Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best season of the X-Files?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best season of the X-Files? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 12:06:46 AM   
JV

Rocky, I don't remember much about season 9, only the odd episode here & there. I didn't even mind Robert Patrick & Annabeth Gish being in it. But - GAH!!! - that last episode did ruin it.

On another note, I can't believe you have finished them ALL, Rocky! And I thought I was sad! Heh heh.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to RockyWilcox)
Post #: 31
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 12:10:36 AM   
RockyWilcox

Nah, I haven't watched them all yet. Haha. I always got the impression JV saw it as some competition. So, I had a laugh, sue me.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 32
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 12:12:42 AM   
JV

Not a competition, Rocky dearest. I'm merrily ambling along, not even halfway through yet.

Besides, we all know I'd kick your ass ninja stylee.

Post #: 33
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 12:17:43 AM   
RockyWilcox

I don't know about that. I was far, far behind you and overtook you rather quickly.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 34
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 10:43:27 PM   
Da Big Cheese

Season 9 was the only season I watched as it was aired. I quite liked it, not a patch on the older episodes of course but it had it's moments. I really enjoyed Audrey Pauley, Daemonicus and the one with the guys getting skinned alive. However, the mythology episodes were rubbish in comparason to the old ones. There was no more of the syndicate and no more Alex Krycek, and of course Mulder was missing throughout. Scully kinda became Mulder, she was now the believer and Doggett the sceptic. It wasn't bad, considering that they had removed the life and soul of the show. Admittedly, it'd have been worse if they'd have come up with some God awful plot just to have Mulder and Scully back together.

Trust No One

Post #: 35
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 10:47:43 PM   
JV

I barely remember season 9, although I think I didn't actually see that much of it. I remember it was after I moved to Newcastle, and at the time was often finishing work at 10:45pm so I could never really follow a TV series.

I have started season 5 tonight. Is it me, or has the size of the writing changed on the screen?  I watched Redux, Redux II, and the one after that which goes back to when Muldy met the Lone Gunmen in 1989 (check out the size of his mobile phone! ).

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 36
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 11/1/2006 12:42:45 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Season 9 is meh but I like some of it e.g. Improbable , the mythology is completely arseways in this season but I've gone on enough about that a few pages back.

Watched Small Potatoes last night...ahhhh fantastic. Scully not noticing Eddie as Mulder not knowing which key opened his office, the look on Mulder and Scully's faces when yer one brought up Star Wars, Eddie as Mulder, breaking part of the corpse..the whole F........B........I thing, dropping the clip from his gun hehe.
If I recall correctly from the special features they had to get permission from Lucas to reference Star Wars...

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 11/1/2006 12:43:26 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 37
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 11/1/2006 11:56:44 AM   
beebs_

Small Potatoes is a classic.

Shit! I really need to make the time to watch some of these episodes!

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 38
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 11/1/2006 9:25:29 PM   
JV

I've just watched The Post-Modern Prometheus.

What. The. Fuck.

Very amusing and touching episode! Loved the whole Cher thing, not to mention the mad scientist who had the voice & dialogue to successfully convey every cliché from old monster films.

*edit* The weird thing is that this morning I heard that song - is it The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore? - just this morning, although it was the original and not a Cher cover. I was like, "whoa.... spooky".

< Message edited by JV -- 12/1/2006 1:02:19 PM >

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 39
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/1/2006 10:11:27 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Post-Modern Prometheus is superb episode and should have won the damn Emmy. I actually missed it when it first aired I think...and Bad Blood too so didn't see it until I got the DVD. Probably not often you'd use the word beautiful in relation to the X Files but I'd say it applies to this episode. Great performance from Chris Owens (AKA Agent Jeffrey Spender) as the Mutato. So many great moments in the episode, Mulder in the cafe place, the mad scientist, scenes near the end.

MULDER: (looking at very strange image of a deformed fly) This fly has legs …
SCULLY: …. Growing out of his mouth.
MULDER: Why would you do that?
POLLIDORI: Because I can. (Lots of lightening flashes.)

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 12/1/2006 10:41:55 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 40
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 12/1/2006 11:49:10 PM   
JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erlenmeyer Flask

Watched Small Potatoes last night...ahhhh fantastic. Scully not noticing Eddie as Mulder not knowing which key opened his office, the look on Mulder and Scully's faces when yer one brought up Star Wars, Eddie as Mulder, breaking part of the corpse..the whole F........B........I thing, dropping the clip from his gun hehe.

Oh yeah, the fact she didn't notice he wasn't.... himself was hilarious, but I loved it when he asked her what she was doing that night and she said something like, "it's Friday night, I think I'm going to work on the case" - what a social life you have, Miss Scully.

Post #: 41
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 1:53:35 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Well, we never really saw much of their social lives which I suppose was a good thing as it just would have been tangents or boring soap type stuff. A few hints here and there, Mulder and his special phone calls...

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 42
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 11:12:54 AM   
beebs_

quote:

Well, we never really saw much of their social lives which I suppose was a good thing as it just would have been tangents or boring soap type stuff. A few hints here and there, Mulder and his special phone calls...

I guess we're supposed to see what kind of work obsessed, lonely people M&S are. It makes their relationship work better I think. Mulder did love his phone calls, movies and magazines!

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 43
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 11:15:42 AM   
Diamond Joe

Do you think they'll ever make the second film thats been treatening to appear for a while now?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 44
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 11:25:27 AM   
beebs_

If you go back to the early days of this tread you'll see what we all thought about it.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=5818&mpage=2&key=

I wouldn't mind one, but the moment has passed. It's a shame.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Diamond Joe)
Post #: 45
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 12:30:52 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

I guess we're supposed to see what kind of work obsessed, lonely people M&S are. It makes their relationship work better I think. Mulder did love his phone calls, movies and magazines!

Well, didn't Chris Carter insist at the beginning that Mulder and Scully should be workaholics and that while they were working together their social lives should be on hold? We've all seen the deleted scenes from the Pilot with Scully's boyfriend, hastily removed from the broadcast, and much to FOX's dissapointment CC refused to have Mulder and Scully paired up romantically.

We even see later on, around season 4, that Scully seems to regret giving up her life in pursuit of the truth. Even if it's just for brief moments, as soon as Scully contracts cancer she's aware that she's given, perhaps wasted, her life, and not for her own gains as such, but for Mulder's. It's noticable in the episode when Scully gets that tattoo, and nearly gets incinerated by the guy being controlled by the voice of Jodie Foster.

Trust No One

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 46
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 12:42:37 PM   
beebs_

I know that's what CC wanted. God, could you imagine Scully with a boyfriend? It wouldn't have worked.

As I said before the M/S dynamic would have been different if they weren't both locked away either with each other or their work. Their relationship of only trusting and depending on each other is more believable.

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 47
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 1:21:12 PM   
JV

Oh yeah, I think it's fitting that they're workaholics; people who have other interests would not go to the lengths Mulder & Scully went to to uncover the "truth".

As for a second movie, I think neither Anderson nor Duchovny would be up for it!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 48
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 2:47:37 PM   
beebs_

Actually about 5 or 6 months ago there was a bit of a buzz in the phile community (how fucking sad am I?) because both David and Gillian were going on about being signed up for it. There was a big halt to proceedings thanks to contract negotiations between Chris Carter and Fox. So it's not the actors disinterest that has stopped the movie being made.

But the time has passed now so I'm not sure how they feel about it now.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 49
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 3:15:41 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

I've been meaning to ask for ages, but what is the name of the guy who plays the alleged alien bounty hunter? No particular reason I want to know, just that he's an odd looking chap and I would love to look him up to see what sort of other roles he does!

He's called Brian Thompson and has appeared in classics such as;

Mortal Kombat Anihilation
Dragonheart
Star-Trek Generations

(and a small part in The Terminator)

< Message edited by jinks -- 13/1/2006 3:18:32 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 3:24:25 PM   
beebs_

I think he was the dude who got his clothes stolen by Arnie. Funny how he became the Terminator on X Files.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 51
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 8:58:45 PM   
Bumfluff

I'm sure Duchovny will be gagging to do another movie. It's not as if he has had much of a career since leaving the show is it?

Anderson, however, may be a little harder to persuade.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 52
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 9:15:35 PM   
JV

See that's it. I think Anderson has worked very hard not to get typecast (although now she has ended up as some sort of thespian queen of English period dramas!) in X-Filesy type TV roles, and I think the last thing she'd want is a return to Scully.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 53
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 13/1/2006 10:14:34 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

Actually about 5 or 6 months ago there was a bit of a buzz in the phile community (how fucking sad am I?) because both David and Gillian were going on about being signed up for it. There was a big halt to proceedings thanks to contract negotiations between Chris Carter and Fox. So it's not the actors disinterest that has stopped the movie being made.

But the time has passed now so I'm not sure how they feel about it now.

After carrying the show for 9 years, the show that originally FOX had refused to broadcast because they thought it wasn't good enough, I think that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson would have signed up for it simply for having so much faith that Chris Carter would do it justice and not let it slump. Especially if Rob Bowman came back to direct and Frank Spotnitz was heavily involved throughout.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

He's called Brian Thompson and has appeared in classics such as;

Mortal Kombat Anihilation

Classics! We all use the term loosely

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bumfluff

I'm sure Duchovny will be gagging to do another movie. It's not as if he has had much of a career since leaving the show is it?

David Duchovny is a massively talented actor, and it's unfortunate that he's become so sucked into the role of Fox Mulder that some of his roles even send up the character. Ira Kane in Evolution, and the voice he did in the Playstation game, Area 51.

Trust No One

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 54
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 14/1/2006 11:29:11 AM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Da Big Cheese

and it's unfortunate that he's become so sucked into the role of Fox Mulder that some of his roles even send up the character. Ira Kane in Evolution, and the voice he did in the Playstation game, Area 51.

That isnt unforunate...he left the show through fear of forever being remembered as Mulder & then jumps into jobs, such as the two you mention above, that do nothing to help him break away from being typecast.

My Cinema Diaries

Post #: 55
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 14/1/2006 8:00:48 PM   
Zatoichi

Started on Season 2 today. "The Host" was pretty freaky.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 56
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/1/2006 2:48:01 PM   
Da Big Cheese

The last disk of season 2 has the freakiest episodes. Season 2 was odd, for me anyway. My all time fave episodes are in season 2, but also the ones I disliked the most were season 2 too.

Trust No One

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 57
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/1/2006 5:31:36 PM   
Diamond Joe

season 2 is a beast and so are 3,4,6...never really liked 5 for some reason - think its because they were working on the movie at the same time and just got stretched a bit much. just got season 8 on dvd so its on to that now WAHOO.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Post #: 58
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/1/2006 5:55:43 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

It's always the same stuff that gets rehashed about a second film, there's feck all new at this stage it's hard to have faith that anything will happen. It would be interesting to see some fresh XF material (once it's not fucking convoluted invasion arcs) on the big screen though, if there is, here's hoping they get it right. Duchovny is probably more interested in it as he needs something to resuscitate his career, as Bumfluff said Anderson mightn't been as keen to do it. I don't know what the holdup is, a falling out between Chris Carter and Fox before season 9 wrapped? What happened to the self confessed workaholic, OK, taking a rest after a decade of working long hours etc but surely he could get to writing now?

For those continuing to watch the DVDs, enjoy!

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 16/1/2006 5:58:58 PM >

(in reply to Diamond Joe)
Post #: 59
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 16/1/2006 7:14:11 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

It's always the same stuff that gets rehashed about a second film, there's feck all new at this stage it's hard to have faith that anything will happen. It would be interesting to see some fresh XF material (once it's not fucking convoluted invasion arcs) on the big screen though, if there is, here's hoping they get it right. Duchovny is probably more interested in it as he needs something to resuscitate his career, as Bumfluff said Anderson mightn't been as keen to do it. I don't know what the holdup is, a falling out between Chris Carter and Fox before season 9 wrapped? What happened to the self confessed workaholic, OK, taking a rest after a decade of working long hours etc but surely he could get to writing now?

For those continuing to watch the DVDs, enjoy!

Maybe the whole second movie thing is bullshit? In a way, I hope it is because if it was a let down it'd be the biggest travesty in history, even bigger than the appalling cock up of Matrix Revolutions. Maybe Chris Carter is still doing other stuff, I know that Millenium has finished but wasn't he doing a show called Harsh Realm?

Trust No One

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best season of the X-Files? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI