Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/9/2006 6:34:53 PM   
Boring Prophet

That's actually a good price, though.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 91
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/9/2006 11:44:22 PM   
themessiah

It is, although would be great to see the newer versions of some of the films tho!!

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 92
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/9/2006 10:05:28 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

1 Day to go until the new Seven Samurai 3 discer is released! Hope CD-WOW pull their finger out this time! I would'nt mind getting it in my mits for the W/E.

*EDIT* I'm excited now! Its been despatched, so I should get it in a couple of days! YeeeeeHaaaa! Never been so excited about a DVD release in years!

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 4/9/2006 12:46:38 PM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 93
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/9/2006 5:24:38 PM   
Tyler_D

*PULLS HAIR OUT* The first criterion I DONT order from cdwow because I wanted it early, gets shipped early!

I thought movietyme would ship early, unlike CDWOW's usual delays on new release but movietyme hasnt even shipped mine yet!!!!

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 94
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 4/9/2006 8:22:45 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

Its been despatched, so I should get it in a couple of days! YeeeeeHaaaa! Never been so excited about a DVD release in years!

I got my email to,like I said cdwow have never let me down.

Post #: 95
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 6/9/2006 11:42:17 PM   
Jasiri

Got Seven Samurai today and it's superb.Very sharp,good contrast and only noticed minimal defects,a bit of flickering when Seiji Miyaguchi's character comes back through the mist from getting one of the guns and a couple of moments that are a bit scratchy,the same scene with Miyaguchi when he sits down to sleep and right at the start when the bandits come over the hill.
Other than that it looks fantastic,the screen captures on dvdbeaver don't do it justice.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 96
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 7/9/2006 8:44:02 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Yeah, got mine yesterday too, and had a quick look. Quality seems really good considering how old the film is. I have seen alot worse prints of the film and they've done a good job cleaning it up.
It comes in a really nice package too with a glorious booklet!

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 97
New Seven Samuari DVD - 12/9/2006 2:20:42 AM   
themessiah

So... you fellas have had a few days to see what the new Seven Samurai Criterion version is going to be like? Although I think I know the outcome as I have already my copy (mainly because of money problems)... Are there any problems with the DVD at all... or is it that perfect; I don't want to be disappointed now!!!

Post #: 98
RE: New Seven Samuari DVD - 12/9/2006 2:44:51 PM   
badassmofo

ordering it when i get paid on friday cannot wait. only other kirosawa criterion edition i have is Ikiru and that nis a really balls out great set and the features list for this one actually makes me drool lol, cannot wait

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 99
RE: New Seven Samuari DVD - 12/9/2006 4:33:00 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

So... you fellas have had a few days to see what the new Seven Samurai Criterion version is going to be like? Although I think I know the outcome as I have already my copy (mainly because of money problems)... Are there any problems with the DVD at all... or is it that perfect; I don't want to be disappointed now!!!

Sorry I haven't had a spare 3 1/2 hours to sit down and watch it properly yet, but I shall post here when I have!

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 100
RE: New Seven Samuari DVD - 12/9/2006 5:04:38 PM   
Macphist0

Mine came on the same movietyme said they dispatched it....so I guess they're just late with the e-mailing, it came on the actual release date for, the 5h.

Its a great set, no doubt about it, essential if you call yourself a true movie collecter.

Post #: 101
RE: New Seven Samuari DVD - 12/9/2006 8:17:41 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

The film itself looks incredible.Like I said above the screen captures on dvdbeaver don't do the image quality justice,it's really that good.The few flaws that are there are very brief and pretty faint for the most part.
Of the extras I've watched the It is Wonderful to Create documentary,as usual with these a lot of great insights and interviews,you'll have seen these before for other films so know what to expect.
Have only seen a tiny bit of what is for me the most intriguing extra My Life in Cinema,tried to watch it but couldn't get peace.Wasn't sure what to expect from Oshima he's always seemed a very abrasive character but this is from 1993 and he must be nearing his 60's and appears to have mellowed with age and seems respectful of Kurosawa although they hadn't got talking about Kurosawa's films yet when I put it off so he may still let rip.

Overall an outstanding package,fingers crossed the reissues of Yojimbo and Sanjuro look as good as this.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 102
New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/9/2006 9:38:39 AM   
themessiah

Just found out that a new release of Yojimbo and Sanjuro will be out early to mid 2007.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 103
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/9/2006 2:02:24 PM   
Jasiri

Slightly disappointing that they're going to be so far behind the speculative schedule but it will be well worth the wait if the image quality come close to that of Seven Samurai.I take it there are parts of Toho's Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful To Create series that cover these films,so at the very least we should get these as extras.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 104
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/9/2006 2:47:51 PM   
themessiah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri
I take it there are parts of Toho's Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful To Create series that cover these films,so at the very least we should get these as extras.

I guess there will be.... will try and find some more information in the next few days.  

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 105
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 2/10/2006 10:17:59 PM   
=JD=

Ordered seven samurai 2 weeks ago from movietyme......got an email last weds saying its been shipped and it still hasnt come!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 106
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 4/10/2006 11:56:39 PM   
themessiah

Next pay check, that little boxset is mine....

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 107
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 17/10/2006 9:25:51 PM   
Jasiri

Good news on the Yojimbo & Sanjuro reissues,almost back on schedule and coming in January.

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/connections.asp?id=63

Available in a set or individually,both have the It is Wonderful to Create documentaries and commentaries by Stephen Prince.Will be picking these up without a doubt but going to hold off from pre-ordering them,too many problems cropping up with their releases lately,wrong sized slipcase for Rohmer set,Brazil booklets missing and more seriously the Jigoku disc are apparently faulty,skipping part of a scene.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 108
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 17/10/2006 9:45:42 PM   
TheGodfather

Yeah I saw it on another forum. Those covers are bloody awesome. Will pick them up for sure 

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 109
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 17/10/2006 9:51:15 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

Good news on the Yojimbo & Sanjuro reissues,almost back on schedule and coming in January.

Available in a set or individually,both have the It is Wonderful to Create documentaries and commentaries by Stephen Prince.Will be picking these up without a doubt but going to hold off from pre-ordering them,too many problems cropping up with their releases lately,wrong sized slipcase for Rohmer set,Brazil booklets missing and more seriously the Jigoku disc are apparently faulty,skipping part of a scene.

SEXY

"In Heaven, Everything Is Fine"

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 110
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 17/10/2006 11:24:49 PM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

Beautiful.I'll be snapping those babies up.My Seven Samurai set was lost in the post and have to wait for a replacement to arrive now.7 weeks now...bastards.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 111
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 18/10/2006 10:23:56 PM   
Cuchulainn

It's arrived.You can all rest easy...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 112
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/10/2006 10:55:29 AM   
TheGodfather

They come in a box as well. You can either purchase that or the releases by them selves.
Here`s the cover art for the box:

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 113
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/10/2006 5:40:58 PM   
Cuchulainn

That's great too...I'm thinking of picking up Throne Of Blood...Is this going to be re-released in a super-duper edition too or am I safe enough?

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 114
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 19/10/2006 6:45:49 PM   
Jasiri

You're safe with Throne of Blood,the picture quality is fine on the current one.The only thing that stops it from being perfect is the It is Wonderful to Create documentary isn't on it.The only other Criterion release of a Kurosawa film that's likely to get a reissue is the brilliant High & Low.At the moment the BFI release is the best of a bad bunch.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 115
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 1/11/2006 4:10:29 PM   
themessiah

Been looking at this Yojimbo and Sanjuro boxset and it only costs about £35 at the moment via the Criterion wesbite; so hopefully it will be far cheaper when it gets released.....

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 116
RE: New Yojimbo & Sanjuro - 8/11/2006 1:35:54 PM   
TheGodfather

found this on the Criterion forum. don`t pay attention to the dents etc, look around them
The Double Life Of Veronique and Pandora`s Box will be digipacks 

oh yes! can`t wait for The Double life Of Veronique  Got it on pre-order from dvdpacific for a long time already

Also, there is the "complete" cover for the Grey Gardens box:

My copy of The Fallen Idol (released yesterday) is shipped by pacific

The Double Life Of Veronique review @ dvdbeaver!!!
The pics from the dvdbeaver review from The Double Life Of Veronique

My God that looks great again! can`t wait for this to arrive!

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 8/11/2006 1:40:18 PM >

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 117
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 9/11/2006 11:01:47 PM   
Jackie Boy

Just ordered this beauty.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the definitive Munich Film Museum restoration
- Four different musical scores, each with its own unique stylistic interpretation of the film
- Audio commentary by film scholars Thomas Elsaesser and Mary Ann Doane
- Louise Brooks: Looking for Lulu, a 1998 documentary
- Lulu in Berlin (48 minutes), a rare 1971 interview with Brooks by vérité documentarian Richard Leacock
- A new video interview with Leacock
- A new interview with G. W. Pabst's son, Michael
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A book including Kenneth Tynan's famous essay "The Girl in the Black Helmet," a chapter from Louise Brooks's

evocative memoir discussing her relationship with Pabst, and a new essay by film critic J. Hoberman

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 118
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/11/2006 8:31:01 PM   
Jasiri

Criterion seem to be upping the quality of their releases yet again,some outstanding packages lately.The Double Life Of Veronique  has what sounds like an incredible amount of quality extras.Never seen it before and sadly had to miss a screening of it recently  but I'll pick this up at some point

Another upcoming release.

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Audio commentary by renowned film scholar, critic, and festival programmer Tony Rayns
• Au hasard Bresson, a half-hour documentary about the director, including behind-the-scenes footage of Robert Bresson directing Mouchette
• "Traveling,” a segment from the cine-magazine TV series Cinéma, featuring on-set interviews with Bresson and actors Nadine Nortier and Jean-Claude Guilbert
• Original theatrical trailer, cut by Jean-Luc Godard
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• Plus: A new essay by writer Robert Polito

Very tempted to upgrade although the R2 is pretty decent in terms of transfer.Would like to see the Bresson interview and behind the scenes footage and Tony Rayns's commentaries are always interesting and add to the films.
When I first saw Mouchette it wasn't too sure about it but it grew on me,one thing I really like is that although it's probably Bresson's most unremittingly bleak work he throws in that one brief scene of happiness on the dodgems,where he breaks his austere style and allows his models to convey emotion.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 13/11/2006 8:32:16 PM >

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 119
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/11/2006 9:00:39 PM   
TheGodfather

My copy of The Double Life Of Veronique has been shipped by dvdpacific!!! 
Can`t wait to receive it

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI