Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:11:25 PM   
mfj fratelli

I'm just as confused as you Brits as to why this show is loved in America. I hate it!!! The jokes are standard sitcom fodder and the actors have no comedic timing. It's hardly groundbreaking stuff. Even their delivery of one-liners is poor.

I'm ashamed that we have this in America. I just wanted to let everyone know that there are many Americans that share my same point of view about this awful show.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!
Post #: 1
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:14:32 PM   
Zaphod121

I'm half American and I hate the show, does that count, it has to be one of the most un-funny shows I've seen in a long time

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 2
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:17:46 PM   
My Life in Pictures

I like it.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 3
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:19:49 PM   
Jack of Blades

But don't you get it? It's a parable on the logistics of modern day marriage with the mother always interfering and the slightly genocidal father-in-law? And the neurotic mother. And the father-in-law whose a bit kooky.

Proper comedy.

Excuse me while I defecate on my Brass Eye DVD.

When I'm at the pearly gates, this will be on my videotape...

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 4
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:25:04 PM   
The Mighty

I don't get why this show is so hated by so many people on this forum. It really is just a harmless sitcom, just like any other harmless sitcom. I actually quite like it, it has a lot of heart and some very funny moments. It's no where near the standards of Friends, Frasier, Arrested Development ect, but it's a solid hour of entertainment which beats Will & Grace hands down. I also quite like how normal it is. While other shows go for the outrageous, Everybody Loves Raymond keeps it's feet much closer to the ground. The series finale is a perfect example of this.

(in reply to Jack of Blades)
Post #: 5
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 5:35:18 PM   
Zatoichi

It's amusing. Nothing more.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 6
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 6:31:59 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

I don't get why this show is so hated by so many people on this forum. It really is just a harmless sitcom, just like any other harmless sitcom. I actually quite like it, it has a lot of heart and some very funny moments. It's no where near the standards of Friends, Frasier, Arrested Development ect, but it's a solid hour of entertainment which beats Will & Grace hands down. I also quite like how normal it is. While other shows go for the outrageous, Everybody Loves Raymond keeps it's feet much closer to the ground. The series finale is a perfect example of this.

Harmless is one thing, but when a show like this wins multiple emmys something is seriously wrong. I enjoy simple sitcoms as well, but this is still unfunny to me.
I guess I'm irked that it is sickeningly overrated. When Brad Garrett won the emmy instead of Jeffery Tambor I was highly disappointed.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 7
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 14/6/2006 8:49:46 PM   
Dragonfall 5

This sitcom is below standard for an average sitcom.  It is truly awful.  Badly acted, and the script is terrible.

++++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++++

Please reinstall the universe and reboot

Post #: 8
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 9:25:44 PM   
Livvie

I hate when this is on tv...Its absolutely appalling tripe. I agree with the majority of posters - the acting and scriptwriting is terrible and the 'would-be hero' Raymond is (IMO) utterly unsympathetic.

After all ... tomorrow is another day.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

(in reply to Dragonfall 5)
Post #: 9
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 9:27:38 PM   
nomimalone

I've tried to like this programme and I just can't warm to it. I don't find it funny at all and Ray Romano just annoys me.

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 10
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 9:58:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

I'm just as confused as you Brits as to why this show is loved in America. I hate it!!! The jokes are standard sitcom fodder and the actors have no comedic timing. It's hardly groundbreaking stuff. Even their delivery of one-liners is poor.

I'm ashamed that we have this in America. I just wanted to let everyone know that there are many Americans that share my same point of view about this awful show.

Its an American show and was well into its 6th season or so before Channel 4 started showing it here, so don't go putting the blame on us

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 11
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 9:59:40 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I like it, maybe you need to have a mother in law from hell and a Robert in your family to appreciate it.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 12
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 10:05:35 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

I agree with this. It really isn't as bad as everyone says it is, and is a lot funnier than Will & Grace.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 13
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 11:21:31 PM   
The Knutsens

As we've got some Americans on the forum can I ask a question? (too late!)

You call petrol, gas so what do you call gas? (you know, the blue flame that you use to cook food)

George Costanza : "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."

Annie Hall: It's so clean out here.
Alvy Singer: That's because they don't throw their garbage away, they turn it into television shows.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 14
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 11:48:43 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Its an American show and was well into its 6th season or so before Channel 4 started showing it here, so don't go putting the blame on us

I don't know what you're trying to say. What do you mean when you say I'm putting the blame on you? My original post simply stated that I don't like Everybody Likes Raymond. It also said that many Americans and Brits are trying to understand why this show is so popular in America. I don't know about its status in the UK, but previous posts suggest that there is significant animosity toward it.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 15
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 11:51:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

I misread your post and made a joke. No big deal.

Post #: 16
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 11:54:22 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

No harm done

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 15/6/2006 11:54:32 PM   
My Life in Pictures

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I like it, maybe you need to have a mother in law from hell and a Robert in your family to appreciate it.

Exactly!

I am the Robert of my family.

< Message edited by My Life in Pictures -- 15/6/2006 11:55:22 PM >

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 18
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 12:11:04 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

No harm done

(I actually noticed earlier but forgot to do anything about it,lol, been busy)

Post #: 19
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 12:31:25 AM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Knutsens

As we've got some Americans on the forum can I ask a question? (too late!)

You call petrol, gas so what do you call gas? (you know, the blue flame that you use to cook food)

The answer to your question and many more answers to American vs British wording is to be found here on our lovely forum.

I didn't love Everybody Loves Raymond but it was not a show I tuned into often.

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 16/6/2006 12:32:01 AM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to The Knutsens)
Post #: 20
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 9:17:43 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

The show's a load of rubbish, and Ray is just bloody annoying.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 21
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 9:39:48 AM   
elab49

Agreed a harmless sitcom. Pretty crap too - but the idea Peter Boyle has no comic timing is simply absurd!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 22
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 5:08:16 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Agreed a harmless sitcom. Pretty crap too - but the idea Peter Boyle has no comic timing is simply absurd!

I still think he's one of the unfunniest actors to ever play a cantankerous codger.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! - 16/6/2006 5:49:53 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Knutsens

so what do you call gas? (you know, the blue flame that you use to cook food)

they dont have gas in america.....true story

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to The Knutsens)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Everybody Loves Raymond? Not this Yank! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI