Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 2 Stars...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Stars... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2 Stars... - 12/11/2011 11:13:07 PM   
Private Hudson

I thought it was the poorest of the prequels. Mind you my enjoyment was spoiled by reading all the internet spoilers!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 31
Attack of The Clones - 13/11/2011 11:24:12 AM   
Tech_Noir

Nowhere near as bad as The Phantom Menace, a film I've never watched all the way through since 1999 (excluding commentary track viewings).

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 32
RE: 2 Stars... - 13/11/2011 11:53:45 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

...2 is all this gets.

wow. Feelin' generous eh, rich?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 33
RE: 2 Stars... - 13/11/2011 10:48:55 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

...2 is all this gets.

wow. Feelin' generous eh, rich?

Ah I was entertained by all of these when I was younger and stupider! And hey visual effects crafting, design work and music are worth something. The writing, acting and real film making skills get nil!

< Message edited by rich -- 13/11/2011 10:50:08 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 34
RE: for fuck sake george - 14/11/2011 2:01:14 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

A visually stunning space epic.

Watch 2001:A Space Odyssey if you want a visually stunning space epic.

quote:

Terrific action,fx,and scenery.

What scenery? Its all plastic looking digital backrounds and a horrible colour palette.

quote:

The speeder chase through Coruscant is worth the price of admission alone and probably the best chase scene of the whole saga.

No, the asteroid chase in Empire or the speeder-bike chase in Jedi are much better.

quote:

Oh and Natalie Portman has never looked hot.

Fixed that for you.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 35
RE: for fuck sake george - 14/11/2011 3:33:33 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

What scenery? Its all plastic looking digital backrounds and a horrible colour palette.

quote:

The speeder chase through Coruscant is worth the price of admission alone and probably the best chase scene of the whole saga.

No, the asteroid chase in Empire or the speeder-bike chase in Jedi are much better.

quote:

Fixed that for you.

Wow Spaldron not a fan then. For me its the worst Star Wars film out of the series.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 36
RE: for fuck sake george - 14/11/2011 6:35:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fixed that for you.

I disagree.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: for fuck sake george - 14/11/2011 11:48:02 PM   
rich

quote:

I disagree.

Yeah, suck it Spaldron!

Meanwhile...

Post #: 38
RE: for fuck sake george - 15/11/2011 1:01:19 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

Yeah, suck it Spaldron!

Pwned.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 39
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 7:40:59 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Doesn't the film earn comedy points for seeing Yoda fight Count Dooku? In the first film we went from a spoiled bratty kid ("WOW! Cool! Spaceships! Pew pew pew!") to the second film where we had a pouty teen strutting around ("I hate you! I hate you! and I hate you!"). Awful film, not even redeemed by the special effects. If you want epic battles, stick to the "Lord of the Rings". 

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 20/11/2011 7:41:29 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 40
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 8:20:47 PM   
directorscut

Empire trying to retcon Chris Hewitt's 5-star review of this movie out of existance is almost as bad as Lucas's treatment of the Star Wars Trilogy.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 41
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 8:30:00 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Perhaps the film needs another director's cut?...uhh directorscut.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 42
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 9:38:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Empire trying to retcon Chris Hewitt's 5-star review of this movie out of existance is almost as bad as Lucas's treatment of the Star Wars Trilogy.

Yeah, cause they have done such a job making us forget haven't they?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 43
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 10:15:45 PM   
superdan

Empire even take the piss out of themselves for that review, they're hardly trying to deny it ever happened.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: for fuck sake george - 20/11/2011 11:09:09 PM   
rich

They've also given out far more worrying scores since then

Meanwhile...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 45
RE: for fuck sake george - 21/11/2011 1:52:01 AM   
Cool Breeze

I wouldnt give AOTC five stars but its a damn fine movie all the same.

You want a five star review travesty? Superman Returns.Christ on a bike,that was one shite film!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 46
RE: for fuck sake george - 21/11/2011 2:30:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Empire even take the piss out of themselves for that review, they're hardly trying to deny it ever happened.

Yeah, they did a bit about it in the retrospective special issue they put out last year.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: for fuck sake george - 21/11/2011 4:23:32 AM   
directorscut

quote:

You want a five star review travesty? Superman Returns.Christ on a bike,that was one shite film!

Superman Returns is an infinitely better film than AOTC. It had people acting, a director directing, a script that was written and made sense, real sets. some special effects that were actually special.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 48
RE: for fuck sake george - 21/11/2011 12:54:27 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Superman Returns is an infinitely better film than AOTC. It had people acting, a director directing, a script that was written and made sense, real sets. some special effects that were actually special.

Oh dear

Post #: 49
RE: for fuck sake george - 21/11/2011 12:57:16 PM   
matty_b

Sorry, Darth. Some people have that opinion.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 50
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 3:56:12 PM   
Rollo_Tomassi

Attack of the Clowns might be worse than The Phantom Mess, but I've never really been able to determine which is worse with more than a minor amount of certainty.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 51
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 7:08:48 PM   
superdan

AotC is worse. Much, much worse.

(in reply to Rollo_Tomassi)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 7:22:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

Agree - Clones is the worst of the lot. And has dated BADLY. 

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 53
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 7:50:02 PM   
Drew_231

I think TPM looks quite good next to Clones actually

At least it has some stuff you can get behind. Darth Maul is ace, Liam Neeson brings a strong sense of gravitas to the film, and the saber fights are great

Unfortunatly for me, Clones has nothing to get excited about. The two major set pieces (the factory and the pit fight) are basically ripped off from Chicken Run ands Gladiator, and theres not a single interesting character to root for

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 54
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 8:35:27 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231
Unfortunatly for me, Clones has nothing to get excited about. The two major set pieces (the factory and the pit fight) are basically ripped off from Chicken Run ands Gladiator, and theres not a single interesting character to root for

I didn't like either of those two set pieces. The factory bit is just a platform game, and the bit with the monsters in the pit looks at times like it was done by Ray Harryhausen, only minus the charm. The battle between the clones and the bugs is peculiarly sterile too. And through it all you have C3-PO wisecracking his way from one 'hilarious' situation to another ("Oh this is such a drag" ). Seriously, those one-liners are dreadful. Tim Vine would be embarrassed to read them from a Christmas cracker.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 55
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 11:49:33 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

At least it has some stuff you can get behind. Darth Maul is ace, Liam Neeson brings a strong sense of gravitas to the film, and the saber fights are great

Blessed be Brian's in it too. There are some good actors in there as you mentioned. Terrence Stamp looks as though he sleepwalked through the whole thing though. But Hugh Quarshie put in a decent turn as Captain Panaka. Ahmed Worst doesn't help with his Jar-Jar Stinks character. Shame really, could've been the start of something special.The only highlight for me was the lightsabre duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. The fight choreography was something we hadn't seen before. It definitely gave a new edge to the lightsabre duel which before that had been sterile "You are weak!" *horizontal slash* "I'll become more powerful than you could possible imagine" *vertical slash*...indeed you could say someone pissed over the franchise.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 22/11/2011 11:52:07 PM >

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 56
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22/11/2011 11:57:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

Blessed be Brian's in it too. There are some good actors in there as you mentioned. Terrence Stamp looks as though he sleepwalked through the whole thing though. But Hugh Quarshie put in a decent turn as Captain Panaka. Ahmed Worst doesn't help with his Jar-Jar Stinks character. Shame really, could've been the start of something special.The only highlight for me was the lightsabre duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. The fight choreography was something we hadn't seen before. It definitely gave a new edge to the lightsabre duel which before that had been sterile "You are weak!" *horizontal slash* "I'll become more powerful than you could possible imagine" *vertical slash*...indeed you could say someone pissed over the franchise.

Disagree with your criticism of the older fights. The point of those fights were never how they threw their laser swords at each other, but the words that were said inbetween them.

TPM did have a fun and interesting battle. And as a one off it would have been great. But they used it time and again in the next two.

Post #: 57
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 23/11/2011 12:51:11 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Regardless of the intent of the earlier duels. I referred to the actual style and choreography of the fights. They were much improved for me and gave a sense of how athletic and adroit the jedi and sith were. There was a certain level of fluidity to them. The older ones were just too stilted and rigid. The lightsabre duels subsequent to TPM weren't as good I agree.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 58
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 23/11/2011 1:02:55 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Regardless of the intent of the earlier duels. I referred to the actual style and choreography of the fights. They were much improved for me and gave a sense of how athletic and adroit the jedi and sith were. There was a certain level of fluidity to them. The older ones were just too stilted and rigid. The lightsabre duels subsequent to TPM weren't as good I agree.

Ah, but as we know from Yoda, it isn't about hard well you fight physically that matters in the end.

I also think Empire and Jedi fights are pretty wonderful. They tell a story. And none of the Prequels match the sheer poetry of the moment when Luke unleashes on Vader in Jedi.

Post #: 59
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 23/11/2011 1:14:20 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Ah, but as we know from Yoda, it isn't about hard well you fight physically that matters in the end.

I also think Empire and Jedi fights are pretty wonderful. They tell a story. And none of the Prequels match the sheer poetry of the moment when Luke unleashes on Vader in Jedi.

Despite Yoda being able to jump off the walls and do a few somersaults.

I'll agree with the end duel in Return of the Jedi. The sort of choiral singing soundtrack whilst Luke is hacking away at Vader did provide the most emotive duel out of all the films. Plus a bit more athleticism than what was seen previously.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: 2 Stars... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI