Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Office: Yankified!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Office: Yankified!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 12:26:15 AM   
mfj fratelli

Just wanted to know if this is being shown in the UK. It's a big hit here in the U.S.
Most of it's fans are carry-overs from the original. Have any of you seen it? Granted it's not as good as Ricky Gervais & Co., but it still has much to offer to those who appreciate "smart, dry humor." I love the original, but this is hilarious as well. Steve Carell is fantastic. The rest of the cast does a good job too. The character of Dwight Schrute is supposed to be Gareth Keenan's counterpart. The actor is second to Carell when it comes to producing laughs. His version is a bit creepier that Gareth, but still funny. Don't be put off by the first few episodes. It took time for it to really develop. It's just finished it's second season here. The second season is 10x funnier than the first. It also has over 20 episodes whereas the first only had 6.

Please give our version a try. Empire knows funny when it sees it. Nothing can be as good as the original, but ours will entertain you. I promise.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!
Post #: 1
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 12:35:14 AM   
Castor Troy

As a massive fan of the original, I've scene a few episodes of the first series (it's been shown over here a couple of times) and I really like it - I keep meaning to buy it on DVD.

Obviously it's not as good as Gervais' but Carrell is superb and they've managed to make it their own whilst keeping the original tone. I'll look forward to the second series.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 2
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 12:40:34 AM   
Mycroft

Haven't got round to it yet but I hear it got much better once it stopped trying to recreate the UK version and found its own voice.

Post #: 3
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 7:40:54 AM   
Art Vandelay

Oh yeah, i've been downloading the latest Season, and Season 2 is one of the funniest things i've watched in a long time. And next Season, Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant shall be writing an episode for the show!

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 4
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 7:41:05 AM   
Art Vandelay

Oh yeah, i've been downloading the latest Season, and Season 2 is one of the funniest things i've watched in a long time. And next Season, Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant shall be writing an episode for the show!

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 5
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 9:58:14 AM   
Heywood

I'm also a huge fan of the original series, and was slightly dubious about there being an American version (after the appalling mess they made of adapting Coupling), but after seeing most of the first series on BBC3 last year, I was really impressed. I was a little unsure of Carell to start with, but now like him and I think it was wise for him not to copy Gervais too much. I love the other characters, who are more like their British counterparts, especially Jim and Pam. I guess I will pick up the DVD of the 2nd series, since it's no use relying on the BBC to show it at a reasonable time.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 6
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 12:43:03 PM   
Revenant

The American version was shown over the christmas (I think) by the bbc.

I thought it would be awful, but they actualy did a pretty good job of it.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 7
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 12:50:45 PM   
Merly

Why do Americans feel the need to remake all our programmes that become successful over there. It's like, well yeah it's good but it's not American, therefore it needs to be remade. Makes me utterly sick. Annoys the hell out of me.

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to Revenant)
Post #: 8
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 3:02:36 PM   
Heywood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

Why do Americans feel the need to remake all our programmes that become successful over there. It's like, well yeah it's good but it's not American, therefore it needs to be remade. Makes me utterly sick. Annoys the hell out of me.

In most cases, I would agree with that. I think the US networks assume that your average American will just not watch anything that is not American-orientated. I suppose there is some truth to that, in that they would never get such high ratings as a US-based show, but the original Office and Coupling were both very popular on BBC America. Trouble is, I believe that channel is not widely available outside big cities. With Coupling, a show I enjoyed greatly in the UK, they stupidly re-made it as a Friends clone, even hiring look-alike actors. They removed most of the raunchy dialogue (which was most of the fun) to make it fit for network TV, but then it sucked badly. Not surprisingly, it was dropped after about 8 episodes.

With the US Office, they kept the spirit of the original, just put it in an American context. I think the original version had a lot of distinctly British references, which would be bewildering for many Americans. I've heard many say they couldn't even understand the accents in the show! I suppose the relative success of the show in the ratings has justified it being re-made (at least in the minds of NBC).

< Message edited by Heywood -- 16/6/2006 4:16:09 PM >

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 9
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 3:34:40 PM   
Merly

quote:

With the US Office, they kept the spirit of the original, just put it in an American context. I think the original version had a lot of distinctly British references, which would be bewildering for many Americans. I've heard many say they couldn't even understand the accents in the show!

Ah Now I understand. Seeing as I got mistaken for an Australian more times than not in America and was asked to repeat myself six times when I asked for some Banana bread in a diner, I can understand that

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 10
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 4:23:10 PM   
Heywood

quote:

quote:

With the US Office, they kept the spirit of the original, just put it in an American context. I think the original version had a lot of distinctly British references, which would be bewildering for many Americans. I've heard many say they couldn't even understand the accents in the show!

Ah Now I understand. Seeing as I got mistaken for an Australian more times than not in America and was asked to repeat myself six times when I asked for some Banana bread in a diner, I can understand that

I know the feeling! I was taken for an Australian and a New Zealander at different times. I had a lot of trouble asking for water in restaurants: in the end I gave in and asked for "warder", and was understood.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 11
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 16/6/2006 4:52:18 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

You have to realize that the network executives are only interested in money. They could just buy the rights to the original version, but they want a show that will produce 20-30 episodes a season.  This ensures commerical sponsorship and more money for the network. Most British programs in the U.S. are shown either on the BBC America channel (which is cable) or publically funded television stations. These channels don't rely on advertisement money as much.

The Office didn't need to be remade, but I'm still glad that it was.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 12
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 18/6/2006 5:29:39 PM   
furrybastard

Other than the first episode which is essentially a remake of the UK's first episode, the US Office is fantastic stuff. Season is, where they really find their feet, is absolutely hilarious and is arguably more laugh-out-loud funny than the original.

Post #: 13
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 9:13:23 PM   
mfj fratelli

Congratulations are in order!

Best Comedy Series: The Office

Perhaps the greatest remake in entertainment history.

I wish I spoke French. Then I could get a triple dose of televison's best medicine.

C'est La Vie!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 14
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 9:23:08 PM   
The Mighty

I've watched most of the second season and I love it. Every single second is funny. Every damn second! To all those with reservations, atleast watch some of the second season.

Post #: 15
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 9:36:47 PM   
Castor Troy

I want them to release a boxset of Season 1 and 2 but it doesn't look like they are.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 16
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 11:29:13 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

Congratulations are in order!

Best Comedy Series: The Office

Perhaps the greatest remake in entertainment history.

Those Photos have sold me, i never liked the Tim and the secutary character in the british one  but overlooked it because of the great writing.

Carrell is a new favourite and the guy playing Garath was great in "six feet under" as the odd house guest/ mother seducer im buying it any chance i can just dive into the second season? it should be easy to pick up. 

Post #: 17
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 11:34:05 PM   
The Mighty

The first season is only 6 episodes I believe, so I would start with that. Just keep in mind that it does get better.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 18
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 2/9/2006 11:34:56 PM   
My Life in Pictures

I really like this show. Carell for me is one of the funniest people around and this show gives him the perfect platform to show what he's capable of.

I've yet to see the original Office though.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 19
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 12:17:50 AM   
Art Vandelay

Can't wait for Season 3 now! And for everyone who have seen Season 2; is Todd not the most unique comedy character on TV? His dead-pan humour and little battle of words with Michael is maybe my favourite thing about the show.

Toby: Actually, I didnít think it was appropriate to invite children, since itís uh, you know, thereís gambling and alcohol, and itís in our dangerous warehouse, and itís a school night, and you know, Hooters is catering, and is that enough, is that enough, should I keep going Ö

Michael: Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, everytime I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate, so much, about the things that you chooose to be.

(in reply to My Life in Pictures)
Post #: 20
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 12:36:58 AM   
The Mighty

I love how Michaels online dating username is "little kid lover".

Post #: 21
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 7:36:32 PM   
The Mighty

I just finished the second season. Best show ever.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 22
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 9:04:32 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

Can't wait for Season 3 now! And for everyone who have seen Season 2; is Todd not the most unique comedy character on TV? His dead-pan humour and little battle of words with Michael is maybe my favourite thing about the show.

Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to invite children, since it's uh, you know, there's gambling and alcohol, and it's in our dangerous warehouse, and it's a school night, and you know, Hooters is catering, and is that enough, is that enough, should I keep going Ö

Michael: Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, everytime I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate, so much, about the things that you chooose to be.

That's another fantastic aspect of the show. The supporting cast, Toby included, get as many good lines as Carell & Wilson. It's an ensemble that ranks up there with the other greats such as Arrested Development and Scrubs. Each character contributes to the success of the show. Carell is the obvious standout, but the others are tremendous also.

I might sound blasphemous here, but I'm going to say that The Office (American) is better overall. The original has Gervais, who is certainly the funniest of them all, but I'm beginning to think that the supporting characters are much better in the American version.

Don't get me wrong. The original is superb, but I only found myself laughing when Gervais was on screen. Every character in the American version makes me laugh.

Post #: 23
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 10:24:46 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

Actually, the main reason is for syndication rights across the US - they need to make up 100 episodes of a series and can then farm it out to syndicates, and when Gervais was producing a series of 6, and then stopping after 12 episodes and a Christmas special, it wasn't really much to entice the US to just take the show, so they went for the format. Sometimes it works - as it seems to in this case - and sometimes it's just across the board terrible, like the recent US version of Teachers.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 24
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 10:40:39 PM   
Art Vandelay

quote:

I might sound blasphemous here, but I'm going to say that The Office (American) is better overall. The original has Gervais, who is certainly the funniest of them all, but I'm beginning to think that the supporting characters are much better in the American version.

Don't get me wrong. The original is superb, but I only found myself laughing when Gervais was on screen. Every character in the American version makes me laugh.

When i first heard of this show, i thought i'd never say this, but i totally agree with you. The UK version was incredible and unique, but the humour from this show actually kills me. And yeah, they certainly have one of the best supporting cast on TV. And i read that Toby is just played by one of the writers, with no previous acting experience.

Post #: 25
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 3/9/2006 10:52:54 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

quote:

When i first heard of this show, i thought i'd never say this, but i totally agree with you. The UK version was incredible and unique, but the humour from this show actually kills me. And yeah, they certainly have one of the best supporting cast on TV. And i read that Toby is just played by one of the writers, with no previous acting experience.

I think a lot of the cast are just members of the writing team. From Wikipedia...

"Three of the show's writers were also cast as performers: B.J. Novak, Mindy Kaling, and Paul Lieberstein. Novak was seen by Daniels doing stand-up comedy and was cast as reluctant temp Ryan Howard and Lieberstein was cast as HR Director Toby by Novak's suggestion after his cold readings of scripts.[7] Greg Daniels originally wasn't sure where to use Kaling, who is an Indian-American, on screen in the series until the point came in the second episode's script where Michael needed to be slapped by a minority. "Since then, I've been on the show" (as the chatty Kelly Kapoor), Kaling stated in a February 2006 interview[10]. Steve Carell has also written one episode"

Personally, I Creed is hilarious. But I love them all.

I also think this version is better then the UK version, but I've only seen the first season of the UK version.

Post #: 26
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 4/9/2006 12:24:23 AM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

Personally,  Creed is hilarious. But I love them all.

I also think this version is better then the UK version, but I've only seen the first season of the UK version.

I agree. The character of Creed is hilarious.

I used to think that the original was the best, but after multiple viewings of the American version, I have changed my mind.

You should still watch the second series of the original though. I thought it was better than the first

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 27
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 4/9/2006 10:28:16 AM   
Timon

Like everyone I thought this would be a bad idea especially after the first episode was exactly the same as the first episode of the UK version but less funnier but the show has come in to it's own and is now it's own thing.

Steve Carrell is great and I love the secondary characters. Season 2 is just as good but i felt the final scene of the last episode between Jim and Pam was too sitcomy and not at all as if they were being filmed by a docu crew. Not like in the UK version where Tim just rips off his mike and talks to Dawn in private.

Only complaint though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 28
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 4/9/2006 11:41:16 AM   
punchdrunk

Anyone see the English version of "That 70's Show"? worst Tv show i've seen.

sometimes you wonder why they bother like remaking "men behaving badly" format...how simple is that format?  two crude guys in an apartment one with a long suffering girlfriend the other in lust with the girl next door, of course they take over the great writing (is it Simon Nye?) but then its changed beyond recognition anyway) from what i heard the attempt was flawed, but i never saw it.

The American version of "Steptoe and son" "Sampson and son" was a long running show in the states it was well respected and ran longer than the uk version.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: The Office: Yankified!!! - 9/9/2006 5:23:23 PM   
punchdrunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJqxd4Pp1g&mode=related&search=

Good clip from the American office, showing the office romance.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Office: Yankified!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI