Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Spaced. Enlighten Me.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Spaced. Enlighten Me. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 9:50:01 PM   
mfj fratelli

I've heard great things about this show. Is it that good? I'm an American and haven't seen this show yet. I heard BBC America was going to air it, but I don't have that channel. I loved Shaun of the Dead and heard that its creators/stars are also the team behind Spaced. From what I have gathered, its a show that relies heavily on pop culture references. I enjoy these types of shows. Family Guy is like that and it is one of my favorite programs. Should I give in and get the BBC America channel? Or should I wait until it comes on one of the publically funded television stations? This is where I get most British programs from.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!
Post #: 1
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 10:21:43 PM   
Zaphod121

watch it now damn it! its great

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 2
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 10:24:09 PM   
Mikey C

Order the region 2 DVDs; they're fairly cheap. It's overrated in geek circles but it's still pretty good and entertaining.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

Post #: 3
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 10:48:46 PM   
Timon

It's great. Solid British humour but enough pop culture/film/tv references for you to love it and embrace as your own.

Pegg, Stevenson and Frost are great together and the DVD set has a great documentary on it featuring everyone vaguely connected with the show.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 4
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 11:22:45 PM   
Caster

Yeah this is one show I keep meaning to revisit.  Imagine Kevin Smith was British and took to sitcoms rather than movies and you'll have a pretty good idea what to expect.  The slo-mo gunfight has to be one of the funniest sitcom moments ever.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 11:22:46 PM   
James2183

Certainly the career highlight for Pegg and Wright. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 17/6/2006 11:31:47 PM   
Marky_Mark

I've only JUST discovered Spaced - last week I rented both series from Lovefilm and watched all the episodes in a single sitting!!! Now anxiously awaiting my boxset order from Amazon so I can enjoy the extras in my own time.

The first series is probably the best (the rave episode is my favourite)...but the second is still brilliant (I was crying with laughter watching after the demonstration of what happens when you put a bunch of guys in a room together- you'll see)!!

I'd recommend it to anyone!! If you've seen and enjoyed Shaun of The Dead, Black Books and/or Green Wing...it'll be your cup of tea.

Amazon.co.uk are currently charging £15.00 for the 'definitive collector's edition' of both series (CLICKY), but you should be able to pick up each series on DVD for a fiver each if you're not too bothered about extras.

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 18/6/2006 12:08:53 AM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 7
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 10:58:50 AM   
OddCinema

Spaced? Television never had it so good; an almighty creation that should be praised every day. In 50 years, when they're onto Big Brother 57, wheeling out Cowell for another braincell-less talent show and crap TV has generally covered the entire Earth, some researcher will dig this up and all will bow down in awe. Of course, that's my unbias opinion...

Get the collector's edition rather than the separate series; it's very much worth it.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 8
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 2:35:50 PM   
libertine

Love, love love.

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 9
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 3:55:14 PM   
Jackie

I just saw this thread and I'm now going to re-watch my Spaced DVDs.

That's how good it is.

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 10
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 4:04:56 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

Order the region 2 DVDs; they're fairly cheap. It's overrated in geek circles but it's still pretty good and entertaining.

I agree with this. Entertaining, but I didn't laugh out loud too often, and wasn't too keen on the characters outside the main two.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 11
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 4:26:14 PM   
target

i love it, no other sitcoms have lines like "Im drawing a picture of wolverine slashing prices with his adimantum claws"

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 12
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 4:30:07 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Entertaining, but I didn't laugh out loud too often, and wasn't too keen on the characters outside the main two.

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 13
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 4:36:28 PM   
target

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats one of my fav episods from series two. I love the sixth sence joke as well "theres bin an accident,some one got hurt"

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 14
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 4:41:42 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

And having Olivia Williams as the cyclist is absolute genius

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to target)
Post #: 15
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 6:18:16 PM   
Valanya

It's an awesome show. One word of warning though: it does have a tendency to suck you in. You start off thinking "I'll just watch one episode" and then "Well, just 2 then" and then's it's "Alright, I've watched these 2...just one more" and before you know it you've watched a whole series in one sitting. Not that I've ever done that, of course

It is bloody brilliant though. Worth every penny

What came first, the music or the misery?

Post #: 16
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 6:28:04 PM   
Jackie

God Val, you totally hit it on the head there. I actually gave up trying to watch earlier though, because my laptop's being all weird and wouldn't play it properly.

I'll wait for the downstairs DVD player to be free and then... oh yeah baby... then it's Spaced time!

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 17
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 6:50:38 PM   
Marky_Mark

Endlessly quoteable too....

Bilbo's (Bill Bailey's) story...

Bilbo: I used to know this guy, Minty. He had a dog who he'd train to attack rich people. He was into the whole class-war thing. He called the dog Gramsci after an Italian Marxist. Rumor has it, it could smell wealth from up to 20 feet. The thing is, it all backfired. Minty won 100 grand on a scratchcard and Gramsci bit his knees off.
Tim: That's terrible.
Bilbo: Not really. He used the money to buy new knees.

I had to rewind the next 5 minutes because I was laughing so hard!!

and my personal favourite..

Mike: "AH..YAH..I HADN'T TAWT-A DAT!!"

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

Post #: 18
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 7:17:46 PM   
DesolationRow

Spaced is God's own show. It's that good.
The best scene ever written is where Daisy and Tim have a slo-mo gunfight with the teens. You'd think it would get boring, but when they add grenades, knives, shotguns... My brother and I have taken to having our own fights at completely random moments.
But the best episode is where Tim and Mike are doing paintball, and Tim shoots the guy who stole his girlfriend in the balls. With TWO paintball guns. At close range. Owww.... 

"If you look up 'idiot' in the dictionary, you know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No, the definition of an idiot, which is what you are!"

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 19
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 7:48:45 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

I've heard great things about this show. Is it that good? I'm an American and haven't seen this show yet. I heard BBC America was going to air it, but I don't have that channel. I loved Shaun of the Dead and heard that its creators/stars are also the team behind Spaced. From what I have gathered, its a show that relies heavily on pop culture references. I enjoy these types of shows. Family Guy is like that and it is one of my favorite programs. Should I give in and get the BBC America channel? Or should I wait until it comes on one of the publically funded television stations? This is where I get most British programs from.

Just import the Region 2 DVDs.  Half the joy of the show is spotting the incredibly obscure references as well as loving the explicit ones.

Post #: 20
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 7:49:36 PM   
BobaJango

Television + brains + fucking originality (a rare thing) = Spaced!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to DesolationRow)
Post #: 21
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 8:06:30 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marky_Mark

Endlessly quoteable too....

Bilbo's (Bill Bailey's) story...

Bilbo: I used to know this guy, Minty. He had a dog who he'd train to attack rich people. He was into the whole class-war thing. He called the dog Gramsci after an Italian Marxist. Rumor has it, it could smell wealth from up to 20 feet. The thing is, it all backfired. Minty won 100 grand on a scratchcard and Gramsci bit his knees off.
Tim: That's terrible.
Bilbo: Not really. He used the money to buy new knees.

I had to rewind the next 5 minutes because I was laughing so hard!!

and my personal favourite..

Dexter: "AH..YAH..I HADN'T TAWT-A DAT!!"

Daisy: you've got a best friend called Mike, who's a weapons expert...

cut to mike fireing a rubber band at something...a loud screetchy 'Meow!!'

Mike: YES!!

------------------------------------------------------

Tim: what, green card?
Daisy: Yeah! whats it called?
Tim: i dunno..

Tyers: last night? last night was an A1 tip top clubbing jam fur..it was a sandwitch of fun on ecstacy bread wrapped up in a big bag like disco fudge! it doesn't get much better than that! i just wish some times i could control these FUCKIN MOODSWINGS!

(during a game of scrabble)
Tim: you can't have Pantene ProV!
Daisy: its the ingrediant in the shampoo that makes the hair silky and smooth!

Tim: well, no hard feelings, eh?
Dwayne: You shot me in the bollocks, Tim.
Tim: Yeah well, like I said - no hard feelings

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Mike: Hello, Timmy!
Tim: where are you?
Mike: Uh, sheffield.
Tim: what you doing there?
Mike: fell asleep on the tube.
Tim: the tube doesn't go to sheffield, Mike!
Mike: yeah, i must've changed at Kings Cross!

----------------------------------------------------

Bilbo: i punched a man in the face once for saying Hawk The Slayer was rubbish...
Tim: Good for you..
Bilbo: yeah, thanks - but what i should've said is 'dad, your right - but lets give Krull a try, and we'll discuss it later!'

watch spaced. its good

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 22
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 8:09:22 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

Tyers: last night? last night was an A1 tip top clubbing jam fur..it was a sandwitch of fun on ecstacy bread wrapped up in a big bag like disco fudge! it doesn't get much better than that! i just wish some times i could control these FUCKIN MOODSWINGS!

I love watching the outtakes and seeing that guy getting it wrong over and over again (unsurprisingly). I think they might have been taking the piss, giving him that line!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 23
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 9:05:19 PM   
maffew

haha, funnily, i've seen it that many times i can quite happily reel it off without thinking...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 24
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 9:33:11 PM   
TobiasFunke

Like Arrested Development, Spaced is one of those shows in which every character gets good jokes, from main characters to one-off supporting roles. Its homage to pop culture makes it seem like a live-action version of The Simpsons at times. The continuity is also excellent. The seperate DVD releases for each series are very good quality, with loads of extras and the great 'homage 'o' meter' for series two. All in all, its an excellent show! 

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 25
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 9:37:30 PM   
BobaJango

Trivia that only maffew will know; the girl on the right who turns up to Tim and Diasy's home-warming party, but then goes to the party upstairs, is Simon Pegg's sister!

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 26
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 18/6/2006 10:19:35 PM   
maffew

yep, and the woman that Tim picks up during his and bilbos 'celebration' sequence is Peggs mum!

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 27
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 19/6/2006 1:14:47 PM   
Base

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Best show...EVER! 

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 28
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 19/6/2006 1:17:19 PM   
Base

Spaced Paintball

http://www.paramountcomedy.co.uk/playtime/paintball/play_paintball.aspx

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 29
RE: Spaced. Enlighten Me. - 19/6/2006 2:29:45 PM   
Valanya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie

God Val, you totally hit it on the head there. I actually gave up trying to watch earlier though, because my laptop's being all weird and wouldn't play it properly.

I'll wait for the downstairs DVD player to be free and then... oh yeah baby... then it's Spaced time!

Jackie.

The scary part comes when you've actually watched a whole series in one sitting. You end up just sitting there smiling inanely at the wall, feeling pretty...spaced

quote:

Trivia that only maffew will know; the girl on the right who turns up to Tim and Diasy's home-warming party, but then goes to the party upstairs, is Simon Pegg's sister!

I knew that

quote:

yep, and the woman that Tim picks up during his and bilbos 'celebration' sequence is Peggs mum!

And that! Am I officially a Spaced-geek now?

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Spaced. Enlighten Me. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI