Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Seven Samurai Gets a Remake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Seven Samurai Gets a Remake Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 12:35:23 PM   
themessiah

Probably the worst news I have heard all year... although

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060601j.php

"Leave me to judge who is innocent!"
Post #: 1
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:04:36 PM   
elab49

Almost. I find the prospective remake of Ikiru - with Jim Sheridan attached - even more horrifying!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 2
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:25:50 PM   
Jasiri

Read something about this,Clooney allegedly in Takashi Shimura's role and yeah Jim Sheridan's long rumoured even more pointless remake of Ikiru is still a possibility as well.I'll never understand attempting to remake films that are faultless.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 2/6/2006 1:28:10 PM >

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 3
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:36:35 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

I'll never understand attempting to remake films that are faultless.

It's illogical for sure. Remake bad films into better ones for crying out loud - Krull would be better than the Lord of the Rings if someone happened to make in today's world. If not remake old films that would benefit with the standard of today's effects - both The Fly and The Thing highlight what can be done when you take a 50's B-Movie genre flick and turn it into tense and horrorfying sci-fi chiller. Imagine what The Dambusters would be like today with Lancaster's flying at 200mph at 60 feet over roof tops before blowing the Mohne and the Eder - now I'd like that to be remade. There are certainly movies out there that could benefit from being remade, yet Hollywood are all to happy to cash in on the name of known classics and make an absolute travesty of them. Why remake a film as perfect as the Seven Samurai?

(Unless it's the Magnificient Seven... which in someways highlights that the basic plot of Kurosawa's movie is spectacularly universal - maybe that's why a remakes being discussed, because the storyline is something that any generation can appreciate. Hell, even The Three Amigo's has many a nod in Kurosawa's knowing direction).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 4
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:43:10 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

I'll never understand attempting to remake films that are faultless.

It's illogical for sure. Remake bad films into better ones for crying out loud - Krull would be better than the Lord of the Rings if someone happened to make in today's world. If not remake old films that would benefit with the standard of today's effects - both The Fly and The Thing highlight what can be done when you take a 50's B-Movie genre flick and turn it into tense and horrorfying sci-fi chiller.

Nowadays they'd be more likely to remake The Thing rather than Thing From Another World

Not sure I'd want to see a remake of something like Dambusters though - there is a spirit to those old British black and white war movies that would be really hard to replicate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:45:47 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

Why remake a film as perfect as the Seven Samurai?

I concur. The very thought of it is absurd and borders on insanity.

The "Krull" idea actually sounds rather good though 

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 6
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:49:40 PM   
Ti

Actually if you look at the impressive worldwide box-office numbers pulled in by The Last Samurai, this could be a very good bet. Don't look at it as a sacrilegious thing, look at it as an hommage. I'll watch it!

It's true, I'm a rageoholic! I just can't get enough RAGEOHOL!

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 7
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:49:52 PM   
Timon

George Clooney? As a Samurai? With Donnie Yen? Who's not even Japanese.....?

The mind boggles.

I can only assume it's a modern day 'Ronin' situation.

Jessica, how can you have - 11,700 posts?!

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/6/2006 1:50:20 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 8
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:52:31 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Not sure I'd want to see a remake of something like Dambusters though - there is a spirit to those old British black and white war movies that would be really hard to replicate.

It would be difficult to reproduce the old stiff upper-lippedness of the near accurate portrayals of Gibson or the tenacious spirit of good old Barnes Wallace, for sure. But for the spectacle of the attack on the Mohne, Eder and Sorbe dams would benefit greatly. Maybe they could splice new sequences together with the old footage to make a near perfect movie.

Or maybe not...

One question - what would they name Gibson's dog in this day and age? Do we stick with historical accuracy that Gibson was a bit of a racist bigot or amend it so that it calls no offence? 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:55:36 PM   
sanchia

There are definitely some things which should be left alone.  I presume they are hoping that the general cinema going public will be unfamiliar with the original.  It just goes to show the current unimaginative quality of Hollywood.

As stated there must be dozens of semi classics, not that well made but with a decent premise, which are ripe for remaking.  It is just sheer laziness and even arrogance that there is the feeling that they can remake and probably in their opinion improve upon the originals of such clasics as Seven Samurai.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 10
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:55:47 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca
The "Krull" idea actually sounds rather good though 

Somebody give me 100 million and I'll make it...

Todd Carty will play Prince Colwyn... 

Post #: 11
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:56:22 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It would be difficult to reproduce the old stiff upper-lippedness of the near accurate portrayals of Gibson or the tenacious spirit of good old Barnes Wallace, for sure. But for the spectacle of the attack on the Mohne, Eder and Sorbe dams would benefit greatly. Maybe they could splice new sequences together with the old footage to make a near perfect movie.

Or maybe not...

One question - what would they name Gibson's dog in this day and age? Do we stick with historical accuracy that Gibson was a bit of a racist bigot or amend it so that it calls no offence? 

Perhaps they just don't mention the dog by name at all...........or, in a display of reverse racism, call him Whitey?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 12
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 1:58:19 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

George Clooney? As a Samurai? With Donnie Yen? Who's not even Japanese.....?

The mind boggles.

I can only assume it's a modern day 'Ronin' situation.

Jessica, how can you have - 11,700 posts?!

Your guess is as good as mine, Timon. I like to think it's because a select few of us are special  Could be wrong though.

As for this remake - The Last Samurai is not a remake is it? Seven Samurai - a film that claims spectacular cinematic acclaim in its own right - does not need to be remade. It is what it is.

And George Clooney starring? Am I in hell?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 2:01:46 PM   
elab49

quote:

Excellent point. Whichever would no doubt result in argument.

So what you're proposing now is a kind of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid of a panoramic war film?

quote:

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 14
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 2:12:00 PM   
Ti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

As for this remake - The Last Samurai is not a remake is it? Seven Samurai - a film that claims spectacular cinematic acclaim in its own right - does not need to be remade. It is what it is.

And George Clooney starring? Am I in hell?

That's not the point. The point was The Last Samurai was a huge success worldwide, and with Clooney possibly starring (although he may be only producing), the premise might be a bit similar.
As I said, take it as an hommage. It is only a movie. Relax, people, it could be good.

It's true, I'm a rageoholic! I just can't get enough RAGEOHOL!

My books

My Blu-ray collection

Post #: 15
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 2/6/2006 3:15:19 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ti
As I said, take it as an hommage. It is only a movie. Relax, people, it could be good.

It could be although I wouldn't hold out much hope,Donnie Yen & George Clooney ,but even if it is it's still going to be a pale imitation when compared to the original,just as The Magnificent Seven is.Ikiru's the same,there's nothing to neccesarily stop a remake being a reasonable film in it's own right,there are elements of Kurosawa's story that are tied up with Japanese culture but you could get around those while still keeping the basic premise which is universal,but it's just daft to remake something which is perfect.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 16
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 3/6/2006 6:28:55 PM   
zeppelin

I can't think of any good news from this, except for the fact seven samurai may get a super dooper special edition, which I would be buying, even though I have the criterion.

"In Heaven, Everything Is Fine"

Say NO to zionism

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 17
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 4/6/2006 12:55:42 PM   
KennyM

Just give us an original idea.... just once in a while.
Everything is remake remake remake.

(in reply to zeppelin)
Post #: 18
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 4/6/2006 5:46:40 PM   
Ghidorah

Toho should of done a remake or sequel to mark the 50th Anniversary in 2004(sorry but I can't spell). They done it to Godzilla and I felt they miss out big time. Sadly now Toho isn't the powerhouse it use to be unless I am mistaken. Meaning they can't point their finger up at hollywood and say *fu'k off*.

Another thing I like to add, when a film become a success in the cinema, it depend on the first weekend takings. If it done bad in the first three days then the film won't be stay long in the cinema which is why we often get short cuts of films like Kingdom of Heaven, AVP, Dare Devil etc. 7 Samurai is a 3 hour film, a remake will chop a lot out or completely screw the story up to create something completely different.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 19
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 5/6/2006 9:34:23 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

7 Samurai is a 3 hour film, a remake will chop a lot out or completely screw the story up to create something completely different.

Exactly. I'm sick of all these remakes to be honest. Why can't they simply create a remake of a film that was lacklustre to begin with? The storyline will be haphazard if they try and "modernise" Seven Samurai.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 20
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 31/7/2006 6:38:05 PM   
Bobby1975

If anyone is still reading this thread. Do you mean that Hollywood actors are actually going to dress up like 16th century samurai and take the original characters names? Or will there be a very clever plot device to get half a dozen white people in to the medieval Japanese countryside ala Last Samurai?

Non servium.

Post #: 21
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 31/7/2006 7:23:55 PM   
The Captain

Classic film . it should NOT be touched by anyone !

" I would have followed you to the end , to the very fires of morder "

(in reply to Bobby1975)
Post #: 22
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 31/7/2006 7:29:25 PM   
Mikey C

It's already been remade twice though, with cowboys and ants. I don't see why people get so upset about remakes; they're pointless, but why fight it, man? I mean, it's not Kurosawa didn't take western stories and make them Japanese.

A remake of Ikiru could be interesting; I'm surprised they haven't done it before. A version which ties more to Western sensibilities could actually be interesting.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Bobby1975)
Post #: 23
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 31/7/2006 7:53:31 PM   
bubs

There's rumours that Tarrentino will write and direct. I like Tarrentino's work, but I hope the rumours are not true. Besides Tarrentino's speciality is dialogue, it just won't fit well, and this is too dramatic for QT to direct. Anyway , this film is a masterwork, you should never remake masterpieces. I mean you don't see artists remaking Picasso's masterpiece Guernica to please the yanks or the new generation of kids. Hollywood PLEASE don't touch anymore classics, even if they aint in english, or even if they're old or dated.

"Shake it once, shake it twice! A' give me a little bit of sugar spice!"- Bubs

Forza Juve

"Who Watches The Watchmen?"

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint
3. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
4. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

My DVD's: http://perrin-bubs-f-rch.dvdaf.com/owned

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 24
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 31/7/2006 10:10:45 PM   
Cuchulainn

Clooney...Seven Samurai...remake...I can see the nightmares already...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 25
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 1/8/2006 12:56:11 PM   
Maria Noir

First Memoirs of A Geisha, now this. Why do they keep using Chinese actors to play Japanese parts?!

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 26
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 16/10/2011 9:57:21 PM   
Timon

Well Christopher McQuarrie's in charge and it's going to be set in the present - in Afghanistan - with Navy SEALs. And his brother is a SEAL, so I guess that part will be accurate.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51610

(in reply to themessiah)
Post #: 27
RE: Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 16/10/2011 11:04:01 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Well Christopher McQuarrie's in charge and it's going to be set in the present - in Afghanistan - with Navy SEALs. And his brother is a SEAL, so I guess that part will be accurate.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51610

Oh pissballs, this is going to be complete shite from beginning to end. Another film jumps on the Seal Team 6 bandwagon for more Reagan esque flag wavers. Fuck right off.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Rubicon - Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 17/10/2011 11:13:01 AM   
Timon

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-mcquarrie-write-direct-navy-seal-film-rubicon/

I don't know - it could be quite good. I like that graphic novel art.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 29
RE: Rubicon - Seven Samurai Gets a Remake - 14/3/2012 1:16:29 PM   
Timon

I heard Scott Mann (The Tournament) is now directing. Urgh. While that film was entertaining in a Crank-kind of way, I was hoping McQuarie would make a richer film.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Seven Samurai Gets a Remake Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI