Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 - The Manchester United FC Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 - The Manchester United FC Thread Page: <<   < prev  302 303 [304] 305 306   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 7:45:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Went straight to Piers Morgan's Twitter page, gonna enjoy that twats meltdown.

Ha ha!

I know there's still a little work to done in terms of medical etc, but RVP - WELCOME TO UNITED SON!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 9091
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 7:49:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Is that spending over. Still need a couple of players to be as strong as City imo

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 9092
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:04:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Is that spending over. Still need a couple of players to be as strong as City imo

I agree, they may be stronger but we did chase them all the way for the title last season and would've won it were it not for the fact we conceded four (poor in my opinion) goals against Everton. And they won on goal difference which isn''t anything to shout home about. You'd think with all that money and the player's they'd finish at least 6 or 8 points in front of us, but they didn't. And judging by our excellent ability to regain the title over the yeears, my money is on us winning it.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 16/8/2012 8:26:08 AM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9093
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:11:02 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

It could go a couple of ways imo...

Signing RvP could be a throwback to the days of '99 when we were, admittedly, a little naive but just bulldozed teams from an attacking point of view. A rotating forward line of Rooney, RvP and possibly Cheech.

Or-and I have a suspicion this might be the start- I had said some time ago that I could see Rooneys longterm position being a Scholes type midfielder, early Scholes, breaking into the box late to get on the end of things and being the central hub in the middle of the park. Now it starts to make a wee bit more sense. Have Carrick sitting in front of the back four, go three in the middle with Rooney and Clev/Kagawa either side and a front three of RvP Valencia and Young/Nani

Exciting stuff, albeit a bit "late 90's Newcastle" for some

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 9094
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:12:39 PM   
kata

I think we're gonna see a move towards 433 and 4231.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 9095
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:20:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Does anyone know if Piers Morgan had a breakdown or not?

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 9096
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:23:44 PM   
kata

Rooney and Ferdinand have been giving him shit lol.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

https://twitter.com/WayneRooney/with_replies

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 9097
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 8:32:52 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Lol! Piers making it out that RVP chose United...because of the money??? Yeah right! If he wanted cash he could've chose City!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 9098
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:13:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

You think Man Utd are paying buttons?

It'll be a deal comparative to Rooneys 230k+ a week.

Arsenal couldn't have gotten close to it and City wouldn't have offered much more.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 15/8/2012 9:16:11 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 9099
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:23:21 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm intrigued by the reasons why RVP has/will join United.
I don't think its all financial (but it obviously plays a part) and with Arsenal securing some good deals this summer I thought this could be ,finally,there time to get some silverware in the cabinet.
Maybe Fergies admirable quote earlier in the season persuaded Robin to consider his options.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 9100
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:35:22 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I don't think its all financial (but it obviously plays a part) and with Arsenal securing some good deals this summer I thought this could be ,finally,there time to get some silverware in the cabinet.
Maybe Fergies admirable quote earlier in the season persuaded Robin to consider his options.

I think the money has a lot to do with it.
City would have offers the trophies but he would have had to sit on the bench regularly.
At Man Utd he earns broadly the same and he gets to play week in week out.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9101
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:45:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I think the money has a lot to do with it.
City would have offers the trophies but he would have had to sit on the bench regularly.
At Man Utd he earns broadly the same and he gets to play week in week out.

I think it would have been pointless for RVP to join City,it really was a toss-up of either United or Juve.
With Juve having there usual question marks hanging over the clubs head and the fact they didn't compete financially with regards to both fee and wages then I guess United was the only choice.
I'm still surprised another foreign club didn't enter the bidding, mainly Barcelona who i still think they miss something up top even with Villa,Messi and Sanchez.

The United striker force looks in great shape,which cannot be denied.
The youth of Welbeck and Hernandez will get there fair share of games while Rooney and RVP will be the mainstays.
United will most likely not rely on RVP in the same vein as Arsenal,with United other quality striking outlets giving the Dutchman good rest.

Berbatov is off though.But who will pay a player who's on 100k a week plus a signing fee of 5 million on a 32/33 year old?,no one at the moment it seems.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 15/8/2012 9:46:25 PM >

Post #: 9102
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:47:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Berbatov is off though.But who will pay a player who's on 100k a week plus a signing fee of 5 million on a 32/33 year old?,no one at the moment it seems.

Sounds like a job for the Hammers to me

Post #: 9103
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:49:55 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

All good points which is why I'm surprised they've got the 24 million.
It seemed that Man Utd had no real competition for his signature so the bidding war wasn't going to happen.
Going on Fergies comments Arsenal tried to get on going but seemingly without much luck.

Do you think RVP might find himself out on the left as he did for Hollands qualifiers?

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 15/8/2012 9:50:37 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 9104
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 15/8/2012 9:59:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Sounds like a job for the Hammers to me

They were interested earlier in the summer.
And with Carrol rejecting them this week then the Hammer-owners may feel this is one big name they cant miss out on.
Abit of a drop in quality for Berbatov though,but money talks.

quote:

All good points which is why I'm surprised they've got the 24 million.
It seemed that Man Utd had no real competition for his signature so the bidding war wasn't going to happen.
Going on Fergies comments Arsenal tried to get on going but seemingly without much luck.

Do you think RVP might find himself out on the left as he did for Hollands qualifiers?

I dont know,but it certainly leaves them with great attacking options.
Kagawa,Rooney and RVP can all play as a link man,and in Rooneys and RVP both could also plays as a lone striker.
Personally I can see a 4-4-2 formation with Kagawa in the middle with Carrick/Cleverly/Anderson with Nani,Young,Valencia on the wings with Rooney and RVP up top rotating and dropping off each-others role.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9105
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 7:23:34 PM   
Brooksy84

So Alex Ferguson reckons that Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjear were the 4 best strikers in Europe back in '99. I have to ask, does he genuinely believe the shit that he spouts or does he just say it to get a reaction?

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

Post #: 9106
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:00:40 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

So Alex Ferguson reckons that Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjear were the 4 best strikers in Europe back in '99. I have to ask, does he genuinely believe the shit that he spouts or does he just say it to get a reaction?

There's a very good argument to be had there, they scored a hell of a lot of goals between the four of them in all competitions, and they didn't just score a lot, but scored numerous goals against the big clubs at the time like Juventus, Inter Milan and Barcelona. They also won in all competitions (granted that's a team effort) but they still contributed to those successes.

I honestly can't find the stats to prove if on paper they were bettered by anyone else or not, however are you able to name a better strike force within Europe during that year?

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 16/8/2012 8:02:23 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 9107
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:38:10 PM   
Rinc

Ferguson wasn't saying they were the best strikeforce, he was saying they were the best strikers. Which is quite different and obviously bollocks as it's forgetting quite a lot of top quality strikers around Europe.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 9108
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:44:16 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Ferguson wasn't saying they were the best strikeforce, he was saying they were the best strikers. Which is quite different and obviously bollocks as it's forgetting quite a lot of top quality strikers around Europe.

I've not seen the quotes but surely by saying strikers he was referring to them collectively not individually. Though I'll admit that's a bit of a daft thing to say if he wasn't.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 9109
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:48:18 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I've not seen the quotes but surely by saying strikers he was referring to them collectively not individually. Though I'll admit that's a bit of a daft thing to say if he wasn't.

He did say the 4 best strikers which is hyperbolic to say the least. He should have said the best strike force because basically he would have been right as far as I'm concerned.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 9110
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:49:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Raul and Suker at Real, Ronaldo and Baggio at Inter, Rivaldo, Figo Barca, Sheva at Dynamo.

The best four indiviually, not for me.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 9111
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 8:56:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

But what gives us even more strength is the different combinations I have now. If you go back to the 1999 season, I had [Andy] Cole and [Dwight] Yorke and also Teddy [Sheringham] and Ole Gunnar [Solskjaer] I had the four best strikers in Europe.
===========================================================================

I think deep down he knows it too,but what is wrong with him giving respect to the players who brought him so much success?
I think people are going way over the top,mainly because Fergie said it.
I'm not his biggest fan when it comes to him talking to the media but I fail to see the overal disgust at which people are viewing his comments.
Free speech and all that.

Post #: 9112
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:03:41 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Any word on the medical?

I'm not worried, if Hargreaves can pass it, anyone can

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 9113
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:07:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Any word on the medical?

Manchester United will most likely announce the signing tomorrow Morning,going by reports.
Possibly with there other arrival Henrique.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 16/8/2012 9:08:29 PM >

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 9114
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:09:16 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Any word on the medical?

Latest rumours are he's failed his medical due to back problems. Apparantly carrying 10 men for the past few years has taken it's toll!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 9115
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:14:32 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Any word on the medical?

Latest rumours are he's failed his medical due to back problems. Apparantly carrying 10 men for the past few years has taken it's toll!

If I hear/read that one more time I swear something is going to die ie most likely one of my brain cells.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 16/8/2012 9:15:01 PM >

Post #: 9116
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:15:40 PM   
Skiba

quote:

Raul and Suker at Real, Ronaldo and Baggio at Inter, Rivaldo, Figo Barca, Sheva at Dynamo.

I think there were some great strikers in the top teams across Europe at the time but I don't think any had four of Utd's level.

Juventus: Del Piero, Inzaghi, Fonseca

Inter (never that strong in Europe then): Zamorano, Ronaldo, an ancient Baggio, Ventola

Barcelona: Luis Enrique, Kluivert (debatable whether or not to include Rivaldo and Figo)

Milan: Bierhoff, Weah

Real Madrid: Raul, Morientes, Suker, Mijatovic

Bayern: Jancker, Basler, Zickler

I'd say Utd's is the best of that bunch.

< Message edited by Skiba -- 16/8/2012 9:16:09 PM >

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 9117
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:20:16 PM   
Olaf

Sheva and Rebrov were pretty amazing for Dinamo Kyiv back then, as well. Sadly their respective spells in Britain ruined their reputation in the PL.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 9118
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:21:28 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

I think there were some great strikers in the top teams across Europe at the time but I don't think any had four of Utd's level.

Juventus: Del Piero, Inzaghi, Fonseca

Inter (never that strong in Europe then): Zamorano, Ronaldo, an ancient Baggio, Ventola

Barcelona: Luis Enrique, Kluivert (debatable whether or not to include Rivaldo and Figo)

Milan: Bierhoff, Weah

Real Madrid: Raul, Morientes, Suker, Mijatovic

Bayern: Jancker, Basler, Zickler

I'd say Utd's is the best of that bunch.

Agree with that.
Arsenals was pretty good.
Anelka
Berkamp
Kanu
Overmars
.........................Wreh

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 9119
RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 -... - 16/8/2012 9:28:26 PM   
Olaf

Don't forget Kaba Diawara. (Sadly we were out of Europe by the time Kanu signed. I blame Wembley.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 9120
Page:   <<   < prev  302 303 [304] 305 306   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Most Successful Team in English Football - 19 - The Manchester United FC Thread Page: <<   < prev  302 303 [304] 305 306   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI