Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Office: Yankified!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Office: Yankified!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 4:42:52 PM   
Desleader

Fantastic phone gag in last nights episode, and its great to see Dwight still on top form whilst working at Staples.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 91
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 8:49:32 PM   
mfj fratelli

Good episode. Great prank. Scary Andy. That's all I have to say.

He rocks in the tree-top all day long
Hoppin' and a-boppin' and a-singin' his song
All the little birds on J-Bird St.
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Desleader)
Post #: 92
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 8:52:08 PM   
punchdrunk

That was resolved pretty damn quick!

Post #: 93
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 8:59:01 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

That was resolved pretty damn quick!

It sure was. It will be interesting to see what happens next with Andy. I have a feeling he'll be gone as a permanent character by season's end, but will make occasional guest appearances. I hope I'm wrong.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 94
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 9:19:46 PM   
Heywood

It was resolved pretty quickly, but in a quite satisfying way. Don't know whether Andy is gone now or what. The Jim/Pam/Karen story is moving along quicker than expected too. Shame if Karen leaves, as she is a good character. I wonder how much longer they will drag out the Jim and Pam will-they-won't-they stuff. If they got together too soon, a lot of the interest would go, like in Frasier when Niles and Daphne became a couple.

Anyway, some funny stuff in this weeks episode: the phone prank and Dwight's job interviews were very funny.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 95
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 19/1/2007 10:39:33 PM   
Art Vandelay

As usual, hilarious episode, but i'm not sure i like where they're going with Andy's character. Before this, he just kinda acted like a big kid, but you couldn't help but like him. But now, they've just gone too over-the-top with his character, making it near impossible to ever take him seriously. Hopefully they resolve this issue, as he's slowly becoming one of my favourite characters on TV and i'd hate to see him leave the show.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 96
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 20/1/2007 8:19:42 PM   
furrybastard

Andy's always been on the verge of creepy anyway, it was great seeing him finally going over the edge. I always got the impression he could turn crazy any second! Taht scene where he's looking everywhere for Michael... it was like The Terminator!

Things did move along quickly but it was done very well, which I think is the most important thing. Also, that bit where Jim says to Ryan "I liked you more as The Temp" was hilarious. Do you think they're reading this thread?!

Especially funny was Andy catching the big tuna

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 97
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 23/1/2007 6:28:56 PM   
Venkman

Andy is fast becoming the best character on The Office and it was a good episode after a few iffy episodes in the last few weeks, Michael seemed a lot more restrained which I think is better for his character rather than going completely over the top, crying etc

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 98
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 1/2/2007 9:33:39 PM   
Heywood

Good news for Andy fans: Ed Helms has been upgraded from recurring cast to permanent, so looks like he is going to be around for a while yet.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 99
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 1/2/2007 10:37:56 PM   
Art Vandelay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heywood

Good news for Andy fans: Ed Helms has been upgraded from recurring cast to permanent, so looks like he is going to be around for a while yet.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 100
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 1/2/2007 10:41:54 PM   
punchdrunk

They tend to go to far then pull it back in the us show, Dwight has been very sweet to pam recently, and Ed Helms seems to be over compensating for that, but it will be great to see the character fitting in to the office in a bizzare way.

Post #: 101
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/2/2007 1:35:46 AM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

That's great news, but I just hope they don't overplay their hand. Juggling the comedic talents of Steve Carrell, Rainn Wilson, and Ed Helms will be cumbersome for a program with a running time of only 22 minutes. Not to mention the exceptional abilities of the supporting cast members thrown into the mix.

So far, they seem to be striking the right balance, but let's hope future episodes are handled just as well. 

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 102
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/2/2007 2:50:51 AM   
Art Vandelay

An excellent episode, as always, but it was a bit odd that Andy wasn't in the episode for the first time this Season, especially seeing as how he's just been upgraded...

Post #: 103
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/2/2007 11:58:19 AM   
Heywood

Presumably, Helms was still a recurring character when the episode was filmed. Perhaps they thought it best for Andy to keep a low profile after his outburst last week. Anyway, a decent episode again, if a little low-key after the more dramatic developments of recent weeks. It was the first episode I have seen with Todd Packer in the office (missed all the earlier ones). Slightly different character to Finchy in the UK series, but just as annoying.

Post #: 104
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 10/2/2007 2:56:36 PM   
sparkwood

Not sure if this has been mentioned but The Office has been officially picked up for a fourth  season.
Loved the Ben Franklin episode, very funny ! The wedding ep that followed was ok, not among the best though. The focus seemed to be more on the drama than the comedy.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 105
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 10/2/2007 5:37:40 PM   
Heywood

Some funny moments in the new episode (e.g. Dwight's Pavlovian response), but they really upped the cringe factor to max. Michael was back to his embarrasing behaviour of the first and second series, like dragging the empty wheelchair down the aisle and the toe-curling speech. I guess the writers thought they were making him a little too sympathetic recently and decided to inject a bit of David Brent again.

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 106
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 10/2/2007 8:09:57 PM   
sparkwood

quote:

Some funny moments in the new episode (e.g. Dwight's Pavlovian response), but they really upped the cringe factor to max. Michael was back to his embarrasing behaviour of the first and second series, like dragging the empty wheelchair down the aisle and the toe-curling speech. I guess the writers thought they were making him a little too sympathetic recently and decided to inject a bit of David Brent again.

Yep! I hope they dont make a habit of this. The reason the show is better than the UK version is its ability to leaven the squirm inducing quiet desperation stuff with a greater warmth and emotional range. This gives it a much greater scope for drama as well as comedy and involvement with the characters.
I liked the running gag about Pams wedding style being copied by Phyllis. Missed that on first viewing, rewatching pays dividends with this show.
Not sure what practical difference it make (if any) but next weeks ep is directed by Joss Whedon.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 107
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 10/2/2007 9:23:24 PM   
Heywood

Yes, I would agree the US show doesn't need to go down the cringe-making route quite as much as the UK version. I think it's quite difficult to tread the line between cringe-makingly funny and just too awkward to watch. I was ready to fast forward the video a couple of times when Michael was making a fool of himself.

I had forgotten about the Pam/Phyllis wedding similarity: funny stuff. Looking forward to the Whedon episode, but wonder if we will notice any differences.

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 108
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 1:51:14 AM   
Art Vandelay

Joss Whedon directing an episode? Hmm. Would have preferred for him to have written the episode, but you can't have it all.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 109
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 1:57:17 AM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

Yes, I would agree the US show doesn't need to go down the cringe-making route quite as much as the UK version I think it's quite difficult to tread the line between cringe-makingly funny and just too awkward to watch.

I completely agree with you. However, I think that the wedding episode could be considered an exception. I know that many of Season 3 episodes have tried to hint at a 'sympathetic Michael', but underneath he's still an insecure, narcisstic, ovebearing individual. I like how they try to make him somewhat likable, but it's difficult to leave the proverbial bread-n-butter of the show. That being his awkward tendencies which basically sustain the show, in my opinion.

The wedding episode gave us background for Michael's troubled childhood and insight on his current behavior. From his earlier experiences with weddings it's no wonder he acted the way he did at Phyllis's. That 'center of attention' attitude is still an idea that the writers won't easily let go of.

Although, I know what you mean when you say too awkward to watch. There were moments in the wedding episode that made me burst out in laughter, but after a while I started to feel sorry for how pathetic Michael's life really is if he feels that he needs to put himself in those unbearable situations.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 110
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 11:27:31 AM   
Heywood

You make some very good points, mfj. I did find a lot of Michael's cringe-making behaviour funny, so I didn't mean to sound so critical. I think they were in danger of making everyone too nice, so this episode should give a bit more edge.

Post #: 111
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 11:49:38 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Just started getting into this show, watched the Season 1 DVDs yesterday. Loved the Basketball episode most of all, especially Stanley being so awful. Looking forward to getting my hands on the Season 2 DVDs in a couple of weeks time.

Do you think the show will last beyond Season 4? Steve Carell is becoming a big name at the cinema and filming The Office must take up the majority of his time. He's got Evan Almighty coming out soon, and he's filming Get Smart. And he's got another 3 films yet to be filmed in which he's the lead. It's a smart move to stay with the show until he's more established but I can't see him sticking with The Office for more than another one or two seasons.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 112
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 11:55:13 AM   
Heywood

Hard to know how long the show will go on far after Series 4. I'm in two minds: part of me wants it to carry on for as long as the cast are prepared to do it, but I also don't want them to take it too far and fizzle out. I think they can't keep the Pam/Jim will-they-won't-they story going for too much longer, but when they do get together, a lot of viewers might lose interest in the show. Maybe it's best just to go out on a high.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 113
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 11/2/2007 2:06:50 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Just started getting into this show, watched the Season 1 DVDs yesterday. Loved the Basketball episode most of all, especially Stanley being so awful. Looking forward to getting my hands on the Season 2 DVDs in a couple of weeks time.

Do you think the show will last beyond Season 4? Steve Carell is becoming a big name at the cinema and filming The Office must take up the majority of his time. He's got Evan Almighty coming out soon, and he's filming Get Smart. And he's got another 3 films yet to be filmed in which he's the lead. It's a smart move to stay with the show until he's more established but I can't see him sticking with The Office for more than another one or two seasons.

I think NBC will pay a lot of money to try and keep Carall around. I'm guessing they want this new Thursday Comedy Night to last a long time, and with the next season of Scrubs being the last, they're going to need the two established comedies, The Office and My Name Is Earl, so that they can continue to air newer comdies after it. Unless 30 Rocks ratings suddenly shoot up, or Andy Baker P.I. is a hit, they are going to want The Office to stick around.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 114
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 17/2/2007 12:37:29 AM   
Dave B

Over the last couple of weeks I've downloaded every single episode of the show and I love it, one of my favourite shows now. Steve Carell is fantastic but what makes me love the show is Pam and Jim, their story is superbly written, sweet and brilliantly sustained. I think my favourite episode is the boat one in season 2, the look on Jim's face as Roy announces that he should set a date for the wedding is heartbreaking. This exchange with his girlfriend is priceless as well:

Katy (watching Roy and Pam slow dance): Do you think that will be us someday?
Jim: No
Katy: Why did you bring me here?
Jim: I don't know. We should break up.

Also the episode contains Michael's finest moment, as he actually gives Jim good advice and is very sensitive about the issue. Of course he ruins this in the next episode.

The lastest episode was very good as well, the frisbee bit probably being the funniest moment. Couldn't tell it was directed by Whedon but I guess thats as it should be, although it does talk about vampires.

J.J.Abrams is directing next weeks episode.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 115
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 17/2/2007 11:57:57 AM   
Heywood

Another funny episode. I liked that Ryan had a decent storyline for once, even if he was playing the straight man for much of the episode. His horror at being placed next to Kelly's desk was funny though. I enjoyed last weeks too, when he stopped Kelly catching Phyllis's wedding bouquet.

Michael's speech was almost as toe-curling as David Brent's 'motivation' speech in the UK series. The frisbee throwing was funny though.

Wasn't obvious Whedon was directing (no reason it should be, I guess). The vampire plotline (very funny) was supposedly just a coincidence, but not sure I believe that.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 116
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 18/2/2007 1:13:19 AM   
mfj fratelli

Michael hearing Ryan's comments about Dunder-Mifflin's future was such a heartbreaking moment, and one of the most poignant.    

Great episode, as usual.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 117
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 18/2/2007 7:09:54 PM   
punchdrunk

The pre-credit joke about the teacher was so obvious but was delivered so well by carrell!

Great windup about the vampire, was surprised that it wasn't Tim who came to the Art show but Michael was perfect, to be a comfort to Pam.

Hearing people talk about your art work can be evil

Post #: 118
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 18/2/2007 7:18:48 PM   
furrybastard

Ha! Great episode. Particularly liked Jim's 'transformation' into a vampire and Dwight trying to capture the bat with a black plastic bag!

Whedon did well tos tick with the format of the show rather than try to put his own stamp on it, though there were some rather impressive shots in it. Also, Kevin running into the camera was good, it's rarely pointed out that the camera is a physical presence in the office, the characters just talk to it but it never seems to get int he way like it did this time.

Now, time to get my 'frizz on

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 119
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 18/2/2007 8:29:26 PM   
sparkwood

Good episode, I liked the vampire gag and the 'future of the world is paper now write that down' gag. Whedons direction didnt stand out, which is as it should be in an established series. (Harold Ramis directed a previous episode apparently).

Looking forward to next weeks as always. This is my favourite comedy at the moment!

< Message edited by sparkwood -- 18/2/2007 8:38:45 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Office: Yankified!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI