Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/7/2012 4:49:11 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Think i'm going to risk getting 3 at once although i'm wondering if i'm working it all out correctly

If i buy £30.00 worth of DVDs i'm guessing if i get caught for VAT it would be £6.00 plus a Post office charge £8.00

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1801
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/7/2012 4:52:29 PM   
elab49

Add the postage on - it's not used when deciding if the charge applies but, if it does, then the calculation is done on the total. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1802
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/7/2012 10:03:39 PM   
elab49

http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

October releases - the Gremillon Eclipse, Lonesome and the lovely Carne's go on my Xmas list.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1803
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/7/2012 1:17:30 AM   
TheGodfather

wonderful to see a blu-ray of In The Mood for Love. Finally my French 2 disc dvd with the wrong aspect ratio can be ditched :b
Also wonderful to finally see Rosemary`s Baby being released.

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1804
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/7/2012 9:41:30 AM   
chris_scott01

Does anyone know what the import duty percentage is on DVDs from USA - UK. I know it can change but a rough idea from the label of a recent(ish) package should tell you the charges, yes?

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 1805
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/7/2012 10:03:12 AM   
elab49

There's no duty, it's VAT - so a standard 20%. 

quote:

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1806
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/7/2012 10:22:23 AM   
chris_scott01

I thought you had to pay both. Is there any major disadvantage to buying, say 12 titles, to 2-3? If you're caught VAT is % and then there's that basic PO charge, is it not better in the long run to get as much at once? I just want to check there isn't a charge I'm forgetting or that applies to orders of a certain amount that I'm not aware of.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1807
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/8/2012 8:40:59 PM   
TheGodfather

From the criterionforum http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11855&start=1275

quote:

Is there any chance you guys will be releasing any more of Hitchcock's public domain catalogue, specifically the original The Man Who Knew Too Much? I have been knocked flat by your Blu-rays of both The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

And their answer was:
quote:

[...]We'd love to have more Hitchcock films and I'm happy to say that we'll
be releasing THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH next year and it looks great.
Best,
Jon Mulvaney

And about their new annoucements, due tomorrow:

quote:

Criterion Collection Facebook Page wrote:
Here's a hint: A film from 1950 will be getting a Blu-ray upgrade.

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 14/8/2012 8:46:13 PM >

Post #: 1808
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/8/2012 9:48:47 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched the blu-ray of Blow Out tonight:

Blow Out
The last time I saw this DePalma film it was when I taped it from tv on a worn-out VHS tapel. At the time (about 8 years ago) I didn`t really like it.
That the medium on wich you see a movie can make such a big difference is proven here once again, now that I watched the film on Criterion blu-ray. An almost perfect transfer with beautiful covers that bring across that unique `80s atmosphere perfectly and the amazing soundtrack that adds even more to that atmosphere (something that is really important in this film, of course) makes you get involved in Travolta`s job as a soundman.
Speaking of Travolta, here he gives one of his best performances and of course DePalma goes shopping in his favorite films and favorite director`s work, as we know from him he will.
An excellent conspiracy theory/paranoia film in an amazing blu-ray from Criterion.

8,0/10

Post #: 1809
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/8/2012 10:18:07 AM   
spark1

new discs for november at-
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/criterion-november-releases2.html

'heaven's gate'!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by spark1 -- 17/8/2012 10:18:49 AM >

Post #: 1810
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/8/2012 10:43:09 PM   
TheGodfather

At long, long last Week-End get`s released! one of my most anticipated Criterion blu-ray.
Rashomon is great news as well and the Eclipse box looks interesting.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 1811
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/8/2012 11:05:43 PM   
elab49

Get off, the Shockiku set is mine! And the Takashi Shimura interview might tempt me to Rashomon.

http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

THe proper Criterion link.

quote:

Post #: 1812
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/8/2012 11:28:36 AM   
chris_scott01

I love Eclipse series, that one looks very interesting.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1813
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/9/2012 11:41:38 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Just a heads up, Amazon.com have Throne of Blood Criterion for $10.49. plus postage it works out at £11.00.

Only 17 left. Here

Post #: 1814
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/9/2012 10:29:04 PM   
TheGodfather

Children Of Paradise @ dvdbeaver.com

just saw this posted on another forum:

Buy 2, Get a 3rd Free on Criterion Collection Blu-rays

www.barnesandnoble.com (click!)

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 4/9/2012 10:45:11 PM >

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1815
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/9/2012 8:45:34 PM   
TheGodfather

Yesterday I watched the Royal Tenenbaums blu-ray

The Royal Tenenbaums
Wes Anderson`s masterful portrait of a disfunctional family is hard to describe. It`s at the same time a hartwarming comedy and a tearjerker. Anderson knows how to find that balance very well and makes sure that neither is too much. Right at the moment that you feel the drama is becoming too much you`ll get a lovely comic scene and vice versa.
In this he gets help from a brilliant all-star cast who all give career-best performances, with Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman leading the pack. Also that typical Wes Anderson style with a warm colour pallet is present and gives the film a nice atmosphere.

This only was the first time that I saw this but I do have this feeling that this is a typical film that gets better with every viewing. That`s why this excellent Criterion blu-ray will end up in my player more often in the future.
So far this isn`t my favorite Anderson but that could very well change in the future...
Go, Mordecai!

8,0/10

Post #: 1816
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/9/2012 10:11:30 PM   
TheGodfather

Today I finally watched the Godzilla blu-ray:

Gojira (Godzilla)
The mother of all monsterfilms has a slow start. Therefor I didn`t really like the first part and it took a while for me to get into the film. The second part of the film on the other hand was really good. With, especially for that time, great (miniature) effects and a story that even has some drama in it and is a good complaint against atomic- and other weapons of mass destruction.
I am curious though how the Americanised version, wich is also featured on the Criterion blu-ray release, will work out.

8,0/10

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1817
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/9/2012 11:30:10 PM   
TheGodfather

A WONDERFUL december line-up:

Finally we get the Brazil blu-ray (a 2 disc set!) and the Qatsi trilogy, been waiting forever for that. And curious about Nolan`s Following, have always wanted to see that one.

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 17/9/2012 11:31:01 PM >

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1818
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/9/2012 11:47:18 PM   
elab49

Not a fan. I'll probably pick up the excellent Plein Soleil though (sorry, just can't get used to the translated title and it was released over here under the proper one so I'm not sure why, in this case, Criterion aren't using it.

quote:

Post #: 1819
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/9/2012 11:50:20 PM   
TheGodfather

Not a fan of what? none of the titles, other then Plein soleil, that are released?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1820
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/9/2012 1:03:03 AM   
Ultimo Lee

Slightly interested in Purple Noon, i should probably watch Brazil again, i'd guess Following is in the collection down to the name of the director not the quality of the film and judging by the trailers The Qatsi trilogy is something i'd absolutely hate.

God that post sounds like one of the ungrateful whiners at the Criterion forums In truth i'm glad there's nothing i'm overly excited about i already have too many Criterion to buy and with rumors of 4 Months, 3 Weeks, And 2 Days, Breaking The Waves and Y Tu Mama Tambien for 2013 there's plenty more to come.

Post #: 1821
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/9/2012 7:40:33 AM   
UTB

Wish they'd hurry up and release Naked Lunch on Blu but that's not a bad slate for December. The B&N sale will be on around then, right?

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1822
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/9/2012 9:00:39 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Not a fan of what? none of the titles, other then Plein soleil, that are released?

Following

I won't be double-dipping for Brazil which I think is a great film. For me the Qaatsi's are pretty but not much beyond that.

As with Ultimo there isn't remotely a 'wow' in this lot - but I'll be getting some of the earlier releases on the new release page mentioned earlier in this thread

< Message edited by elab49 -- 18/9/2012 10:42:53 PM >

quote:

Post #: 1823
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/9/2012 9:21:47 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Following

I won't be double-dipping for Brazil which I think is a great film. For me the Qaatsi's are pretty but not much beyond that.

As for Ultimo there isn't remotely a 'wow' in this lot - but I'll be getting some of the earlier releases on the new release page mentioned earlier in this thread

Ah ok
I will be double dipping on Brazil, got the 3 disc release as well.
There might not be a "wow" but there surely is a "HELL YES!!" in this lot for me

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1824
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/9/2012 11:46:02 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

A WONDERFUL december line-up:

Finally we get the Brazil blu-ray (a 2 disc set!) and the Qatsi trilogy, been waiting forever for that. And curious about Nolan`s Following, have always wanted to see that one.

Hallelujah. Time to invest in a multi region player methinks.

I'm assuming the special features are standard def if they're fitting it all on 2 discs or have they dropped anything from the 3 disc DVD set?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1825
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/9/2012 4:11:37 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I'm assuming the special features are standard def if they're fitting it all on 2 discs or have they dropped anything from the 3 disc DVD set?

The specs

Special Features:
– Restored high-definition digital transfer of Terry Gilliam’s 142-minute director’s cut, supervised by Gilliam, with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
– Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam
– What Is “Brazil”?, a thirty-minute on-set documentary by Rob Hedden
– The Battle of “Brazil”: A Video History, a sixty-minute documentary by author and film writer Jack Mathews about the controversy surrounding the film’s release
– The “Love Conquers All” version of Brazil, a ninety-four-minute cut of the film produced by the studio in an attempt to make it more commercial, with commentary by Brazil expert David Morgan
– The Production Notebook, a collection of supplements featuring a trove of Brazil-iana from Gilliam’s personal collection: a short documentary on the screenplay, featuring interviews with screenwriters Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard; Gilliam’s storyboards for unfilmed dream sequences, animated and narrated by Morgan; visual essays on the film’s production design and special effects; a visual essay on Brazil’s costumes, narrated by costume designer James Acheson; and interviews with Gilliam and composer Michael Kamen on the score
– Trailer
– An essay by Jack Matthews on the DVD edition and a booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt on the Blu-ray edition

Post #: 1826
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/9/2012 7:54:52 PM   
UTB

Its time to admit... I've never seen Brazil. So I might have to get the Blu.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1827
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/9/2012 9:07:41 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Oh yeah, time to invest for sure!
no the extra`s are the same as for the 3 disc dvd edition
Most of their extra`s on other releases are in hi-def as well

Post #: 1828
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 24/9/2012 5:42:19 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Criterion are having a flash sale for the next 24 hours, 50% off.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2483-flash-sale

Post #: 1829
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 24/9/2012 9:17:34 PM   
TheGodfather

But they aren`t shipping outside the US...

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1830
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI