Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: You always were an asshole Gorman...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:11:28 PM   
Tech_Noir

It still amazes me that Aliens was made so well in the pre-computer days..

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 271
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:14:14 PM   
DazDaMan

It's true that they don't make 'em like they used to....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 272
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:17:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

It's credit to Cameron that not only were the effects great but the characters and script were top too. Hard to balance all of that as well as a bitchy British crew.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 273
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:23:26 PM   
darth silas

Isnt it interesting that the films that were the hardest to make under very difficult circumstances,turn out to be great? Aliens,Empire Strikes back,Blade Runner..

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 274
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:24:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

Titanic

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 275
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:29:07 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Isnt it interesting that the films that were the hardest to make under very difficult circumstances,turn out to be great? Aliens,Empire Strikes back,Blade Runner..

Definitely. Aguirre, The Mosquito Coast, Apocalypse Now...the list goes on.

Agree about Titanic, btw, Tech. But you knew that.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 276
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:30:05 PM   
Tech_Noir

The original Star Wars was hell for Uncle George.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 277
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:32:06 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

The original Star Wars was hell for Uncle George.

Yes, but what a fantastic piece of work.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 278
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:34:20 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

Jaws....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 279
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:36:07 PM   
Kazuya

"The shark still looks fake."

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 280
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:38:33 PM   
DazDaMan

Damn you, Marty McFly....

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 281
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:44:28 PM   
Kazuya

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 282
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:45:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

Like to add Masters of The Universe to the list of difficult shoots, the company went bust while they were making it!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 283
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:46:19 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

< Message edited by DazDaMan -- 21/4/2009 12:47:47 PM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 284
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 12:50:51 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Like to add Masters of The Universe to the list of difficult shoots, the company went bust while they were making it!

I like you Tech, you're good people.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 285
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 3:34:32 PM   
shool

Heck, most of the good quotes have gone.

" We’ve blown the trans-axle..you’re just grinding metal."

"Ease down"

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 286
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 3:46:20 PM   
Timon

Did IQs just drop while I was away......?

I notice that in 80s sci/fi films, everyone still smokes in the future.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 287
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 3:52:50 PM   
shool

This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 288
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 3:57:16 PM   
shool

All right, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we gonna conquer, and we gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

Yeah!

Are ya mean?

Yeah!

WHAT ARE YOU?

Lean and mean!

Aaarrrr. Absolutely Bad Asses

Stack em, pack em and rack em.

I love Apone

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 289
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 21/4/2009 3:59:03 PM   
DazDaMan

"Somebody wake up Hicks!"

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 290
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 28/1/2012 4:49:45 PM   
gazpop

Wow. It really is an honour to bump this thread. In fact, whilst reading it all through, some things have occured to me. Namely thus; in those days they didn't have anything like the computer power/abilities they have now so they couldn't 'do' what they can do so easily in these modern times (relatively speaking). Yes Avatar and Tintin and loads of others use CGI and mo-cap and all that shizzle to take us places we couldn't go before. And I applaud that. But when I was watching it, and right now, as I write this, those 2 films I mentioned (and most of the rest that have been made using the new advances) just don't leave me with a feeling of belief in them.

Now I know The Sulaco hoving into view and the Star Destroyer coming over the top of us could be achieved 'better' these days. But why is it I believe in them and not the others (so easily)? When I see the stills from the making of Alien/Aliens and see the way all the details are there; the olive-drab colour scheme. The outfits and uniforms. Hell, the cool trainers some of them wear. It takes you inside that world. When I see Ripley stalking through the lower levels looking for Newt, and I KNOW it's a film, why am I still so scared. For her and for me? Why do I still feel sheer awe at her courage and balls-to-the-wall attitude?

I guess it doesn't really matter why does it? Films like I just mentioned, along with others that cause me to 'believe' are the rarest of beasts. Bladerunner did it. I think AI did it. What am I saying; there are a fair few out there which we can applaud as they made us stop thinking/remembering that we were watching a film. But for all that it asks of you to believe, and it's a lot compared to most, no film has done it better than Aliens. Which is why we love it so much eh? Let's pray Scott doesn't 'do' an Alien3 with Prometheus.....
Edited, badly, for punctuation (pressing return)

< Message edited by gazpop -- 28/1/2012 6:17:14 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 291
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 28/1/2012 6:09:10 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I always enjoyed Roger Ebert's review - he found it too intense to really enjoy - I can see his point, the first time I saw it left me drained mentally because of the tension, the violence and the regular deaths of brilliant characters :

I've copied a couple of sections from the review :

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19860718/REVIEWS/607180301

"The ads for "Aliens" claim that this movie will frighten you as few movies have, and, for once, the ads don't lie. The movie is so intense that it creates a problem for me as a reviewer: Do I praise its craftsmanship, or do I tell you it left me feeling wrung out and unhappy? It has been a week since I saw it, so the emotions have faded a little, leaving with me an appreciation of the movie's technical qualities. But when I walked out of the theater, there were knots in my stomach from the film's roller-coaster ride of violence. This is not the kind of movie where it means anything to say you "enjoyed" it.

The movie made me feel bad. It filled me with feelings of unease and disquiet and anxiety. I walked outside and I didn't want to talk to anyone. I was drained. I'm not sure "Aliens" is what we mean by entertainment. Yet I have to be accurate about this movie: It is a superb example of filmmaking craft."

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 292
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 28/1/2012 6:18:03 PM   
gazpop

I like Ebert. When he agrees with me. But you know? there really is no pleasing some people sometimes

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 293
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 28/1/2012 11:43:23 PM   
Sutty

If the (re)viewer feels wrung out and knackered after this movie then surely Cameron did his job? Movies are supposed to make you run through the gammut of emotions are they not? Or at least the good ones with something to say. That doesn't mean you don't enjoy them. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" my first roller coaster or bungee jump. There were other more overwhelming feelings going through me at the time. But I loved it. Did I do it again? Oh yeah! Have I seen Aliens about 200 times? Yip. I want to go to the cinema and feel scared witless, or incredibly upset, or deliriously happy and punching the air with joy. Or all of these over the course of a film. Do I just want to sit and "enjoy" something passively? Occasionally, but I know what I'd rather have.

Oh, and Aliens is better than Alien. And as a sequel to a movie it is as good as The Godfather Part II. Definately on my all time top 10 movies.

"Hudon, sir. He's Hicks..."

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 294
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 29/1/2012 9:39:29 AM   
DazDaMan

"Is this gonna be a stand up fight, SIR, or another bug hunt?"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 295
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 29/1/2012 3:12:45 PM   
Spaldron

Can someone explain why there are two Aliens threads?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 296
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 29/1/2012 3:18:55 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

Jaws....

I'll see you Jaws and raise you Casablanca

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 297
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 30/1/2012 3:59:42 PM   
gazpop

Why? Was there a war going on or somthing?
Spalds? Are you actually complaining about there being 2 threads? Start another thread for Iron Maiden or something.....

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 298
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 30/1/2012 4:03:07 PM   
shool

This is what happens when people use non obvious titles for threads.

Either way Aliens is Awesome enough for two threads and since they've co-existed for such a long time it seems a shame to lock one over the other.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 299
RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... - 30/1/2012 4:12:07 PM   
gazpop

Lets here it for the Mods.....doo doo, lets give the Mods a haaaaa-aaa--aaaaaa-aaand.....let's here it for my baby, hang on..........
ptttthp to Spalds

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: You always were an asshole Gorman... Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI