Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 19/9/2006 4:01:38 PM   
Dave T

Screenselect have been very shoddy over the past month.  Trading Standards ought to take them to task over their 'Fair Use' policy as it clearly contradicts their claim to unlimited DVD rental.

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 91
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 23/9/2006 9:46:19 AM   
aproberts

I actually had an e-mail from LoveFilm a couple of days ago, admitting that they are having some "teething problems" as a result of the ScreenSelect merger. Of course that's not much consolation to those people being disadvantaged by slow turnaround etc., but it does mean at least that they're unlikely to put up much of a fight if some discs go missing when you post them back to them, and hopefully they will get their act together soon.

(in reply to Dave T)
Post #: 92
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 23/9/2006 1:09:28 PM   
Death_Cult

Lovefilm have sent me a 3 months for the price of 1 offer but as this merger is happening I'm a bit wary of taking it up. Should I go for it ?

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 93
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 24/9/2006 6:22:20 PM   
aproberts

They are promoting this deal to people who have previously had a free trial with them, but as far as I can tell the offer is actually open to everyone - i.e. including those people who have never been registered with them.

If you havenít already had a trial with LoveFilm or ScreenSelect you would be better off going for their 21-day free trial as it wonít cost you anything at all, but if you've received an e-mail from them about this offer I'm assuming  you have already had a free trial with them? If that is the case I think this deal is quite worth taking up, effectively 2 months free.

There are as you say question marks about their reliability at the moment while they try and integrate ScreenSelect, but even if their turnaround is still a bit slow the average cost per rental will still make this a very attractive offer in my opinion.

I'm sure you have noticed yourself, but in case not the offer is only open until 30th September. In fact I shall start a new thread about this, for anyone that doesn't read this one. Let us know how you get on if you do decide to go for this offer.

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 94
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 25/9/2006 6:18:51 PM   
Rich456

I've been using Blockbuster for well over a year now (£15, 3 discs at a time, unlimited). Their turnaround is pretty fast (2-3 working days) and there is a large selection of movies.

Like many rental services they ask you to make up a list of movies, and then they send you DVDs from as high up on your list as possible. The one problem I had was for a few months they rarely sent me anything from the top of my list. I know this is largely due to availability (and so is to be expected sometimes) but I wrote to them anyway saying I was considering switching to a different company. They wrote back with a fairly standard e-mail explaining what I already new - availability depends on movie popularity and is therefore pretty much beyond their control. However since then (either coincidence or they have ticked a checkbox next to my name) the service has been much improved - I now frequently get the movies I have put at the top of my list!

I also got an e-mail after that saying they've improved their website so that it now tells you if a movie is actually available and only adds it to your list once it becomes available. Sounds promising though I've yet to have a look myself.

The gentlemen will be envious and the ladies will be repelled.

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 95
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 26/9/2006 4:09:25 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Bloody ScreenSelect! They are really arse now. The turnaround time has practically doubled!! By the way, has anyone seen the film Awaiting Allocation? Iíve had 3 of them waiting to be sent to me for 3 working days!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 96
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 27/9/2006 8:46:58 PM   
Death_Cult

quote:

ORIGINAL: aproberts
Let us know how you get on if you do decide to go for this offer.

I signed for the summer 3 for 1 deal and did incredibly well out of it. I was only wary this time because of the merger.  
My only advice to prospective Lovefilmers would be to go for the 2 disc deal because if you sign up for the 3 disc deal you'll never have 3 discs at a time and you might feel ripped off.
My first dvds are arriving tomorrow - West Wing (season 7, disc 2) and Imaginary Heroes. 

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 97
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 27/9/2006 11:01:51 PM   
Lebowski

Was it an individual code you got or a multiple use one (letter/number jumble or something more memorable)?  If it's a multi, could you pass it on as I still haven't had the email

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

DVD Profiler - http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Barbapapa

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 98
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 28/9/2006 10:02:57 PM   
Death_Cult

I got an e-mail, actually I got about 7 of the same one. Have you checked your junk/bulkmail ? That's where 2 of my mails were. Also, have you ever subscribed using different e-mail addresses ?

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 99
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 28/9/2006 11:15:26 PM   
Lebowski

One address, nothing in the junk.  I take it the codes are one time only, then?  If they sent you a bunch different ones, would you mind PMing me one?  

Or anyone else got an unwanted one?

My Top 100 watched from 2006 on - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121772&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#1159794

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 100
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 29/9/2006 1:12:45 AM   
Lebowski

Never mind, finally got an email

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 101
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/9/2006 1:13:20 AM   
Death_Cult

I'm glad you finally got an e-mail. I was going to suggest you ring them up and ask about it or I would have forwarded you one of my e-mails.

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 102
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/9/2006 5:21:24 PM   
aproberts

The LoveFilm offer expires today, but I received an e-mail from ScreenSelect this morning with exactly the same 3 months for the price of 1 offer; presumably all former free triallists will also be offered this deal. The offer is open until 3rd October.

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 103
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 30/9/2006 8:46:56 PM   
Lebowski

It was the ScreenSelect one I got, but I have been a member of both.  I figured they would be mutually exclusive for trials now though, right?

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 104
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 1/10/2006 8:19:30 AM   
aproberts

I'm still working through the free trials with other companies at the moment so I haven't actually tried to sign up to either of the offers, but I would say they are almost certainly mutually exclusive. I suspect I only got the ScreenSelect offer because I hadn't signed up to the LoveFilm one, and I don't think you ever got one from LoveFilm did you? They probably excluded those people who signed up to the LoveFilm offer from the ScreenSelect promotion.

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 105
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 5/10/2006 11:14:59 AM   
Mooby

I've been a member of Lovefilm now for a few months, and they've never given me any problems. I post a disc, and receive the next 3-4 days later, every time. And they send all the discs in the order on my list - I've heard some other companies are a bit crap at that...

'My moustache still tastes of your testes!!'

(in reply to aproberts)
Post #: 106
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 5/10/2006 2:01:51 PM   
Lebowski

3 or 4 days turnaround isn't exactly good service, mate. In  fact, 4 days is switch companies time for me.

(in reply to Mooby)
Post #: 107
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 5/10/2006 9:47:45 PM   
felix sore foot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebowski

3 or 4 days turnaround isn't exactly good service, mate. In  fact, 4 days is switch companies time for me.

Yeah, I agree. Lovefilm sent out stuff a lot quicker when I was a new member, then after a couple of months it turned to shit and was getting titles sporadically and rarely the new stuff I wanted.

Screenselect are just as bad & I doubt that the merger is gonna help much.

nothing worth knowing can be understood with the mind

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 108
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 8/10/2006 9:13:03 AM   
pete c

I've been with Screenselect for about a year now and other than a small problem (a disk took about a week to get there and i thought it had been lost) it's been fine.

(in reply to felix sore foot)
Post #: 109
RE: Best On line Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 11:25:00 AM   
Lebowski

If any of you had  Lonesome Dove  from Blockbusters recently, I have your Gilles Petersen  CD instead of disc  2

(in reply to pete c)
Post #: 110
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 11:38:33 AM   
Jaybee79

quote:

3 or 4 days turnaround isn't exactly good service, mate. In fact, 4 days is switch companies time for me.

I don't see how it could be quicker unless you used courier. Post monday. 1st class post get's it there Tuesday. They send out the disk that day. 1st class post gets it Wednesday. 3 day, which is usually the level of service I seem to get from screenselect. There is occasionally a slight lull but not often I've found.

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 111
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 11:47:32 AM   
Beckymonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

quote:

3 or 4 days turnaround isn't exactly good service, mate. In fact, 4 days is switch companies time for me.

I don't see how it could be quicker unless you used courier. Post monday. 1st class post get's it there Tuesday. They send out the disk that day. 1st class post gets it Wednesday. 3 day, which is usually the level of service I seem to get from screenselect. There is occasionally a slight lull but not often I've found.

Ditto - but the whole 'Lovefilm' merger fills me with dread.  I was with LF and they were utter pants!

I'm just glad that they still do the 1,2,3 priorities - though I think my chances of getting anything from list 1 is going to be vanishingly small....  .  Still, I live in hope!!

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 112
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 11:54:15 AM   
Jaybee79

Oh I do agree. There are other things that concern me about the merger. There new policy of bunging all the discs into one envelope for one. Also the constant downtime with their website during the merger this week but I will accept that that will hopefully pass after teething problems

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 113
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 12:45:44 PM   
pete c

I'm with screenselect/love film and i've been waiting for a film since bloody Saturday

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 114
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 10/10/2006 2:04:11 PM   
Lebowski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

quote:

If  that's what he meant then yes, but 'I post a disc, and receive the next 3-4 days later' reads more like return  Monday,  get the next one Thursday or Friday.

(in reply to Jaybee79)
Post #: 115
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 11/10/2006 4:47:44 PM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

Anyone got an e-mail address to contact LoveFilm via? I sent back a disc on Thursday, and still have 'awaiting allocation' showing, I can't contact through the site though as they're saying that the disc only arrived today. It bloody well didn;t though, as I sent one back yesterday too, and that showed up now. I reckon they're delaying it to post them in one envelope.

< Message edited by Deadly_Little_Miho -- 11/10/2006 4:52:58 PM >

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 116
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 12/10/2006 8:55:14 PM   
Lebowski

No address, but they sent me 3 today all in seperate envelopes.

(in reply to Deadly_Little_Miho)
Post #: 117
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 12/10/2006 10:05:31 PM   
DJ Satan

Screen select have been abysmal, pretty much to the day they announced the merger. Since then my turnaround has dropped by at least a day and it's been five selections simce amy pf my top 30 first choice pics have been sent.

To top it off a disc never arrived last week and they are threatening to charge me £20 for it.

I've sent three letters asking how exactly they are going to charge extra for games and so far all of there replies have avoided the question.

To be fair, now the rebranding has finished I have received three discs this week.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Lebowski)
Post #: 118
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 15/10/2006 5:11:09 PM   
Death_Cult

The merger seems to have gone well and the turnaround is good at the mo. I'm not keen on the new site but what are you gonna do ?
They seem to have made the return envelopes smaller though. They want you to return multiple dvds in one 'vlope but I've struggled to get one in so far.  

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 119
RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) - 23/10/2006 1:49:42 PM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

well after e-mailing them my turnaround seems alot better. But for some reason my rental queue is listing that I have four DVDs at home. Well two at home, two on the way. Anyone else have this? They better not charge me extra.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to Death_Cult)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Best Online Rental Shops (Please advise) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI