Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/10/2011 11:41:29 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

What do you guys think Drunken Angel and Stray Dogs. Well someone is drunk anyway.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 1681
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/10/2011 2:30:03 PM   
elab49

Double clue seems to be the general opinion. So, disappointingly, not new films.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 1682
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/10/2011 9:28:03 PM   
TheGodfather

I thought White Dog and Drunken Angel 

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1683
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/10/2011 9:59:59 PM   
TheGodfather

Just in via twitter:

We think you're really going to like our January line-up...

Any idea? Belle Du Jour?

Post #: 1684
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/10/2011 10:38:35 PM   
TheGodfather

January releases:

SYNOPSIS:

The Moment of Truth,
from director  Francesco Rosi is a visceral plunge into the life of a famous  torero—played by real-life bullfighting legend Miguel Mateo, known as  Miguelin. Charting his rise and fall with a single-minded focus on the  bloody business at hand, the film is at once gritty and operatic,  placing the viewer right in the thick of the ring's action, as close to  death as possible. Like all of the great Italian truth seeker's films,  this is a not just an electrifying drama but also a profound and moving  inquiry into a violent world—and perhaps the greatest bullfighting movie  ever made.

Disc Features

• New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
  • Interview with director Francesco Rosi from 2004
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Peter Matthews[/list]

Belle de jour

SYNOPSIS:

The porcelain perfection of Catherine Deneuve  hides a cracked interior in the actress's most iconic role: Séverine, a  chilly Paris housewife by night, a bordello prostitute by day. This  surreal and erotic late-sixties daydream from provocateur for the ages  Luis Buñuel is an examination of desire and fetishistic pleasure (its  characters' and its viewers'), as well as a gently absurdist take on  contemporary social mores and class divisions. Fantasy and reality  commingle in this burst of cinematic transgression, which was one of  Buñuel's biggest hits.

Disc Features

• New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
  • Audio commentary featuring Michael Wood, author of the BFI Film Classics book Belle de jour
  • New video piece featuring writer and sexual-politics activist Susie Bright and film scholar Linda Williams
  • New interview with screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière
  • Excerpt from the French television program Cinéma, featuring interviews with Carrière and actress Catherine Deneuve
  • Original and American release trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Melissa Anderson and a 1970s interview with director Luis Buñuel[/list]

Godzilla

SYNOPSIS:

Godzilla
    is the roaring granddaddy  of all monster movies. It's also a remarkably humane and melancholy  drama made in Japan at a time when the country was still reeling from  nuclear attack and H-bomb testing. Its rampaging radioactive beast, the  poignant embodiment of an entire population's fears, became a beloved  international icon of destruction, spawning more than twenty sequels.  This first thrilling, tactile spectacle continues to be a cult  phenomenon; here, we present the original, 1954 Japanese version, along  with Godzilla, King of the Monsters, the 1956 American reworking starring Raymond Burr.

Disc Features

• Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series)
  • New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Terry Morse's 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr
  • Audio commentary for Godzilla, King of the Monsters by Kalat
  • New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla  performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo  Kaimai
  • Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira Ifukube
  • Featurette detailing Godzilla's photographic effects
  • New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato
  • The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo fukuryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla
  • Theatrical trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman[/list]

Traffic

SYNOPSIS:

Traffic
    examines the question of  drugs as politics, business, and lifestyle. With an innovative,  color-coded cinematic treatment distinguishing his interwoven stories,  Steven Soderbergh embroils viewers in the lives of a newly appointed  drug czar and his family, a West Coast kingpin’s wife, a key informant,  and police officers on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border. The film,  delivering a complex and nuanced take on this issue of such great  international importance without sacrificing any energy or suspense, is a  contemporary classic, and the winner of four Oscars, for best director,  best screenplay, best editing, and best supporting actor for Benicio  del Toro

Disc Features

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• Restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director  Steven Soderbergh and supervising sound editor and rerecording mixer  Larry Blake (with 5.1 and 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions)
  • Three audio commentaries, featuring Soderbergh and writer Stephen  Gaghan; producers Laura Bickford, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz  and consultants Tim Golden and Craig Chretien; and composer Cliff  Martinez
  • Twenty-five deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Soderbergh and Gaghan
  • Three sets of demonstrations: one on film processing and the look  of the Mexico sequences; one on film editing, with commentary by editor  Stephen Mirrione; and one on dialogue editing
  • Additional unused footage of various scenes, from multiple angles
  • Theatrical trailers and television spots
  • Gallery of trading cards depicting the U.S. Customs canine squad used to detect narcotics and illegal substances
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Manohla Dargis[/list]

• Eclipse Series 31: Three Popular Films by Jean-Pierre Gorin

SYNOPSIS:

Filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin, widely known for his early-seventies collaborations (including Tout va bien)  with Jean-Luc Godard in the Dziga Vertov Group, established his  singular voice with this trio of accomplished, fascinating, and  nontraditional documentaries, made in Southern California after his  relocation there. Poto and Cabengo (1978) is a compelling visit with two young San Diego twins who have invented their own language. In Routine Pleasures  (1986), Gorin conjoins the story of a group of model train enthusiasts  in Del Mar with a meditation on the work of critic and painter Manny  Farber. And My Crasy Life (1992) is an expectation-shredding  exploration of a Samoan gang in Long Beach. With these three films,  Gorin excavates hidden communities that are a part of everyday American  life, and shows himself to be a major chronicler of what is eccentric  and beautiful in our common culture.

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 14/10/2011 10:55:57 PM >

• Post #: 1685
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/10/2011 10:58:21 PM   
    TheGodfather

I like the Godzilla and Belle Du Jour covers, the latter will be nice next to the Ophuls titles.
    Will be getting those two and the Gorin set. Good to see the Kalat commentaries on Godzilla as well, loved his work on the MoC discs.

Post #: 1686
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/10/2011 5:05:40 PM   
    TheGodfather

Saw some pics over at Criterionforum.org of the Kuronenko cover:looks like a lenticular cover.Quite a nice effect (scrool down the page to see the pics) 

(in reply to doncopey1)
    Post #: 1687
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/10/2011 2:34:59 PM   
    elab49

MOre than enough in the Godzilla to double dip I think, although I don't think that's going to be an Eclipse set I'll opt for.

About time to put a Xmas list together though - I'll have to catch up properly on recent releases. I've only picked up the Eclipse Oshima, Secret Sunshine and Phantom Carriage lately. I'm thinking of including the Kurahara.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 1688
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/10/2011 9:50:35 PM   
    TheGodfather

I just read on the Dutch dvd.nl forum that a new 50% sale on bn.com is going to be from 1st - 11th of november

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 1689
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/10/2011 10:45:55 PM   
    elab49

I should maybe draw up my list early!

quote:

Post #: 1690
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/10/2011 10:49:53 PM   
    TheGodfather

Yeah that. Too bad pre-orders are never eligible in that sale... Would be great to have 12 Angry Men and the Three Colours Trilogy in it 

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 1691
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/10/2011 10:49:19 PM   
    TheGodfather

The guy on the dvd.nl forum who said that the sale is on bn.com in november, now said that the sale ends on the 21st instead of the 11th!!
    That means that during the sale we`ll able to get The Rules of the Game and the Three Colours Trilogy

(in reply to doncopey1)
    Post #: 1692
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/10/2011 9:32:46 PM   
    TheGodfather

Dazed and Confused blu-ray @dvdbeaver

Island Of Lost Souls blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Identification of a Woman

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 20/10/2011 9:40:13 PM >

Post #: 1693
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 25/10/2011 11:12:25 PM   
    TheGodfather

Let`s hear it: what is this one supposed to be? 

Post #: 1694
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/10/2011 7:35:51 PM   
    doncopey1

quote:

Wild stab in the dark this one from me. But my guess and I would love this to be true is Martin Ritt's masterpiece HUD. The theme of the contaminated cows is dominant theme and the black cow at the back may be a clue, also a possible metaphor for Newman's personality.

Just a thought would love it to be this.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

Post #: 1695
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 30/10/2011 8:29:18 PM   
    TheGodfather

The Rules Of The Game blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Trois Couleur Trilogy blu-ray @ dvdbeaver:
    Bleu Blanc Rouge

(in reply to doncopey1)
    Post #: 1696
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 30/10/2011 8:31:14 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

Wild stab in the dark this one from me. But my guess and I would love this to be true is Martin Ritt's masterpiece HUD. The theme of the contaminated cows is dominant theme and the black cow at the back may be a clue, also a possible metaphor for Newman's personality.

Just a thought would love it to be this.

This guy @ the Dutch dvd.nl forum said that Bela Tarr`s Satantango is mentioned as well. Why the cows are so thin the pic if that is correct?"Because they are Hungary"

(in reply to doncopey1)
    Post #: 1697
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/11/2011 10:25:48 PM   
    TheGodfather

The Red Shoes blu-ray @ dvdbeaver (comparison between the Criterion blu-ray and 2 other blu-ray versions)

Fanny och Alexander @ dvdbeaver.com

Post #: 1698
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 7/11/2011 11:33:05 PM   
    TheGodfather

My haul in the bn.com sale so far is:

Cries And Whispers - Criterion
    Kuroneko - Criterion BD
    Identification Of A Woman - Criterion BD
    Island Of Lost Souls - Criterion BD
    If... - Criterion BD
    The Times Of Harvey Milk - Criterion BD
    Something Wild - Criterion BD
    Blow Out - Criterion BD
    Three Colours Trilogy - 3 Disc Criterion BD

Also pre-ordered Rushmore and 12 Angry Men blu-ray`s
    Good thing we got that annual christmas bonus coming in with next month`s paycheck...

Post #: 1699
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/11/2011 12:07:43 AM   
    TheGodfather

12 Angry Men @ DVDBeaver

Rushmore @ DVDBeaver

Post #: 1700
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/11/2011 10:34:51 PM   
    TheGodfather

Let`s get those suggestions coming:

After Godzilla we`re gonna get The Godfather vs. King Kong?? 

Post #: 1701
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 23/11/2011 11:01:29 PM   
    TheGodfather

So the drawing from the last post turns out to be (almost certainly) Being John Malkovich !!! great news!

also received the first orders from the bn.com sale today: Island of Lost Souls, If..., Something Wild, Blow Out have all arrived today

Post #: 1702
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 25/11/2011 9:03:23 PM   
    TheGodfather

Eclipse: Serie 30 - Sabu! @ dvdbeaver

The Lady Vanishes blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Branded To Kill blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Tokyo Drifer blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Design for Living blu-ray @ dvdbeaver

Post #: 1703
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/12/2011 8:19:05 PM   
    TheGodfather

Watched yesterday:

12 Angry Men
    I had never seen Sidney Lumet`s feature film debut. Luckily that has changed now. I enjoyed from start to finish.
    Henry Fonda is brilliant as one of the 12 jurors who need to decide wheter or not a young man is guitly of murdering his father. Fonda is the only one of the 12 who believes in his innocence.

The fact that the film largely takes place in one room isn`t a disadvantage (although a lot of people told Lumet before filming that it would be), it works in favour the film. By having it taking place in one room there`s a bit of a claustrofobic atmosphere created that pushes the tension between the jurors to a higher level all the time.That atmosphere and tension gets even higher because of the heat that fills the room, you can almost feel it through your tv screen.

The good thing about the film is the you can form your own opinion about the guilt or innonce of the defendant. Never is it predictable or all laid out for you. This way the film stays interesting untill the ending.

9,0/10

Twelve Angry Men
    As a supplement on the Criterion release there is this version: the almost hour long tv version from 1954 that Lumet based his version on. What is remarkable about this version is that it was made live during an hour of crime tv on American television. Where Lumet made his film in 21 days, director Schaffner made his live and in under one hour (after of course a lot of rehearsals).
    You can feel that it was made in an hour and that it didn`t quite get the work and attention that the feature film version got. The characters aren`t as well developed as in the Lumet version, the tension between the jurors isn`t as present as in the other version and the whole thing felt (understandably) a bit rushed.
    It was nice to see this version for sure but preference goes to Lumet`s version.

7,0/10

Post #: 1704
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/12/2011 11:06:15 PM   
    TheGodfather

From the newsletter:

Post #: 1705
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/12/2011 10:15:37 PM   
    TheGodfather

Today I finally received my Three Colors trilogy blu-ray from the Barnes & Noble sale. Beautiful box!
    quote:

[Reply to Message]

Post #: 1706
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/12/2011 10:34:35 PM   
    TheGodfather

"Last hint before we announce"

(in reply to doncopey1)
    Post #: 1707
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/12/2011 10:40:19 PM   
    elab49

Have they wasted money on Titanic? 

quote:

Post #: 1708
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/12/2011 10:41:54 PM   
    TheGodfather

No, it`s a blu-ray upgrade of A Night To Remember 

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 1709
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/12/2011 10:43:54 PM   
    elab49

THanks heavens for that. Armageddon was quite enough tat for one label. 

quote:

Post #: 1710
    Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI