Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carlito's Way - 21/10/2005 11:35:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
amazing - 4/1/2006 8:06:02 PM   
doncopey1

perhaps the most underrated film ever made, pacino and penn are simply astounding on screen and really do bring a wonderful real life rapport to the audience. Pacino wonderful narration certainly helps the film along not tom mention an extra dimention to pacinos character whilst penns unsavoury lawyer is simply genius. A Great performances from penn and pacino and overall a great fil which deserves the credit that it doesnt get.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 14/1/2006 9:19:49 AM   
taz_e

DePalma, Pacino...What more can I say!

Post #: 3
- 10/3/2006 6:39:41 PM   
umer_ejaz

I think this film was brilliant, but the only downside to it was that i think was Al Pacino cos i think the characters he plays are to hard hitting

Post #: 4
- 11/3/2006 9:13:47 PM   
Naweed_1

Sean Penn was amazing, Pacino was great as usual, and this was probaly one of Brian De Palma's best.
The Mature version of Scarface.

Post #: 5
pacino's way - 3/6/2007 12:00:59 PM   
jr146

one of his best ever performances, just a simply fantastic intense actor, love him to bits. sean penn is excellent, such an enjoyable, tense film, didn't want it to end. simply sublime work.

Post #: 6
The Forgotten Masterpiece - 31/10/2007 5:02:58 PM   
Manfrendshensindshen

Pacino in top form. Stellar, yet purposeful direction by Brian DePalma. A stunning turn by Sean Penn. An ace script by David Koepp that is in fact a clichŽ, but never feels like it. So why oh why does the better part of the movie-watching public seem to have forgotten about what is arguably one of the finest films of the 80s, and without a question Brian DePalma's best work? Answers are hard to find when one is presented with such a compelling story, full of interesting characters (bar the generic love interest) and nail-biting suspense, as well as a great sense of atmosphere (Carlito's way features some of the best retro production design ever).
Pacino's Carlito Brigante, the honest man haunted by crime, the criminal who's too soft, should be in everybody's memory as the ultimate mŽlange of Michael Corleone's callm restraint and Vincent Hanna's 'hoo-ha' antics. It is a wonderfully nuanced performance, which reminds you on what top form Pacino was back in the early 90s. Similarly, Penn's Dave Kleinfeld prove that the actor is equally capable of portraying a spineless, ruthless tosser just as well as his current tortured persona.
But characters and acting are all but matched by Brian DePalma's breathtaking direction. Of course he cannot use the camer angles everybody else does, but in this case there is a purpose behind all the gimmickery; the technical brilliance enhances the story instead of distracting from it. Never before or again has DePalma put his visual talents to such effective use. It is a shame that he is still better known for his Eisenstein rip-off in The Untouchables than the incredible 15-minute-chase through a subway and Grand Central Station, which is among the longest and most suspenseful climaxes in film history.
There's even more to adore in Carlito's Way (eg Patrick Doyle's beautiful score), but the points made above should actually be sufficient to get anybody remotely interested in film to go and watch this gem.

Post #: 7
Sean penn is Brilliant - 2/11/2007 6:57:53 AM   
bobbyperu

Two brilliant performances in De Palma's best film.

Post #: 8
Sean penn is Brilliant - 2/11/2007 6:57:53 AM   
bobbyperu

Two brilliant performances in De Palma's best film.

Post #: 9
brilliant - 23/10/2008 3:38:59 PM   
dhowdy

have seen this film over and over again and still it remains as fresh and as exhilerating as it was the first time around. gangster film perfection...

Post #: 10
Carlito's Way is a powerhouse! - 5/4/2010 8:48:44 PM   
nc_jj

Pacino is great, as usual. Sean Penn gave one of the best performances of his career, and De Palma did the job of a lifetime. This is, indeed, a Great Movie!

Post #: 11
Carlito's Way - 4/11/2011 12:01:37 AM   
Biggus

Something changed with Pulp Fiction. For the better in a lot of respects. Cliched genres were revitalised, bloated blockbusters were burst and stagnant film-maker were re-energised. An entire generation's backside was well and truly kicked. But at what cost? In short: 'The Good Old Fashioned Gangster Movie TM'.

Since the dawn of cinema, film-makers have seduced us with the perils and pitfalls of the wrong side of the tracks. Films such as Wellman's The Public Enemy (1931), Hawks' Scarface (1932), Coppola's The Godfather (1972), De Palma's Scarface (1983) and Scorsese's Goodfellas (1990) have seduced and, if executed correctly, repulsed movie-goers for decades into indulging their fantasies of power (the latter arguably the most effectively so). Yet since the emergence of Mr Tarantino's 1994 pop culture-laden masterpiece, despite the aforementioned plus points, sadly many film-makers who followed have twisted his efforts into a slew of trashy, misdirected bore-fests (mentioning no Smokin' Ac... er... sorry I mean names) which have largely populated the mainstream ever since with their self-referential tosh and epileptic editing.

Just one small year before this cultural shift occurred, 70s movie brat Brian De Palma decided to grace us with one final Good Old Fashioned Gangster Movie - Carlito's Way. Recruiting Al Pacino as the titular Puerto Rican desperate to go straight, Carlito's Way is the kind of thoughtful, romantic and absorbing crime flick that has sadly been absent from our cinema screens in recent years and harks back to a time when cinema-goers genuinely rooted for people you know should really get their comeuppance sooner rather than later.

The story of Carlito's Way is a simple one; Hispanic former dope-peddler Carlito Brigante, freshly released from prison after serving only 5 years of an expected 30 year sentence, attempts to go straight. The film itself plays out very much in the form of a tragedy with Brigante himself almost always dressed in black. All of his attempts at leading an honourable return to society are skewed at every turn, not only by the hoodlums of his previous life but also by his own, as his lawyer so astutely puts it, "self-righteous code of the god-damn street". He wants to pull away but he can't. He never will. Another central theme of the film is change. "What a man gotta come to when he loses 5 years". Each character from his past fills the story a sense of unease as they enter the frame. Be it shifts in name, personality or allegiance, everyone Brigante crosses is differerent from what he remembers. Some immediately apparent, some less so. The one exception being "the one face that didn't change. One face that still knows you... looks at the same way it always did", namely his former girlfriend Gail who is there as Carlito's beacon of hope, the one good thing in his life to guide him out of 'the street'.

In amongst this journey we have the revelatory turn from Sean Penn as Brigante's slimy, coke-addled lawyer Dave Kleinfeld, undoubtedly the performance which turned the Artist Formerly Known As Spicoli into the method-munching, Oscar-guzzler we know today. Kleinfeld is the perfect thorn in Carlito's well-meaning side, constantly pulling him in the direction we all hope he'll steer clear of.

On revisiting this film it really did strike me that it's the last of its kind. The tragic, romantic gangster movie which makes you root for its hero but never enough to be unsympathetic when circumstances go awry. The type of film that indulges your deepest desires but never lets you forget what a huge mistake you'd be making. A cinematic moral compass of a bygone era that meant you never actually needed to see the shrink. So to Carlito's Way and all who preceded it I will leave you with the words of the protagonist concerned:

"Adios counsellor, you were good..."

< Message edited by Biggus -- 4/11/2011 12:06:57 AM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 12
RE: Carlito's Way - 4/11/2011 2:37:17 PM   
Jonnie_K

one of the few DVDs I own. Not sure what that says about anything to be honest.

PS3 CyberRipper_X *** Xbox360 JBlackdog

"if you see something move, shoot it, If it screams in german, shoot it again!" Brothers in Arms

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 13
RE: Carlito's Way - 8/12/2011 4:28:33 AM   
spides

This movie is in my top three of all time, closely behind Goodfellas and Snatch.

I saw this year in watching this movie in a beautiful cottage in the middle of nowhere in sunny Brisbane.

Grossly underated

(in reply to Jonnie_K)
Post #: 14
A true masterpiece....but why so underated? - 5/1/2013 10:23:49 AM   
scarlettfan38

This is for me one of the truly great gangster films of all time..and yet for some reason "Carlitos Way"is overlooked.I think this is a real shame because this shows both Brian De Palma and Al Pacino at the top of their game.It also has a simply fantastic from Sean Penn as Carlto`s sleaze ball lawyer David Kleinfeld....and as for the scene at Union station.....that is one of my all time favourite movie scenes.

In short "Carlitos Way" is a film that should have more praise and respect given to it.A film of such quality and brilliance it needs a scond chance.

Post #: 15
Masterpiece - 16/2/2013 3:24:09 PM   
Mr Gittes

One of De Palma's very best. A fantastic script, masterclass performances and, of course, beautiful direction make this an unmissable classic.

Post #: 16
- 3/2/2014 4:37:07 PM   
Lord Varys

De Palma and Pacino greatest work!

Where is the original Empire review?

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Carlito's Way Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI