Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/6/2006 8:49:48 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: zeppelin

Cheers for the info Jasiri,, might just have to try this one out.

Even in terms of 1960's Japanese film it pretty strange but if you're not put off by slow and weird it's worth a look.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 31
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/6/2006 12:39:29 PM   
Zatoichi

quote:

The time difference will be down to the speedup between NTSC and PAL.

Isn't there a longer version of the film though than the 190 minute cut we've got over here?

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 32
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/6/2006 1:18:35 PM   
Jasiri

As far as I know it's only longer because the Criterion has an intermission that the BFI doesn't,that and the NTSC to PAL speedup account for the time difference.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 33
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 30/7/2006 1:49:11 PM   
Jackie Boy

Already own the Criterion 3 Disc version of Brazil,so i'll probably leave that one well enough alone as it only seems to feature the new hi-def digital transfer but the re-release of Seven Samurai does look like an essential purchase,what with all those lovely extras.

Is there any info on older out of print titles such as Robocop & Life Of Brian? It's a pity they're not concentrating on these instead of re-releasing titles still in print.

As it is,i'll probably order Samurai along with Videodrome,just hoping they don't re-release it again anytime soon,jeeez!

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 34
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 30/7/2006 6:23:10 PM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

Some rather interesting viewings for fans of probably the best DVD label on the planet. Checkout the new designs for the icons also....

Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai": 3-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57572

Federico Fellini's "Amarcord": 2-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57574

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil": Single-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57576

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil": 3-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57580

Victor Erice's "The Spirit of the Beehive"

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57582

Nobuo Nakagawa's "Jigoku"

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57584

Any thoughts... the new Seven Samurai DVD is a def for me thinks....

Only noticed this thread this morning.I wouldn't have started the other one had I seen it.Apologies dude.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 35
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 12:03:53 AM   
themessiah

I might leave getting the new Seven Samurai DVD set for a while (money problems) although this still looks interesting....

• SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES: New, restored high-definition digital transfer

• Tokyo-Ga (1985, 92 mins), legendary director Wim Wenders’ tribute to Yasujiro Ozu

• Audio commentary by Richard Peña, program director of New York’s Film Society of Lincoln Center

• A booklet featuring new essays by critic Michael Atkinson and renowned Japanese-film historian Donald Richie

• New and improved English subtitle translation

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
  • Post #: 36
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 9:48:52 AM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie Boy

Already own the Criterion 3 Disc version of Brazil,so i'll probably leave that one well enough alone as it only seems to feature the new hi-def digital transfer but the re-release of Seven Samurai does look like an essential purchase,what with all those lovely extras.

Is there any info on older out of print titles such as Robocop & Life Of Brian? It's a pity they're not concentrating on these instead of re-releasing titles still in print.

As it is,i'll probably order Samurai along with Videodrome,just hoping they don't re-release it again anytime soon,jeeez!

also: the Brazil re-release has an anamorphic transfer, while the old one hasn`t

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
    Brett: What?
    Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
    Post #: 37
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 10:01:31 AM   
    Jasiri

quote:

Tokyo-Ga (1985, 92 mins), legendary director Wim Wenders’ tribute to Yasujiro Ozu

Audio commentary by Richard Peña, program director of New York’s Film Society of Lincoln Center

booklet featuring new essays by critic Michael Atkinson and renowned Japanese-film historian Donald Richie

Nice extras and arguably Ozu greatest film although I probably prefer Tokyo Twilight.What I would really like to see from Criterion is a release along the lines of the Japanese boxset of his silent films.As far as I know a large amount of Japanese silent film was lost during bombing in the Pacific War but it seems quite a few of Ozu's survived.

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 38
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 10:10:37 AM   
    themessiah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri
    As far as I know a large amount of Japanese silent film was lost during bombing in the Pacific War but it seems quite a few of Ozu's survived.

I was in Italy in October last year and saw 6 of Ozu's silent films (favourite was Woman of Tokyo, mainly because of a back story about socks) and heard that possibly 'Masterworks' were picking up the DVD rights, although I would rather have Criterion pick them up really.

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 39
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 10:33:05 AM   
    Jasiri

I've only seen two of his silent films A Story of Floating Weeds and Inn in Tokyo.The Japanese boxset has 11 films on it if I remember rightly and there are another 2 or 3 on another boxset with some of his first talkies.

Forgot to ask what other ones did you see ?

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 31/7/2006 4:55:10 PM >

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 40
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 3:54:33 PM   
    Jackie Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

also: the Brazil re-release has an anamorphic transfer, while the old one hasn`t

It'll be a stunning transfer no doubt but it's still not enough to make me double dip dude.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
    Post #: 41
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 4:11:21 PM   
    directorscut

Late Spring is a very nice DVD though from what I've seen of it Wim Wenders' film is as dull as dishwater.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 42
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 5:32:43 PM   
    Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

though from what I've seen of it Wim Wenders' film is as dull as dishwater.

Agree for the most part but the inclusion of interviews with Chishu Ryu and Yuharu Atsuta make it pretty much unmissible for Ozu enthusiasts.

(in reply to directorscut)
    Post #: 43
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 7:35:25 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

quote:

It'll be a stunning transfer no doubt but it's still not enough to make me double dip dude.

fair enough Don`t own the movie yet so I`ll be getting it

And I watched the original Criterion release of Seven Samurai today. Damn, it`s a good thing they are re-releasing it: this transfer is pretty sh*t for a Criterion

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
    Post #: 44
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 31/7/2006 10:32:25 PM   
    Jackie Boy

quote:

quote:

quote:

fair enough Don`t own the movie yet so I`ll be getting it

That's cool man,you're in for a real treat.

Post #: 45
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 1/8/2006 4:48:47 PM   
    themessiah

quote:

And I watched the original Criterion release of Seven Samurai today. Damn, it`s a good thing they are re-releasing it: this transfer is pretty sh*t for a Criterion

You should see the BFI's version... that is shocking!!

Post #: 46
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 2/8/2006 1:30:05 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

quote:

You should see the BFI's version... that is shocking!!

I guess I won`t

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 47
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/8/2006 10:59:03 AM   
    themessiah

Just something different for our upadating of the Criterion films....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pO2b1_jAMyc

Post #: 48
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/8/2006 11:36:32 AM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

Just something different for our upadating of the Criterion films....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pO2b1_jAMyc

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 49
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 12/8/2006 10:20:02 PM   
    MuckyMuckMan

Seven Samurai is now available to pre-order on CD-WOW for £26.99. Is there anywhere cheaper? Although I'll be using a £2 voucher so I'll get it for £24.99 if I use CD-WOW.

My Film Collection:
    http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
    Last 5 films seen
    The Impossible 3.5/5
    Stoker 4/5
    Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
    The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
    All is Lost 5/5

Post #: 50
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/8/2006 8:09:51 AM   
    Jasiri

It's about $35 on Dvd Pacific and Amazon but once you add postage,it will only work out a couple of quid cheaper so I've went with cdwow because usually it's quicker.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
    Post #: 51
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/8/2006 6:00:54 PM   
    Pherlygwen

quote:

It's about $35 on Dvd Pacific and Amazon but once you add postage,it will only work out a couple of quid cheaper so I've went with cdwow because usually it's quicker.

I don't know... I am tempted to use CD-WOW too, but only ONCE in my life have I experienced a pre-order from CD-WOW to turn up before several weeks after release date! I still have DVDs on 'Pre-order' at CD-WOW which came out in July...

Another thing... When I look at the specs of the new Seven Samurai pre-order at Amazon.com, it says Number of discs: 1. ???
    Surely that can't be correct? It's the 3-discer, isn't it?

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 52
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/8/2006 9:01:57 PM   
    Tyler_D

Never seen the Seven Samurai but  have heard nothing but good things. As a bit of a criterion collector I have been tempted many a time to order the original release but with the long rumored rerelease I always resisted temptation. Not long til its release and theirs no chance im missing this one!

Just pre-ordered it over @ Movietyme for £22.49 (50p coupon). They ship to UK free and most of the times ship items ahead of release :) 

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 53
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 13/8/2006 9:19:02 PM   
    Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

I don't know... I am tempted to use CD-WOW too, but only ONCE in my life have I experienced a pre-order from CD-WOW to turn up before several weeks after release date! I still have DVDs on 'Pre-order' at CD-WOW which came out in July...

Jinx,I think you should order from somewhere else.

I've only used cdwow a couple of times before for pre-orders and never had a problem........so far.

Oh and yes it's 3 discs.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 13/8/2006 9:20:19 PM >

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 54
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/8/2006 2:09:27 PM   
    Pherlygwen

quote:

Jinx,I think you should order from somewhere else.

I've only used cdwow a couple of times before for pre-orders and never had a problem........so far.

Oh and yes it's 3 discs.

Hehe, I think it must rather be you who are LUCKY! Almost everyone I know have had the same problem with pre-orders from CD-WOW regardless in which country they live. Having said that, CD-WOW is probably my #1 retailer, or have been for the past year or so anyway - I am getting more and more into Amazon these days, both the US and UK site - and normally their good prices compensate for their often late deliveries (only on pre-orders though) as I am never usually in a hurry to get a DVD in the first place. I have far too many unseen ones sitting on my shelf!!

Anyway. I still went for Amazon.com this time as their price, including postage, turned out cheaper than CD-WOW and knowing my history with pre-orders from CD-WOW I will probably receive the stuff from Amazon.com faster! So took the chance it's the 3-discer and that the specs on their website are incorrect. I can barely wait for this one!!

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 55
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/8/2006 2:36:38 PM   
    TheGodfather

quote:

I went with dvdpacific to order this one. It`s like  Pherlygwen says: pre-ordering  @ cdwow sucks. At pacific, I always get my stuff way before the release date. And delivery takes about the same (5-7 days)

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 56
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/8/2006 7:31:54 PM   
    Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pherlygwen

Hehe, I think it must rather be you who are LUCKY! Almost everyone I know have had the same problem with pre-orders from CD-WOW regardless in which country they live.

Oh well maybe I have just been lucky,hopefully my luck will hold but if I have to wait I have to wait.I'm not in any hurry to watch the film but dying to see the My Life In Cinema thing with Kurosawa and Oshima,just such an odd pairing.For all his individuality Kurosawa was still very much part of the old guard and Oshima one of the directors who were labelled the Japanese new wave was a very outspoken critic of the older generation of film makers.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 15/8/2006 10:07:05 PM >

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
    Post #: 57
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/8/2006 12:59:28 AM   
    themessiah

IN INCOMING!!!!!

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    - New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the definitive Munich Film Museum restoration
    - Four different musical scores, each with its own unique stylistic interpretation of the film
    - Audio commentary by film scholars Thomas Elsaesser and Mary Ann Doane
    - Louise Brooks: Looking for Lulu, a 1998 documentary
    - Lulu in Berlin (48 minutes), a rare 1971 interview with Brooks by vérité documentarian Richard Leacock
    - A new video interview with Leacock
    - A new interview with G. W. Pabst's son, Michael
    - New and improved English subtitle translation
    - PLUS: A book including Kenneth Tynan's famous essay "The Girl in the Black Helmet," a chapter from Louise Brooks's evocative memoir discussing her relationship with Pabst, and a new essay by film critic J. Hoberman

(in reply to Jasiri)
    Post #: 58
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box - 15/8/2006 1:01:17 AM   
    themessiah

What a fantastic DVD, and a great film!!!

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 59
    RE: New Criterion Re-Releases... Pandora's Box - 15/8/2006 8:45:08 AM   
    Pherlygwen

Yeah, looking forward to this one! And to The Double Life Of Véronique... and Sweetie... and The Spirit of The Beehive... and the re-release of Amarcord... oh dear!!

(in reply to themessiah)
    Post #: 60
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI