Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Little Women - 28/5/2006 1:29:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Little Women - 28/5/2006 1:29:50 PM   
qualidad

A beautifully considered and fabulously directed film. Huge production value, wonderful sets and fabulous costumes convincingly bring us into the late 19th century. Great performances also by Susan Sanrandon and a very young Kirsten Dunst but, for me, let down by Winona Rider, who doesn't have the gravitas for this role, and the terrible German accent of Gabriel Byrne. In terms of the script, there are interesting character arcs but it seems to lose a little pace and direction in the second hour. Good but not great.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Little Women - 29/5/2006 6:49:58 PM   
Lorelai

Cerainly a beautiful film made of a wonderful story. The set and cast are very enjoyable. Despite the radiant Winona Ryder as Jo and Kirsten Dunst as Amy it seems like Claire Danes as Beth is stealing the show.
This is a movie to enjoy with all senses and sentiments.
It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and you will love it.

Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

(in reply to qualidad)
Post #: 3
RE: Little Women - 29/5/2006 8:30:36 PM   
Fenwick

Not the worst version, I personally dont like Winona Ryder but she was good in this. Nothing compares to the 1933 Cukor version though!

"Your ass is already on the line. The only question is, what are you gonna do about it?"

Snakes on crack!

(in reply to Lorelai)
Post #: 4
RE: Little Women - 1/6/2006 5:45:05 PM   
rick_7

*SPOILERS*

The Cukor film is unquestionably the finest adaptation, though I have a soft, mushy spot for Mervyn LeRoy's cloying, manipulative 1949 Technicolo(u)r version.  The shameless shifting around of the character's ages to kill off the obscenely talented (and appealing) Margaret O'Brien is a cruel masterstroke and gives the film a real emotional kick.  Further, any film with C. Aubrey Smith, Janet Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor in has got to be worth a look, while June Allyson's broad, corny performance as Jo is surprisingly affecting.  Armstrong's 1994 reading of the novel overdoses on feminism (much of it imagined by the screenwriters) but gets by thanks to the strength of the performances, and the love with which it was apparently crafted.  It also has one of the best (or worst) ever screen kisses: a long line of dribble momentarily flopping about between the lovestruck faces of Batman and the thief, following their tender clinch.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 1/6/2006 5:46:48 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Fenwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Little Women - 2/6/2006 10:44:59 AM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fenwick

I personally dont like Winona Ryder

"That would be most good. Most good..."

Haha. Awesome.

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to Fenwick)
Post #: 6
They don't make them like this anymore... - 5/7/2006 12:28:10 AM   
jura86

The 21st century seems far too cynical for films such as 'Little Women', which is a great shame - every film has to rely on some sort of gimmick or catch in order to secure that big opening weekend, rather than allow a beautiful, emotional drama such as this slowly build up word-of-mouth. Okay, so it doesn't really deserve the five stars, but I admit I'm trying to tip the balance of user ratings higher, it certainly was better than 3 stars - a magnificent cast in a truly heart warming and heart wrenching tale - Winona Ryder is fantastic - whatever happened to her? I miss that fine actress, its a shame that a bit of kleptomania can ruin a career.

Post #: 7
Power To Little Women! - 25/7/2008 11:32:47 AM   
joanna likes films

This movie is perfect for all the family, nothing harmful at all to corrput their minds. There is romance, sister love, sadness, laughter, fun and beautiful landscapes. The peformances are strong and wonderful, Winona Rider is perfect as Jo who creates the story at the end and finally finding love with Gabriel Byrne. Christian Bale is handsome and totally frowning-free in this, he screams sexy no matter what! A powerful, moving film with amazing pefomances and a strong script. So much better than some of the female films of today.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Little Women Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI