Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The X-Files

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The X-Files Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The X-Files - 20/1/2011 8:04:42 PM   
beebs_

I doubt very much that the leads would be up for committing to a new series. I think one of the reasons that DD does Californication is because is 12 half hour shows which is so much less demanding than the x files filming schedule was. Also... I don't know if the world wants another x files series. I can see it being re-made in the future, but not with my beloved actors.

Even a film is a stretch and I'd be first in line for that. I guess its good to know that the leads are still interested, even if fox and the general public aren't!

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to skywalkerbhoy)
Post #: 2431
RE: The X-Files - 23/1/2011 8:57:10 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Within and Without. I remember thinking when it was first shown that the show never felt too strange not having Mulder around as a main character and the same still applies. I like Doggett’s introduction and I love the fact Scully chucks water at him. With Patience, it’s great to see Scully leading the investigation, also how she’s now become the Mulder of the office, even if she does put her theories forward hesitantly.

Roadrunners is brilliant. Not only a great monster of the week story, but it really helps the relationship between Scully and Doggett, and it’s the episode I remember most of from Season 8. Three solid episodes follow with Invocation, Redrum and then Via Negativa. The latter is a bit like Grotesque or Never Again were for Mulder and Scully, but with Doggett this time. The dream sequence when he thinks he may kill Scully is one of the most atmospheric and brilliantly shot moments from the whole show I think. Surekill and Salvage both very good (liked the in-joke about metal men!). Badlaa is excellent. (“Haunted hotel room? Alien invaders? Sloppy vampires?”), like The Gift, love Medusa which reminded me of Ice, Firewalker or Darkness Falls (It even has Dr Kelso!)

It seems like from here on it becomes more of a serial dealing with Mulder’s reappearance and Scully’s pregnancy, and I like this continuation. Nice to see the flashbacks to Mulder in Per Manum. This is Not Happening and Deadalive are great. I always liked Reyes but I could never remember when she was introduced, I thought it was later on in the season, so good to see her crop up here. I tell you though; whenever Scully cries in the show I’m usually not far behind, especially when she’s upset over Mulder. Nice to see Roy Thinnes appear again, and I loved the final scene in the hospital when Mulder’s pretends he doesn’t know who Scully is.

Three Words is good (not the three words I wanted though), a bit downbeat considering recent events. Empedocles is very good (Pizza guy!). I like the fact we get to see Mulder and Doggett work together in Vienen, and then Alone gives is what might be the most-light hearted episode this season. Mention of past cases and the little mementoes we see are the kind of thing that make me feel stupidly happy. And then we round off with Essence and Existence and that lovely final scene, which makes S9 especially bittersweet.

What’s the general feeling for S8? I loved it. As much as I adored the comedy episodes that populated season 4 to 7, S8 does feel like the early years of the show with some great one off episodes. Doggett is a great new character and while I don’t like the way things are suggested that Mulder has passed the X-Files over to him, he was an excellent addition. His scepticism is different to that of Scully’s from the past, and his relationship with Scully is also a blessing. There’s a connection there, and he knows that Scully’s the one with all the answers here (I like the fact he often makes jokes that he has no idea what he’s doing). The personal and professional respect between Scully and Doggett helps the series immensely, and I love how Scully’s changed now, she’s the new Mulder (kind of. Sad to see her realise she can’t compete with Mulder in that regard, even if her superiors seem to blame her). It’s a shame we couldn’t get more episodes with Mulder, Scully and Doggett together, they’d have been a great team.

Roadrunners
Alone
Via Negativa
This Is Not Happening/Deadalive
Medusa
Salvage
Within/Without
Empedocles
Vienen
Surekill
Badlaa
Essence/Existence
Per Manum
Patience
Invocation
Redrum
The Gift
Three Words

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 23/1/2011 8:58:40 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2432
RE: The X-Files - 24/2/2011 5:37:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Took me about a month but I've now seen Season 9. In order...

Underneath
Hellbound
John Doe
4-D
Dæmonicus
Sunshine Days
Aubrey Pauley
Release
Lord Of The Flies

I like all of the above. Even in the final year it could still bring about some fantastic one off episodes. Reyes and Doggett made a good team.

Provenance/Providence
Trust No 1
William
The Truth
Nothing Important Happened Today I and II

But the conspiracy episodes really, really did drag and these suffered the most from a lack of Mulder. Unlike the first half of season 8, not having Mulder didn't help at all, probably due to the lame reason he wasn't around.

Improbable - WTF!

Jump The Shark. - No, no, no, no, no. Didn't happen, refuse to believe it. Least favourite episode of the entire show.

So, I still have the second film to go, but the show's now over. Took me me 5 months, almost to the day, 2 months longer than I had hoped. But, with very few exceptions, I loved it immensely, just as much as I remembered. Mulder and Scully are two genuine Tv icons, Duchovny and Anderson both excellent, and there's a whole host of great support. If I ever came up with a list of my all-time favourite TV episodes, a good chunk would come from this show. And it's now back as my favourite Tv show of all time.

Lastly, seasons in order - 2, 6, 4, 5, 3, 8, 1, 7, 9. I think that could easily change though, apart from 9 coming last.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 24/2/2011 5:41:58 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2433
RE: The X-Files - 13/3/2011 2:46:26 AM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Took me about a month but I've now seen Season 9. In order...

Underneath
Hellbound
John Doe
4-D
Dæmonicus
Sunshine Days
Aubrey Pauley
Release
Lord Of The Flies

I like all of the above. Even in the final year it could still bring about some fantastic one off episodes. Reyes and Doggett made a good team.

Provenance/Providence
Trust No 1
William
The Truth
Nothing Important Happened Today I and II

But the conspiracy episodes really, really did drag and these suffered the most from a lack of Mulder. Unlike the first half of season 8, not having Mulder didn't help at all, probably due to the lame reason he wasn't around.

Improbable - WTF!

Jump The Shark. - No, no, no, no, no. Didn't happen, refuse to believe it. Least favourite episode of the entire show.

So, I still have the second film to go, but the show's now over. Took me me 5 months, almost to the day, 2 months longer than I had hoped. But, with very few exceptions, I loved it immensely, just as much as I remembered. Mulder and Scully are two genuine Tv icons, Duchovny and Anderson both excellent, and there's a whole host of great support. If I ever came up with a list of my all-time favourite TV episodes, a good chunk would come from this show. And it's now back as my favourite Tv show of all time.

Lastly, seasons in order - 2, 6, 4, 5, 3, 8, 1, 7, 9. I think that could easily change though, apart from 9 coming last.

I've watched seasons 8 and 9 only once, but I'm not sure I can make it through 9 again. 8 had some good eps, like the first four, but 9... it was vapid.
I recently rewatched 2 classic episodes (Small Potatoes & Detour) with friends who hadn't watched any X files. One of them remarked 'Wow, that's almost as good as Fringe'.
Jesus.

Post #: 2434
RE: The X-Files - 16/3/2011 10:45:01 AM   
beebs_

quote:

I recently rewatched 2 classic episodes (Small Potatoes & Detour) with friends who hadn't watched any X files. One of them remarked 'Wow, that's almost as good as Fringe'. Jesus.

Gah!

I can't watch Fringe 'coz its a poor man's x files! This is coming from a Pacey lover, so please know I've tried...

Season 9 is bad. Real bad. The best episodes of that season for me we William and The Truth. Even though I was against the outcome of William as it made no sense whatsoever, I think it was very well done in terms of seeing Scully stress about this man being Mulder, finally seeing how she felt that he had buggered off (for no good reason!) and general Scully stuff. The Truth was a clip show but I savoured my last set of M&S interaction. And they totally won me over with that final scene.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2435
RE: The X-Files - 16/3/2011 10:52:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I still think some of the standalone episodes from S9 work very well. But it helps that I like Doggett and Reyes a lot.

Much more better!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2436
RE: The X-Files - 16/3/2011 11:56:54 AM   
beebs_

Doggett & Reyes were... OK. I liked them better second time round. But... meh to their efforts on s9. I can hardly remember any episodes from that season. Probably partly because I haven't watched them as many times as the previous seasons. Partly becausethey were meh. Maybe if I cared enough about the new comers they'd have made the average motw ep more enjoyable, but earnest Reyes and gruff Doggett's chemistry didn't draw me in.

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 2437
RE: The X-Files - 17/3/2011 10:57:02 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well, they did have a lot to live up to! I'm having a hard time thinking of a more endearing on-screen pairing than Mulder and Scully.

Much more better!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2438
RE: The X-Files - 17/3/2011 12:57:09 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

I recently rewatched 2 classic episodes (Small Potatoes & Detour) with friends who hadn't watched any X files. One of them remarked 'Wow, that's almost as good as Fringe'. Jesus.

Gah!

I can't watch Fringe 'coz its a poor man's x files! This is coming from a Pacey lover, so please know I've tried...

Season 1 maybe but now it's developed into it's own brilliant show.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2439
RE: The X-Files - 17/3/2011 1:04:52 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

Gah!

Amen to that. The show is nothing like the X files now!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 2440
RE: The X-Files - 17/3/2011 9:47:02 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

Gah!

Amen to that. The show is nothing like the X files now!

Come on, it's a soap opera.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2441
RE: The X-Files - 17/3/2011 11:26:56 PM   
Joedini

In what way?

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2442
RE: The X-Files - 18/3/2011 12:00:38 AM   
Zaphod121

Well it has romance in it, so it must be a soap opera

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2443
RE: The X-Files - 18/3/2011 12:06:49 PM   
beebs_

People keep insisting that after the poor knock off of The X Files in season one that Fringe is so amazing. Life is too short to get into it now! Oh and TXF was all about the relationship tension between the the dynamic duo. Be it flirting, jealousy or just doin' anything and everything for each other a lot of what carried my show was the strange romance.

::sigh:: I miss those guys.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 2444
RE: The X-Files - 18/3/2011 2:32:41 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I have about 20 minutes left of the second film now. Not seen it since the cinema, and now I understand a few reference they make that I had forgotten about. But Mulder and Scully seem to have spent almost the entire time apart so far.

Much more better!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2445
RE: The X-Files - 18/3/2011 2:58:21 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

In what way?

The show has become less about the cases and more about the personal lives of the characters. I know people enjoy that, but it's not my cup of tea so I bailed after watching the first 2-3 episodes of the 3rd season.
Also, the science is not only far-fetched and unbelievable (X Files), it's dumb and ridiculous. Which is annoying.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2446
RE: The X-Files - 18/3/2011 3:42:31 PM   
beebs_

I think TXF sold the science fiction spool much better than what saw on fringe. I just couldn't buy it.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2447
RE: The X-Files - 24/3/2011 9:44:31 PM   
bozo

quote:

I think TXF sold the science fiction spool much better than what saw on fringe. I just couldn't buy it.

True that. Fringe seems to be made with the lowest common denominator in mind, like so many US shows nowadays. Can you imagine The X Files becoming a hit now? They'd pull it off the air after half a season or try to dumb it down. Unless it's on HBO I guess, which still produces some clever shows now and then.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2448
RE: The X-Files - 25/3/2011 11:02:21 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Really must do a full rewatch at some stage.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 25/3/2011 11:10:02 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2449
RE: The X-Files - 25/3/2011 7:48:08 PM   
beebs_

Well if you do and you want to discuss, I'm up for it.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 2450
RE: The X-Files - 7/5/2011 6:36:08 PM   
bozo

I need some advice from the fans. I'm considering buying The Complete X Files: Behind the Scenes, The Myths and the Movies, but I'm wondering... is it primarily concerned with the mytharc, or is there a nice balance between that and the monster-of-the-week episodes which are why I love the show so much?
Appreciated.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2451
RE: The X-Files - 7/5/2011 10:41:49 PM   
beebs_

That's the coffee table book with lots of pretty pictures, right? It's got everything in it, mytharc stuff, movies, monsters of the week. I'm not at home right now or else I'd pick it up off the shelf and give a bit more detail....

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2452
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 10:12:28 AM   
CORLEONE

Just started watching series 4. "Home" a classic episode (with the 3 mongalong brothers living on a farm).

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2453
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 11:19:35 AM   
bozo

quote:

That's the coffee table book with lots of pretty pictures, right? It's got everything in it, mytharc stuff, movies, monsters of the week. I'm not at home right now or else I'd pick it up off the shelf and give a bit more detail....

Sounds great. I love pretty pictures It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it - right?

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2454
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 11:23:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Which version are you getting? I have

and it was worth the 20 odd pounds.

But this one

despite the extra pages and my love for all things X Files, I was not prepared to spend £120!

Much more better!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2455
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 11:25:32 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

quote:

Well if you do and you want to discuss, I'm up for it.

Probably won't get to it any time soon. Not a fan of watching DVDs on the computer and I don't get much TV time.

Re the book, it has a few typos, but I enjoyed it.

Edit, what's in the other version?!

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 8/5/2011 11:26:14 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 2456
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 12:14:59 PM   
beebs_

Yeah, what's with the other version?!

Damn boy! Typos! I haven't read the book really. Well I've read a bit here and there. I've more flicked and looked a pictures. It was a gift so I don't know about the price.

Oh how I love Home! Gross, scary, yet funny and some great banter. What more do you need eh?

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 2457
RE: The X-Files - 8/5/2011 1:36:53 PM   
bozo

Just ordered it from ebay! Can't wait!

< Message edited by bozo -- 9/5/2011 10:59:09 AM >

Post #: 2458
RE: The X-Files - 7/6/2011 7:20:38 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm watching The Post-Modern Prometheus from S5, reminds me how much I love the tongue-in-cheek episodes of the show. I think my favourites may be either Jose Chung's From Outer Space or War of the Coprophages.

"Did you know the inventor of the flush toilet was Thomas Crapper?"

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 7/6/2011 7:43:30 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2459
RE: The X-Files - 7/6/2011 10:08:38 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I'm watching The Post-Modern Prometheus from S5, reminds me how much I love the tongue-in-cheek episodes of the show. I think my favourites may be either Jose Chung's From Outer Space or War of the Coprophages.

"Did you know the inventor of the flush toilet was Thomas Crapper?"

Her name was Bambi?

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 2460
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The X-Files Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI