Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Identify The Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Identify The Film Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Identify The Film - 3/9/2006 12:09:44 PM   
fearful symmetry

I've been trying to track this down this film off and on for ages… so any help would be very welcome.

I saw it in either 82 or 83 when I was abroad so it may not have had an UK release. It was a spy thriller type of thing, at least part of which was set in Soviet Russia. The main thing I remember is the end sequence where the hero (who I think was American) has to rescue his (Russian?) girl friend / wife / lover who had been imprisoned in a lunatic asylum type of place. One of the villains is killed by two of the asylum’s patients by being locked into a large industrial washing machine

The other detail I remember is at the end there's a series 'where are they now' updates of all the characters.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 61
RE: Identify The Film - 3/9/2006 12:40:48 PM   
ruth_evershed

hi,
i hope someone can help because this is driving us all crazy here. my dad saw a film a while ago and all he can remember is the it's set in (i think) a small american town/suburbia and everyone seems to have the perfect house, furniture, clothes, etc. but it turns out that they have all taken some kind of drug and they actually have cardboard boxes for furniture and are wearing rags. ring any bells?? i can't find out anywhere!
hope i posted this in the right place, it's the first time i've posted on here!

Post #: 62
RE: Identify The Film - 3/9/2006 1:03:27 PM   
Peter A. Quinn

fearful symmetry, I've a feeling the film you're asking about is called Enigma, made in 1982 and stars Martin Sheen and Sam Neill. I'm pretty positive that's it, but I'd double-check with IMDb just to be sure.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

(in reply to fearful symmetry)
Post #: 63
RE: Identify The Film - 3/9/2006 3:06:52 PM   
fearful symmetry

Cheers Peter... that looks a very likely canidate. Now I'll have to try and track down a copy...

Oh and Ruth that could be They Live

(in reply to Peter A. Quinn)
Post #: 64
RE: Identify The Film - 4/9/2006 1:11:15 PM   
naomi

Hi All,

I have question - saw this film donkey's years ago.  A war film involving a nuclear ship that travelled back in time and tehn back to the present but when it reappeared the crew were missing and it ended up that they ahd all melted into the ship. 

Mid - 80's flick I think.

Thank you

Omi

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

Post #: 65
RE: Identify The Film - 4/9/2006 1:17:40 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: naomi

Hi All,

I have question - saw this film donkey's years ago.  A war film involving a nuclear ship that travelled back in time and tehn back to the present but when it reappeared the crew were missing and it ended up that they ahd all melted into the ship. 

Mid - 80's flick I think.

Thank you

Omi

The Philadelphia Experiment, with Nancy Allen and Michael Pare.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 66
RE: Identify The Film - 4/9/2006 1:22:47 PM   
naomi

Thank you

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

Post #: 67
RE: Identify The Film - 4/9/2006 1:27:19 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: naomi

Thank you

Actually, I've just re-read your post and realise it may not be The Philadelphia Experiment, as they travel FORWARD in time in that, not back.

May be another, even cheaper B-movie with the same basic premise.  The other option was The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas, where they do indeed travel back, but no crew are fused to the ship in that one.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 68
RE: Identify The Film - 4/9/2006 1:37:52 PM   
Peter A. Quinn

I reckon you got it right the first time, g_b. Definitely sounds like The Philadelphia Experiment-the bodies fusing into the ship were pretty memorable.

Post #: 69
RE: Identify The Film - 5/9/2006 12:04:20 AM   
beefykitten

Ok - so the film I'm looking for has forced me to put a spare pillow up against the gap between headboard and bed ever since I was a child (now in my 40's!!!).
I'm almost certain it was in black and white - a woman is sleeping in bed when an arm reaches out from the gap between the bed and headboard and tries to grab her...that's all I remember, but I think it's time I found out the title as my wife laughs at me everytime we go to bed!!!!!

Post #: 70
RE: Identify The Film - 5/9/2006 2:01:42 PM   
naomi

Yeah I checked out the final countdown in my local and def not it but will philly a try .

THanks again

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

Post #: 71
RE: Identify The Film - 6/9/2006 7:47:14 PM   
MC Jacket

this has been bugging me for months...
Film from about 6 years ago, romcom-ish: Twenty-something woman spends all her sleeping hours in an alternative life, dreaming an ongoing romantic tale which echoes a similar romantic tale in her daytime life. the dreams appear so vivid though, that neither she nor we know which is the waking life and which is the dream. What bugs me more than anything is the fact that i cant remember which way it turned out, or even if we ever find out.
Any info would be much appreciated, ive googled, searched imdb and every other film site i can think of but no joy.

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 72
RE: Identify The Film - 7/9/2006 1:42:49 AM   
wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: MC Jacket

Film from about 6 years ago, romcom-ish: Twenty-something woman spends all her sleeping hours in an alternative life, dreaming an ongoing romantic tale which echoes a similar romantic tale in her daytime life. the dreams appear so vivid though, that neither she nor we know which is the waking life and which is the dream.

That has shades of Mullholland Drive about it, but Id hesitate to say romcom-ish. More like extended nightmare sequence...

A FEW YEARS FROM NOW

(in reply to MC Jacket)
Post #: 73
RE: Identify The Film - 7/9/2006 7:19:06 AM   
MC Jacket

Thanks Wood, but its not Mulholland Drive (although what a fine film that is!!)
This is a  lot more straightforward and a lot more mainstream and much more of a romcom/weepie.

(in reply to wood)
Post #: 74
RE: Identify The Film - 7/9/2006 8:28:32 PM   
Darth Gains

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

HI i remember seeing this trailer it was some sort of lizard/monster/beast/alien thing and the words PREY flashed on the screen every few seconds. It has stuck in my memory since i saw it which was some time ago. If anyone can name it i'd be very thankful.

Yes remember this film very clearly, STARSHIP TROOPERS, the word prey refers to humans

Its the Dwarfs that go swimming with little hairy women

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 75
RE: Identify The Film - 7/9/2006 9:24:30 PM   
fatpenguinboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

That would be Zujia Paidang, AKA Mad Mission, better AKA Aces Go Places.  No Jackie Chan, but it does feature comedy baldy Karl Maka (who was also in the My Lucky Stars films).

thanks for the info on this film i looked it up and i'm sure i recognised the old vhs cover, now i just need to find a copy   :)

Post #: 76
RE: Identify The Film - 8/9/2006 8:28:05 AM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: fatpenguinboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

That would be Zujia Paidang, AKA Mad Mission, better AKA Aces Go Places.  No Jackie Chan, but it does feature comedy baldy Karl Maka (who was also in the My Lucky Stars films).

thanks for the info on this film i looked it up and i'm sure i recognised the old vhs cover, now i just need to find a copy   :)

There is a R1 version that's dead easy to get hold of (there's also a complete box set available, with all of the Aces/Mad Mission films included).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to fatpenguinboy)
Post #: 77
RE: Identify The Film - 20/9/2006 4:32:14 PM   
skeff

not exactly a film to be idenitified, but can anyone confirm the following :

Full Metal Jacket:

Drill Seargent (ermey) is just introducing himself to the recruits, he walks towards the camera, going past Pile, Cowboy, Joker and Snow Ball. 

Now has Ermey turns the post to walk away from the camera down the other rank, has anyone noticed Private Pile again behind him at the end of the first rank.

Can someone else confirm this please or is it just my eyes playing tricks ?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 78
RE: Identify The Film - 2/10/2006 7:27:16 PM   
fuzbucket mutant

could people have a quick look at this thread for me please?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=902065

(in reply to skeff)
Post #: 79
RE: Identify The Film - 3/10/2006 2:01:47 PM   
stuartbannerman

Directorscut: the bus film i think you are recalling is this  Bus 174
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340468/

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 80
RE: Identify The Film - 3/10/2006 2:13:41 PM   
oblio

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzbucket mutant

could people have a quick look at this thread for me please?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=902065

SOUTHERN COMFORT, perhaps?

(in reply to fuzbucket mutant)
Post #: 81
RE: Identify The Film - 4/10/2006 12:17:57 PM   
fuzbucket mutant

I dont think it is that, thanks for trying though :)

anyone else have any idea?

(in reply to oblio)
Post #: 82
RE: Identify The Film - 4/10/2006 1:00:36 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

Directorscut: the bus film i think you are recalling is this  Bus 174
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340468/

Nope - it was Yureka (check my reply a few posts further down from DC's request).

fuzbucket - there was, I think, a film of the book/short story that the basic idea for Predator was based on, which featured people being hunted by others (no aliens in it though, it was all earth based and not sci-fi).  I haven't seen it, but remember reading about it.  Only problem is I can't remember what it was called or who was in it, only that it was made in the 60s/70s.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 4/10/2006 1:03:40 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 83
RE: Identify The Film - 4/10/2006 3:13:36 PM   
paulc2006

Hi,

Sorry this is going to be a little vague but its a horror film that I watched in the early 80's but it could have been released in the late 70's. Basically the majority if not all of the film is based on a flight that is haunted - its starts with dodgy goings on in the cargo hold and the steal door to the cargo hold gets indented and I distinctly remember two dogs that are in a cage in the cargo hold are frozen after the flight attendants go back in after the banging. I have no idea what else happens but just remember the haunted cargo hold bit.

Any ideas??

Cheers
Paul

Post #: 84
RE: Identify The Film - 5/10/2006 12:46:56 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

Welcome, paulc2006! Good choice for a film, too. It's a telemovie from 1973 called The Horror At 37 000 Feet, and starred William "The Shat" Shatner, Buddy Ebsen, and various others who's careers were going nowhere at the time. The plot concerns a couple of archaeologists who are bringing back to the States via jet pieces of a ruined English abbey that perhaps dates back to druidic times. The evil spirits inhabiting the structure begin to manifest themselves in the cargo hold of the plane by freezing everything they touch, and soon a section of the plane is cordoned off as the passengers realise what's going on. Shatner plays a failed, alcoholic priest who makes a final test of his faith to battle the demons. As far as telemovies go, it's a real beaut - an ambitious, Lovecraftian tale set aboard the confines of a jumbo jet. Genuinely scary, it contains many memorable scenes, like where the passengers know they have to make a sacrifice to the demons to appease them, and make a child's doll more human by adding their own hair and fingernails. When they place the doll on the heaving, foggy floor of the aisle above the cargo hold, the doll emits this horrid black sludge from it's eyes and mouth, and the hoarse whispering tones of the demons are truly frightening.  I hope it gets a DVD release - it's not great art, but succeeds admirably as an above average TV horror film. It's up there with The Night Stalker. Did I see too many horror films on TV when I was a kid? You bet. Hope this helps, paul.

< Message edited by Peter A. Quinn -- 5/10/2006 12:55:27 AM >

(in reply to paulc2006)
Post #: 85
RE: Identify The Film - 5/10/2006 8:38:02 AM   
paulc2006

Cheers Peter, you're a star! Need to get this film today just so I can reminisce - did seem very scary at the time but didn't know whether that was down to me being young or it being genuinly scary.

Actually I do have one final one although this should be a lot easier. Its a film probably again from the 70's where a middle aged guy can see the near future (pretty sure he's famous) and this was in a similar scary vein but not quite horror and I seem to recall a child drowning at the beginning of the film in a lake near the house. Think it was a girl. Not sure if it was his child though or how it relates to the main story. Think it ended in either a church or a conference centre and may have had something political in it - assassination of a president ??

Cheers
Paul

Post #: 86
RE: Identify The Film - 5/10/2006 8:52:54 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

Ah, yes - the joys of a misspent youth! Sounds like a cross between Don't Look Now and The Dead Zone - but they seem obvious choices. Are you sure you're not getting two films mixed into one, paul? All I can suggest is looking them up on IMDb, either by title or use the "keywords" feature to find possible matches. Good luck! By the way, if you enjoyed The Horror At 37 000 Feet, you might remember Voyage Into Terror, a simliar storyline about a pleasure cruise with a boatload of B-stars. The boat is carrying the sarcophagus of a cursed Egyptian king or queen, and the usual mayhem ensues. Not as well-made, or interesting as Horror, but I enjoyed it when I was a nipper...

(in reply to paulc2006)
Post #: 87
RE: Identify The Film - 15/10/2006 7:04:47 PM   
Glorfindel

Yeah, that definitely sounds like Don't Look Now. The Medusa Touch also had a premonition theme, but by the sound of it, I'd be almost certain that it's DLN!

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

Post #: 88
RE: Identify The Film - 16/10/2006 3:19:45 PM   
Doctor Manhattan

Okay there was snow. And maybe a childrens school bus crashing, and the film followed the aftermath of it. Something along those lines. I dont know whether it was good or anything, but ive been racking my little brain for weeks now. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Doctor Manhattan -- 16/10/2006 3:21:43 PM >

Bob: "Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?"
Charlotte: "I'm in."

(in reply to Glorfindel)
Post #: 89
RE: Identify The Film - 17/10/2006 12:04:17 AM   
mfj fratelli

It might be The Sweet Hereafter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120255/

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Doctor Manhattan)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Identify The Film Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI