Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread Page: <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:12:13 PM   
Goodfella

That had been coming for awhile, City just needed someone to pull the trigger in the final third and Milner had been mainly awful up until that stage but he got the power behind the shot that they had been lacking with some of their attempted "finishing" earlier on.

Still doesn't matter though in the greater scale of things.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9511
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:16:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Great Freekick.
Game on.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9512
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:17:24 PM   
Goodfella

Amazing free kick.
Amazing stupidity from Joe Hart.

Has come off Jones arm but nothing he could do about it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9513
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:36:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Great goal.
Told ya City would win

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9514
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:37:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Ooooh he's done too little of that this season. Cracking run and finish. Still you'd expect a defender to get in a challenge or put him off, too fast for De Gea?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9515
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:45:43 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Ooooh he's done too little of that this season. Cracking run and finish. Still you'd expect a defender to get in a challenge or put him off, too fast for De Gea?

Definitely too fast for Rio. He left him in a previous football match. What City definitely lacked this season with his injury problems and whatnot.

Anyone else see Phil Jones square up to Tevez there with his forehead pushed into his nose and when Tevez reacts, Jones tries to get the referee's attention? Pathetic actions of prima-donna footballers, grow up.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 8/4/2013 9:46:53 PM >

Post #: 9516
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:46:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I'd say that Ferguson will bite off PSG's hand if they put in a bid for Rooney, he's completely ineffective in this midfield role.

Writing must surely be on the wall. Doesn't start the game against Real and Utd need a goal with 10 minutes to go against City and he's hauled off.

Post #: 9517
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:50:48 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

Definitely too fast for Rio. He left him in a previous football match. What City definitely lacked this season with his injury problems and whatnot.

Rio's not getting any younger but I get the idea that Aguero is lightning quick, even with the ball. Deadly finisher too. Let alone City, I've missed him this season.

EDIT: Rafael lucky to stay on there, little attempt to go for the ball imo

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9518
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:51:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If City could have been arsed they would have won this league at a canter.
Big big changes are needed for United in the summer.

Edit:Its not conceivable that United might bottle the league again this year.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 8/4/2013 9:54:43 PM >

Post #: 9519
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:54:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

If City could have been arsed they would have won this league at a canter.
Big big changes are needed for United in the summer.

I'm afraid that Mancini is the weak link there. They have a better XI than Utd (as do Chelsea imo), but you've got to play to win for 30-odd games for the title, not a few.

Interesting summer for Utd, I think they really only need a couple of players. Can definitely see them taking Rooney off the wage bill.

Post #: 9520
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 9:55:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rio's not getting any younger but I get the idea that Aguero is lightning quick, even with the ball. Deadly finisher too. Let alone City, I've missed him this season.

No, which is why he shouldn't be playing in the next World Cup, if we want to strive to actually win it that is.

I thought Tevez played well tonight. I don't think the United fans agree with me.

Post #: 9521
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 10:05:39 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Fergie has had his fair share of plaudits this year concerning the matter of getting alot of these players to the position they're currently in,but sentimental aside,he did spend alot of money on these players.Its not as-if these players weren't brought in without his recommendations.

And Fergies subs today was,frankly,odd.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9522
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 10:16:11 PM   
directorscut

The collapse begins.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 9523
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 10:19:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The collapse begins.

Y'know it really really wouldn't surprise me.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 9524
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 10:24:19 PM   
Goodfella

Does Ferguson honestly believe what he's saying?

Performance level was one of the worst I've seen from United all season!

Post #: 9525
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/4/2013 10:28:06 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Fergie:
"I think we were unlucky to lose the game. But it is easy to see why these were the best two teams in the country - the evidence was there tonight."

Unlucky?
Best Two teams?
United were poor Fergie,come on now.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9526
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 2:42:21 AM   
directorscut

quote:

Fergie:
"I think we were unlucky to lose the game. But it is easy to see why these were the best two teams in the country - the evidence was there tonight."

Unlucky?
Best Two teams?

To be fair, he's an old man now.

Post #: 9527
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 4:16:50 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, which is why he shouldn't be playing in the next World Cup, if we want to strive to actually win it that is.

I thought Tevez played well tonight. I don't think the United fans agree with me.

Funny how a few seasons ago they begged strawberry nose to keep him.

Cracking game though, and City were by far the better team, pity its too little too late.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9528
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 8:20:59 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Since Ferguson has decided he needs to start with Wellbeck in the team playing a deeper role, instead of playing a proper midfielder or a strike partner for Van Persie, we have won just two games 1-0 (one of which was from an own goal), we've also drawn 2-2 (after leading 2-0) and lost 2-1, 1-0 and 2-1.

It's not working, something needs to be done about it. Only two wins in 6 games isn't good enough, and 3 losses in 6 games is unacceptable.

I still see us retainingthe number 1 spot through to the end, but this gap between ourselves and City will get whittled down at an alarming rate.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 9/4/2013 8:21:44 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 9529
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 9:17:15 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Fergie:

Unlucky?
Best Two teams?

To be fair, he's an old man now.

Well since the teams are first and second in the league I think it's a fair comment regardless of the performances last night.

How else do you decide who the best teams are?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 9530
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 9:45:58 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Since Ferguson has decided he needs to start with Wellbeck in the team playing a deeper role, instead of playing a proper midfielder or a strike partner for Van Persie, we have won just two games 1-0 (one of which was from an own goal), we've also drawn 2-2 (after leading 2-0) and lost 2-1, 1-0 and 2-1.

It's not working, something needs to be done about it. Only two wins in 6 games isn't good enough, and 3 losses in 6 games is unacceptable.

I still see us retaining the number 1 spot through to the end, but this gap between ourselves and City will get whittled down at an alarming rate.

I apologize in advance for any errors in this. I had work to do last night, so I was mostly listening to, rather than watching the match. But these are my observations.

1) Wellbeck was playing quite wide last night
2) I think Wellbeck is being utilized in this role as Ferguson has lost patience with the form / reliability of Valencia and Nani (whether Nani is a natural winger is probably a discussion for another day)
3) RvP has had a slump recently and has missed some reasonable chances against Real and Chelsea (in the FA QF) that he would have put away at the start of the season
4) imo Ferguson's tactics in the main against "big" clubs are too cautious. He looks to play on the break, but this relies on the team a) having form players out wide who can receive the ball and create opportunities, b) forwards who will convert opportunities ruthlessly. I prefer to see Utd trying to run the game, I don't think this is a natural way for them to play and invites the opposition to create chances
5) City were a much better footballing team last night and exploited a lack of cohesion between the midfield pairing of Carrick and Giggs (who were quite over run) and Jones and Ferdinand
6) Rafael has had a great season, but he's still young, and has played a lot of games. He's at an age where he is better going forwards than back and City were right to pressurize him last night
7) Rooney is a very shadow of his former self who imposes nothing on a game
8) Being able to take off Nasri (as most of us would want to do) and bring on Aguero is just dreamland for a manager.

In summary
- I think that Utd may need another wide player as well as Zaha for next season, enabling Wellbeck to play back in a supporting position for RvP.
- Some Utd players look like they have been overplayed this year (RvP, Rafael) and will be glad for the fact that they have those points in hand
- Vidic is just a huge loss, and the jury is still out as to whether Jones / Smalling can replace him
- It is time that Rooney looked for another challenge
- Ferguson has a lot of strengths, but is not a master tactician and certainly often seems to struggle with changing a formation to change a game. This seems an increasing trend with managers and I'd not be surprised to start to see Utd becoming "out thought" more often.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 9531
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 10:21:37 AM   
Larry of Arabia

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 9532
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 1:34:02 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Think the title is over even with this defeat, which i think will serve as a kick up the arse and Utd will see it through.

RVP looking burnt out and it's starting to show how much he carried the team at the start of the season. Big question marks on the likes of Valencia, Young and Welbeck but I think they will get another chance next season, it's curtains for Anderson and Nani though.

Jones looks the part but needs to stay fit, Smalling needs a kick up the arse unlike Rafael who has come on leaps and bounds and looks like he will only get better, likewise De Gea.

Evra, Vidic, Rio may have 1 more season at the top level. Giggs and Scoles should retire. Rooney looks like he's lost the desire, I don't think he will go but if the price is right who knows.

Zaha to come in and we will probably see more of Kagawa next season. I think another midfielder (Felaini ?) an established left back (Baines ?) Certainly another defender and possibly a striker but I just think Hernandez should play more.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 9/4/2013 1:39:55 PM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 9533
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 4:45:24 PM   
directorscut

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 9534
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 9/4/2013 6:13:11 PM   
Dirk Miggler

That's quite scathing I know, especially against a team who are 12 points clear and look certain to win the league. For me it just hasn't been a vintage PL this season, Man Utd have been dogged and showed great resilience at times but that's about it.

Biggest disappointment this year has got to be City though, with that squad they really should have run Utd a lot closer. Mancini will shoulder a lot of the blame, I just don't think he's up to it and he hasn't got the players performing anything like the level of last season.

Post #: 9535
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 7/5/2013 11:40:18 PM   
Rinc

The Daily Telegraph are running with Fergie retiring at the end of this season with an announcement expected before the next game. No reponse from the club yet...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 9536
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 7/5/2013 11:43:22 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

So the t'interwebs is rife with rumours that Sir Alex will be announcing his retirement this week.

Bookies favourite to replace him is Moyes, with Mourinho as a rather distant second favourite.

It'll be a sad day if he does retire, he's been the rock in our club that others just haven't had, the stability we needed and even his presence at the club makes a huge difference, never-mind his ability as a manager.

However I'd be further disappointed if the retirement is followed by the announcement of Moyes as his successor, for me he's got a good record with what he's had to play with at Everton which is admittedly very little (i.e. very little money, under the shadow of the other Merseysiders etc) but that's a massively different kettle of fish to managing Man Utd. It would be advisable for Moyes to go to Schalke or a similar team elsewhere to gain Champions League experience and prove he can do it at another level. In the meantime we have Mourinho for a few seasons to help keep the club stable during the transitional period before no doubt leaving after 3 years (as he always does). By that point Moyes may then be more of a viable option, and someone who can provide more long term success.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 7/5/2013 11:44:55 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 9537
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 7/5/2013 11:43:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

The Daily Telegraph are running with Fergie retiring at the end of this season with an announcement expected before the next game. No reponse from the club yet...

At which point Mourinho's desire to return to Chelsea mysteriously disappears into the ether

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 9538
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 7/5/2013 11:59:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Be a big leap if Moyes was given the job.
Personally If Fergie goes United should really be going for someone with top club experience,yes I know that is all rather cliched but if they want to sustain there success then I can only see that as the only viable option.

What could Moyes bring to United?
Personally I cant see a whole lot.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 9539
RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread - 8/5/2013 12:07:36 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

So the t'interwebs is rife with rumours that Sir Alex will be announcing his retirement this week.

Bookies favourite to replace him is Moyes, with Mourinho as a rather distant second favourite.

It'll be a sad day if he does retire, he's been the rock in our club that others just haven't had, the stability we needed and even his presence at the club makes a huge difference, never-mind his ability as a manager.

However I'd be further disappointed if the retirement is followed by the announcement of Moyes as his successor, for me he's got a good record with what he's had to play with at Everton which is admittedly very little (i.e. very little money, under the shadow of the other Merseysiders etc) but that's a massively different kettle of fish to managing Man Utd. It would be advisable for Moyes to go to Schalke or a similar team elsewhere to gain Champions League experience and prove he can do it at another level. In the meantime we have Mourinho for a few seasons to help keep the club stable during the transitional period before no doubt leaving after 3 years (as he always does). By that point Moyes may then be more of a viable option, and someone who can provide more long term success.

Yeah, Mourinho is exactly the manager to get if you want your team to have stability.

Post #: 9540
Page:   <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: England's Most Succesful Club - The Man Utd Thread Page: <<   < prev  316 317 [318] 319 320   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI