Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/11/2012 8:12:54 PM   
UTB

I was surprised they were in it in the first place. Gutted mate. Save that dosh for the next one in April!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 1861
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/11/2012 8:19:37 PM   
TheGodfather

I really can`t: don`t wanna wait any longer for the Qatsi trilogy and Brazil

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1862
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/11/2012 9:11:44 PM   
UTB

Don't blame you

Post #: 1863
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/11/2012 12:13:21 PM   
Ugetsu

The B&N sale has been extended until the 26th apparently.

I've ordered 16 titles so far, hoping some of them start to arrive at the end of the week.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1864
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/11/2012 10:26:25 AM   
Ugetsu

First part of my order arrived alittle while ago.

Marked as books, on the printout sticker & custom declaration,

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1865
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/11/2012 10:34:26 PM   
TheGodfather

The february titles:

Beautiful covers for On The Waterfront and The Ballad Of Narayama!
Will be one helluva stacked release of On The Waterfront

quote:

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Alternate presentations of the restoration in two additional aspect ratios: 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)
Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
Commentary featuring authors Richard Schickel and Jeff Young
Conversation between filmmaker Martin Scorsese and critic Kent Jones
Elia Kazan: Outsider (1982), an hour-long documentary
New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with scholar Leo Braudy, critic David Thomson, and others
New interview with actress Eva Marie Saint
Interview with director Elia Kazan from 2001
Contender, a 2001 documentary on the film’s most famous scene
New interview with longshoreman Thomas Hanley, an actor in the film
New interview with author James T. Fisher (On the Irish Waterfront) about the real-life people and places behind the film
Visual essay on Leonard Bernstein’s score
Visual essay on the aspect ratio
Trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Almereyda and reprints of Kazan’s 1952 ad in the New York Times defending his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee, one of the 1948 New York Sun articles by Malcolm Johnson on which the film was based, and a 1953 Commonweal piece by screenwriter Budd Schulberg

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 15/11/2012 10:35:35 PM >

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1866
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/11/2012 11:34:14 PM   
TheGodfather

There`s already discussion on the Criterion forum about the chosen 1.66:1 aspect ratio:

quote:

There's no doubt that the intended theatrical ratio was 1.85. It was also sometimes (wrongly) projected at 1.37 since it was released at the height of the transition. I think there's always been some belief that it looked a little tight at 1.85, and it's certainly logical to assume that framing for the ratio in camera wasn't an exact science yet. For this reason, Grover Crisp recommended Criterion frame it at 1.66. Since they were going with a ratio other than theatrical without the director's consent, they elected to make a feature of it, give options, and discuss the transition.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1867
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/11/2012 8:58:28 PM   
UTB

First part of my B&N order turned up today...

In The Mood For Love
Traffic
Shallow Grave
David Lean Directs Noel Coward

All looking marvellous. Got Thursday and Friday off this week so I will be diving in!

< Message edited by UTB -- 20/11/2012 8:59:21 PM >

Post #: 1868
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/11/2012 5:30:57 PM   
Ugetsu

30% discount code for B&N, only works on one item and on Criterions.

T9P3E3W

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1869
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 26/11/2012 10:31:22 PM   
TheGodfather

I`ve watched Godard`s Week End tonight (for the second time, first time I saw it was on the UK dvd)

Week End
It`s Jean-Luc Godard`s last film that is a little watchable narrative wise (although you really shouldn`t try to and just let it come over you). Here he already goes more and more towards a political side, there can be no mistakes about his political preferences. They are quite clear. The film is quite radical, in a good way: everything is possible and everything can and will happen, the story is only used a startingpoint, to give way to his thoughts about today`s society, consumerism and (of course) politics. And what he gives us isn`t a too pretty image.

Visually this might be one of Godard`s best works I`ve seen so far, and I`ve seen quite a bit of his work. He uses a lot of long takes, for instance, in wich in every shot a lot of things happen at the same time. Brilliant centerpiece of it all is an almost 10 minute long scene that completely takes place in a traffic jam. A work of genius.
It is radical, it is bizar and it has everything. And although it`s overall quite a humoristic film you don`t really get happy from the picture Godard presents to us about ourselves and the world.
To quote the legendary film critic Pauline Kael: "Weekend is Godard's vision of Hell, and it ranks with the greatest".

9,0/10

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1870
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/11/2012 10:58:48 PM   
TheGodfather

So what would this be?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1871
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/11/2012 1:51:48 PM   
AngryDude92

Medium Cool.
Just a Guess.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

Post #: 1872
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 10/12/2012 10:19:27 PM   
TheGodfather

Tonight I watched an old Criterion dvd, wich I think is worth a mention here. More people should see this:

Secret Honor
Philip Baker Hall is Richard Nixon who after his presidency locks himself up in a room, surrounded by paitings of (among others) Kissinger, Eisenhower and Lincoln, and start working on his memoirs. During this he goes ever more crazy and blames everyone for Watergate but himself.

That is the film version of a stage play is all too clear. Not in the last part because Baker Hall is the only actor in the whole film and the complete 90 minutes take place within one and the same room. For the fact that the film stays exciting and interesting, we can thank the combination that Baker Hall and Altman form here. Altman uses his camera only to register and leaves everything else up to Baker Hall, who lets him self compeltely go in a number of very long takes. Of course sometimes it`s just over the edge and he turns Nixon into a charicature but that is a good thing here. Like nobody else, he takes you into that tiny lonely world in wich Nixon lived (at least, in the lonely tiny world created here).

For lovers of brilliant acting performances (who isn`t?) this is a must, as it is for lovers of American history (although some knowledge of that does come in handy).

8,5/10

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 1873
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/12/2012 10:45:44 PM   
TheGodfather

March releases:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1874
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/12/2012 7:38:30 AM   
UTB

Expensive month... The Blob (yay!), Badlands and A Man Escaped for me I think.

Post #: 1875
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/12/2012 9:48:35 PM   
TheGodfather

Yup, very expensive month!

from the new newsletter:

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1876
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/12/2012 10:47:54 PM   
UTB

Though, the more I look at the Badlands artwork, the worse it gets...!

The clue suggest Repo Man, though with the MoC steelbook I will happily pass!

Post #: 1877
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 22/12/2012 12:12:49 AM   
TheGodfather

How do you get to Repo Man?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1878
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 22/12/2012 11:59:22 AM   
UTB

Everything product-y in the film is labelled with blue writing and is called what's inside...

Surely a DVD/Blu Ray would be called "Movie"?

Post #: 1879
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 23/12/2012 5:27:27 PM   
UTB

Well something's up at Barnes & Noble. They sent me an email to say that Brazil had been delayed (ordered during the sale) but that Following and Heaven's Gate had been sent. However, the order online says Brazil and Following have been sent but Heaven's Gate not... d'oh!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1880
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 23/12/2012 7:53:47 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Everything product-y in the film is labelled with blue writing and is called what's inside...

Surely a DVD/Blu Ray would be called "Movie"?

Ah,right. forgot about that

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1881
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 29/12/2012 4:58:47 AM   
Ugetsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Well something's up at Barnes & Noble. They sent me an email to say that Brazil had been delayed (ordered during the sale) but that Following and Heaven's Gate had been sent. However, the order online says Brazil and Following have been sent but Heaven's Gate not... d'oh!

B&N are insane. I placed an order for six Criterions but I cancelled five, they sent the one I kept along with three of the five I cancelled in the same package, only charged me for one...a couple of days later I received another package another blu I cancelled, they didn't charge me for it.
The same day they sent me a shipping notification for another blu I cancelled and again no charge...

So 5 criterion blu rays for the price of 1 not bad.

< Message edited by Ugetsu -- 29/12/2012 5:27:06 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1882
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 1/1/2013 8:55:12 PM   
TheGodfather

From their facebook page:

Just to give you an idea of what we’ll be up to in 2013...

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1883
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/1/2013 2:42:24 PM   
UTB

I knew as soon as I bought the Italian 'Naked Lunch' Blu Ray that Criterion would upgrade. Will still pick it up no doubt.

Also - yay Eraserhead!

Post #: 1884
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/1/2013 9:22:22 PM   
TheGodfather

And The Kid!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1885
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/1/2013 9:53:31 PM   
Ugetsu

Looks like they're releasing Gate of Hell, can't see how it'll improve on the MoC edition picture wise.
Hopefully they'll add A Page of Madness as an extra.

Post #: 1886
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 7/1/2013 1:33:37 PM   
Ugetsu

Reviews are out for Ivan's Childhood & Ballad of Narayama both look incredible.

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1887
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 10/1/2013 10:51:08 PM   
TheGodfather

Rashômon
Kurosawa`s breakthrough in the West doesn`t really give us a fun view on "mankind". "Everybody lies because no-one really is he like pretends to be" he once said about Rashômon. Who of the four lead characters in this masterpiece is lying? or are they all lying? it`s up to the viewer to give a verdict because Kurosawa has his characters give a testimony to the viewer. By doing so, he includes the audience specifically in the story over and over again.

Multiple flashbacks (and flashbacks within flashbacks) are used, dividing the story in three different "timeszones", each of wich have their own style and cinematography.
Every piece is different, as beautiful as the last.

The strong point is that Kurosawa himself never gives a verdict about the characters, he totally leaves that up to his viewers to make up their own thruth.
Back when the film was released, audiences didn`t really appreciated that. 60 years on, that is one of the reasons why Rashomôn still stands strong and still is interesting and still is topical today.
Essential viewing.

9,0/10

(in reply to Ugetsu)
Post #: 1888
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 29/1/2013 9:41:45 PM   
TheGodfather

From the newsletter:

Post #: 1889
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 7/2/2013 10:35:11 PM   
TheGodfather

From the Criterion forum:

quote:

I'll get pics up soon but On the Waterfront is a Digipak.

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 7/2/2013 10:36:21 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1890
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI