Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 1/10/2005 5:57:18 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Utter Rubbish.. - 30/5/2006 10:43:06 AM   
Orbital

http://homepage.mac.com/dtrull/pix/aotc/jangoboba.jpg

I might give it one star
Post #: 2
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 31/5/2006 11:24:32 AM   
Ryan_D_Bell

At least 3 stars.  Maybe 4 if you're in the cinema. 
Would have been better if AOTC was actually Episode 1 - then Episode 2 could have been more about Obi Wan and Anakin's adventures in the tone of the first 30 mins of Sith (which was quality). That way Anakin could have been established as more of a golden hero to the galaxy before his disastrous slide to the D Side.

As it is I think Anakin got dark too gradually with mood swings and possessiveness - would have been better if he was the paragon and saviour of the Jedi Order before becoming the fallen angel who suddenly sacrifices his soul for love.

He should have been more like Luke rather than a bit of a spoilt asshole who just happened to be on the goodies side.  Chosen One?  No that was Eddie Murphy.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 31/5/2006 6:59:58 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Attack of the Clones deserves praise for a number of reasons. The action is largely superb, the finale is awesome moving from Gladiator to Apocalypse Now effortlessly. Even Yoda did his part despite the excellent Frank Oz lapsing into Fozzy Bear during the fight with Christopher Lee's Tyranus. 

I thought the scene in the Tusken village was superb the death of his mother and the subsequent rage and regret were handled perfectly. On a personal note this section also included a shot for shot homage to my all time favourite film so naturally I am a little biased.

I think Empire should have had the good sense to stand by their original review, I don't see the point in messing about in retrospect.

I enjoyed the originals as a child and I have enjoyed the Prequels with my children. I do not wish to anger or upset anybody but you must remember that these movies are intended as family erntertainment and I think as our children grow so will the reputaion of the Prequels.

Post #: 4
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 31/5/2006 7:46:59 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle_Ethan

Attack of the Clones deserves praise for a number of reasons. The action is largely superb, the finale is awesome moving from Gladiator to Apocalypse Now effortlessly. Even Yoda did his part despite the excellent Frank Oz lapsing into Fozzy Bear during the fight with Christopher Lee's Tyranus. 

I thought the scene in the Tusken village was superb the death of his mother and the subsequent rage and regret were handled perfectly. On a personal note this section also included a shot for shot homage to my all time favourite film so naturally I am a little biased.

I think Empire should have had the good sense to stand by their original review, I don't see the point in messing about in retrospect.

I enjoyed the originals as a child and I have enjoyed the Prequels with my children. I do not wish to anger or upset anybody but you must remember that these movies are intended as family erntertainment and I think as our children grow so will the reputaion of the Prequels.

In no way does the film do that. The action scenes were not entertaining at least revenge of the Sith and Phantom managed to construct some decent entertainment levels, this comes vastly short of producing the thorough entertainment that we Should have been entitled to. Apart from an excellent Yoda-Dooku fight the film is utterly disappointing in every aspect. Dull action sequences that really failed to kick in. A totally un-believable love story, Lucas should be ashamed of the way he produced that and a back story that doesn't make us interested till the last 30 mins. * * *

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Uncle_Ethan)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 31/5/2006 8:23:09 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Not sure what you expect from a Star Wars film. I see these films as elaborate fairy tales no more, trust me it works for the target audience. Personally the only thing I cannot stand in the Prequels is the whole Midi-Chlorian strand and for me that was the result of playing to the wrong audience, if you want that sort of crap watch Star Trek.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 31/5/2006 9:38:12 PM   
jules100

Well the romance just didn't play,and as a result the first two thirds of the film fall completely flat.Once they land in the droid factory however,the Star Wars magic finally kicks in.The only thing spoiling that last third for me is that godawful CGI C3PO.

Post #: 7
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 1/6/2006 5:34:27 AM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle_Ethan

In no way does the film do that. The action scenes were not entertaining at least revenge of the Sith and Phantom managed to construct some decent entertainment levels, this comes vastly short of producing the thorough entertainment that we Should have been entitled to. Apart from an excellent Yoda-Dooku fight the film is utterly disappointing in every aspect. Dull action sequences that really failed to kick in. A totally un-believable love story, Lucas should be ashamed of the way he produced that and a back story that doesn't make us interested till the last 30 mins. * * *

How the heck can you compare AOTC Lucas film to Apocalypse Now ?

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 1/6/2006 7:36:56 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Hang on, I am only talking about the finale, the Arena is reminiscent of Gladiator and the Clones arrival is clearly based on the Air Cavalry, that is it. AOTC and Apocalypse are obviously two different films altogether, and to be honest, apart from Brando's Kurtz and Duvall's Kilgore I'd rather watch AOTC. I've also read the book, Conrad's, 'Heart of Darkness' which is even duller,so I blame the story not Coppola, because Godfather II is a classic.

As for Star Wars to be honest I can't see why so many people get so worked up over a family movie.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 1/6/2006 9:35:16 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Just came back from Iraq where a comrade of mine from Saluca (Saint Luca...i dunno, berate me for my geography later) had watched Star Wars for the first time.  Thing was this was the first person i ever met who had watched star wars from Episode I to VI as an epsiode virgin.  He HAD NEVER SEEN EPSIODES IV TO VI beforehand!

It was weird.  He would give me a kind of post film report each episode (in the bar before a smirking 'we've seen it all already audience')  and it was a unique perspective to see someone's excitement at Star Wars in chronological order.  He initially thought the 'serial' was crazy, weird and that Anakin was headin for trouble, followed by a weird awestruck reaction to Darth Vader's theme tune in Empire Strikes Back.  He whistled it at me like he had heard something new.

The last epsiode - ROTJ - is the only one he can't get hold of out there.  It is REALLY weird to see someone slavering at the bit to see a film I saw decades ago.  I am envious of the magic he is experiencing that we all miss.
Name 1 recent  film that meets those expectations.

(in reply to Uncle_Ethan)
Post #: 10
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 5/6/2006 6:38:51 PM   
~Angel~

I enjoyed it the first time..... didnt like it as much the second time.... the third time round was just taking the biscuit! Although not as bad as The Phantom Menace it certainly doesnt live up to the masterpieces that were made over 20 years ago! Where did George go wrong?? Well for starters he cast Hayden Christensen as Anakin , the scene in the field with that hippo/reptile looking thing was just pointless and the scene in the arena just looked fake, it looked like it belonged in a computer game or somethin!!

George... what were you thinking!!!

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 11
RE: - 8/6/2007 12:03:28 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Having just rewatched the first trilogy, I've been reappraising them now that the dust has settled, so to speak.

Attack of the Clones I would put at the same level as Phantom Menace. It is only redeemed by the battle which follows the quite immortal words, 'around the survivors, a perimeter create'.

I agree with all comments regarding Hayden Christensen's acting. Apparently he can act, so we can't lay all the blame at his feet - it's just easiest to do so. George Lucas's worse than atrocious script has a big part to play. The prequel trilogy do come off as a fair bit colder than the original, but arguably one could say that this is because the story they are telling is ultimately a downward spiral to the nadir of the galaxy - the Rise of the Empire (a much better title for episode III, as would have been A Dark Lord Rises, but there we go).

AOTC will inevitably get most attention because not only is it part of a much maligned trilogy, but it is also the difficult bridging episode where we get neither the beginning, nor the conclusion of the story. While watching it, I found it very difficult to see which was which side - we had the Republic, the Trade Federation, Separatists, and Loyalists. Somewhere the Jedi fit in, and we know we get Rebels and an Empire by the end of it. Part of the confusion was trying to work out during Episode II which of these camps would become what in the original trilogy - how would it fit?

I had a mild revelation as I decided to ignore the original trilogy, and simply take what was happening at face value, assuming no prior knowledge. When you stop trying to match bits together, it becomes less confusing. For instance, why are what look like storm troopers fighting with the Jedi? It's very confusing. Accept it, however, and by Episode III, and Order 66, it becomes clear. I think Lucas has attempted to make the story such that in time, it could work as a whole story, rather than always being thought of as IV, V, VI & then I, II, III.

For all the poor scripting, and the resulting poor acting, AOTC is still a bit of fun, and if you treat it as such, can be a lot more enjoyable than upon first visiting.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 8/6/2007 12:52:13 PM   
mrdoom14

I thought this was terrible. It had a terrible script, clumsy dialoge, a boring romannce storyline and awful cgi.

Last Films I Watched
Tell No One
Hot Fuzz

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 9/6/2007 7:03:49 PM   
marky_77

it plods along with a few action moments here and there, but is overall disappointing. tpm was bad too, but that had more emotion, be it in dramatic areas than this film. really bad acting and dialogue in all 3 prequals. i just favour aotc over tpm though, i think!

will you commit to this programme?

(in reply to mrdoom14)
Post #: 14
RE: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 3/9/2007 11:44:08 AM   
shool

Not as bad as many people say. A let down compared to the original trilogy, but still a good film.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 15
RE: - 15/8/2008 3:33:11 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

it was even fuckin worse than phantom

I'll second that. At least phantom had a top fight at the end rather than some lightning bolt fuck trying to hit a big jumping flea.

Just dug this out for a retro-read with Clones being all topical and that. I thought it got 5/5?

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 20/8/2008 12:44:08 PM   
Gazdance

It did, in the original review but it was adjusted when Empire overhauled their reviews for the site.  If you missed out on all the harping and moaning when that happened then you're lucky.

Incidentally, I watched AOTC recently and found it to be quite enjoyable.  Three stars easily.  It was however, a five star viewing experience when I saw it for the first time on opening night.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 17
RE: Yoda rules ! - 6/5/2010 1:26:16 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: elimonator

Yoda's a true jedi.

use the force!
Post #: 18
RE: Yoda rules ! - 8/5/2010 1:48:24 PM   
max314

While mired by some lines of stilted dialogue and some obvious CGI, Attack of the Clones nevertheless opens up the world of Star Wars in a tantalising and visually spectacular way, and grounds its gargantuan galactic scope in the closest thing the Star Wars films have to a genuine and compelling character study. Also, the audience reaction to Yoda drawing his lightsaber was worth the price of admission alone.

3/5

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to flushedgordon)
Post #: 19
RE: Yoda rules ! - 9/5/2010 8:54:05 AM   
jobloffski

While its a bit late in the day to say, perhaps the film would have been improved if more, not less time had been spent with Padme/Anakin so that the central relationship upon which everything was supposed to depend could be developed properly. And getting the clones thing into it would surely have been much stronger if the goodies had been attacked by a Jango clone, killed him. Then another. Killed him. Everybody trying to kill them a Jango clone. My God, how many of them are there...build up that mystery, then never see just how many there are until the battle at the end, and then, the final shot of the massed ranks of them, holy shit...

Keeping the clone stuff fed in small chunks into a more focused plot followed by the big reveal at the end would have made the film more mysterious, but Lucas had to try and show everything, and cut down the screen time available for every aspect of the story. Actually being attacked by people who turn out to be clones would have made more sense of the title, and killing Jango clones over and over again and creating the feeling that there could be another one waiting for them wherever they went, and would have been quite spooky. Thus, the stuff happening 'behind the scenes would have fed into, and then completely took over the film.

And how many multitudes of sins could have been avoided if the exposition had taen place during action scenes (heard over coms equipment, and 'what the hell is happening' conversations rather than people just sitting and talking?

but bit late now to complain how trying to make absolutely every moment of the film(s) a visual/sound money shot only spread the atmosphere way too thin and relegated the acting/character development to a painfully obvious third place after 'stand there, say your lines, well fill in the picture later, don't move, you'll ruin the effects' direction and the soundtrack.

But its never too late to ask whether Lucas himself fell to his own personal dark side and was no longer able to tell the difference between effective storytelling and just trying to get as much of what he had in his head on the screen at once, at all times. Because while there is cool stuff in all the prequels, its the efficacy of the storytelling that is questionable in all three of them. What to linger on and what to race through is the most important thing to bear in mind in any story, and had Lucas been willing to employ script editors rather than seeking to do it all himself, the same stories could have been told, the same visuals could have ended up on the screen, and the gulf between the people an the screen and the CGI on display could have been narrowed.

And the latter point is the biggest problem with all three of the prequels. Ironically, while making films supposedly telling the story of the corrupting influence on the soul of seeking to control everything, the films ended up a little soulless because of Lucasdoing that very thing. Effectively Lucas became what he was trying to warn people about: all powerful within his sphere. When that happens, when there is no trusted voice to say 'perhaps that idea conflicts with that one' every idea gets treated as equally valid. But no matter how creative someone is, that is never, ever true.

Lucas should have employed someone and had 'hurt my feelings with your questions about my ideas' as their job description, rather than chatted to the 'Berg (one of his best friends) about his ideas. Yes, it can hurt to have your ideas challenged, but it makes you focus on why they are so important to you, and if that isn't coming across to the script editor, it makes you rework your idea so what you intend does come across. Or it makes you think of a new, better way to get it across. Operate in a vacuum too long, and eventually you suck.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/5/2010 9:00:52 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 20
RE: Yoda rules ! - 9/5/2010 7:22:09 PM   
max314

I like your idea of how to handle the Jango mystery.

I've built something of an affection for Obi-Wan's little adventure. Indeed, I think the mystery Lucas preferred to focus on was WHO had ordered the creation of a clone army as opposed to the mere fact that a clone army already existed.

But there is merit in your idea. I also agree that the Anakin/Padmé relationship was central to the whole thing, and despite the mockery, I feel there was a lot of genuinely good stuff in there. The whole section with Anakin returning to Tatooine to save his mother was brilliant in my view. Easily the strongest part of the film, and one of the strongest parts of the entire Star Wars saga.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 21
RE: Yoda rules ! - 10/5/2010 8:36:58 AM   
jobloffski

Cheers Max, but as I said, I'm a bit late

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 22
for fuck sake george - 25/10/2011 11:11:10 PM   
the film man

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is even worse then The Phantom Menace, enough said and this film also the relationship between Anikan and Padime is suposed to be vital but feels terribly forced.

Post #: 23
for fuck sake george - 25/10/2011 11:11:55 PM   
the film man

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is even worse then The Phantom Menace, enough said and this film also the relationship between Anikan and Padime is suposed to be vital but feels terribly forced.

Post #: 24
for fuck sake george - 25/10/2011 11:11:56 PM   
the film man

Post #: 25
RE: for fuck sake george - 6/11/2011 8:44:11 PM   
TheGodfather

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones
This was the third time I`ve seen this installment. The previous two times it didn`t really do it for me. Luckily, this time around it was different. I thought it was quite a good film this time with a (for the biggest part) nice dark atmosphere to it. The acting is, like in Episode I, still not strong but for the biggest part that is the fault of the so-so script that the cast needs to work with. The story is too stretched out, the film is at least twenty minutes too long.
The blu-ray makes a big part of the film look way too CGI, the extremely sharp transfer points that out even more.
All in all a vast improvement compared to its predecessor but of course not once it comes close to the level of the original trilogy.

7,7/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 26
RE: for fuck sake george - 7/11/2011 12:36:31 AM   
Spaldron

You're telling me there's a Star Wars thread that Silas hasn't posted on???!!!!!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 27
RE: for fuck sake george - 12/11/2011 9:31:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

A visually stunning space epic.Terrific action,fx,and scenery.

The speeder chase through Coruscant is worth the price of admission alone and probably the best chase scene of the whole saga.

Oh and Natalie Portman has never looked hotter!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 28
RE: for fuck sake george - 12/11/2011 9:44:27 PM   
Sutty

Y'know, I haven't watched this for such a long time... Saw it at the cinema and liked it. But it is star wars so....

Now, I don't remember too much about it...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 29
2 Stars... - 12/11/2011 10:07:34 PM   
rich

...2 is all this gets.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI