Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best season of the X-Files?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best season of the X-Files? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 31/1/2006 3:34:14 PM   
Da Big Cheese

I've got seasons 1 - 4 and 9 so I know that this cam-corder episode isn't from there. I saw it on BBC2, at least 5 years ago, probably longer than that. Could it have been some specially filmed thing, or maybe an elaborate documentry? Or a spoof? It definetely had Mulder and Scully in it, though. It was all at night, a grainy picture as if it was really done on a hand held camera. They're following a creature of some kind, and the viewer never sees it. At least, I don't remember seeing it.

Trust No One

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 91
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 31/1/2006 3:45:11 PM   
beebs_

That's definitely X Cops from season 7.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 92
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 31/1/2006 5:34:58 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

That's definitely X Cops from season 7.

I concur...a fantastic episode. They also did a Jackass style skit in one of the later seasons which was good fun too.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 93
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 31/1/2006 10:56:43 PM   
Dravis

After stumbling on this site, and reading through all these replies, I figured I might as well register and reply. Nice to see so many people able to talk about something we all enjoy, without any petty arguments, quite refreshing :)

Also noticed you're almost all from the UK, so I thought id post and give you an americans perspective. I was really young when the show first came out (im 22 now) so I missed most of the episodes when I was a kid/teenager, but caught a few, and remember being scared crapless. For an 8-12 year old, demons, crazy diseases, and aliens, was a bit much, parents loved the show, and I used to always go upstairs...even the opening themesong used to give me the shivers! Now though, I've caught a few episodes on TV, and have been immediately hooked. This shows great...I live in Washington state, so I guess its even sweeter for me...im currently watching Red Museum and the guys sitting the truck drinking beer in the middle of a foggy night is priceless, me and my buddies still do that. They filmed a bunch of the episodes around here, Oregon, and Vancouver..I love it.

We have a station called TNT here in the states, and they play 5 or 6 episodes monday and tuesday nights from 1 am to 6am...ive caught a couple from the end of season two, and am halfway through season 3. Thank god they are actually playing them in order. The first one I saw was humbug, and I LOVED it. They keep making references back to Deepthroat, so im going to have to buy season one and two on DVD. Such a great series.

last night was:
3X15 Piper Maru
3X16 Apocrypha
3X17 Pusher
3X18 Teso dos Bichos
3X19 Hell Money
3X20 Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'

Piper through Pusher kicked ass. Teso and Hell Money sucked. Jose Chung with Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura was priceless. Tonight is:

3X21 Avatar
3X22 Quagmire
3X23 Wetwired
4X03 Home

Not sure why they are skipping the end of season 3, but I remember the swamp monster quagmire episode, so im stoked. Sounds like Home is super creepy, so excited for that too! I'll be on later to update on how I liked em!

Cheers!

Alex

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 94
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 31/1/2006 11:08:03 PM   
beebs_

I've just turned 25 and I watched the it when it was first on. I remember not being into it that much during the first season. I was young! I didn't get it! The cases were never solved! But then the Abduction arc hit. I was hooked.

Can't wait to hear more from you Dravis.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Dravis)
Post #: 95
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 1/2/2006 12:44:19 PM   
Dravis

Back!

Its now 4:26 am, not a bit tired, those episodes were good, some better than others, heres my breakdown:

Fantastic IMHO. Skinner needed the character development, and it really made me trust him alot more than I had before. Never quite understood the guy, but now I feel like I do. It was also the first episode my girlfriend watched all the way through, and she really enjoyed it. She could never get over how hokey alot of the MoTW episodes are, but this one grabbed her pretty well. For a non-beleiver, she came around pretty quick with this one. Good all around, and flowed well. It was a good break from MoTW formats...which of course leads me into...

Quagmire
Oh man...one if, if not my all time favorite MoTW episode. This one actually managed to scare me when I was a kid...how, I'll never know. Now I know where someone got the idea for "Lake Placid" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139414/ ) , that crap bill pullman B-movie that we all love so much. The X-files version is better, it's condensened into a watchable 45 minutes...right as you would normally be about to fall asleep, its over. I love it. Scully's dog biting the big one (haha! puns!) was classic, and the one liner "That sure aint no duck!" was hilarious. The banter on the rock was also great, and them being trapped...10 feet from shore. My girlfriend called it from the beginning, "its a croc eating them all!" I just smiled and nodded, remembering the end of the episode with the horrible CGI rendered monster...which we both had a good long laugh at. A fun episode thats impossible to really get creeped out by. I still dont know understand WHY they had to add that CGI...snake thing.

(Little tidbit: 3 of the main actors in "Lake Placid" had small parts in various X-files episodes!)

Wetwired
Dont even get me started. This episode felt broken, boring, out of place, and generally just....boring. Seeing scully go apeshit was too much for me. I would have much preferred Mulder to have lost it: To me scully is the one with all the actual reason and resistance to "influence" let alone subliminal stuff. The whole colorblind thing was a bit silly, could never see a FBI agent being colorblind, but I let this one go...tis a show after all :) I wouldnt recommend it...is Deepthroat the black dude feeding them info? The end was anti climactic IMHO. My girlfriend almost fell asleep a few times. She would wake up, ask what was going on, and every time the answer was: Oh, same thing, TVs are telling them to kill people, for no apparent reason other than the governments evil. Thats the entire episode.

Home (season 4)
For some reason TNT has the last of season 3 and the beginning of season 4 scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday. Totally lame, but whatever...this episode was fun. As opposed to Quagmire, this one jumped to the other end of the spectrum. Messed up, creepy, disconcerting, and definitely satirical of a few genres. I cant decide if they were doing the 50s B movie horror movie thing, Resident Evil thing, or just their own thing, but it was interesting. By this point it was WAY past my girlfriends bed time (3am) but she refused to go to bed when she saw them burying the baby in the backyard. It really got her wondering: Can X-files actually get you creeped out? There were alot of cliches in this one, but hell, that was probably the point...the deputy rushing in I saw coming. But the headsets and vests? Hello Resident Evil. The mom under the bed was geniunely creepy, although im pretty sure she was played by a guy. I really liked this episode, and it was one time when the comedic banter between scully and mulder actually broke some tension as it should. This episode might have even been a little over the top to throw on for someone who has never seen the series, but all in all, flowed well and worked well at creeping me out.

Im buying season one and two this week, so If anyones interested I can throw up some summaries of what ive thought of them too.

Thanks for the reply beebs, you inspired me to ramble on about what I thought of the episodes...man...I never thought id become an X-files geek :)

Cheers

< Message edited by Dravis -- 1/2/2006 12:57:08 PM >

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 96
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 2/2/2006 9:14:12 PM   
JV

I've just watched Travelers and Mind's Eye. Travelers seemed a bit of a cop-out (no Scully and just a fleeting presence of Muldy) and Mind's Eye, while good, was run-of-the-mill.

The only thing though is that while I was watching Travelers, aside from Mulder smoking, I noticed him wearing a wedding ring.  Anyone able to explain that? It was set in 1990... I just don't remember any mention of an ex-wife. (Would make sense though, seems very much the sort of bloke who'd bring his work home from the office. )

I don't remember seeing either of these episodes before, actually.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Dravis)
Post #: 97
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 2/2/2006 11:44:47 PM   
beebs_

It's bed time for me too Dravis so I'll probably get into you episode breakdowns at work tomorrow...

Travelers... One I don't really remember. I didn't even make it through the whole episode when I bought the boxset! I prefered when we got Agent Dales back in S6.  The whole wedding ring thing... I think it was when David just got married and he didn't want to take it off. I know that it spawned a million "Mulder was married to Phoebe Green/Diana Fowley" fan fictions. Trust me.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 98
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 3/2/2006 3:11:27 PM   
*emz6*

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

That sounds like Scully and Doggett's first case. I think it's episode 3 season 8. Patience I think. This is all without checking. I'm not a S8 and 9 lover so I'm not sure...

nah it aint that one coz it was definatly mulder and scully i really wanna kno wot epi it was it fully annoying me lol

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 99
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 3/2/2006 6:52:22 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Bad Blood is easily a classic episode, the different stories, the body language, the humour - it's just brilliant. Haven't seem X Cops in quite some time but I recall enjoying it. I recall enjoying Wetwired actually.

Travelers was cack from what I remember.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 100
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 4/2/2006 9:23:10 AM   
Da Big Cheese

It sounds like you guys have decided that my mystery episode is X Cops. Thanks, that's been a splinter in my mind for a loooong time

I really liked Wetwired, it's one of my fave episodes in season 3. In reply to what Dravis said, I think that they had Scully go under the effects of the subliminal "madness" as opposed to Mulder because it's a role reversal, and good old Chris Carter liked doing that, methinks. Having Scully go under the effects of a paranormal phenominon and leaving Mulder to pick up the peices worked in the episodes favour. He did the same thing in season 8, in a way, with the arrival of Doggett as the sceptic it forced Scully to become the believer.

Trust No One

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 101
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/2/2006 10:53:52 PM   
JV

I've just finished season 5. The film comes next, right? Might watch that tomorrow night then.

I loved The End as much as I loved it the first time round. Love Scully's jealousy towards Fowley!  Little Gibson is adorable.

Post #: 102
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/2/2006 5:47:16 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

I noticed him wearing a wedding ring.  Anyone able to explain that? It was set in 1990... I just don't remember any mention of an ex-wife.

From memory you never find out for certain (as is the X-Files way) but it is very much implied that Fowley is the ex-wife.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 103
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/2/2006 9:13:00 PM   
Zatoichi

Ordered the Season 3 DVD off Amazon today. 12.97!

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 104
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/2/2006 11:31:29 PM   
JV

I've just watched the X-Files movies which was a tad outlandish but good fun. Like 2 episodes run together and with a bigger budget.

I remember seeing this at the cinema and being really pissed off with THAT bee!

I'm guessing the film is the reason why season 5 only has 20 episodes.

Zatoichi, season 3 is my fave. I would be buying off Amazon if I had the money too.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 105
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 9/2/2006 11:36:21 PM   
JV

Just started on season 6 this evening. I thought some of the dialogue in the first episode (The Beginning) was just awful, really trite, but then I think they were just trying to recap on what had happened in the interim for those who hadn't seen the film, and also for those who may have seen the film and been coaxed into watching The X-Files.

The second episode, Drive, I 100% remember seeing on TV and I really liked it. I liked the touch of the bloke at the roadblock in the decontamination suit thingy going "say what?" cos he was so wrapped-up to the gills in gear that he couldn't hear the police radio.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 106
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/2/2006 9:50:47 AM   
Zatoichi

Season 3 arrived today. That's good service.

Just watched the opening two-parter (three-parter if you count "Anasazi" from the last series) and so far, so really good.

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 10/2/2006 1:52:20 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 107
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 11/2/2006 1:04:09 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

I'm a big fan of that bee in the film, though maybe not the whole going unconscious thing, just that it stopped the kissing! Been yonks since I've seen The Beginning. You've some good stuff to look forward to, Dreamland 1 & 2 are very funny, quite a bit of humour in this season, Triangle, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, Arcadia has some amusing parts too.

The opening to season 3 is great, yup, this season has some real crackers in it.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 108
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/2/2006 4:16:32 PM   
Zatoichi

Yeah, Season 3 is going great so far. Just watched "The List" with the inmate on deathrow who says he'll kill five men from beyond the grave. A very interesting and clever episode, with some "nice" gore and a shocking final.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 109
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/2/2006 5:42:57 PM   
Zaphod121

wow is X-Files really that great? I've never really been into it.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 110
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/2/2006 8:59:25 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

Get into it Dude!!

I'm yet to start my Season One marathon (trying to get up to date on 24 first), but when I do, I may well have to purchase Season 2-4 as well (already got Seasons 5-8 on VHS boxsets) and obviously season 9, but once Duchovny took a back seat I didnt like it quite as much!

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 111
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/2/2006 9:38:38 PM   
beebs_

I have so much hate for that bee.

X Files was that great. It fell off during seasons 8 & 9 but there are so many good seasons to watch and get into.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 112
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/2/2006 11:05:21 PM   
JV

As much as I hated that bee, it would've been crap for them to get together. *sigh*

Anyway, I've just watched Triangle and Dreamland I, both corker episodes. It made me want to watch Dreamland II straight after but I must away to bed in a sec.

Triangle I remember watching the first time round after we'd taped it off the telly, and I remember rewinding the bit at the end where Mulder says "I love you" to Scully, trying to work out whether she said "oh fuck" or "oh my god".

Dreamland... Oh my. Having to deal with Morris's wife and then... That dance.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 113
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/2/2006 11:25:19 PM   
beebs_

I love season 6. They had kind of given up on the mythology by then. But the banter was at it's best by s6. There were some of the best stand alone episodes too.

God when Mulder said "I love you" to Scully... ::sigh:: I'm so sad.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 114
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 15/2/2006 12:22:44 AM   
JV

I've just watched the next 4 episodes. Season 6 is surprisingly good, and so far I'd already seen all these episodes before. Some great lines in there, and The Rain King was such a heartwarmer.

"Listen, Grandma Top Gun...."

Can't believe Bruce Campbell was in Terms Of Endearment though!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 115
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 15/2/2006 1:53:21 PM   
Zatoichi

Noticed a younger Kaylee from Firefly in "Oubliette", ya know, the one with the photographer who kidnaps little girls and locks them in his basement.

Just watched the "Nisei / 731" two-parter with the Japanese scientists and the secret railway.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 116
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/2/2006 2:01:05 PM   
*emz6*

just bought season 4 for 15 so well chuffed started watching first few epis seems good so far. i love spotting guest stars in it that have gone on to other things, saw Carl Lumbly in epi i just watched he is Dixon in Alias so the mere fact he has been in both shows makes the guy a legend! lol

wots anyone's thoughts on season 4, is it a good season? i aint seen any of it coz i was too young when it first was shown...

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 117
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/2/2006 7:24:59 PM   
krudler

i tihnk season 4 has the episode Home, which is one of the most twisted episodes of the x-files ever, just cross texas chainsaw with boxing helena and youve got a good idea of what to expect.....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 118
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/2/2006 10:59:42 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

ORIGINAL: *emz6*

just bought season 4 for 15 so well chuffed started watching first few epis seems good so far. i love spotting guest stars in it that have gone on to other things, saw Carl Lumbly in epi i just watched he is Dixon in Alias so the mere fact he has been in both shows makes the guy a legend! lol

wots anyone's thoughts on season 4, is it a good season? i aint seen any of it coz i was too young when it first was shown...

Season 4 is my fave so far (I've got 1 - 4 and 9). It was really getting into the swing of things, the mythology was growing and the show wasn't afraid to really try pushing boundries (just look at Home). Small Potatoes provided the comedy moments, Sanguinarium and Home provided the shock value (is that just me, or is Sanguinarium really twisted?) and the Tunguska two parter was the best the mythology has even been. I'm gonna buy season 5 soon, just to see if they topped it.

You've got a lot to look forward to

Trust No One

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 119
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/2/2006 11:33:34 PM   
beebs_

S4 is my joint favorite with S6.

Man I have some catching up to do! I'm gonna watch some S2 tonight...

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best season of the X-Files? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI