Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/11/2006 3:39:45 PM   
Pherlygwen

Not here. I pre-ordered both Veronique and Pandora's Box from CD-WOW (using my last two £2 footie vouchers) so it might take a bit before they dispatch. But having Seven Samurai incoming, I can wait!

Next ones I want are Sweetie and The Spirit Of The Beehive... want, want, want - always want!!

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 121
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/11/2006 7:27:18 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Not here. I pre-ordered both Veronique and Pandora's Box from CD-WOW (using my last two £2 footie vouchers) so it might take a bit before they dispatch. But having Seven Samurai incoming, I can wait!

Next ones I want are Sweetie and The Spirit Of The Beehive... want, want, want - always want!!

Nice
talking about Pandora`s Box: here`s the dvdbeaver.com review 

The package looks lovely, that`s for sure:

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 15/11/2006 10:29:07 PM >

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 122
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/11/2006 7:03:41 PM   
TheGodfather

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! Am I a happy camper today. Bicycle thieves has been officially announced on the Criterion site, for a february 13th release 

Special Features

• SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer

• Working with De Sica, a collection of new interviews with screenwriter Suso Cecchi D'Amico, actor Enzo Staiola (Bruno), and film scholar Callisto Cosulich

• Life as It Is, a new program on the history of Italian neorealism in cinema, with scholar Mark Shiel

• Documentary on screenwriter and longtime Vittorio De Sica collaborator Cesare Zavattini, directed by Carlo Lizzani

• Optional English dubbed soundtrack

• New and improved English subtitle translation

Hot damn

Other newly announced titles:
    Green For Danger

49th Parallel

Emperor Jones

Sanders Of The River/Jericho

Body And Soul/Borderline

Proud Valley/The Native Land

Paul Robeson: Portraits Of An Artist

When A Women Ascends The Stairs

The artwork for all of the other releases isn`t released yet

• Post #: 123
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/11/2006 8:16:11 PM   
    Pherlygwen

I want the Naruse film. What I really want is the Naruse Masters of Cinema boxset, but the price of that is a bit too hefty at the moment and I need to order stuff below the £17 limit otherwise customs will be added... So a one-film Criterion release is better for me!

More want-want-want...

Post #: 124
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/11/2006 8:50:46 AM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

I want the Naruse film. What I really want is the Naruse Masters of Cinema boxset, but the price of that is a bit too hefty at the moment and I need to order stuff below the £17 limit otherwise customs will be added... So a one-film Criterion release is better for me!

More want-want-want...

Where are you from, if you get hit by customs?? if you order the Naruse box set from either HMV (like I did) or cdwow than you won`t get customs on it
    Can`t wait for the MoC - Naruse set as well

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 125
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/11/2006 4:40:04 PM   
    Pherlygwen

I don't live within the European Union so I will unfortunately get hit on anything over approx. £17, simple as that. At least if I have it sent directly to me... Doesn't matter from which country.

Post #: 126
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/11/2006 9:14:24 PM   
    Jackie Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Criterion seem to be upping the quality of their releases yet again,some outstanding packages lately.The Double Life Of Veronique  has what sounds like an incredible amount of quality extras.Never seen it before and sadly had to miss a screening of it recently  but I'll pick this up at some point

I'm a huge admirer of Kieslowski's work, The Double Life Of Veronique is arguably his finest hour although Dekalog is still widely regarded as his masterpiece.It's certainly his most profound piece of work,worth checking out if you've yet to see it.Veronique is a much more accessible movie mainly due to the wonderful Irene Jacob who is so endearing playing out both her roles.The Criterion version contains all the short films as extras which are a wonderful addition to an already amazing package, i seriously doubt you're gonna be disappointed.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 127
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/11/2006 7:25:10 PM   
    Jasiri

I'm very happy,even though it's one of the ones that BFI are bringing out.I've got my fingers crossed Criterion will follows this up with more,a box set was hinted at a while ago so we might get another couple but hopefully they won't double up on anymore of the upcoming BFI or MoC,it's not as if there's a shortage of unreleased Naruse.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie Boy

quote:

Criterion seem to be upping the quality of their releases yet again,some outstanding packages lately.The Double Life Of Veronique  has what sounds like an incredible amount of quality extras.Never seen it before and sadly had to miss a screening of it recently  but I'll pick this up at some point

I'm a huge admirer of Kieslowski's work, The Double Life Of Veronique is arguably his finest hour although Dekalog is still widely regarded as his masterpiece.It's certainly his most profound piece of work,worth checking out if you've yet to see it.Veronique is a much more accessible movie mainly due to the wonderful Irene Jacob who is so endearing playing out both her roles.The Criterion version contains all the short films as extras which are a wonderful addition to an already amazing package, i seriously doubt you're gonna be disappointed.

I've lost count of the number of times The Double Life has been recommended to me but I've just never got round to it even though I've had ample opportunity,really wanted to make the screening but for once it was circumstances out with my control that stopped me seeing it.I'm going to make a point of borrowing the R2 so I can see what I think of it,there's a ridiculous amount of films I want to buy so it's more sensible to do that first.

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
    Post #: 128
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/11/2006 7:41:15 PM   
    Pherlygwen

quote:

I've lost count of the number of times The Double Life has been recommended to me but I've just never got round to it even though I've had ample opportunity

Ditto, so finally decided to (pre)order it and will try to watch it when I get it rather than shelf it like I do with far too many purchases! The only thing I have watched by Kieslowski is The Three Colours Trilogy, and which absolutely left me wanting for more, so I have got Dekalog too but it's the same with that as with Sátántangó - I need a lot of spare time in one go! Which doesn't come easy at this time of year... !

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 129
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/11/2006 10:09:46 AM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

quote:

I've lost count of the number of times The Double Life has been recommended to me but I've just never got round to it even though I've had ample opportunity

Ditto, so finally decided to (pre)order it and will try to watch it when I get it rather than shelf it like I do with far too many purchases!

I too have read a lot of good stuff about this flick. The three colours trilogy is brilliant and left me wanting more as well.
    So I`m happy that I just received my copy of The Double Life Of Veronique. Will be watching it this week, looking forward to it. The booklet that comes with it looks great as well!

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 130
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/11/2006 5:13:37 PM   
    Pherlygwen

Received my Seven Samurai copy today. A lovely set! Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it for a while as 1) I am waiting for my new projector to arrive and 2) I am going on holiday to Germany and won't be back until next week. So in the meantime I'll visit the German Christmas Markets and drink glühwein (sp?)!

Auf wiedersehen.

Post #: 131
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/11/2006 8:44:31 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

Received my Seven Samurai copy today. A lovely set! Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it for a while as 1) I am waiting for my new projector to arrive and 2) I am going on holiday to Germany and won't be back until next week. So in the meantime I'll visit the German Christmas Markets and drink glühwein (sp?)!

Auf wiedersehen.

Auf wiedersehen and enjoy your time

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 132
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 10/12/2006 7:49:10 PM   
    TheGodfather

The cover of 49th Parallel is up on the Criterion site:

how gorgeous!!!

Post #: 133
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/12/2006 10:15:39 PM   
    themessiah

Can't wait for this.... def on my list for next year....

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"

Post #: 134
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 11/12/2006 10:20:45 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

Can't wait for this.... def on my list for next year....

* agrees

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 135
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/12/2006 9:41:08 AM   
    elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

• Other newly announced titles:
    Green For Danger

49th Parallel

• Green for Danger? So you wait years for it to hit DVD then get 2 at once!! Well that's mine ordered - starring my fave actor, Sim. Pick up Powell and Pressburger while I'm at it. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 136
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 9:56:58 PM   
    Jasiri

Got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collectors set today had a quick look through,big improvement the transfers look clean and sharp and there are some interesting insights from the cast and crew in the booklets.With the commentaries from Stephen Prince and the Toho documentaries as extras it all adds up to a very good package.

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 137
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 10:02:12 PM   
    TheGodfather

Hope I`ll receive mine next week, they were shipped 2 days ago from cdwow 

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 138
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 10:54:56 PM   
    TheGodfather

Just received the Criterion newsletter of this month.
    Anyone has an idea wich film they mean with this pic?

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 139
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 11:03:06 PM   
    Zatoichi

2001: A Space Odyssey?

(Probably not)

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
    "Scully, are you coming on to me?"

Post #: 140
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 11:23:45 PM   
    TheGodfather

that would be kinda awesome, wouldn`t it? 

or would it be 12 Monkey`s??

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 18/1/2007 11:27:20 PM >

(in reply to Zatoichi)
    Post #: 141
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/1/2007 11:30:56 PM   
    Explosion in the Sky

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Just received the Criterion newsletter of this month.
    Anyone has an idea wich film they mean with this pic?

Damnit now I'm racking my brain for classic films that feature primates. How about the original Planet of the Apes? Quest For Fire? (unlikely seeing as that has cavemen not monkeys). It could be 2001.

Ask Jasiri or Foz, they'll know.

EDIT: I think Godfather you might be right, after all I count 12 monkeys in that picture. A deliberate clue maybe?

< Message edited by Explosion in the Sky -- 18/1/2007 11:58:58 PM >

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
    Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

Post #: 142
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 5:29:07 AM   
    R.J.MacReady

Considering how great the (most recent) DVD release of 12 Monkeys is I am sure the clue points to a Chris Marker (marker!) film - Sans Soleil (the sun's finally coming out!). As it is quite short, they may release La Jetée (another Marker film - an inspiration for Gilliam's).

For those interested, the April Criterions I know of are...

Brute Force (1947; Jules Dassin)
    Overlord (1975; Stuart Cooper)
    La Haine (1995; Mathieu Kassovitz)

...and the next Eclipse boxset is rumoured to be documentaries by Louis Malle.
    As a exhaustive ultimate edition of La Haine is available here I will not be purchasing any of these (though Overlord sounds like a forgotten gem).

P.S: My Seven Samurai DVD came today!

< Message edited by R.J.MacReady -- 19/1/2007 5:54:12 AM >

I just locked an open door... strange, yet symbolically compelling.

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
    Post #: 143
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 6:11:00 AM   
    R.J.MacReady

Looking back at criterionforum.com posts from last year, loads of predictions on future Criterion releases have been proven true. Here's several from such sources that haven't been realised yet. Some of these will undoubtedly be released in 2007.
    This is a copy and paste job btw - not my work.

El Topo
    and Holy Mountain (these two have been rumored for a while. It has been confirmed by several sources and there is the possibility of a Jodorowsky set with Fando and Lis and Santa Sangre...)
    several Rossellini films (Isabella Rossellini said that she worked with Criterion on several of her fathers films... seeming as his 100th birthday would be this year, it's possible by the years end)
    A Time for Drunken Horses (someone contacted Bahman Ghobadi's website and they said that Criterion had bought the rights to this film)
    Ivan's Childhood (with recent restoration work done on this picture, it is highly likely as they own the rights... Nostalghia is a probability too, as the rights once belonged to Fox Lorber and Criterion has picked up many of those titles)
    Samuel Fuller's early films (the company who owns the rights to these posted that Criterion was going to release them on their website)
    Several films by Jacque Tati (Parade, Trafic, Jour de Fete, some shorts, others(?). All potentially part of a Tati boxset announced in a Criterion newsletter)
    Hitchcock Silent Films (Most are public domain, and Criterion have expressed interest in adding more Hitchcock to the collection after losing the rights to Notorious, Rebecca, and Spellbound)
    La Notte (Criterion producers have said in interviews that they intend to add this film to the collection and thus complete Antonioni's Malaise Trilogy)
    Before the Revolution (in an interview to mark the release of La Commare Secca on DVD, Bertolucci mentioned that he and Criterion had begun work on restoring)
    W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism and Sweet Movie (Director Dusan Makavejev has said at public appearances that these films are coming to Criterion)
    She's Gotta Have it (Director Spike Lee has said that he has been working to get the rights to the film in Criterion's hands.
    Drunken Angel & I Live in Fear - Linda Hoaglund says in the Throne of Blood liner notes that Criterion had her do subtitles for Drunken Angel & I Live in Fear....
    Eisenstein box set (silents)
    Last Year at Marienbad
    (along with other possible Resnais films)
    Another Nagakawa film (director of Jigoku)
    My Dinner With Andre
    Pigs & Battleships and Intentions Of Murder (Shohei Imamura)
    More re-releases of early Criterions (Salo, Shock Corridor, Andrei Rublev... and possibly The Third Man)

< Message edited by R.J.MacReady -- 19/1/2007 6:24:09 AM >

I just locked an open door... strange, yet symbolically compelling.

(in reply to R.J.MacReady)
    Post #: 144
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 10:27:49 AM   
    Zatoichi

quote:

ORIGINAL: R.J.MacReady

As did mine!

A lovely package.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
    "Scully, are you coming on to me?"

Post #: 145
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 12:07:00 PM   
    MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

quote:

As did mine!

A lovely package.

THE best package of 2006!!!!

My Film Collection:
    http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
    Last 5 films seen
    The Impossible 3.5/5
    Stoker 4/5
    Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
    The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
    All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Zatoichi)
    Post #: 146
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 2:45:07 PM   
    Jasiri

quote:

I am sure the clue points to a Chris Marker (marker!) film - Sans Soleil (the sun's finally coming out!). As it is quite short, they may release La Jetée (another Marker film - an inspiration for Gilliam's).

That would be my guess as well,with Marker,sun & 12 monkeys it points very heavily towards,Sans Soleil & La Jetee.There is a very decent R2 release with these two,I picked it up a while back for about £5 in Fopp.

quote:

Drunken Angel & I Live in Fear - Linda Hoaglund says in the Throne of Blood liner notes that Criterion had her do subtitles for
    Eisenstein box set (silents)
    Another Nagakawa film (director of Jigoku)
    Pigs & Battleships and Intentions Of Murder (Shohei Imamura)

Drunken Angel & I Live in Fear-Two very good and often overlooked films,the BFI editions of both are fine.DA has a bit of flickering but considering the age it's not too bad and I can't see Criterion giving it an extensive restoration,unless Toho themselves have done something with it  I can't see it being a huge improvement.

Eisenstein box set (silents)-They seem to have been shying away from silent  films for a while but given they have already released a Sound Years set I would think this is certain to come at some point.

Another Nagakawa film-When Jigoku was first announced I thought it seemed a strange choice but I suppose it's an important film in the development of modern Japanese horror.The only other film I've seen from him is Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan as this is one of his most famous films I suppose there is a chance it could be that,unlike Jigoku though it's a much more traditional type ghost story.If they can pick up two or three titles cheaply enough I'd think Nakagawa would be a better canditate for eclipse rather than Criterion.

Pigs & Battleships and Intentions Of Murder-In the blog entry about the Eclipse label,Imamura was one of the names along with Naruse,Ozu & Mizoguchi that it mentioned would be appearing both in an Eclipse set and on Criterion,great news as far as I'm concerned as I've run into a brick wall of unavailability with Imamura's films and Pigs & Battleships is the one I most want to see out of his remaining films,closely followed by Insect Woman,Intentions of Murder I would think would be more likely to be part of the Eclipse set now.When they released The Pornographers a few years ago I hoped they would follow it up then with more of his work but had given up hope of it,good to see they haven't forgotten about him and recognise his importance.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

quote:

As did mine!

A lovely package.

THE best package of 2006!!!!

There were quite a few excellent releases in 2006 but I would have agreed with that up until late December and the release of Masters of Cinema's Mikio Naruse Vol.1 box set.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 19/1/2007 9:40:56 PM >

Post #: 147
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 8:09:04 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

Considering how great the (most recent) DVD release of 12 Monkeys is I am sure the clue points to a Chris Marker (marker!) film - Sans Soleil (the sun's finally coming out!). As it is quite short, they may release La Jetée (another Marker film - an inspiration for Gilliam's).

that makes sinse

Already got that UK 3 disc of La Haine as well, so Criterion needs to do something really, really special in order for me to get that.
    Brute force sounds interesting, I`ll keep my eyes on that one

Post #: 148
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 10:00:34 PM   
    TheGodfather

3 new releases are announced:

Brute Force
    Special Features
    #New, restored high-definition digital transfer
    #Audio commentary by film noir specialists Alain Silver and James Ursini
    #A new interview with Paul Mason, author of Capturing the Media: Prison Discourse in Popular Culture
    #Theatrical trailer
    #Stills gallery

Overlord
    Special features:
    #Audio commentary featuring director Stuart Cooper and actor Brian Stirner
    #Mining the Archive, a new video featuring Imperial War Museum film archivists detailing the war footage used in the film
    #“Capa Influences Cooper,” a new photo essay featuring Cooper on photographer Robert Capa
    #Cameramen at War, the British Ministry of Information’s 1943 film tribute to newsreel and service film unit cameramen
    #Germany Calling, a 1941 British Ministry of Information propaganda film, clips of which appear in Overlord
    #Journals from two D-day soldiers, read by Brian Stirner Theatrical trailer
    #English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    #PLUS: A new essay by critic Kent Jones, a short history of the Imperial War Museum, and excerpts from the Overlord novelization, by Cooper and Christopher Hudson
    #Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    #PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Michael Atkinson, and more!

La Haine
    Special Features
    #New English-language audio commentary by writer-director Mathieu Kassovitz
    #Optional Dolby Digital 5.1 track
    #Video introduction by Jodie Foster
    #Social Dynamite, a new video featurette on the film’s banlieue setting, including interviews with sociologists Sophie Body-Gendrot, Jeffrey Fagan, and William Kornblum
    #Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos
    #Theatrical trailers
    #New and improved English subtitle translation
    #PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau and notes by acclaimed director Costa-Gavras
    #and MORE!!

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 149
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 19/1/2007 10:18:45 PM   
    TheGodfather

And my weekend has just been made: Bicycle Thieves is going to be a digipack!!!

hell yeah!!!

and more digipacks:

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 19/1/2007 10:22:54 PM >

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 150
    Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI