Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 24/10/2006 1:43:05 PM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deadly_Little_Miho

well after e-mailing them my turnaround seems alot better. But for some reason my rental queue is listing that I have four DVDs at home. Well two at home, two on the way. Anyone else have this? They better not charge me extra.

This has previously happened to me way back when when I was with Webflix (who were taken over by Lovefilm) and I wasn't charged.  They gave me a month of 1 extra disc.  I had to phone up to find out what was happening, they didn't send me an email or anything.  I suspect the same in happening in your case.

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Deadly_Little_Miho)
Post #: 121
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 24/10/2006 5:54:15 PM   
pete c

Not impressed with lovefilm,sent a film back early friday morning and it still says awaiting allocation.

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 122
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 26/10/2006 1:50:32 PM   
pete c

Stll pissing waiting!!!! 

(in reply to pete c)
Post #: 123
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 29/10/2006 9:23:18 AM   
brampski

I'm having problems with Amazon's DVD rental at the moment.

I'm on the 3 discs a month, one at a time deal, and recently watched and returned Confetti.

I then got an email telling me I had returned the wrong DVD.  This is total bollocks as I put the disc straight from my player into the case and then into its envelope. 

So I emailed them to politely tell them to not be so stupid, only to get a 2nd email insisting they were right and I should "report a problem" so I can request a replacement case to send the disc back.

Obviously there is no point doing this as I don't have the bloody disc, but in the meantime it doesn't look like they are sending the next DVD on my list.

Wankers!

What are the occasions that warrant a dancing banana?

(in reply to pete c)
Post #: 124
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 7/11/2006 4:49:55 PM   
Chopper

Well so far....slightly slow allocation with Lovefilm one week but other than that, it appears to be a better service than Screen Select. I get mostly higher priority films, all recent releases AND I got 4 dvd's this week instead of 3 which I'm subscribed to. Back of the net!

(in reply to brampski)
Post #: 125
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 14/12/2006 10:22:19 AM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete c

Not impressed with lovefilm, sent a film back early friday morning and it still says awaiting allocation.

That's happening to me too. Sent back a film on Monday, and they still haven't changed it, it's not even sayaing awaiting allocation. It could be lost in the mail, but I doubt it, they've been doing this with the past three I've sent back.

I'd cancel, but I just paid for another month on the 11th.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to pete c)
Post #: 126
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 7/1/2007 12:51:39 PM   
mikeviper

just signed up for the tesco rental 2 week trial.[3 at a time ] how many dvds will i get and return [ if i watch them straight away] in the 2 week period?

(in reply to Deadly_Little_Miho)
Post #: 127
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/1/2007 1:09:33 PM   
optimus

After months of recent bad serivce from Lovefilm I want to change, it's a complete muppet-run organisation now (really wished it hadn't swallowed ScreenSelect wo were great).

I'm on a 6 per month package (an earlier Screenselect deal) and the idiots have had the audacity to take both a replacement for a faulty DVD from a previous month and their "Extra DVD" Christmas offer off my monthly quota! Their customer service has been pretty useless about the whole thing and their turnaround getting worse.

For a similar deal to the one I currently have I've been looking at Amazon's DVD rental. So is anyone using this and if so what is it like? Do they use a multi-priority style list as Lovefilm currently does? Are they associated in any way with the company that owns and runs Lovefilm/Tesco etc.?

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 128
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/1/2007 2:56:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikeviper

just signed up for the tesco rental 2 week trial.[3 at a time ] how many dvds will i get and return [ if i watch them straight away] in the 2 week period?

Fewer than you would have with Screenselect as Lovefilm more often than not are sending out the next day instead of same day.

IN theory, same day send out, next day post (and assuming you can't post them all before 5 the same day you get them) I'd say about 12.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mikeviper)
Post #: 129
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 11/1/2007 6:52:45 PM   
mikeviper

after my 2 week trial with tesco, i was going to try the 1 month trial with wh smith, but i noticed that they are both with lovefilm, will i be allowed to trial both?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 130
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 11/1/2007 7:13:43 PM   
Lebowski

No, but you can still do the Blockbuster and My Movie Stream trials.

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to mikeviper)
Post #: 131
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 12/1/2007 12:03:10 PM   
Evessa

I have been with Lovefilm on a 3 month trial and haven't really had too many problems. I am only on 1 disc at a time and have only once had to report a disc not being received, which they re-sent out to me and I had to complete a Post Office form to report the missing disc. I got an extra disc just after Christmas (as a gift), so, so far, so good eh?
I can see totally how it can fall down though, so I'm not raising my hopes too high for a smooth service in future, oh I'm so pessimistic!

"I know, egg and my face were in alignment" -

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 132
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 14/1/2007 7:58:36 PM   
mikeviper

im with tesco 2 week trial, returned 2 discs at the same time on thursday, on the website they are saying they have recieved one and not the other
hows that?

(in reply to Evessa)
Post #: 133
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 21/1/2007 10:21:57 PM   
Explosion in the Sky

I'm currently with LoveFilm on a 3 month free trial period, which expires in early March. So far the quality of service is generally been very good, with the exception of a couple of faulty disks (a copy of Tarkovsky's Sacrifice had a gigantic crack in the center). I don't really mind that their priority function doesn't do its job, considering I don't care which titles I receive first and none of them are latest releases anyway.

I've heard once your trial membership runs out, then the service drastically declines. Has that happened to most people here?

“All the scheming and plotting in the world won't result in something lasting, transcendent.
Anything that's authentic, that's real, comes in the form of a gift. Even if by accident.”

~ José Saramago ~

New Jarmusch! The Limits of Control

(in reply to mikeviper)
Post #: 134
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 22/1/2007 12:58:25 AM   
Pillowpants

I use LoveFilm - generally pretty reliable but slow on new releases.

(in reply to Explosion in the Sky)
Post #: 135
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/1/2007 10:13:52 AM   
mikeviper

any classics i should check out ?
i havent really seen mant of the older movies [ pre 95 ]

(in reply to Pillowpants)
Post #: 136
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/1/2007 12:21:32 PM   
Evessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Explosion in the Sky
I've heard once your trial membership runs out, then the service drastically declines. Has that happened to most people here?

We had the 3 month free trial which ran out in Dec 06, so far, so good we have encountered no problems with their service. The disc turn-around is good and they are picking stuff from the top of our list too! It's awful that so many people have had a bum deal from them!

"I know, egg and my face were in alignment" -

Post #: 137
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/2/2007 9:04:00 PM   
ScottFree

I've been using Blockbuster.co.uk for about seven months now, and apart from a cracked copy of the The Killer that they sent, I have had no absolutely no problems.

(in reply to Evessa)
Post #: 138
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/2/2007 9:33:15 PM   
Lebowski

Blockbusters are definitely the best in my experience, not great when you have a problem but customer services at online rental companies seem to be universally shite.  I think they've got the biggest range out of the lot, you mostly get new discs sent out the same day as your return arrives and new releases usually come before they stop actually being new releases, unlike their closest competitor Lovefilm.  My Movie Stream aren't even in the competition anymore, their selection is pathetic and they're no better than average on any other level.

One thing that seems to apply to all of them - do them a favour by returning more than one disc in the same envelope and they handicap you for it.  If they get 2 back together it's pretty common for them to send one that day and another the next, but if they get 2 back on the same day individually there seems to be a far better chance of getting both replacements sent out that day.

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to ScottFree)
Post #: 139
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/2/2007 9:35:39 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Explosion in the Sky

Not for me.  I've been with Lovefilm for over a year and never experienced any problems.  (shouldn't have said that, should I?  )

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 10/2/2007 9:36:09 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 140
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 25/2/2007 6:59:28 PM   
KYUSS

are there any rental sites that don't use 'rental copies' ?

i love extras and i hate it when i get a dvd that just has the film on it and nothing else.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 141
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 7/3/2007 2:45:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I recently cancelled my Lovefilm account because I had seen everything I had wanted to - when I went to cancel they offered me two free months!

I reckon it's worth a blag for other users out there

(in reply to KYUSS)
Post #: 142
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 8/3/2007 9:06:06 AM   
Cinema_Junkie

I had a free trial with ScreenSelect and I liked it, even though I didn't have much choice within my wishlist of what I got sent. Wanted to watch Smallville, they sent me Angelic Layer.

Been toying with signing up to OdeonDirect. It any good?

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 143
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 9/3/2007 9:45:06 PM   
Chopper

quote:

ORIGINAL: KYUSS

are there any rental sites that don't use 'rental copies' ?

i love extras and i hate it when i get a dvd that just has the film on it and nothing else.

Sure, I use Lovefilm and they send the extras and original discs, if the extras are on a 2nd disc though that counts as 1 rental as well though.

(in reply to KYUSS)
Post #: 144
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 9/3/2007 9:45:41 PM   
Chopper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I recently cancelled my Lovefilm account because I had seen everything I had wanted to - when I went to cancel they offered me two free months!

I reckon it's worth a blag for other users out there

I did exactly the same thing just the other day

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 145
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 11/3/2007 9:37:11 AM   
chrisrus

signed up to lovefilm. just the 1 dvd at home package for now.
already have nerly 30 dvd's in my rental list. How long do they take to send the first dvd. 

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 146
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 11/3/2007 8:51:33 PM   
Death_Cult

I've become very annoyed with Lovefilm since they merged with Screenselect. With the old Lovefilm they would despatch your next disc the same day they received the returned one but they don't do that anymore. I've been sending back a dvd on monday and not getting another one until friday/saturday. Also I don't get new releases anymore. The most up to date film I've had recently is Superman Returns.

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 147
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 24/3/2007 7:51:57 PM   
the anomaly

I have been using screen select (Now love film) for quite a while. I think I have been using it for almost a year now.I have had one or two damaged discs that I reported and sent back & every now and then turn around has been a bit late.

At the moment I use 3 dvds unlimited rental a month so if the turn around is a little late I usally always have one disc left to watch any way. I used to rent just two disc's but I think its alot better to have 3 for the reason stated before.

For all of those saying they have to wait ages for them to allocate you a new disc after you have returned one. My advice is to add more unique titles to your list (put them as top prority) I have about 20-40 titles in top proirty and 500+ on my whole list. If you have more discs for them to choose from it will be easier for them to find you one to send. The only disadvantage is if you want a specific film etc
On the whole I am pleased with it.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 24/3/2007 8:15:56 PM >

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 148
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/3/2007 12:18:31 PM   
ScottiE

Try this link for tesco jersey site.

http://jersey.tesco.com/default.aspx

there is some top bargains to be had. you pay no vat and free postage. bargain

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 149
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/5/2007 12:24:14 PM   
DaveNewman18

Just joined Lovef Film, trial perido has started, im on the 12.99 2 at a time unlimited package. Read a lot of negative comments about the service on this thread and I am now regretting signing up with them, anybody know if things have generally improved lately or what? I suppose Il stay registered for a while and see how I personally rate the service.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI