Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes... Preacher!?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes... Preacher!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes... Pre... - 22/5/2006 12:22:25 AM   
furrybastard

OK, this just surfaced on the barely reliable Aint It Cool News (Link);

quote:

I don't know good this information is, but I was at a comic convention in Dublin recently where Glenn Fabry was signing. I asked about the Preacher movie and he said that it wouldn't go ahead, that nobody wanted to do it. He then told me that days previous he had gotten a call from somebody from HBO looking for Garth Ennis' phone number. A few hours later he got a call from Garth saying that the producers from The Sopranos want to turn Preacher into a HBO TV series. There was no word on Garth's response to this.

Sounds a bit like bullshit. I can't find any information regarding a convention attended by Fabry on the net.

Regardless, it does seem rather cool. HBO are getting pretty desperate for a big hit after The Sopranos ends (that shows extra long final season is a means of HBO retaining their ratings while searching). Carnivale became too expensive and was cancelled and Deadwood or any new shows have not been pulling in as many viewers as they had hoped. Adn what with the recent controversy (and success, seemingly!) of The DaVinci Code movie, would HBO actually be ballsy enough to take this risk!?
Post #: 1
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 6:47:08 AM   
Squall Katsuragi

Its AICN, until something official is announced I'd treat it as shit.

Would be cool though!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 2
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 8:34:29 AM   
elab49

This turned up a couple of times on the Book Forum - what would you most like to see adapted. They'll be pleased if true!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Squall Katsuragi)
Post #: 3
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 9:08:47 AM   
Angelus

Few things would make me happier than to see an adaptation of Preacher. The characters, the endlessly-quotable dialogue and the bone-cruching action would all be great if they do a faithful job of it. Can't see it happening though: the controversy over The DaVinci Code would be nothing compared to this.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 2:56:47 PM   
oddzag

what is preacher? i've never heard of it but if it's got more controversy than the Da Vinci Code i need to know.

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 5
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 3:12:08 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: oddzag

what is preacher? i've never heard of it but if it's got more controversy than the Da Vinci Code i need to know.

Click here.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 6
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 4:43:39 PM   
Jim

Preacher would make a brilliant mini-series as long as it was done well (and if anyone were to do it well, it'd be HBO). Though, yeah, with only AICN as a source I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. Hasn't there been constant rumours over the years of various producers picking this up and wanting to make a movie/mini-series?

I seem to remember some pictures of Arseface after someone started making a film but then dropped it.

< Message edited by Jim -- 22/5/2006 4:48:31 PM >

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

Post #: 7
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 6:15:48 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim
I seem to remember some pictures of Arseface after someone started making a film but then dropped it.

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 8
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 8:32:04 PM   
Jim

That's it 

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

Post #: 9
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 9:24:58 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this, tempting and enticing as it may be.

Yes, it's HBO so they have a reputation for being edgy, and it's cable, so less susceptible to outside pressure. But remember that The Book Of Daniel caused a furore and was pulled after 4 episodes on NBC, and all the main character did in that was talk to Jesus. Y'know, instead of trying to track down God and have a go at Him for being an absentee landlord.. .

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 10
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 22/5/2006 9:44:33 PM   
furrybastard

True. Also the whole idea of a renegade preacher hanging out with his girlfriend and vampire best friend isn't going to make the show any friends

It's difficult to compare it to something like The Book of Daniel. The gap between network and cable is huge, with something like NBC being far more likely to be held "ransom" by its advertisers, corporate executives etc.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 11
RE: From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes...... - 24/5/2006 1:40:33 AM   
lulu karma

I dunno.  They have the series Big Love wrapping up season one in the US now about a polygamist family in Utah.  It's raised a few eyebrows for sure.  So they could very well make Preacher.  I've heard nothing about it though.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> From HBO and the producers of The Sopranos comes... Preacher!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI