Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" section?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" section? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" section? - 24/5/2006 5:10:34 PM   
Joe

A refuge for those who wish to escape from the nauseating love people have for sub par pap? I seem to remember such a section in the old forum...

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona
Post #: 1
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 5:33:48 PM   
clownfoot

James binned it. No it's not coming back!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 5:35:39 PM   
Joe

Any particular reason?

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 3
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 5:42:19 PM   
clownfoot

I think the original reason James gave was to cut down on the size of unnecessary forums and to increase the post turnover in Movie Musings. I'm sure that still stands.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 4
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 5:49:53 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

I think the original reason James gave was to cut down on the size of unnecessary forums and to increase the post turnover in Movie Musings. I'm sure that still stands.

Like Red Carpet, The Empire Awards, The Games/T.V./Book/Soundtrack section?

Eric Cantona

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 5:58:33 PM   
lulu karma

Those are forums that are connected to posting done from the main pages of the site and not through the forum alone.

I've read a lot of posts explaining those forums.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 6
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 6:30:38 PM   
Indio

Its a damn shame, I loved the abuse and insults I got on a daily basis for about 3 months, and all because I started a thread to say I couldn't stand Team America.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 7
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 9:06:50 PM   
Joe

Well sadly it's the risk you run when you post an unpopular decision. I just think it'd be more tolerated in such a section.

Think about it, if you see a thread in Movie Musings about a film you don't like you're more likely not to go into it to post your opinion on why you don't like it (especially if you have experience of getting abuse for criticising much loved crap.) However, if you go into a most loathed section and see a thread about the film you'll see that there's someone else who doesn't like it and will be more willing to look at the thread. Of course the counter argument is that fans will come in to defend the film, but I still think it's a good section that should be resurrected.

Anybody else agree?

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 8
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 9:17:38 PM   
UTB

It should be resurrected. Otherwise people just wait until they can think of 10 films they dont like and post them in the "top 10" forum.

Bring it back please. pweeeeeeeeeeease

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 9
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 9:20:04 PM   
furrybastard

There's enough complaining on these forums already. Although if it gets rid of the "Ctzen Caine is BO-RING!" threads and their ilk I'd be happy with that.

There has never been any real problem with someone criticising a much loved film if they put across their points in a manner that isn't dismissive of others. And if they actually go into why they didn't like the film rather than just criticising it based on the fact that lots of other people like it.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 24/5/2006 9:22:04 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 24/5/2006 10:26:24 PM   
lulu karma

Joe, your question asking why there isn't a Most Loathed is not unfair.  On the old forum, there was a Most Loved and Most Loathed section.  Most Loathed hardly had any turnover or threads intended for that forum somehow kept finding their way into Movie Musings and that was the reason for it to be taken off the list in the end.

It was not a random thought but quite a lot of consideration went into the matter.  A few forums over time have been dropped from the list after it was monitored how much turnover they produced.

I agree with furrybastard's post that people can handle debate about why you may not like a film in an adoration thread much more than if you simply criticize without any input to back up why you don't like it.  On the other hand, it's also fair that if people don't like a film, that those that love the film be able to state why they feel as they do if they enter a "I Hate X Film" thread.

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 24/5/2006 10:28:52 PM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 11
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 12:13:28 AM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

Joe, your question asking why there isn't a Most Loathed is not unfair.  On the old forum, there was a Most Loved and Most Loathed section.  Most Loathed hardly had any turnover or threads intended for that forum somehow kept finding their way into Movie Musings and that was the reason for it to be taken off the list in the end.

It was not a random thought but quite a lot of consideration went into the matter.  A few forums over time have been dropped from the list after it was monitored how much turnover they produced.

I agree with furrybastard's post that people can handle debate about why you may not like a film in an adoration thread much more than if you simply criticize without any input to back up why you don't like it.  On the other hand, it's also fair that if people don't like a film, that those that love the film be able to state why they feel as they do if they enter a "I Hate X Film" thread.

Fair enough Lulu, thanks for your answer! I just feel sometimes that people can get a little over-zealous and sometimes even personal when you have an opinion about a film or film maker that isn't popular - even if it's backed up. Therefore the only people you ge tgoing against the status quo are the equally as zealous, and that leads to mindless one-up-manship that adds little to debate.

Eric Cantona

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 12
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 12:18:58 AM   
lulu karma

I understand what you mean.  It is one of those situations where on a forum that sometimes people just can't hear that something they loved/hated is not viewed the same way no matter how you present your views.  Things can get heated and people can get overly personal, very true.  It's (for better lack of a term) the nature of the beast.

That's the reason the forum has mods to come in and offer snacks and other items to distract away from arguing when it goes too far.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 13
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 12:32:57 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

That's the reason the forum has mods to come in and offer snacks and other items to distract away from arguing when it goes too far.

So what you're saying is that if there is more trouble, we get more snacks!?

I'm off to Movie Musings to start a "Is Peter Jackson the new George Lucas" thread...

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 14
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 12:40:25 AM   
lulu karma

We're fresh out of Nutella.  No idea where it all went.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 15
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 1:13:03 AM   
Joe

I'll totally sell out and denounce Evil Dead II for a Milky Bar Chunky.

Eric Cantona

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 16
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 1:30:38 AM   
lulu karma

Would you PM Moderator Clownfoot and tell him that?  He is really anti-Evil Dead and would love to know that others feel as he does.  Honest.  

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 17
RE: Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" sec... - 25/5/2006 1:50:07 AM   
Joe

I actually do like EDII, I'm just really hungry.

And stop trying to get me in trouble.

Eric Cantona

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Why is there no "Most Loathed Movies" section? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI