Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ultraviolet

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ultraviolet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ultraviolet - 16/6/2006 7:51:08 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not so bad - 16/6/2006 7:51:18 PM   
Caster

I liked it. Okay it's pure style over substance and the plot is indecipherable (the antidote for the cure for the whatnow?) but Jovovich gets to act for a change whilst kicking ass, and it looks amazing. A couple of the fights are borderline classic (the rooftop where the camera floats through sunglasses as bullets let fly). Sadly the CGI is cheap and ruins some great ideas (anti-gravity) and it's so glossy you start to think it's ALL a nintendo game. But if you liked Equilibrium's style you'll like this.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Not so bad - 16/6/2006 9:57:57 PM   
Godzilla

I got the extended cut on DVD in the post today and found it a little empty but still worth a watch. It is very much a glossy movie without anything to it, but it is silly fun. The fights are enjoyable but have no blood at all, if they had added some splatter to the sword and gun fights it would have felt more real. Overall the CGI is passable and the movie is fast paced enough to stop the viewer from thinking how mad it all is.

Silly but fun 2/5

1 star for Milla, 1 star for her weapons

Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig,
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does,
Lookout,
He is the Spider-Pig!

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 3
RE: Not so bad - 16/6/2006 10:11:36 PM   
BobaJango

I will not judge until i have seen (which i will never do because it looks crap).

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 4
RE: Not so bad - 18/6/2006 11:37:54 PM   
Caster

[father ted] Ah go on.  Go on, go on, go on, go on... [/father ted]

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 5
THIS SOUNDS A BIT LIKE DEJA VU - 19/6/2006 2:44:05 PM   
DNASH

WASNT THERE ANOTHER FILM WHERE CAMERON BRIGHT WAS A WEAPON, HELD IN A SECRET FACILITY, AND WASNT THERE SUPERHEROS THAT BROKE HIM OUT, OH NO THAT WAS XMEN LAST STAND... PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY HOLLYWOOD IS CONSTRANTLY RE-HASHING STORY LINES? IS IT ANYWONDER WHY BOX OFFICES ACROSS THE BOARD ARE DOWN?

Post #: 6
RE: THIS SOUNDS A BIT LIKE DEJA VU - 19/6/2006 4:59:08 PM   
Caster

Yeah I noticed that too.  But it's more to do with it being the same actor in both films, otherwise you probably wouldn't notice.

(in reply to DNASH)
Post #: 7
Oh dear - 19/6/2006 10:29:38 PM   
cookio1982

This film is terrible, it is that bad that the screening i went to, the closing credits was greeted to sarcastic applause. Every action sequence gave me motion sickness and the dialouge was straight out of a computer game which is in fact what the whole film feels like, and looks like with the apalling cg backgrounds. BAN THIS MAN FROM MAKING ANYMORE FILMS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 8
Not bad at all - 20/6/2006 8:38:34 AM   
biggzy1991

Everyone hashing this movie is comparing it to other big budget blockbusters like Kill bill, underworld etc. This movie had little money and did alot with it. The CG and set pieces are incredible and the fact that the empire review guy things they are crap is because he is synical. The story line is crap yes. i totally agree, but if we wanted a good story line we would read a book. THis movie is not about what they are saying ofcourse not. Its an ACTION MOVIE! and it does a great job, the fight choreography is interesting the camera work is pretty good in some places. The costumes are bright and engaging. Its a good fun movie to watch.

Post #: 9
Worst...Movie...Ever - 20/6/2006 11:44:47 AM   
optimus_prime6012

The Empire review is spot on for this movie. How Wimmer has devolved from Equilibrium to this is inexplicable. SPOILER ALERT (If the movie hasn't already managed that itself) - The Kid dies, only to become infected, and then wakes up uttering the line "I thought I was dead". Simply stunning. So while you were dead, and your brain was inactive, you thought about the status of your life? Someone smack Kurt Wimmer in the mouth!

Post #: 10
if you don't... - 20/6/2006 1:44:46 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

....get to see her bot in this one, like what you did in 'Resident Evil' then I ain't going to watch it.

Post #: 11
I 100% agree with biggzy1991 - 20/6/2006 4:26:51 PM   
LeonX42

For me this is a great ACTION movie. No not DRAMA, ACTION movie. I would rather watch a fit chick kick arse than a soppy movie any day. Oh and this film is uninspired!? WTF!

Post #: 12
RE: I 100% agree with biggzy1991 - 20/6/2006 6:33:06 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

NOT seen it yet but I feel the need to defend Kurt Wimmer.

This is not his movie. Initial screenings ran for over 2 hours, Sony really didn't like the cut, and removed him from the project quite early on into post production. This is Sony's version of the film. You'll notice Kurt isn't involved in any of the marketing, only features in achieve material on the DVD and doesn't provide a commentary.

Sony.Fucked.Him.

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 20/6/2006 6:34:03 PM >

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to LeonX42)
Post #: 13
RE: I 100% agree with biggzy1991 - 20/6/2006 8:09:16 PM   
LeonX42

I don't know about that! I mean he did write the script (Which was why the movie was bad). I was disappointed to hear that 30 minutes was removed from the movie. But maybe the material in the 30 mintues was full of dire dialogue, so its all good because I like it for the action! 

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 14
RE: I 100% agree with biggzy1991 - 20/6/2006 9:32:39 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Apprently, the two hour plus version made sense. It was still camp, but it made sense. Sony didn't want it to make sense, so they took out the story, assuming people wouldn't miss it. I'm still going to go see this at the weekend, if only for the action sequences. I just hope that someday we get a difinitive version. The US Unrated DVD restores 7 minutes of footage... but where's the rest?

(in reply to LeonX42)
Post #: 15
RE: I 100% agree with biggzy1991 - 22/6/2006 4:51:01 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Gonna' see this tommorow, hope it's passable...

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 16
RE: Not bad at all - 23/6/2006 11:32:43 PM   
kevmalone

No more please. It wasn't even slightly entertaining.
I would have fallen asleep if it wasn't for the terrible over-use of suspenseful music.
What was it about again? I can't remember. Or did I ever figure it out? AAARRRGGGHHH!!! It's dulled my brain.

Zero stars.

< Message edited by kevmalone -- 23/6/2006 11:35:24 PM >

(in reply to biggzy1991)
Post #: 17
Can movies get any dumber? - 24/6/2006 5:22:00 PM   
Baldrick

Well, that was 87 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The only reason I didn't walk out was that I had to kill an hour before a dental appointment (which actually proved less painful). The only reason I'm reviewing it here is to try to get that 2-star reader average down to 1-star. If I can help save a few more poor unsuspecting movie goers from wasting £5 on this garbage then at least some good will have come of my experience.

Post #: 18
Can movies get any dumber? - 24/6/2006 5:22:02 PM   
Baldrick

Well, that was 87 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The only reason I didn't walk out was that I had to kill an hour before a dental appointment (which actually proved less painful). The only reason I'm reviewing it here is to try to get that 2-star reader average down to 1-star. If I can help save a few more poor unsuspecting movie goers from wasting £5 on this garbage then at least some good will have come of my experience.

Post #: 19
Missing The Point - 25/6/2006 3:13:53 AM   
Jash

Okay, so the script was shonky, and the CG somewhat low-grade, but Ultraviolet was certainly an original art form in terms of visual texture.

Post #: 20
Missing The Point - 25/6/2006 3:14:00 AM   
Jash

Okay, so the script was shonky, and the CG somewhat low-grade, but Ultraviolet was certainly an original art form in terms of visual texture.

Post #: 21
ARRGGHH - 26/6/2006 9:35:55 AM   
Mnemonic

DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE!! It will SERIOUSLY damage your will to live! Why oh why didn't I LISTEN to you Empire?

I went to see this with my girlfriend, thinking it would be amusing in a "ohmygawsh that's bad" kind of way... but the truth was so far beyond funny that after 5 minutes I was squirming uncomfortably in my seat, wishing I was ANYWHERE away from this tragedy of a film. I turned to my girlfriend, who had a of vacant, disbelieving "Is this really this bad?" look on her face - neither one of us could believe just how horribly horribly terrible this film is.

The dialogue is clumsy, poorly worded and painfully unconvicing. The CGI is pathetic - so awfully bad that it looks like they applied a filter to the REST of the film to try and make the characters fit in with the too-smooth, characterless nature of the "special" effects. In fact, characterless is the word that truly does sum up this film. From the outset right until the bitter, bitter finish there was not one distinguishing moment that made this film even remotely worthwhile.

I cannot believe I actually paid good money to watch this steaming pile of shit in a bag. Ultraviolet? More like ultraviolated - that's how you will feel if you pay for this!

< Message edited by Mnemonic -- 26/6/2006 10:15:12 AM >

Post #: 22
Reap What You Sow, People! - 26/6/2006 4:39:13 PM   
god25

I don't care whether Wimmer was shafted, locked out of the edit suite, cryogenically lobotimised or whatever, there can be no justification for the existence of such meaningless pieces of pseudo-meaningful CG crap that look so bad it will make your eyes bleed!

As an action subgenre, this kind of nonsense should have ended with The Matrix. Will they never learn?!

Post #: 23
A Mixed Mask of Kill Bill, Resident Evil & A Waste ... - 28/6/2006 11:18:35 AM   
indysid

There are many films that can enhance a career, then other films that can ruin careers especially for that of female actor’s, for example Monster's Ball & Catwoman for Halle Berry. Then we have Monster & Aeon Flux for Charlie Theron. Now we have Resident Evil & Ultraviolet for Milla Jonovich.

Despite being under 90 minutes, every moment of the film feels pushed and predictable.
All main dialogue is quickly used up and then it is straight into action with no time to think and draw up your own conclusions. The action scenes seem to completely draw the viewer’s attention from any story lines and any conscious thought in my opinion.
This would be bad enough if the action were impressive, but even the elaborate martial arts is shot awkwardly and continuously repetitive.

I cannot begin to fathom how bored I was watching this film. The plot seems simple enough for anyone to understand, yet there seems to the utmost absolutely and barely any plot to grasp and make a story. The plot is more one drafted and less meaningful than the film.

However, Milla Jonovich pulls off a decent performance and provides some dialogue, even if it is short, obscure and irrelevant. The CGI is cheap, despite the budget, overly used and falls under the below expectation of a film with this much CG.

There no need to watch this film, only if you wish to see, in my opinion, brilliantly choreographed scenes with adequate action and a very attractive actress. However, any movie buff will feel this film feels like an expensive and futuristic rip-off/knock-off. As much of the film feels like a mish mash of Kill Bill, and Resident Evil.

Verdict – Uneventful, Disappointingly Bad and Waste of Time

Post #: 24
RE: A Mixed Mask of Kill Bill, Resident Evil & A Waste ... - 28/6/2006 4:18:46 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Ultraviolet - 3/5

I liked it. Very cool looking with plenty of quality action sequences. Some of the CGI was a little weak but the first half of the film pretty much rocked my brain. Then it slowed down and the plot, or what was left of it after Sony's recut, bogged the whole thing down. There was quite a lot of "emotion" in there but it felt out of place since all the real character stuff had been removed. I really, REALLY hope a directors cut comes out eventually. Plenty of cool ideas in the film, plenty of unique style... just not enough story to hold it all together.

(in reply to indysid)
Post #: 25
Quite cool - 28/6/2006 7:37:45 PM   
~Firefly~

The script was bad, the plot was ok, it was an original idea. I think the fight scenes are cool, the way she handles the sword is amazing, but it was boring to listen to.

Post #: 26
The world has got a little stupider - 29/6/2006 12:23:42 AM   
montimer

Truly words cannot describe how appaulingly bad this film was.
Ignoring the terrible story, plot and acting (because hey it's an action movie and that doesn't matter) It was still terrible.
The effects were awful. The gadegets and gimmicks were daft. The fight scenes were dire, made all the worse by random cut aways, and silly camera angles. This was just bad.
I never thought I'd see a film worse than Super Mario Brothers The Movie. I was wrong.

Kurt Weimer owes me £3.50 and ninety minutes of my life back!

Post #: 27
RE: The world has got a little stupider - 29/6/2006 11:11:36 AM   
zombiemaster

All the reviews for this movie have just put me off this film. I was considering going to see it but i just cant be bothered now

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to montimer)
Post #: 28
RE: The world has got a little stupider - 29/6/2006 9:38:06 PM   
Caster

I'm glad to see at least some people haven't jumped on the bandwagon.  I've even seen some good reviews on DVD Talk and other places basically agreeing it's silly but stylish and fun.  I still think the rooftop fight is amazing and has stuff we've never seen before (the camera floating through the reflections in sunglasses)

One thing I noticed is it makes a lot more sense second time around.  Things happen so fast and there's so much exposition that you get a little lost first time around (I thought Violet used a gun on the roof but she actually just uses the enemies weapons against them).

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 29
RE: The world has got a little stupider - 2/7/2006 2:07:01 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Yeah, she's just dodging all the bullets. Or though it's not explained what a Blood Chinoi, or whatever, is. Not human, not vampire... so what are they?

To be honest, I'm suprised more people don't take it for what it is. The film is visually engaging, I haven't seen anything quite like it before. That was enough for me to ignore most of the bad stuff. It feels experimental and its ideas are interesting enough that I hope future filmmakers rip this one off to better effect. And seeing those comic book panels during the title sequence... well that kinda made me want to see Ultraviolet turned into a comic book.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ultraviolet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI