate the 30th anniversary.
    You never know if it's really worth buying the DVD because there's the possibility that an improved version will arrive later.

That pisses me off in general about DVDs though - especially with Lucas and Jackson releasing X different versions every couple of years.

In theory, those that bought originally should be able to take their originals into a shop and, with a small payment, get the upgraded/extended/latest version.

Going back to this issuing of Star Wars - I won't be touching it.
    I have the original trilogy on VHS from the late 80's and may as well just copy those onto DVD - it will cost me less and the quality won't be any worse!
    The fact that, in order to get the original trilogy, you have to purchase it with the Special Editions is a joke too!
    We only got the Special Edition DVDs last year, so it takes the piss that Lucas expects us to buy them again in order to get the original version.

"The Internet is a communication tool used the world over where people can come together to bitch about movies and share pornography with one another."

(in reply to demondemon)
    Post #: 26
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 11:58:14 AM   
    RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walkerboy

I have the original trilogy on VHS from the late 80's and may as well just copy those onto DVD - it will cost me less and the quality won't be any worse!

Yes it will - it'll be far worse. Ignoring the fact that you'll have to squeeze a 140 minute movie onto a DVD5 (and thus seriously compromising the picture quality), you'll be going from a 16 year old VHS copy with all the picture and sound issues that that involves. You think that'll be better than going from the master they used for the laserdisc release onto a DVD9?

(in reply to Walkerboy)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 12:42:21 PM   
    steelydan3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Not owning any of the original Star Wars films on DVD, I might consider getting these. I just have one question. Each release has the original version and the "Special Edition", Is this the special edition shown in the cinemas in 1997, or the 1997 version plus amended bits from the DVD release of 2004?

The 1997 versions with the amended bits, as far as I'm aware. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 12:44:11 PM   
    steelydan3

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

Im upgrading my Spec Ed box set for these releases.

Can I ask what boxset you have stuart?  If you have the 3 disc one, that seems fine, but if you have the 4 disc one, you're losing out on having your bonus disc. 

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! - 2/8/2006 1:47:03 PM   
    stuartbannerman

I do have the 4 disc one. And even though i am losing the documentary. its not the sort of doc id watch more than once really. i enjoyed it. But thats about it.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to UTB)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Star Wars Original Theatrical Releases! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
    Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI