Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Robin Hood - New BBC Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Robin Hood - New BBC Series Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 5:35:51 PM   
Timon

Robin Hood Revealed

Filming started on Monday 3rd April in Budapest on the highly anticipated new series of Robin Hood for BBC ONE. Fun, modern and intelligent, Robin Hood 2006 sets out to entertain a whole new generation and stars newcomer Jonas Armstrong in the lead role.

Peter Fincham, Controller, BBC ONE says : "Jonas looks the business as our new Saturday night hero, Robin Hood. This exciting drama will be a unique blend of exhilarating action adventure, wit and romance - something for all the family on BBC One."

Robin Hood's striking new look, coupled with Dominic Minghella's sharp scripts; updates the popular legend for a sophisticated contemporary audience. Currently in training at the Hood Academy in Budapest, Jonas Armstrong says:

"I think we've come up with something cool that's both modern and medieval, with a bit of street, I've even got a hoodie! He's a total legend, I'm privileged to play a character that is known and loved by millions."

Full of action, humour and romance, Robin Hood outwits and delights us as he fights the authority of the evil Sheriff of Nottingham with outrageous scams, disguises, tricks and ingenuity, breathtaking archery and incredible swordplay.

The series will also star Keith Allen (Bodies) as the Sheriff of Nottingham; Lucy Griffiths as the strikingly beautiful Marian and Richard Armitage (North & South) as Guy of Gisborne, the Sheriff's sadistic lieutenant.

Robin's gang will star Gordon Kennedy as Little John; Sam Troughton as Robin's loyal manservant Much; Harry Lloyd as Will Scarlett; Joe Armstrong as Allan-a-Dale; and William Beck as Roy.

Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning says: "We were looking to create an exciting opportunity for fresh, young talent and our Robin Hood delivers on all counts. The casting signals our intention to make Robin Hood for a new generation."

John Yorke, BBC Controller Continuing Drama and Head of Independent Drama says : "Keith Allen has quietly created a reputation as one of Britain's leading television actors, and - in the iconic role of Sheriff - I'm looking forward to seeing him bring his own particular brand of menace and malevolence to family television and BBC One."

Filming in Budapest for transmission on BBC ONE in Autumn 2006, Robin Hood is written by Dominic Minghella. Foz Allan and Dominic Minghella will executive produce for Tiger Aspect and the producer is Richard Burrell. The executive producer for the BBC will be John Yorke, BBC Controller Continuing Drama and Head of Independent Drama.

Thoughts? Looks like a decent show to fill the Dr Who seasonal gap.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 5:47:57 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Ai, my message got through.

I love the romanticism of the Robin Hood legend and a 13 part series makes it sound like a comprehensive overview of every component, eg the Lionheart ransom.

Hope it's good, though it could get too bogged down in Earthy realism ala King Arthur. Given it's a family show though, here's hoping it's as charming as the Curtiz film.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 5:57:49 PM   
Castor Troy

Looks like it could be pretty good. That guy certainly looks cool. I never watch BBC dramas, but this one I shall.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 3
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:09:54 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

Ai, my message got through.

I love the romanticism of the Robin Hood legend and a 13 part series makes it sound like a comprehensive overview of every component, eg the Lionheart ransom.

Hope it's good, though it could get too bogged down in Earthy realism ala King Arthur. Given it's a family show though, here's hoping it's as charming as the Curtiz film.

It certainly did. Started scoping out the cast on imdb.com

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 4
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:20:54 PM   
Peppermint

I looked this up on imdb ages ago and there was nothing, so it's good to finally get some info on it.

Never heard of him having a person called Roy in the gang before though and there doesn't seem to be a Friar Tuck either

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:23:30 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Gosh, don't recognise any cast members. Good they're merely picking actors who can play the legends of Sherwood.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 6
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:25:23 PM   
Timon

quote:

Gosh, don't recognise any cast members. Good they're merely picking actors who can play the legends of Sherwood.

I do like it when the BBC adapts legends like these. Their Scarlett Pimpernel series with Richard E Grant was rather good i seem to remember.

Post #: 7
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:29:46 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Yeah, I liked the recent Casanova and of course I am a huge Whovian.

I also like that because it is a single story, we'll have a great cliffhanger every week.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:31:16 PM   
Peppermint

I wonder if they'll have any of that mystical stuff like they did in the last series on ITV did?

"What, again?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:33:13 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

What, Sheriff being a satanist?

No thanks, it only worked in the 1991 film thanks to Alan Rickman.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 10
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:42:05 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

What, Sheriff being a satanist?

No thanks, it only worked in the 1991 film thanks to Alan Rickman.

Eh? I was talking about all that Herne the Hunter stuff they had in the 80's series.

"What, again?"

Post #: 11
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:49:58 PM   
TobiasFunke

Sounds quite interesting but do we really need another version of Robin Hood? Its been done to death. Besides, nothing can top Maid Marian!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 12
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 6:55:25 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: TobiasFunke

Sounds quite interesting but do we really need another version of Robin Hood? Its been done to death. Besides, nothing can top Maid Marian!

Legends will never die.

Besides, I'd love to see a modern version with more whiplash action, and besides, a bloke going against the establishment: what more need of an update?

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 13
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 17/5/2006 7:39:40 PM   
Samuelpoet

Really looking forward to the Robin Hood series, I hope it will beat the classic cheese of the 80's series with Michael Praed and Jason Connery.

Post #: 14
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 9:40:24 AM   
Cat5

They're not having a Friar Tuck character in this version, peppermint.

No big names really, but Richard Armitage, who was in the BBC's Impressionists series as Monet and in North and South (that had him branded the new Darcy) will be Guy of Guisbourne. Think that will be the selling point for the ladies...

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 15
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 10:05:28 AM   
Dragonfall 5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samuelpoet

Really looking forward to the Robin Hood series, I hope it will beat the classic cheese of the 80's series with Michael Praed and Jason Connery.

I suspect it's not going to have the same charm.  Keith Allen is an inspired choice as the Sherriff though.

++++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++++

Please reinstall the universe and reboot

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 16
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 10:10:40 AM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cat5

No big names really....

Keith Allen is going to be the Sheriff of Nottingham! Ok, so maybe not so much with the big nameness, but still great casting!

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 17
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:00:28 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cat5

They're not having a Friar Tuck character in this version, peppermint.

No big names really, but Richard Armitage, who was in the BBC's Impressionists series as Monet and in North and South (that had him branded the new Darcy) will be Guy of Guisbourne. Think that will be the selling point for the ladies...

Well, why not, dammit? that makes no sense to me at all.

"What, again?"

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 18
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:13:17 PM   
blanche

I'm really looking forward to this, and the casting looks good - Richard Armitage is shaping up as the beeb's new poster boy! Is Dominic Minghella related to Anthony?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 19
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:17:53 PM   
Hood_Man

I just know the Robin Hood song will follow me around for the next few months...

Meh, this looks alright I suppose, I'll watch it to see if they get my "heritage" right

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 20
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:20:06 PM   
Dragonfall 5

ITV did mess about with the traditional line up in the 80's, such as the addition of Herne the Hunter (actually a ghost rumoured to haunt Windsor Forest), and the swordsman Nazir.  Tuck was not one of the characters featured in the original ballads but appears to be an addition that happened around the 15th century.  You could give credit to the writers for going back to the original source, or maybe they are just being lazy.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 21
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:23:09 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragonfall 5

ITV did mess about with the traditional line up in the 80's, such as the addition of Herne the Hunter (actually a ghost rumoured to haunt Windsor Forest), and the swordsman Nazir.  Tuck was not one of the characters featured in the original ballads but appears to be an addition that happened around the 15th century.  You could give credit to the writers for going back to the original source, or maybe they are just being lazy.

Ah, ok then

Where does the character of Roy fit in though? I've never heard of that one before.

Also, wasn't Marian added to the group sometime in the 15th century as well?

"What, again?"

(in reply to Dragonfall 5)
Post #: 22
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 12:34:37 PM   
Dragonfall 5

Hard to say.  I think she originated in the french play, the Jeune de Robin et Marion.  This dates to around the end of the 13th century.  Alan-a-Dale is also a later addition.

The 'classic tale' of Robin Hood, that of a freedomn fighter battling the oppressive Norman lords, ironically only dates back to about the 19th century.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 23
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 19/5/2006 4:41:49 PM   
Monkeyshaver

The Robin Hood myth has always been reinterpreted over the ages. The one most people are familiar with was made popular in 16th century by balladeers & is a bit different to the medieval version. So itís acceptable for a new telly show to make a few adjustments but jettisoning Friar Tuck (who was, in fairness, a late edition to the myth) is a bad move, almost as bad as casting Keith twating Allen as the Sheriff Of Rottingham!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Dragonfall 5)
Post #: 24
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 22/5/2006 10:00:17 AM   
oddzag

I'm loving the logo for it, v. v. cool

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 10/7/2006 11:33:15 AM   
Timon

Saw the teaser logo before Dr Who. Getting excited.

< Message edited by Timon -- 10/7/2006 11:38:41 AM >

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 26
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 10/7/2006 1:03:13 PM   
elab49

Pity that the lead looks like one of these fey young boys from a boyband rather than a grown up. Kind of says which market it is going for which is disappointing. Still, he was OK in Ghost Squad. But Cassidy acted more or less everyone off the screen.

Much of the cast is easily recognisable - Keith Allen, of course - he'll be doing a Rickman. Armitage will be a draw for the chick-lit obsessed. Sam Troughton has a lot to live up to - not just his grandad, but his father is one of our best TV actors. Gordon Kennedy has done tons of TV as well - but he'll always say 'Absolutely' to me.

So it may be down to the writers. Sight too many soap/Casualty type cast-offs for me. Hopefully the class from Inspector Morse/Hamish MacBeth will be the telling contribution.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 10/7/2006 2:53:34 PM   
zombiemaster

Might give it a look when it comes on but will probaly suck

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 14/7/2006 10:07:36 AM   
Timon

Oh you cynic you.

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 29
RE: Robin Hood - New BBC Series - 14/7/2006 10:19:34 AM   
Sugar Kowalczyk

Ohh it looks interesting and halleljuh it something which has no soap stars in - so count me in I shall be watching 

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Robin Hood - New BBC Series Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI