Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. - 7/8/2007 3:23:13 PM   
darth silas

A highly entertaining end to the trilogy.Great fx,action,and music.Kelsey grammar is perfect casting as the beast and provides the film with some very witty moments.

Not quite as satisfying as X2 but its streets ahead of the exposition packed X1.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Marty5)
Post #: 361
RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. - 7/8/2007 5:59:19 PM   
max314

The first two films seemed to lack the focus of The Last Stand, which is surprising on account of the film being directed by Bret Ratner.

It's definitely the most watchable of the series.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 362
RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. - 7/8/2007 6:04:53 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marty5

Like mostly everyone else I loved the first two xmen films but I cant believe the series is gonna end with this terrible movie. The day bryan singer left the Xmen set he did two things, first he doomed xmen to brett ratner, second he went to boresville with superman. Spoilers ahead!
The way brett ratner treats this movie isnt right, main characters like cyclops killed so early in the film. Infact to be fair it should not have been wolverine who took down the pheonix it should have been cyclops.
To be honest this was again the wolverine show. I like the character but the xmen has such a vast range of characters in its universe that to constantly revolve around 1 is just maddness. Then this applies to magneto aswell as again there is so many bad guys in the xmen world that why couldnt we have someone different, i know ian mckellan is a great actor but i would rather have seen someone else.
The action and cgi were spot here but it wasnt he enough to save it for me and how lame was it that most mutants power was super jump. Thats just lazy writing.

To focus on one character in a film is not "madess".

It's the smart choice.

Neither X-Men nor X2 knew where they were going.  With so many characters splattered about the place, and no truly defined character arcs, the dialogue and the story just seems to meander aimlessly into unsatisfying territory.

With The Last Stand, we do have a less-than-perfect film (the endless wave of 'super jump' mutants was one of the things that annoyed me, too), but the choice to streamline the character work and give the audience a throughline on which to pin their emotions (namely, the most popular character in the series - Wolverine) with a few focussed sub-plots (e.g. the Iceman / Pyro enmity and Rogue's decision regarding the cure) really helped give the series a much-needed set of legs.

< Message edited by max314 -- 7/8/2007 6:07:16 PM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Marty5)
Post #: 363
RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. - 8/8/2007 1:20:15 AM   
darth silas

Good to see some people here giving X3 some much deserved praise for a change.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 364
RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. - 8/8/2007 10:58:36 PM   
UTB

I'm not a comic book fan. I don't claim to be an expert on whether the movies match the comics or not.

what i can say is that having seen all three X-Men movies, The Last Stand was the most entertaining of the three. The first movie was good, but as with most movies that kick start a franchise it suffered from having to introduce everybody. I found the second film to be quite dull, and seemed to be made up of mostly Jean Grey holding her hand out pretending to stop things.

The third movie was non stop entertainment, and was only let down by the casting of Mr Jones.

I can understand why everyone loves Bryan Singer, but i think most people wrote this film off purely because it was Brett Ratner behind the camera.

my opinion.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 365
Not as good as 2 - 5/2/2008 6:37:39 PM   
lynnshep

Good but a let down from the second. Too many characters and the plot has serious holes. But, still enjoyable

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 366
Not as good as 2 - 5/2/2008 6:38:02 PM   
lynnshep

Good but a let down from the second. Too many characters and the plot has serious holes. But, still enjoyable

Post #: 367
please be the last stand - 13/2/2008 9:09:12 PM   
werdanny

action packed, emotional, dramatic with great special effects. what more could you want? this blockbuster really sticks it to Brett Ratners predicecor. with Brian Singer running off to superman music video director(Ratner) took charge , literally. angels flying, juggernauts smashing and wolverine snicting we still don't understand why it didnt quite fit.it had everything a super hero movie needs.
but it is still conclusive that it made more than superman returns so were still laughing at his offer he wished he refused.

Post #: 368
- 23/2/2008 2:09:13 PM   
dgribble

I thought this was quite good, not a bad ending and I've seen worser endings to a trilogy, I still think it wasn't as good as the previous two, mostly because of the absence of David Hayter as the screenwriter, but I thought Brett Ratner did an Ok job woth the direction, although even though its not the last stand, I still think they should leave it here.

Post #: 369
The Worst of the 3 - 29/5/2008 10:07:39 PM   
evs

Honestly,

Ratner and a plot that tried to introduce too many characters stained thsi franchise. X-Men 2 was arguably the best comic book movie made (for my money a close tie with Spiderman2 and slightly edging Batman Begins)
XMen 3 promised so much, but like most of Ratner's directorial work: didn't deliver.
P.S: Logan was lame in this movie!!! Hopefully he goes back to his surly self in "Wolverine"

Post #: 370
Spoilerific review! - 21/11/2008 3:34:37 PM   
SkullKassidy

I'm very conflicted about this film. It definately has it's high points. Great action sequences and true to the tone of the last two. And the plot is fairly solid.

But SO many of the great characters are culled off and too many are once again underused? Why no return of Nightcrawler? Why get rid of Mystique and Cyclops? Why are Collossus and original X-men Angel hardly on screen? And why is the best new baddies they could manage Vinnie Jones ruining Juggeranaut and a bloke that make spikes come out his face and can only kill people by giving them a hug?

And this is why I'm conflicted! It's a great watch but there is just so many things I pick on in this movie. Plus they still haven't actually made an "X-men" movie, this being just another "Wolverine" movie!

Post #: 371
So disappointing it hurts! - 22/11/2008 8:54:58 PM   
HeavenChild

This 3rd movie can be compared with Matrix Revolutions in that it suffers from the introduction of more minor characters/military people and a giant war, rather than developing the ones already (excellently) established. Being a fan of James Marsden, I was outraged to see Cyclops killed off!

Post #: 372
Not so bad - 20/4/2009 11:40:29 AM   
natman_begins

I got the x-men trilogy on blu-ray over the weekend and i got round to watching the final movie this morning. In all its the fourth time ive seen Last stand, and to be honest its improved with every watching. The only part they really still bugs me is Vinnie Jones uttering the line "im the juggernaut bitch", aside from that i actually think its better than the first film which seems dull by comparison. I dont think another non-origins x-men film would be a bad idea either.

Post #: 373
hmm.. ok...could've been better tho - 2/6/2009 9:32:23 AM   
sagent33

Well going into this film, as bit of a x-men fan, I was excited, nervous and curious! I was curious to see what another director’s vision of the X-men would be like (which is also what made me nervous). And another director’s view of the x-men is definitely what I witnessed!!

What can be said about x-men: the last stand is that it certainly is entertaining! The action alone was worth the price of admission. Also the director’s, Brett Ratner, was able to capture the mutants in their full glory, having them exhibit their abilities in full effect, which was a joy to watch. All this combined with some decent performances from some of the leads (Hugh Jackman in particular, relishing his return as wolverine!), made this film, as I stated, entertaining and fairly enjoyable to watch…

However, there were many things in the movie that just made the film lack that spark or that extra star quality

First of all the sheer amount of mutants and characters in this film made the film feel crowded, as Ratner seemed to give each individual mutant its own 5 minutes of fame. As colourful as they were and visually stunning it seemed to take the emphasis off of the main players. Also with the running time being around the 1hr35min mark, there was no time to pan any of these characters or the main characters out.

One character that it was interesting to see, however, was Jean Grey/Phoenix. The scenes with this character were great and very engaging. However, I felt that the character was under-used and was eventually moved to the background. This is where I feel that a great story was wasted. It would have been interesting to see more focus on Jean Grey and her turmoil of duel identities. There were touches of this in the film, again running time did not allow for this to be panned out.

The movie did boast quite a few “shock” (and they did shock) moments. However there were just too many off them, and with the ending leaving an inevitabl

Post #: 374
By the numbers directing ruined the franchise. - 12/10/2009 12:06:02 PM   
Workshed

Aside from killing off main characters in the franchise, the main fault with the film for me was the pace in that it moves along so fast you don't care. Emotional sequences and setpieces are indiscriminently cut short to cut to the next making watching the film a hollow and unsatisfying experience.

Post #: 375
WHY DO PEOPLE HATE THIS MOVIE!!!!!! - 7/1/2010 9:46:52 PM   
optimus43

now i am a very big x men fan who enjoyed all 3 movies and the comics. yes you heard me right I LIKE THE COMICS AND THE MOVIES! i don't understand why so many marvel fans must pick out all of the flaws in a film made for general audiences not for the fans!!!

now x men 3 was by far the better of the three x men movies. it features a lot of drama as the heroes had to face not just the prospect of a normal life but having to give up that chance to save the whole world really drew me in. the acting was superb with an excellent story behind it and the dark phoniex story was perfectly done. it even made me cry at the end when jean makes the ultimate sacrifice to save the world. the fact that x men 3 is by far my favourite film of all time does a lot to save this brilliant film from the critics claw. oh, and did i mention the fab score!!

Post #: 376
WHY DO PEOPLE HATE THIS MOVIE!!!!!! - 7/1/2010 9:47:00 PM   
optimus43

now i am a very big x men fan who enjoyed all 3 movies and the comics. yes you heard me right I LIKE THE COMICS AND THE MOVIES! i don't understand why so many marvel fans must pick out all of the flaws in a film made for general audiences not for the fans!!!

now x men 3 was by far the better of the three x men movies. it features a lot of drama as the heroes had to face not just the prospect of a normal life but having to give up that chance to save the whole world really drew me in. the acting was superb with an excellent story behind it and the dark phoniex story was perfectly done. it even made me cry at the end when jean makes the ultimate sacrifice to save the world. the fact that x men 3 is by far my favourite film of all time does a lot to save this brilliant film from the critics claw. oh, and did i mention the fab score!!

Post #: 377
Mediocre But The Most Enjoyable Of The Series - 19/3/2011 3:13:50 PM   
blaud

Whilst this movie does feel slightly confused and has way too many new characters for fans to feel comfortable with it, X-Men: The Last Stand is undoubtedly the most exciting and funnest X-Men movie of the whole series, crafting a true-comic feel to the whole experience, and adding extra humanity (so to speak) for good measure. From a filmic standpoint, it's average, but as a whole, this is great saturday night entertainment.

Post #: 378
The most under-rated movie ever? - 19/6/2011 3:31:35 PM   
BatSpider

I think the ppl who hate this movie are a) geeks who can't handle a couple of major characters getting killed, and b) sheep following the tide of geek opinion. What a bunch of pussies. For me the movie has a proper edge and it's the best X-Men of all.

Post #: 379
X-Men 3: The Last Stand - 19/6/2011 6:03:37 PM   
Tech_Noir

Got this on Blu Ray as a random purchase. I still don't get the hate, it's one of the rare franchise movies where you can't predict the ending, lead characters die before the half-way mark, the effects are effective, the score works, the action is well done. Why the hate?

BTW, the Blu Ray has a pretty cool documentary on the evolution of the X-Men comics. I think I'm becoming an X-Men obsessive, spent the last few months watching every episode of the animated series (season 1 to 4 - recommended).

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 380
RE: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - 19/6/2011 6:17:23 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Got this on Blu Ray as a random purchase. I still don't get the hate, it's one of the rare franchise movies where you can't predict the ending, lead characters die before the half-way mark, the effects are effective, the score works, the action is well done. Why the hate?

I agree with those, but it doesn't change that after X2 it's a tremendous letdown. The Cyclops 'story' is handled awfully, Jean is reduced to nothing more than a glowering presence with no discernable motivation, most of the other characters are given hardly anything to do and there's gaping plotholes all over the shop. The fact that half the characters get killed off isn't necessarily a positive in a franchise.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 381
RE: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - 19/6/2011 6:20:16 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
The fact that half the characters get killed off isn't necessarily a positive in a franchise.

Agreed, but the fact that happened kept me interested for the duration of the film, other films (ahem First Class) are dull because you know which character are in genuine jeopardy and which will NEVER die.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 382
RE: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - 19/6/2011 7:07:14 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
The fact that half the characters get killed off isn't necessarily a positive in a franchise.

Agreed, but the fact that happened kept me interested for the duration of the film, other films (ahem First Class) are dull because you know which character are in genuine jeopardy and which will NEVER die.

100% agree with you on this.And at least X3 maintains continuity with the previous films(besides recasting a few minor roles).Matt Vaughn obviously couldnt give a toss about continuity and couldnt be arsed to tell Michael Fassbender that Magneto doesnt speak with an Irish accent.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 383
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 19/6/2011 7:15:23 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

I think the ppl who hate this movie are a) geeks who can't handle a couple of major characters getting killed, and b) sheep following the tide of geek opinion. What a bunch of pussies. For me the movie has a proper edge and it's the best X-Men of all.

Written with all the wit and intelligence you'd expect from a Brett Ratner fanboy. Come back when your I.Q. reaches above absolute zero.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 384
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 19/6/2011 10:53:05 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Written with all the wit and intelligence you'd expect from a Brett Ratner fanboy. Come back when your I.Q. reaches above absolute zero.

Brett Ratner has fanboys? If u want we can discuss X3 at Hyde Park sometime, u can bring ur weapons of choice I'll bring my nunchukas.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 385
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 19/6/2011 11:27:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Brett Ratner has fanboys? If u want we can discuss X3 at Hyde Park sometime, u can bring ur weapons of choice I'll bring my nunchukas.

Why would I want to go all the way to hyde park to meet an idiot with nunchucks?

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 19/6/2011 11:28:17 PM >

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 386
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 20/6/2011 1:08:26 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why would I want to go all the way to hyde park to meet an idiot with nunchucks?

So u can get clouted upside the head, lad! When u wake up th next week u will see X3 as freakin class.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 387
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 20/6/2011 1:30:30 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So u can get clouted upside the head, lad! When u wake up th next week u will see X3 as freakin class.

So now you're threatening me with violence? A very mature way to deal with someone you disagree with. I assume your still in high school by your juvenile attitude kiddo, so let me make this clear, any more threats and I'll be reporting you, got that?

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 388
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 20/6/2011 7:22:55 AM   
sanchia

Maybe the people who hate the movie 1) Just don't like it. b) Have a different opinion to you?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 389
RE: The most under-rated movie ever? - 20/6/2011 12:55:37 PM   
superdan

Chainsaw beats nunchukas Spaldron. That tip was for free, stick with me kid and I'll make you a star.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: My God. Stop the po-faced moaning. Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI