Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The X-Files

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The X-Files Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The X-Files - 1/10/2005 2:41:47 PM   
Boring Prophet

I'm thinking of picking up a season of the X-Files later and I'd like to know which is the best. Obviously, I'll probably end up going for the first one, but still.  

< Message edited by Boring Prophet -- 12/3/2006 7:22:31 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 1/1/2006 7:50:29 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

If anyone doesn't already have Season 1, I've just noticed that play.com are currently selling the M-Lock version for 12.99.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=strr1&page=title&r=R2&title=866898

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

"Please don't interrupt me when I'm asking rhetorical questions."

"Death is...whimsical today"
Post #: 2
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 1/1/2006 10:26:49 PM   
Da Big Cheese

Cheers

Trust No One
Post #: 3
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 1/1/2006 10:34:19 PM   
JV

You can also post in the Title thread in the Empire Online forum and a random mod will pick up your request and action it, Cheesy.

I have had me quite an X-Filesfest today. I haven't felt particularly great so I stayed in and watched - wait for it - 6 episodes. I think that is a record for me.

I saw Never Again which just amused me - Scully goes on a date for the first time in years and winds up a foot away from being incinerated, poor thing.

Memento Mori has the true start of the cancer story thingy, which is touching, mostly.

I don't think I'd ever seen Leonard Betts before. Interesting to see ER's Dr Romano has a TV career in medicine.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Da Big Cheese)
Post #: 4
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 1/1/2006 11:30:42 PM   
Zatoichi

Just watched "Ice" from season one. Great episode with a very interesting dilemma for Mulder and Scully.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 5
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 2/1/2006 2:13:40 AM   
batrico

Finally own all nine seasons of the series.Bought season 8 the other day now my collection is complete.Most were less than 30euro tooNow i can start watching the series again right from the beginning with no adds.Wonder how long will it take to watch the whole lot lol..

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 6
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 2/1/2006 9:10:57 AM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

I don't think I'd ever seen Leonard Betts before. Interesting to see ER's Dr Romano has a TV career in medicine.

I hadn't seen Leonard Betts before a few days ago, we're at about the same point in the DVD set methinks . But, a few years ago there was an X Files night on BBC2, where they showed documentaries, the Pilot episode, and the Simpsons with Mulder and Scully etc. I remember in the documentary they showed that clip when Leonard Betts' replacement head comes up through his mouth!! I remember thinking, what the hell!?!

They also showed that freaky bit in Requiem when Scully walks into the forcefield thing out in the woods, and she's suspended in the air having a fit or something. Weird...

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 7
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 2/1/2006 10:38:22 PM   
JV

I've just watched errrr I think it's called Kaddish (not sure of the title there) and Unrequited and I didn't think much of them. Sure, they were interesting enough, but.... That's it. No Mulder Magic. No Scully Sorcery.

At this point, if I had to pick a favourite season, it would be season 3.

Post #: 8
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 3/1/2006 9:22:59 AM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

I've just watched errrr I think it's called Kaddish (not sure of the title there) and Unrequited and I didn't think much of them. Sure, they were interesting enough, but.... That's it. No Mulder Magic. No Scully Sorcery.

At this point, if I had to pick a favourite season, it would be season 3.

I didn't think much of Kaddish either, but Unrequited I thought was cool. I've noticed that a fair few episodes are pretty similar to old episodes. For example, I thought that Teliko was similar to Squeeze and Tooms from the first season, in the sense that the killer is a human who's taken a leap forward in evolution, but needs something from his victims to survive. Not just that, but it ends with Scully crawling around in an air vent! again!!

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 9
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 5/1/2006 1:40:09 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Unruhe is a good solid ep, I like The Field Where I Died too, though it does come in for a bit of stick sometimes. I like Paper Hearts a lot though it is somewhat unsettling given the subject matter, a pretty haunting episode for Mulder. Never Again is a good Scully ep, later on Memento Mori the cancer arc, well done IMO and follows into season 5. Kaddish is so so. I've always liked the Max/Tempus Fugit two parter. Some good stuff left in season 4, Small Potatoes is great fun. FBI. F-B-I...

SKINNER: You spelled Federal Bureau of Investigation wrong.
EDDIE AS MULDER: It was a typo.
SKINNER: Twice.

Wait until you get to Bad Blood and Post Modern Prometheus in season 5, both classic episodes, I like The End too...Mulder's office.

Think I'll try and flog my s7 and s8 VHS sets and get the DVDs.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 5/1/2006 1:41:13 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 10
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 5/1/2006 6:17:41 PM   
Boring Prophet

Haven't been here in a long time nor watched an episode in a while. Watched Sanguinarium and Tunguska today. Krycek sure took a lot of shit in that episode.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 11
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 10:31:40 AM   
Da Big Cheese

Yea, having his hand cut off is pretty rough. Although Krycek takes a lot of shit throughout the 7 seasons he's involved in. I'll never forget the ep in season 3 (the second part of Piper Maru - I forget what it's called) when he ends up puking the black oil from every oriface in his face. Gruesome .

Going back to Tunguska, when he does get his hand cut off, it never explains how Mulder gets out of Russia. We see that guy brandishing the knife, ready to give Mulder the good news, and next he walks into the FBI tribunial. What's going on? An explaination, please.

Trust No One

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 12
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 11:13:25 AM   
JV

Ah but see, The X-Files is, in essence, The Unexplained, so why would you expect answers, Cheesy Boy?

I've just noticed that the X-Files film is on TV tonight. It goes between seasons 5 and 6, right? I think I'll tape it and save it for then.

Last night I watched Tempus Fugit. Would have watched the one after it that continues on but I decided to watch My Name Is Earl. Awwww, that poor agent who took a bullet to the chest because he fancies Scully. Love's unkind.

Post #: 13
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 2:47:45 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

It goes between seasons 5 and 6, right? I think I'll tape it and save it for then.

Correctamundo.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 14
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 4:05:44 PM   
JV

Just watched Small Potatoes. I remember this from when it originally aired. Genius!

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 15
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 4:14:21 PM   
Zatoichi

Finished watching Season One the other day and bought Season Two today.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 16
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 5:18:59 PM   
Bumfluff

Is that the one where the lady thinks she's been impregnated by Luke Skywalker?

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 17
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 7:09:29 PM   
JV

Yes it is, 'Fluffy! Very funny episode.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 18
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 10:53:31 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Poor Pendrell takes the bullet in Tempus Fugit. Small Potatoes is indeed genius, haven't seen it for years though. Fight The Future on ITV, it's a wonder the Beeb didn't get it given they showed the series but ITV seem to show it at least once a year.

Mulder: Take your best shot, Scully, but I think there's more going on here than Luke Skywalker and his light saber.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 19
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 7/1/2006 10:58:05 PM   
JV

I'm about to tape Fight The Future.

I love the way Mulder has a theory in Small Potatoes and Scully guesses it before he even utters a word.  And her whole "on behalf of the women of the world, I can safely say it has nothing to do with consensual sex" line is cool, not that I got that down verbatim though. Heh heh.

*edit* Oh and in Small Potatoes, the whole "are you talkin' to me?" scene in Mulder's apartment....

< Message edited by JV -- 7/1/2006 11:32:56 PM >

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 20
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 11:21:19 AM   
Da Big Cheese

Haven't seen Fight The Future for a long time, got in on DVD though...

Watched Small Potatoes for the first time last night. I wasn't a fan of the earlier comedy episodes like Jose Chung and War of the Coprahages, but this one really was brilliant. The scene in Mulder's apartment , and the little visual gags like when Mulder and Scully arrive at the house, just in time to see the silent H fall off the sign. Genius, no other serious show can get away with episodes like this.

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 21
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 11:51:12 AM   
JV

You know, even in the shower this morning I was still giggling over Small Potatoes, and that sort of thing never happens!

Post #: 22
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 12:56:52 PM   
Da Big Cheese

quote:

You know, even in the shower this morning I was still giggling over Small Potatoes, and that sort of thing never happens!

Did you stand in the mirror and pose with an FBI badge / gun?

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 23
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 6:09:13 PM   
JV

Nope, my mirror is small and is above the sink. I was actually in the shower just thinking about, well, anything, and I just thought of Small Potatoes and it made me laugh.

I've just watched the last 4 episodes of season 4. Man, Small Potatoes is the last bit of light relief of that season! The last 4 episodes are quite heavygoing. I remember watching that last episode actually and being desperate to know the outcome! I think that was the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers.

Post #: 24
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 7:32:11 PM   
Da Big Cheese

The X Files always gets heavy going at the end of a series, I reckon. I still remember Our Town near the end of season 2, along with The Calusari and Anasazi. I think it's Our Town that resulted in the season 2 boxset getting the 18 certificate. That's one gruesome episode.

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 25
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 8/1/2006 7:35:40 PM   
JV

Popular consensus is that it was The Calusari cos of the kid and the occult etc etc etc, that led to the 18 cert.

But, the truth is... we don't know.

The truth is out there, though.

Hey, Cheesy, you got your title changed! Seems familiar - where's it from? .....Just kidding.

Post #: 26
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 9/1/2006 10:54:03 PM   
Da Big Cheese

Hmm... could be the Calusari, I remember thinking that episode was a bit heavy going, especially with the toddler following the balloon onto the rail tracks. Or am I thinking of the wrong episode?

But then again, I remember the writer of Our Town saying that cannibalism is, or was, a taboo at the time of broadcast and that people were majorly shocked by the episode.

Yea, I got my name changed and I wonder where it's from?! I was going to change my avatar to the X Files logo but I thought that might be a little too much. Along with my signiture, I wouldn't want people to get the impression that I'm a fan of the show .

Watched Zero Sum and Elegy earlier. Zero Sum was awesome, one of my fave episodes in the series! I think I've seen Elegy before, the appiration in the bathroom was freaky. Although I watched it about half an hour ago, and it's a lil dark and quiet in my house...

Hey JV, I think we're the only 2 people left on this thread . Nobody loves us anymore??

Trust No One

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 27
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 9/1/2006 11:10:58 PM   
JV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Da Big Cheese

Hey JV, I think we're the only 2 people left on this thread . Nobody loves us anymore??

Like Mulder & Scully, who only really have each other.

Post #: 28
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 9/1/2006 11:39:59 PM   
RockyWilcox

I finished Season Nine the other night. What a load of shite. Ruined the whole thing for me.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 29
RE: Best season of the X-Files? - 10/1/2006 12:01:15 AM   
beebs_

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockyWilcox

I finished Season Nine the other night. What a load of shite. Ruined the whole thing for me.

God, S9 was bad. Evil bad. But I'm just talking from the little memory I have of it. I know S1-7 so well. Apart from William (shite storyline. Very nicely acted/played out. If that makes any sense) and The Truth (it was crap I know, but I have a weakness for Mulder & Scully having heart to hearts in motels. ::sigh::) I just blank it out really.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to RockyWilcox)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The X-Files Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI