Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/5/2012 8:27:03 PM   
chris_scott01

Wow, title quality certainly took a dip with that Eclipse set. It used to say cool stuff like "The Warped World of.." or "Free Radical" or "Up All Night With..." Now "Other Films By"? Come on...

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1771
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/5/2012 8:59:17 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

Pics didn't show GF.

Oh right, as always. That`s a real bug on the Empire forum `cause it does show on all other forums....

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1772
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/5/2012 9:20:59 PM   
UTB

They wont show on a UBB forum if there's anything after the file extension (.jpg), so remove the ?numbers and get:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_images/3943/623_BD_box_348x3490.jpg?1337108719

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 1773
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/5/2012 9:45:49 PM   
TheGodfather

Yeah that sucks...

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1774
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/5/2012 9:59:04 PM   
TheGodfather

Summer Interlude @ dvdbeaver

Summer With Monika @ dvdbeaver

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1775
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/5/2012 6:39:53 PM   
TheGodfather

Take your guesses with this one

Post #: 1776
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/5/2012 7:48:54 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Far too easy - On The Waterfront.

Post #: 1777
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/5/2012 7:52:37 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Far too easy - On The Waterfront.

Ah ok, that`s great news. I do have the dvd but still haven`t seen it, that`s why I didn`t know it

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1778
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/5/2012 8:25:33 PM   
TheGodfather

I watched the Criterion blu-ray of Certified Copy today: a truly excellent film in a great Criterion release.

Copie Conforme (Certified Copy)
Abbas Kiarostami`s first film that he made outside Iran is about the meeting between an English writer on a promotional tour in Italy`s Tuscany and a woman who comes to his press conference.
During the day they get to know each other, until one conversation turns everything upside down.

Kiarostami`s use of extremely long shots without cuts and the dialogues that come from it fit perfectly into this story. At first sight this is quite a simple story but it does go deeper than that, it gives you stuff to think about. Juliette Binoch is (as always) truly brilliant in her role.

It looks like a peaceful film that progresses without very much happening but it does get under your skin without you even noticing it. This makes you think about a lot of what you`ve just seen and (especially) heard and the discussions that were held.

A very strong film from Kiarostami, both story- as well as acting wise.

9,0/10

Post #: 1779
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 29/5/2012 10:12:48 PM   
TheGodfather

The Gold Rush review@ dvdbeaver

Shallow Grave review @ dvdbeaver

my copy of The Gold Rush has been posted by planetaxel today!

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 29/5/2012 10:14:03 PM >

Post #: 1780
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/6/2012 11:11:23 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched today:

La Règle Du Jeu (The Rules Of The Game)
As a whole La Grande Illusion might be better but film technically speaking La Règle Du Jeu tops the bill. Renoir style, with a moving camera and long shots in wich everywhere in every shot something is going on (so in the background as well), comes to a climax here. In that area the whole film is a true joy. The story, a hard critique on the pre-war French upper class (that according to Renoir was "rotten to its core"), is good and contains wonderful dialogues.

The original version that Renoir released ran just over 90 minutes but after a financial and critical bad reception he re-edited it and it got reduced to 81 minutes. In 1959 it got re-edited, with Renoir`s approval, back to its original length wich turned out to be even longer than the first version: 106 minutes. That is the version we know to this day and the version that became an everlasting classic.
On the Criterion blu-ray there`s a supplement in wich the differences between the original 81 minute and the 106 minute version are shown, a very interesting piece. It would be awesome if someday we could see that 81 minute version as well. But I think and fear we all know better than to hope to see that version sometime...

9,0/10

Post #: 1781
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/6/2012 7:31:40 PM   
TheGodfather

From the newsletter:

Post #: 1782
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2012 12:02:26 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

From the newsletter:

Sunday, Bloody Sunday for sure.

Post #: 1783
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/6/2012 8:21:40 PM   
UTB

Will be picking up The Game in September most definitely.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1784
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/6/2012 9:13:46 AM   
TheGodfather

September releases:

love the cover for The Game!! and the Carné covers as well. Will watch the Children of Paradise Criterion dvd first before getting that blu-ray but I will be getting The Game on release

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 16/6/2012 9:19:12 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1785
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2012 6:53:18 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched yesterday:

The Gold Rush (1942 version)
Long after sound made its entry in cinema, Charlie Chaplin went back to revisit his silent films. He re-edited his 1925 masterpiece, composed a new score and wrote and told a new narration for it like a sort of voice over. Chaplin saw this version as the definitve version, he tried to have the original 1925 version destroyed so that audiences could only see this version.
The Chaplin estate thinks that this film is the only "true"version as well, the 1925 version is "just a nice supplement".

It`s a good thing that different people have different opinions because with that last bit I totally disagree. I found the original version to be far superior to this one. Chaplin left out the title card and wrote and told them as a voice-over, like he did with the dialogues. This way it feels more like a children`s book that is being read out to you than an adult film.
Also some scenes that made the original so strong, among wich a sub plot with Gloria and a beautiful ending, are left out or shortented a lot.
This version is 17 minutes shorter, so you can imagine how much is left out. It all doesn`t favour the film, making it a lot less interesting and short of emotional depth (as far as that was already present) as opposed to the original version.

All in all I feel that the choices that Chaplin made here aren`t for the better.
Personally I would say this version is a nice supplement and watch the original 1925 silent version.

6,5/10

Post #: 1786
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 25/6/2012 12:34:48 AM   
Spectator of Suicide

I would love to get my hands on Man Bites Dog. Had it own video years ago. Is the Criterion release any good?

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

Post #: 1787
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 10/7/2012 4:00:14 PM   
elab49

It's that Barnes and Noble time of year again 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 1788
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 10/7/2012 10:33:49 PM   
TheGodfather

Oh yes ladies and gentlepeople, it`s that time of the year again.
From today until July 30th the 50% sale @ Barnes and Noble (click) is on again

Post #: 1789
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 9:57:43 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I might buy a few of those for when I finally get round to buying a multi region Blu-Ray player, or actually I might grab a few DVD's.

At those prices I'm assuming you won't be stung by import tax either? If I recall correctly I never got stung with import tax on orders under £20 in value.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1790
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 10:03:16 AM   
elab49

The limit has gone down, but if you make single orders there's a chance you'll be fine. The limit is £15 now - that's around the $23 mark (and it's the cost of the DVD that is the issues, shipping only comes into it if you're over the limit). 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1791
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 10:08:27 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Cool, thanks.

What's the going rate for P&P with Barnes & Noble? I've never ordered off them before (and won't be ordering till payday next week). I've got my eye on 3 or 4 titles on DVD at $14.99 each so I'm wondering if paying the import tax on a single order would be cheaper than paying for P&P on 4 seperate orders.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1792
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 10:24:06 AM   
elab49

There's a basic charge $7.49 then 99c per item - so it's a case of 4 times the basic charge vs the potential VAT hit.

If you'd a total cost of say $72 to pay VAT on then it's going to be around the £17 to £20 mark for the charge (adding the £8 charge for Royal Mail) vs around £21 for four individual shipping costs. So it's probably too close to call.

quote:

Post #: 1793
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 10:44:58 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Thanks elab.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

I'm tempted to just order them as one package and take the VAT hit but get them all at the same time. Then again I do love to get one over on HMRC whenever possible

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/7/2012 10:51:22 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1794
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 7:23:51 PM   
Ultimo Lee

So in the end the sale is pointless to us in the UK? might as well buy off the sellers on Amazon/Ebay?

That's shit on weekend shopping

Post #: 1795
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/7/2012 7:55:53 PM   
elab49

It's still generally cheaper to go for B&N. Take a normal $19.99 Criterion - with shipping that's going to be around £18, and under the customs limit.

On Amazon, you normally see the same number in dollars in Sterling - eg Secret Sunshine Blu Ray $20 B&N, £20 Amazon. So by itself, even before Amazon shipping, it's more expensive than DVD + Shipping on B&N. The real clincher is the Amazon sale is over the customs limit.

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1796
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/7/2012 5:45:21 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Probably risk the Import Charges, i guess there's a chance they won't catch me

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1797
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/7/2012 5:52:30 PM   
elab49

You're still paying £2-3 more on Amazon at the current exchange though.

I did only check it for the $20 Criterions though - may differ going higher.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/7/2012 5:56:01 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1798
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/7/2012 6:10:34 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You're still paying £2-3 more on Amazon at the current exchange though.

I did only check it for the $20 Criterions though - may differ going higher.

I meant on BN sale

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1799
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/7/2012 10:31:28 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I've decided to order 2 titles seperately and pay the postage rather than take the VAT hit.

Anyone care to recommend a couple of DVD titles? I already own Brazil (quelle surprise) and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI