Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 1:28:42 AM   
Zatoichi

Finished watching the first season of this influential show tonight and thought we could really do with some appreciation around here. Maybe it's the involvement of Lynch, but the overall story doesn't feel like a TV show; more of a really long film - a darker and more twisted version of Short Cuts. Great characters too. I absolutely love Agent Cooper, Andy and Lucy are two really cute and endearing characters, Audrey is...nice, and Harry's pretty cool too.

The highlight of the show was probably the strangest part of all - Cooper's dream. There's something very intruiging about the phrase "fire walk with me" and the scene with the midget, the red room, and Laura Palmer was downright weird. I also really liked certain character traits like Andy's crying at murder scenes and ability (or lack of) in firing a gun, and Laura's father's need to dance whenever music comes on. Overall, Lynch and Mark Frost created a great host of characters and storylines.

But goddamnit, who knows how long I'll have to wait to find out +-+SPOILERS+-+ what happens to Catherine and Leo's wife, if Laura's father gets away with killing
Jacques, what becomes of James and Dr. Jacoby, who really killed Laura Palmer, what is the outcome of Audrey running into her father at One Eyed Jack's, and who shoot Agent Cooper!!?? +-+SPOILERS+-+

That second season better come out eventually.

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 9/6/2006 1:29:52 AM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"
Post #: 1
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 10:17:06 AM   
Orbital

one of the best tv series ever !

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 2
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 3:42:40 PM   
rikkie

My absolute favourite TV show in the history of the world ever bar none. 

The second s(and regrettably last) series does not disappoint, and has a wonderfully tantalising ending.

< Message edited by rikkie -- 9/6/2006 3:43:31 PM >

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 3
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 3:49:41 PM   
MOTH

Also my absolute favourite TV show in the history of the world ever bar none. 

Having said that, it does start treading water a bit once Laura Palmer's killer is revealed during Series 2. Still - without this you'd never have had The X-Files, 24, Six Feet Under etc etc etc. 

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 4
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 3:59:13 PM   
rikkie

I'll agree that it treadeded (!?) water for a bit after Palmer's killer is revealed, but I think it really starts to pick up again with the appearance of Wyndham Earle and the fabled Black Lodge...

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 5
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 6:06:32 PM   
Zatoichi

I forgot to mention the music. I'm not entirely sure why, but I love the theme tune and the imagery in the opening credits, and there's this eerie piano tune that builds up to a nice (if a little cheesy) climax and ends as hauntingly as it began. And of course there's the oh-so catchy and recognisable jazz numbers.

Oh, and a question for everyone - since there'll be no second season fix for quite some time (if at all), would there be any problem in watching the film Fire Walk With Me? Or would it spoil said season?

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 9/6/2006 6:18:17 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 6
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 7:06:58 PM   
Mogwai

I love Twin Peaks, and Agent Cooper has to be one of the best television characters ever...

The soundtrack reminds me of a hard-boiled noir detective story.

http://damnedconjuror.wordpress.com/ - My Blog

I was cut from her belly
With a stanley knife
My daddy did a jig
With the drunk midwife

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 7
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 7:49:46 PM   
furrybastard

My favourite TV show ever. A perfect mixture of drama, comedy, horror and suspense. Brilliantly acted, written and directed. And the score is absolutely beautiful.

What's interesting Zatoichi is that while the music first seems cheesy, they manage to make it even more effective and powerful as events develop. Lynch always wanted the show to have that melodramatic feel that was popular in shows like Days of Our Lives but to subvert it into something more sinister and haunting. The music plays an incredibly important part ion achieving this. The melodrama is most evident in the Pilot episode and is toned down a bit as the show progresses and all the other elements are introduced.

I could go on and on about this show!

Also may I suggest
that the BIG spoiler is not revealed in this thread as Zatoichi clearly doesn't have all the answers and its far more fun if he finds them out himself! The DVD release for Season 2 is constantly being delayed - I couldn't wait so I downloaded them but I still can't wait for the DVD to be released so I can have the lovely looking transfers!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

Oh, and a question for everyone - since there'll be no second season fix for quite some time (if at all), would there be any problem in watching the film Fire Walk With Me? Or would it spoil said season?

Yes, it would spoil many, many things. The film is a prequel leading up to the events in the Pilot episode.

Season 2 takes a rather drastic dip a little after halfway but once Lynch comes back, it gets much better again. And of course, that finale...

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 8
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 8:49:44 PM   
Mr E

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

Yes, it would spoil many, many things. The film is a prequel leading up to the events in the Pilot episode.

Season 2 takes a rather drastic dip a little after halfway but once Lynch comes back, it gets much better again. And of course, that finale...

I've just recieved Fire Walk With Me from my online rentals, I'll have to watch it now even though I haven't seen season 2. I hope it doesn't spoil it too much it's just I've waited so damn long for that blasted 2nd Season DVD that I just couldn't wait. I've watched the featurette on the DVD and it looks brilliant so I don't care I'll just watch it, I'm sure I'll still enjoy season 2 anyway.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 9
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 8:57:47 PM   
Zatoichi

It's strange, I've only just finished watching the first season but I already feel like watching it all over again...

Right, I'm cheesed off now, 'cause I was reading the Season 2 thread in the DVD forum to see if there were any updates on its release...and I think I read who killed Laura Palmer!! I won't name names, but someone put the culprit right at the start of a reply! Unless it was a joke...

+-+SPOILER PROBABLY+-+
Whoever it was said Agent Cooper did it.
+-+END OF SPOILER+-+

If that's true, fuck's sake! If it's a joke, my God, I'll be laughin' after this. If of course...

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 9/6/2006 9:46:11 PM >

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 10
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 9:45:49 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

It's strange, I've only just finished watching the first season but I already feel like watching it all over again...

Right, I'm cheesed off now, 'cause I was reading the Season 2 thread in the DVD forum to see if there were any updates on its release...and I think I read who killed Laura Palmer!! I won't name names, but someone put the culprit right at the start of a reply! Unless it was a joke...

If that's true, fuck's sake!

That's just a theory put forth by Jobloffski. A very interesting one too but that's not the killer as revealed in the show. It's just a theory based on the kind of stuff Lynch usually does where everything is not as it seems and how everything is open to interpretation. Don't worry, he didn't spoil a thing for you!

quote:

I've just recieved Fire Walk With Me from my online rentals, I'll have to watch it now even though I haven't seen season 2. I hope it doesn't spoil it too much it's just I've waited so damn long for that blasted 2nd Season DVD that I just couldn't wait. I've watched the featurette on the DVD and it looks brilliant so I don't care I'll just watch it, I'm sure I'll still enjoy season 2 anyway.

Not only will it spoil numerous things but it probably won't make a lick of sense either!   It will tell you who killed Laura Palmer and a bunch of other stuff. In fact, it'll also kind os spoil the very last episode in season 2!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 9/6/2006 9:46:42 PM >

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 11
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 9:47:45 PM   
Zatoichi

Ah, that's okay. It just did seem to me like a plausible conclusion (despite Cooper's dream), but thanks for clearing that up furry, and sorry to Jobloffski even though I didn't name you.

Post #: 12
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 9/6/2006 11:48:17 PM   
Megalo-who?

Oh yes, Twin Peaks. Easily the greatest show I have ever seen, and the strange thing is that I only watched it within the last 6 months. I had the boxset for Christmas, being a Lynch fan I knew I would love it.

The episodes directed by Lynch himself really do stand out typically from the rest though, with the 'Dance of the Dream Man' sequence being one of the greatest moments I have ever seen from a TV show. It's just visually stunning, Lynch is a real artist, even here, with all the shots framed beautifully. Like Kubrick, he takes advantage of 4:3. That scene even hold itself against Lynch's most surreal moments from his films it's that good. Ofcourse none of it makes sense at first, but it's so obvious Lynch knew what he was doing right from the start.

It's true that Season 2 falls short against Season 1, it's overly long for a start with it's exhausting 20-odd episodes, but episode 9 when the killer is revealed is the stuff of nightmares. Lynch has always been a master of horror, and Twin Peaks gradually increased in it's nightmarish imagery through to the return of Lynch for the show finale.

Ofcourse this horror was continued and pulled off to a superior effect in Fire Walk With Me. I feel really sorry for the people that haven't seen Season 2, as they really should see FWWM. It's a masterpiece. Smoke a joint with that on your first viewing and you'll see just how disturbing Lynch can be.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 13
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 11/6/2006 11:49:36 AM   
Mr E

I've just seen Fire Walk With Me and it is absolutely ace. Luckily I didn't feel too annoyed about finding out who Laura Palmer's killer  was without seeing season 2 as it ended up being who I always thought it was. I don't really see why it was so hated at the time of it's release but I can see why perhaps it was a bit dissapointing as it leaves out a lot of characters from the series and it was especially a shame that Kyle MacLachlan didn't have a bigger role because I truly missed him. But still it couldn't be more Lynchianly brilliant with loads of scares, nightmares, sexiness and just plain weirdness.

(in reply to Megalo-who?)
Post #: 14
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 11/6/2006 11:58:09 AM   
Dignan

I got season1 over a year ago now, absolutely loved it. I've been dying to see season 2 ever since. I've avoided seeing fire walk with me till I see season 2 (if it ever gets released), but annoyingly I found out who the killer was from  a review of the FWWM dvd which didn't have a spoiler warning.

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 15
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 11/6/2006 9:56:45 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

I can see why perhaps it was a bit dissapointing as it leaves out a lot of characters from the series and it was especially a shame that Kyle MacLachlan didn't have a bigger role because I truly missed him.

There has been an online petition by Twin Peaks fans to get the studio to include the deleted scenes from the film which included many characters from Twin Peaks that were not seen in the theatrical cut. Apparently there were scenes featuring Ed and NAdine, Audrey and Ben Horne that have never seen the light of day!

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 16
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/6/2006 3:32:01 PM   
tbird

The best TV series ever made!!

When oh when will the Series 2 DVD be out to buy??

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

Post #: 17
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/6/2006 4:02:56 PM   
Merly

quote:

I forgot to mention the music. I'm not entirely sure why, but I love the theme tune and the imagery in the opening credits, and there's this eerie piano tune that builds up to a nice (if a little cheesy) climax and ends as hauntingly as it began. And of course there's the oh-so catchy and recognisable jazz numbers.

The theme tune is great. It really is just subtle and haunting and with the images just gets across the whole feel of the show in a minute or so. It's beautiful and peaceful yet disturbing at the same time. It makes me feel sad.

Truly astonishing drama. Absolutely love it. I bought the season one box set some time ago. I havenít seen the second series but Iím not too bothered as I know who killed Laura Palmer and I love Fire Walk With me. One of my fave films. Itís just so weird yet beautifully atmospheric like the show.

I love Kyle Machlachlan in this. Heís perfect for that role. Heís actually very funny and youíve gotta love Lucy too.

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 18
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/6/2006 6:14:29 PM   
furrybastard

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 19
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/6/2006 10:33:02 PM   
rikkie

quote:

Ah, that's okay. It just did seem to me like a plausible conclusion (despite Cooper's dream), but thanks for clearing that up furry, and sorry to Jobloffski even though I didn't name you.
 For a good few of the first episodes in the second series I was pretty certain that it was going to be Cooper revealed as the killer.  Admittedly it's been getting on for around 15 years since I saw it on the first run, so I'm a bit hazy as to why, but it definitely was very plausible for me at the time. However, as I recall, I'd pretty much worked out who it was in time for the denoument. And try to do everything you can to avoid finding out, it'll be worth it.  The episode where the killer is revealed is a cracker.  As I recall the Beeb were royally rapped on the knuckles for not providing extensive enough warnings at the beginning of the episode.  At the time it was one of the most intense episodes of any TV programme ever.   It's all too easy to forget just how marvellous and ground-breaking TP was when it was unleashed. And for the record, I'm not a fan of the film.  I think it's one of the Lynch's lesser works, and was bitterly disappointed with it when released.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 20
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/7/2006 5:10:47 PM   
Zatoichi

Got my hands on the soundtrack and I really like it. Very atmospheric in tracks like "The Bookhouse Boys" and finger-clickin' good with "Audrey's Dance" and "Dance Of The Dream Man".

I'm definetly in a TV show mood just now (having recently finished the third series of Six Feet Under, which is also a corking show) and I think I'll give Twin Peaks another whirl soon.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 21
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 12/7/2006 11:42:24 PM   
furrybastard

Season 2 Release News - I posted this in DVD Discussion but it seems to have gone by unnoticed!

From dugpa.com;
According to an article published by Entertainment Weekly today, Paramount will be releasing both seasons of Twin Peaks in a single set by the end of the year. This doesn't mean that Season 2 will not be released separately as reported earlier. Just more confirmation that things are in the works but again, no solid release date.Ent. Weekly article for those too lazy to click the link
quote:

A number of you have written asking when season two of Twin Peaks would be released on DVD. Well, Paramount says it'll be releasing the increasingly wacky, post-Who-Killed-Laura-Palmer season along with creator David Lynch's slightly more coherent season one (which had been previously available a few years ago) together in one package, sometime later this year. Lynch is involved in the project, and it'll contain some new, original features. What these might be is anyone's guess, since no one's talking and isn't nearly every release called a ''Special Edition'' these days? But I, for one, hope that Lynch and Paramount don't reveal too much behind the scenes stuff, or clarify too much of the dream-like narrative. This was one series that benefited more from its non-linear, surreal logic than by unknotting its many mysteries. (That's one reason I always liked the Twin Peaks movie, Fire Walk With Me, so much ó I was confused, but happily so, utterly engaged by Lynch's excellent updating of Dada and classical Surrealist narrative filmmaking.) Unlike Lost conspiracy theorists, I don't want all the mysteries ''explained'' to me about every TV show, and Twin Peaks was definitely enhanced by its languid mysteriousness. I haven't watched the second season since it first aired over a decade ago, and look forward to seeing how well or poorly it holds up.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 22
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 13/7/2006 6:46:39 PM   
TonySoprano

Twin Peaks is so good, i'm prepared to forgive David Lynch for Dune. That is the mark of its genius.

I swear to god, plays.

Post #: 23
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2006 3:17:36 PM   
Zatoichi

I'm confused slightly with the Packard Mill storyline concerning Benjamin, Catherine, Josie, and their plans. What's the deal with the ledgers? I know there are two of them, one being fake, which Catherine gets a hold of at some point but has it stolen by Benjamin (I think) and the two of them set up an insurance policy for her. In fact, what's up with the policy she refuses to sign? 

(in reply to TonySoprano)
Post #: 24
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2006 4:34:12 PM   
furrybastard

Yeah it is a tad confusing. If I remember rightly, Ben and Catherine are trying to take mill from Josie and the two ledgers are the fake one which has all the finances being fine and the real one which shows that the mill is in trouble.

The policy that Catherine was supposed to sign was actually something which she was never supposed to see and shows that perhaps Benjamin isn't planning on upholding their deal.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 25
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2006 4:50:58 PM   
tbird

Wasn't it a life insurance policy so that POSS SPOILER!!  if she had died in the fire of the mill as planned Josie would get all the insurance money?

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

Post #: 26
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2006 7:49:38 PM   
furrybastard

Yes but I was trying not to give too much away!

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 27
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2006 7:52:22 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I remember watching this when it was originally on the TV and absolutely loved it.  Right up my street.  I was given Series 1 as a Christmas pressie and must get round to watching it again.  It's just too hot to watch DVDs at the moment 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 28
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 3/8/2006 6:24:26 AM   
repo man

Just seen this thread... Twin Peaks is the best TV series I've seen in my lifetime, and I doubt it'll be bettered - brilliant atmosphere, characters, music, everything - it's probably a lot to do with being the age I was when I watched it but I would hope I'd still watch it if it was on today. 

There were parts of the second series that did drag a bit, but I didn't care - I could've watched those characters just sit in a room and do nothing ( which they occasionally did ) and still have loved every second of  it.  I loved the fact that it didn't have a happy ending, either, and that it didn't even try to make any kind of sense but still had you gripped from beginning to end each week.

I taped every episode off BBC2 and every couple of years have sat down and watched the whole thing from start to finish, and I've never got tired of it.  It's a few years since I've seen it now, and if the DVDs aren't released soon I'm going to have to watch it again.  The videos are really getting knackered now though - sixteen years old...

( I tried downloading some of the second series, but could only find the spanish ones - for some reason series two only seems to have been released in Spain )

In turns heartbreaking, laugh out loud funny, terrifying and intriguing, Twin Peaks was unforgettable television.  I'm glad it was on in my lifetime and I got to watch it each week ( as soon as each episode finished I'd be dying to see the next one ), and reading this thread just makes me want to watch it again. 

Love the film too

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 29
RE: The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread - 4/8/2006 10:56:41 AM   
libertine

I bought series 1 on dvd and watched it all in one day . It really is THAT good, like people have previously mentioned the atmosphere and characters on the show are great and the show is unlike anything else. The best episode, and i'm probably not a lone on this one, is episode 2 which is directed by David Lynch. The red room is possibly one of the creepiest tv moments ever and it made me feel so uncomfortable, it was the best depiction of a dream sequence ever filmed.

"Damn good coffee. And Hot!"

The characters were so believable and creepy and thats what made the show so appealing, that most were not just good or bad and you could never quite understand or predict them or what they would do. It made the show very unpredictable.

The ending however annoyed me, while on the one hand i thought it was cool to leave it the way it did, i really want to know what happens and yet series 2 is possibly not coming out for a long time.

Overall, i thought it is possibly one of the best seasons of any tv show and was a compelling watch.

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Twin Peaks Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI