Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:06:21 PM   
themessiah

Some rather interesting viewings for fans of probably the best DVD label on the planet. Checkout the new designs for the icons also....

Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai": 3-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57572

Federico Fellini's "Amarcord": 2-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57574

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil": Single-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57576

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil": 3-Disc Edition

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57580

Victor Erice's "The Spirit of the Beehive"

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57582

Nobuo Nakagawa's "Jigoku"

http://www.image-entertainment.com/detail.cfm?productID=57584

Any thoughts... the new Seven Samurai DVD is a def for me thinks....

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"
Post #: 1
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:19:02 PM   
zeppelin

Loving the new seven samurai cover. Are they the same DVDs, just different covers?

"In Heaven, Everything Is Fine"

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 2
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:20:46 PM   
zeppelin

I prefer the old purple brazil cover.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 3
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:25:38 PM   
themessiah

The Seven Samurai one is brand brand new. Even the Brazil 3 disc one has new stuff on it.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 4
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:28:17 PM   
zeppelin

I hope they include everything from the previous editions as well as new stuff. I will be buying the seven samurai and brazil asap. When are they released?

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 5
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:31:39 PM   
themessiah

Seven Samurai has got a release date for about beginning of September, possibly 5th, I have a feeling their going to put it back; as Yojimbo and Sanjuro are going to be re-release this year also by Criterion. They're going to be 2 discs i believe.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 6
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:33:36 PM   
themessiah

Can't be sure about Brazil tho.... possibly November.

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 7
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 7:36:09 PM   
zeppelin

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 8
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 8:19:35 PM   
demondemon

nice to see theyre finally cleaning things up now theyve milked so much from the old laserdisc prints.
not really bothered with any of those 7 samurai is watchable but i't not a film i consider as great as everyone else. wonder how criterion are gonna package things. 3 disc sets suggest theyre still gonna use 3 amaray cases.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 9
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 8:22:55 PM   
whomas

wow i was about to buy this but i dont know if i should abandon this now?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IUI5/sr=1-3/qid=1150312830/ref=pd_bowtega_3/203-9643379-9687140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 10
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 8:24:10 PM   
zeppelin

It depends. The new prints will be a lot cleaner.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 11
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 8:25:38 PM   
whomas

that is what i was think but it is a great value box set i think i will its quite tempting the features on the new three disc would have to be ver very good

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 12
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 9:06:19 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Oh Yes! I will be Purchasing Seven Samurai. I've been waiting ages for this new edition to reveal its beautiful head! September seems such along way away though!

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 13
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 9:28:03 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

Oh Yes! I will be Purchasing Seven Samurai. I've been waiting ages for this new edition to reveal its beautiful head! September seems such along way away though!

Yeah it does. I so badly want it. I hope they do up other films as well like 8 1/2.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 14
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 9:39:13 PM   
Jasiri

Definitely be picking Seven Samurai up,cracking extras,2 hour conversation with Nagisa Oshima and another of those excellent It's Wonderful To Create documentaries.

Jigoku's a great film essential viewing if you like Japanese horror.

quote:

ORIGINAL: whomas

that is what i was think but it is a great value box set i think i will its quite tempting the features on the new three disc would have to be ver very good

That boxset is pretty good value but the prints on those releases of Yojimbo and Sanjuro have a bad reputation,worth going to dvdbeaver and  having a look.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 14/6/2006 9:46:42 PM >

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 15
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 9:41:40 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

hour converastion with Nagisa Oshima

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 16
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 14/6/2006 11:30:01 PM   
themessiah

Overall, there's is no point in getting that Akira Kurosawa: 4 Samuurai Classics boxset as, well, there are far better versions coming out later in the year and rumours are bound that Yojimbo and Sanjuro will in a 4 disc set themselves. I wouldn't even bother with that boxset at all.

Jasiri is totally right as the Sanjuro and Yojimbo boxset are rather dire...DVDBEAVER state to get the BFI DVDs; and their not really that great either.

The best disc you have in that boxset is Hidden Fortress (because of the transfer), in which you can get for about £10 in a number of places and Criterion are re-releasing Hidden Fortress early next year anyway, probably in a 2 disc set also.

< Message edited by themessiah -- 14/6/2006 11:33:43 PM >

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 17
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 15/6/2006 2:20:42 PM   
whomas

well yer i might not then if they are all coming in better edtions thanks

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 18
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/6/2006 1:08:26 AM   
themessiah

Just found this also...  new edition of Tati's 'Playtime' coming out in September...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G8NXZ0/103-1301861-7505468

Cover is:

Rather like the older cover really; but interesting 2 disc.... haven't found any special features yet tho.

There could be a Tati boxset coming around the corner with all the new discs also.... will give you a shout if I hear.

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 19
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/6/2006 9:43:00 AM   
zeppelin

That is really cool. Are they re-releasing all of the criterions?

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 20
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/6/2006 1:00:37 PM   
themessiah

Most of their early stuff, stuff which came out the first time they began to do DVDs. It's mainly one's with vanilla features, such as the old Seven Samurai. They possibly will re-release La Grande Illusion also, and that will be fantastic, as it is a wonderful print, and some needed extras will be great on that DVD. Although I still can't be sure about their new covers.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 21
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 16/6/2006 4:30:02 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

Most of their early stuff, stuff which came out the first time they began to do DVDs. It's mainly one's with vanilla features, such as the old Seven Samurai. They possibly will re-release La Grande Illusion also, and that will be fantastic, as it is a wonderful print, and some needed extras will be great on that DVD. Although I still can't be sure about their new covers.

Sounds good to me.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 22
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 4:30:17 PM   
themessiah

This seems to be their next target:

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 23
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 6:29:56 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: themessiah

This seems to be their next target:

O sweet jesus.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 24
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 6:35:08 PM   
Zatoichi

Damn, that DVD of Seven Samurai sounds good. A commentary. Another commentary. Two commentaries!!

I'm guessing, by the running time, this version will have scenes not on the BFI version?

Jigoku sounds pretty incredible too.

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 17/6/2006 6:38:44 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 25
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 8:31:40 PM   
whomas

i wonder if they are planing to rerelease their out of print editions? they may not be able to for some tho i think because of lisencing issues but please say they can get salo and flesh for frankenstein and blood for dracula! with better extras they all have none!

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 26
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 11:02:08 PM   
TheGodfather

The Seven Samurai and Brazil covers look great, will be getting them both even though I have the old Seven Samurai Criterion disc 

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 27
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 11:05:16 PM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

The Seven Samurai and Brazil covers look great, will be getting them both even though I have the old Seven Samurai Criterion disc 

Me 2.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 28
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 17/6/2006 11:17:55 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

I'm guessing, by the running time, this version will have scenes not on the BFI version?

The time difference will be down to the speedup between NTSC and PAL.

Jigoku is good,it's pretty slow to start with,not much happens and it seems to be going nowhere but worth sticking with it for the last 40 minutes or so,very odd film with some fantastic imagery.The print on the dvd I've got isn't great,a lot of marks and the image is soft looking and a bit murky in some dark scenes,would imagine the Criterion will be a lot better though.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 29
RE: New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai - 18/6/2006 12:34:22 AM   
zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

The time difference will be down to the speedup between NTSC and PAL.

Jigoku is good,it's pretty slow to start with,not much happens and it seems to be going nowhere but worth sticking with it for the last 40 minutes or so,very odd film with some fantastic imagery.The print on the dvd I've got isn't great,a lot of marks and the image is soft looking and a bit murky in some dark scenes,would imagine the Criterion will be a lot better though.

Cheers for the info Jasiri,, might just have to try this one out.

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> New Criterion Re-Releases......including 7 Samurai Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI