Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box - 15/8/2006 6:31:21 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Yeah, looking forward to this one! And to The Double Life Of Véronique... and Sweetie... and The Spirit of The Beehive... and the re-release of Amarcord... oh dear!!

oh yeah I know what you`re talking about (and probably everybody else does as well)
Looking forward to The Double Life Of Veronique as well!

About this one: sounds and looks awesome!! The specs as well as the cover. And that`s a little surprise to be honest. Didn`t think too much of the new logo at first, but if they make it as nice as on this cover, it`s quite ok

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 61
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box - 15/8/2006 6:55:56 PM   
TheGodfather

Ok. Talking about The Double Life Of Veronique: here we go:

Other new upcoming release:

brilliant covers once again
will be getting all 3 of them, obviously

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 62
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/8/2006 10:12:30 PM   
Jasiri

Good to see Criterion releasing a silent film something they don't seem to do very often and another Pabst with Louis Brooks following on from MoC announcing Diary of a Lost Girl. 

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 63
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/8/2006 8:54:32 PM   
directorscut

It looks like Criterion have knocked Seven Samurai out of the park: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/sevensamurai.htm

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 64
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/8/2006 9:11:36 PM   
Jasiri

I take back what I said before about not being in any hurry to rewatch the film itself.The print looks amazingly sharp and really strong blacks and whites.The My Life in Cinema thing can wait. 

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 65
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 20/8/2006 10:51:20 PM   
Tyler_D

For all you people not wanting to click the DVD Beaver link, here's the packaging -

Everything about this set looks great, cant wait to check it out!!!!! Pleeeeease ship early Movietyme

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 66
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 21/8/2006 4:25:53 PM   
TheGodfather

Excellent! can`t wait for this one to be shipped by Pacific. Hope they ship early. Gonna read the review from dvdbeaver later on, but that pic looks as promising as hell!

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 67
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 22/8/2006 3:29:15 PM   
themessiah

Nice oh Nice oh Nice  I'm thanking the cinema Gods for Criterion.

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"

Post #: 68
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 26/8/2006 8:37:34 PM   
=JD=

Just curious as to where to cheapest place to get the 3 disk Seven Samurai is?? Best places i've found on the web so far are:

http://www.dvdpacific.com                          $33.83

http://www.movietyme.com                         $41.38

http://www.amazon.com                              $34.99

If anyone finds it any cheaper, i'd very much appreciate it

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 69
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/8/2006 12:46:14 PM   
TheGodfather

Seven Samurai re-release review @ dvdtalk.com

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 70
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/8/2006 1:41:03 PM   
Jackie Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Seven Samurai re-release review @ dvdtalk.com

I can hardly wait for this now,never mind all the extras,that transfer's awesome!

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

Post #: 71
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/8/2006 2:27:46 PM   
Zatoichi

Oh. My. God.

It shall be mine!!

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 72
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/8/2006 2:54:53 PM   
=JD=

http://www.dvdpacific.com       Wins on price with the cheapest box set + fastest delivery!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 73
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 27/8/2006 3:47:54 PM   
Tyler_D

Customs risk though? Im sticking with movietyme as theirs a good chance of them shipping early

Oh and a quick WOOOOOOO for the great review over at dvd talk, Ive been waiting for their take on the disc and its gone and got me even more excited.

< Message edited by Tyler_D -- 27/8/2006 3:50:28 PM >

(in reply to =JD=)
Post #: 74
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 10:30:23 AM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyler_D

Customs risk though? Im sticking with movietyme as theirs a good chance of them shipping early

Oh and a quick WOOOOOOO for the great review over at dvd talk, Ive been waiting for their take on the disc and its gone and got me even more excited.

I never had any customs problems with dvdpafic as they always write a lower price on the package than the real price
And they ship early as well!

Just saw the link for the dvdtalk review yesterday and posted it here quickly. Gonna read the full review later today (hadn`t had any time yesterday)

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 75
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 3:20:04 PM   
Pherlygwen

Well, parcels from DVD Pacific always get stopped here! Yes, they always put a lower price on them, but the post/customs here are well aware of that. $5.49 for a BIG parcel containing 2-3 DVDs or CDs?! I think not. And that seems to be what the customs think too! So they are always stopped here, regardless.

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Post #: 76
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 4:12:38 PM   
themessiah

I've never had problems with them either...

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 77
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 5:05:28 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Well, parcels from DVD Pacific always get stopped here! Yes, they always put a lower price on them, but the post/customs here are well aware of that. $5.49 for a BIG parcel containing 2-3 DVDs or CDs?! I think not. And that seems to be what the customs think too! So they are always stopped here, regardless.

yeah I heard that from people on other forums.
Luckily, the Dutch customs doesn`t work like that yet. The limit is € 22,-. But if the price on the package is under that price, they don`t charge you. Unless it`s like 10 dvd`s or something of course
Then you get a form send to you wich you need to fill out and send them an invoice of the order.

Anyhoo: Does anyone if the re-release of Brazil comes in a digipack, like the Seven Samurai re-release?

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 78
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 8:50:39 PM   
TheGodfather

Playtime re-release @ dvdtalk.com 

Jigoku @ dvdbeaver 

< Message edited by TheGodfather -- 28/8/2006 9:00:59 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 9:16:43 PM   
Tyler_D

Not heard much about Playtime (other than the original release was OOP) but on the strength of that review alone, I may have to invest!

Post #: 80
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 9:18:13 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyler_D

Not heard much about Playtime (other than the original release was OOP) but on the strength of that review alone, I may have to invest!

yeah the review sounds great, but I have seen one Mr. Hulot movie before and didn`t like it at all

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 81
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 9:22:13 PM   
Jasiri

Jigoku looks ok,a bit grainy but from memory it looks a lot better than my Japanese disc.Sharper and no mention of it being badly marked in places.

Post #: 82
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 28/8/2006 11:00:24 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

Jigoku looks ok,a bit grainy but from memory it looks a lot better than my Japanese disc.Sharper and no mention of it being badly marked in places.

Judging from the caps it looks a lot like the superior presentations of Asian films from that period. The grain structure is down to the film stock. In fact, looking as the caps on beaver it has the around same level of grain as Floating Weeds, which I thought looked exceptional on my TV. Grain in still captures does look more intrusive than it does when moving. In a still image grain is an imperfection. On a moving image it adds life.

It looks like a very interesting film. I'll add it to The List.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 28/8/2006 11:02:35 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 83
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 29/8/2006 6:28:14 PM   
Pherlygwen

Just a quick question to those of you living in the UK:

When ordering from CD-WOW's US site... is that customs safe or do you get stung?

And yes, this has to do with the new re-release of Seven Samurai, so not totally OT!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 84
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 29/8/2006 8:22:00 PM   
TheGodfather

Brazil single disc re-issue comparison @ dvdbeaver

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 85
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 30/8/2006 1:47:52 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

Nice... Double Life of Veronique being released as a Criterion? I've spent ages debating buying the Artificial Eye version. So thats another Kieslowski film for the wishlist.

Another upcoming Criterion (October) you guys have yet to mention is Clean, Shaven.

The original dvd has been out-of-print for years so it's about time this amazing film by Lodge Kerrigan gets the treatment it deserves. It stars Peter Greene (Zed in Pulp Fiction) as a schizophrenic who, after being released from a mental institution, tries to track down his estranged daughter. A very raw and compelling journey into a disturbed individuals mind. I can't recommend it enough, though it's certainly not for everyone.

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

Post #: 86
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 1/9/2006 1:34:10 AM   
Jasiri

Got a spare $650 burning a hole in your pocket ?

50 YEARS OF JANUS FILMS: BOX SET TITLES • ALEXANDER NEVSKY (1938), Sergei Eisenstein • ASHES AND DIAMONDS (1958), Andrzej Wajda • L'AVVENTURA (1960), Michelangelo Antonioni • BALLAD OF A SOLDIER (1959), Grigori Chukhrai • BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946), Jean Cocteau • BLACK ORPHEUS (1959), Marcel Camus • BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945), David Lean • THE FALLEN IDOL (1948), Carol Reed • FIRES ON THE PLAIN (1959), Kon Ichikawa • FISTS IN THE POCKET (1965), Marco Bellocchio • FLOATING WEEDS (1959), Yasujiro Ozu • FORBIDDEN GAMES (1952), René Clement • THE 400 BLOWS (1959), François Truffaut • GRAND ILLUSION (1937), Jean Renoir • HÄXAN (1922), Benjamin Christensen • IKIRU (1952), Akira Kurosawa • THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST (1952), Anthony Asquith • IVAN THE TERRIBLE, PART II (1958), Sergei Eisenstein • LE JOUR SE LÈVE (1939), Marcel Carné • JULES AND JIM (1962), François Truffaut • KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS (1949), Robert Hamer • KNIFE IN THE WATER (1962), Roman Polanski • THE LADY VANISHES (1938), Alfred Hitchcock • THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP (1943), Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger • LOVES OF A BLONDE (1965), Milos Forman • M (1931), Fritz Lang • M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY (1953), Jacques Tati • MISS JULIE (1951), Alf Sjöberg • PANDORA'S BOX (1929), G.W. Pabst • PÉPÉ LE MOKO (1937), Jean Duvivier • IL POSTO (1961), Ermanno Olmi • PYGMALION (1938), Anthony Asquith • RASHOMON (1950), Akira Kurosawa • RICHARD III (1955), Laurence Olivier • THE RULES OF THE GAME (1939), Jean Renoir • SEVEN SAMURAI (1954), Akira Kurosawa • THE SEVENTH SEAL (1957), Ingmar Bergman • THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (1973), Víctor Erice • LA STRADA (1954), Federico Fellini • SUMMERTIME (1955), David Lean • THE THIRD MAN (1949), Carol Reed • THE 39 STEPS (1935), Alfred Hitchcock • UGETSU (1953), Kenji Mizoguchi • UMBERTO D. (1952), Vittorio De Sica • THE VIRGIN SPRING (1960), Ingmar Bergman • VIRIDIANA (1961), Luis Buñuel • THE WAGES OF FEAR (1953), Henri-Georges Clouzot • THE WHITE SHEIK (1952), Federico Fellini • WILD STRAWBERRIES (1957), Ingmar Bergman • THREE DOCUMENTARIES: THE GREAT CHASE (1962), THE LOVE GODDESSES (1965), and PAUL ROBESON: TRIBUTE TO AN ARTIST (1979), Saul J. Turell

Most interesting thing about this for me is the inclusion of Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain.This was one of the films from Ichikawa that Criterion released on laserdisc none of which have so far appeared on dvd but this would suggest a release of this is coming.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 1/9/2006 9:11:41 AM >

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 87
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/9/2006 11:03:33 AM   
themessiah

It does look fantastic that boxset.... although I wonder if it is the newer version of Fallen Idol whcih can be found in the boxset. Shame about the price also... will have to safe up now...

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 88
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/9/2006 4:22:10 PM   
Pherlygwen

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

It does look fantastic that boxset.... although I wonder if it is the newer version of Fallen Idol whcih can be found in the boxset. Shame about the price also... will have to safe up now...

... and then I own half of the films on Criterion already. But lovely box set indeed!

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 89
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 3/9/2006 12:12:14 PM   
themessiah

Agreed, hopefully some more information will appear..... possibly a review.

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI