Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Adventure of Baron Munchausen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Adventure of Baron Munchausen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Adventure of Baron Munchausen - 12/6/2006 3:26:56 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 12/6/2006 3:26:56 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

This film has become the albatross around Gilliam's neck, but lord knows why because everyone I know that's seen it adores it. Surreal and superbly allegorical, this film is fantastic in all senses of the word, depicting the power of fantasy and imagination, the need for escapism (mentally and literally) and the 18th-century clash between rationalism and mythology. A beautiful film, with some lovely acting and a set of heart-warming characters. It's like revisiting a childhood fairytale, with some "grown up" humour and themes thrown in. If you like Gilliam's work, you'll love it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Adventure of Baron Munchausen - 12/6/2006 3:48:48 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

This was my introduction to Terry Gilliam and I adore it. Very funny and imaginative even if the effects are a little ropey. The cast is spot on and many scenes full of perfect comic timing.

What the hell was Robin Williams credited as?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

Post #: 3
RE: The Adventure of Baron Munchausen - 12/6/2006 4:00:06 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

What the hell was Robin Williams credited as?

"Miscellaneous".

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 4
RE: The Adventure of Baron Munchausen - 13/6/2006 9:07:46 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

This film is fantastic! It's one of those childhood films that it's doubtful you ever forget. There are gods, smoke coming out of ears, floating heads, shrill voices, romance, an annoying child (ok, perhaps she was necessary after all) guns and swordfights... The list is endless.

John Neville was absolutely brilliant as the Baron himself, but I have to admit Oliver Reed as Vulcan always comes to the forefront in my mind, with a very youthful-looking Uma Thurman as his promiscuous wife. The other characters - Berthold, Adolphus, Albrecht, Gustavus, even the tiny Sally Salt are all extremely amusing and bring together an unbelievable tale of misfits and adventure.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 5
RE: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - 17/12/2006 10:04:58 PM   
Indio

This is a marvellous film, unfairly slated just because it went severely over budget and didn't get the pre-release publicity it deserved, but I don't think its the kind of film that would ever have made a fortune at the box office because like all of Terry Gilliams films it isn't aimed at a mainstream audience (although he may beg to differ).

I don't think its quite as good as Time Bandits or Brazil but I still think this is one of Gilliams better films, which makes the disappointment of finally seeing Tideland after so long in production and then trying to get a release seem all the more sadder to me. Its a shame he has to struggle so much to find funding for his films these days, Munchausen has more ideas in it than the whole careers of the like of Michael Bay and co.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 6
RE: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - 17/12/2006 10:42:49 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

This is a marvellous film, unfairly slated just because it went severely over budget and didn't get the pre-release publicity it deserved, but I don't think its the kind of film that would ever have made a fortune at the box office because like all of Terry Gilliams films it isn't aimed at a mainstream audience (although he may beg to differ).

I don't think its quite as good as Time Bandits or Brazil but I still think this is one of Gilliams better films, which makes the disappointment of finally seeing Tideland after so long in production and then trying to get a release seem all the more sadder to me. Its a shame he has to struggle so much to find funding for his films these days, Munchausen has more ideas in it than the whole careers of the like of Michael Bay and co.

So true. Truly magical cinematic experience.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 7
RE: The Adventure of Baron Munchausen - 3/9/2007 2:50:54 PM   
shool

Love this film. Utterly Wacky and good fun fantasy.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Adventure of Baron Munchausen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI