Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 9/9/2012 11:04:05 AM   
sanchia

I ended up with quite a few when trying to get a decent picture for the OPTC.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 811
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 12/9/2012 7:26:53 PM   
sanchia

Having had a look a Flickr I did not realise how much info regarding the shot data there was when you posted a picture.

amera Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 75 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Software Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 Windows
Date and Time (Modified) 2012:09:03 12:48:46
Artist Steve
Exposure Program Program AE
Date and Time (Original) 2009:04:18 11:41:27.96+01:00
Date and Time (Digitized) 2009:04:18 11:41:27
Max Aperture Value 4.2
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Sub Sec Time 96
Sub Sec Time Original 96
Sub Sec Time Digitized 96
Color Space sRGB
Focal Plane X-Resolution 4438.35616438356 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution 4445.96912521441 dpi
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
Scene Capture Type Standard
Compression JPEG (old-style)
By-line Steve
Global Angle 30
Global Altitude 30
Copyright Flag False
Photoshop Quality 5
Photoshop Format Optimised
Progressive Scans 3 Scans
XMPToolkit Adobe XMP Core 4.1.3-c001 49.282696, Mon Apr 02 2007 21:16:10
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Rating 0
Metadata Date 2012:09:03 12:48:46+01:00
Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 Windows
Format image/jpeg
Creator Steve
Lens EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM
Image Number 0
Flash Compensation 0
Owner Name Steve
Sidecar For Extension CR2
Color Mode RGB
ICCProfile Name sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type D50
Measurement Observer CIE 1931
Measurement Flare 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant D65
Color Transform YCbCr
Flash Return No return detection
Flash Mode Off
Flash Function False
Flash Red Eye Mode False

< Message edited by sanchia -- 12/9/2012 7:28:18 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 812
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 17/9/2012 6:55:58 PM   
sanchia

And HDR attempt. Once again not fully successful.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 813
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 21/9/2012 6:30:52 PM   
sanchia

< Message edited by sanchia -- 21/9/2012 6:31:58 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 814
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 24/9/2012 10:54:35 AM   
sanchia

I have managed to purchase a couple of extension tubes second hand. I am interested to see what can be achieved with them and just hope my lens is sufficient for the job.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 815
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/9/2012 11:56:46 AM   
donethinking

Glen Etive, not bad for a 5MP camera phone

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 816
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/9/2012 4:38:47 PM   
Glider Boy

Not the most beautiful picture I've taken but the trickiest to set up! My mate in the back of the glider trying to get a decent shot of us upside down as we flew a loop, I'm flying in the front pulling about 4G, he is trying to take the shot as his arms are getting forced down....looks kinda cool though!

...it's like trying to teach bears about heaven.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 817
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/9/2012 7:16:08 PM   
sanchia

Better you than me.

Donethinking. I am quite impressed with the 5mp camera on my phone. Then again my first digital camera was 6mp and I managed to do quite a lot with that one.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Glider Boy)
Post #: 818
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/9/2012 9:37:18 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have managed to purchase a couple of extension tubes second hand. I am interested to see what can be achieved with them and just hope my lens is sufficient for the job.

which Extension tubes did you get? you might run into an issue with aperture control if they've not got the electric contacts - I think if you've got a Dof Preview button you can press that, take the lens off and put it on the tubes as a workaround.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 819
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/9/2012 9:40:16 PM   
donethinking

I guess its not how big your megapixels are but what you do with them

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 820
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 27/9/2012 10:20:23 PM   
donethinking

Glasgow Green a couple of winters ago, taken with an actual real camera..

Post #: 821
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 6/10/2012 12:08:32 AM   
LoisLane

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Feel free to tell me to go away if not! I want to progress from my little compact to a digital SLR. I've no practical experience other than holiday snaps, but I often travel and find I just can't take decent pictures of anything! I've actually booked myself on a photography course later this year. I wondered if anyone could suggest a good entry level digital SLR for someone with no experience which is uncomplicated enough that I will hopefully be able to use it out of the box (after reading the instructions!) ... but which is sophisticated enough and will stand me in good stead for this photography course which will hopefully take me to the next level or so! I've got a budget of up to 400. I've seen a couple of cameras on Which like the Nikon D5100 which is about 18 months old but rated well or the Sony Alpha a55 but can be bought relatively cheaply now ... but I don't know if camera technology is like PC technology, is a camera 18 months old now obsolete?! So should I look at something more recent like the Nikon D3200 (I think that's the one I mean).

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 822
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 6/10/2012 8:16:16 AM   
sanchia

They don't become obsolete although there is always something down the line which you wish you could buy.

you may want to have a glance here

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2088450&mpage=8&key=camera

It hasn't been commented on a lot recently but may give you some ideas. I have had my Canon 1000D for about four or five years and am only just working out what to do with it and it still has a lot to offer me.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 6/10/2012 10:33:01 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to LoisLane)
Post #: 823
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 8/10/2012 9:32:47 AM   
hozay

I've got the Canon 1000d also and it has served me really well although after 2-3 years I'm looking to upgrade (mainly due to picture quality, greater MP's and video - which the 1000 lacks).
It's advantages are that it can be quite an uncomplicated camera if that's what you need ( versatile in it's Auto settings) but also sophisticated enough to satisfy and help the photographer in training on their merry way. I started off using the Auto settings but quickly moved to the more useful manual settings simply by reading the manual and a little trial and error. As mentioned above the fact that DSLR's record all your settings for each shot is hugely helpful. I think the 1000 would suit someone starting a photography course.
I've heard good things about that Nikon but was advised by a few people I trust to avoid Sony. The best thing though is to google reviews for any camera you're interested in.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 824
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 8/10/2012 10:00:10 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: hozay
I've heard good things about that Nikon but was advised by a few people I trust to avoid Sony.

That's interesting as I have a Sony and love it.  My cousin who is on his way to becoming a semi-professional and has sold some of his prints also has a Sony and loves it.  I certainly wouldn't rule Sony out although I agree they have some way to go before they get near Canon and Nikon.   The gap isn't as vast as it was though.

I guess it depends on the experience

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 825
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 8/10/2012 7:13:56 PM   
sanchia

quote:

I've got the Canon 1000d also and it has served me really well although after 2-3 years I'm looking to upgrade (mainly due to picture quality, greater MP's and video - which the 1000 lacks).
It's advantages are that it can be quite an uncomplicated camera if that's what you need ( versatile in it's Auto settings) but also sophisticated enough to satisfy and help the photographer in training on their merry way. I started off using the Auto settings but quickly moved to the more useful manual settings simply by reading the manual and a little trial and error. As mentioned above the fact that DSLR's record all your settings for each shot is hugely helpful. I think the 1000 would suit someone starting a photography course.
I've heard good things about that Nikon but was advised by a few people I trust to avoid Sony. The best thing though is to google reviews for any camera you're interested in.

I have to admit I am looking at upgrading for similar reasons but the 1100d is 12MP which is a decent amount and would last quite a while for a beginner. I have seen some truly stunning pictures from a 1000d

for example:

both from a 1000D thread on another forum I lurk upon. A decent DSLR is one which can grow with you as your skills grow no matter what type you end up choosing.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 826
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 8/10/2012 9:20:48 PM   
gingerdaniel

It's not just about the body though. The lenses make a HUGE difference! I've got a 400d with the kit 18-55 and a 55-250 IS. They're all I could afford at the time. Some friends have some way more expensive lenses and ultrasonic lenses make a massive difference to my pics, letting more light in, focusing faster.

The 1000d is my camera in a smaller form. You can get a body only 600d off eBay for 360. Which I think is a bargain if you're looking for video option. However I'd consider lens options before forking out for a new body.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 827
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 8/10/2012 9:34:06 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

I bought Sony - if I was buying again I'm not sure I'd go down the route, due to the smaller lens catalogue (for example I can't find a current or legacy 24mm prime lens for less than 600). I think Sony are going to start hitting their stride soon though...

- The SLT system seems to be an improvement over the SLR - less moving parts less failures; you lose some light, but the sensor quality makes up for it (IIRC most, if not all, Nikons have Sony built sensors)
-They are slowly growing the lens line-up, and (again if my memory serves me right) are the only manufacturer to have AF Zeiss glass.
- They've just announced a partnership with Hasselblad, allowing Hasselblad to make a garish NEX-7 under license and Hasselblad to make a DSLR in the Alpha mount, this also suggests another line of lenses coming to the frame
- Moving back to a standard hotshoe flash - It may not seem a lot, but when you start doing off camera flash work it is pissing annoying to get special adaptors so your speedlights can attach to light stands (even if the Minolta hotshoe was better and more secure that then standard)

Mind you the best thing you can do is see what your friends use, that way, if you ask nicely, you can borrow their kit

Oh and the thing you've got to remember, 99% of the photographs you see will have been taken with less advanced equipment than the camera you buy. Ansel Adams? Large Format Bellows camera, basically a box and some glass. Henri Cartier Bresson? 35mm rangefinder. Steve Mccurry (afghan Girl) 35mm Nikon.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 828
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 9/10/2012 1:07:05 PM   
UTB

Taken on a recent trip to Mrs UTB's parents in northern spain - Ason Natural Park. We drove up the road on the right which winds round up to the top, from where the picture was taken...

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 829
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 12/10/2012 6:29:59 AM   
Hood_Man

Since I was awake and the night was clear I decided to have a go at some long exposure stuff. Not a terribly interesting pic (wow... a tree...), but it was the best attempt. Man, focusing is a bitch when you can't see anything!

I'll have to have a go another night, see if there are some fields I can snap.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 830
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 12/10/2012 7:00:51 AM   
Hobbitonlass

You took that one Hood? Loving the star trails!! That's something I'd love to have a go, nice one!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 831
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 12/10/2012 7:08:53 AM   
Hood_Man

Yeah, about an hour ago. I thought it would be blurred when I took it, I had to hold the shutter down for over 2 minutes and I don't (yet) have a remote, but it seems ok.

I'm assuming people who get those amazingly crisp and sharp night images must set everything up during the day, because otherwise it must be impossible to get an accurate focus

Thanks

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 832
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 12/10/2012 7:11:58 AM   
sanchia

I think they use red torches which do not affect night vision. Personally I just slap it on infinite focus and go from there as it saves the effort (not that I have produced much worthwhile at night).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 833
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 13/10/2012 10:40:30 PM   
sanchia

My first attempt at a photo stack. I would be able to do more if I waited until after 1 a.m. when the streetlights go off and the keyers come out to play. Light pollution is not good for celestial photo attempts.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 834
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 14/10/2012 1:47:47 PM   
Hood_Man

I took another nighttime long exposure. I've only got a kit lens so there's no infinite focus marker, but I figured out what it would be so I marked it with a pencil on the lens itself, but thanks for telling me, I know what to do in future .

Didn't look very good though, so I'll post this morning's pics instead:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 835
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 14/10/2012 2:36:03 PM   
sanchia

I like that first one.

As I am now learning if you want to get a star trail without overexposing the front of the image you can take a hundred or so 15 to 30 second exposures and stack them with photo stacker which also gets rid of the noise associated with a high ISO. This then gives you a star trail but leaves the foreground with a good exposure.

I got a free one HERE and am in the process of playing with it. I only found this out the other day as i liked the star trail you did.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 836
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 26/10/2012 7:54:58 PM   
chilipenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Yeah, about an hour ago. I thought it would be blurred when I took it, I had to hold the shutter down for over 2 minutes and I don't (yet) have a remote, but it seems ok.

I'm assuming people who get those amazingly crisp and sharp night images must set everything up during the day, because otherwise it must be impossible to get an accurate focus

Thanks

A work around is to use the timer on your camera which gets rid of the need to hold the shutter down. Also should cut down on shake.

Focusing in the dark can be gotten around by shining a torch on what you want to be sharp (foreground interest, such as a tree) and using the auto focus. Once that's locked in, switch back to manual and Robert is your father's brother.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 837
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 15/11/2012 8:00:44 PM   
sanchia

Not a good picture (poorly framed etc.) but when I get my legs back and can get out more and get to my filters and main computer I may take a few more fog pictures.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 838
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 15/11/2012 8:04:33 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I love it when it's really foggy and first thing in the morning when it is still dark. So eerie.

It was bizarre today as saw a story on the beeb about flights cancelled at Heathrow due to the fog yet I couldn't see any and only 10 mins from the airport!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 839
RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken - 15/11/2012 10:59:43 PM   
sanchia

The street lights on that road used to be white vintage style lamps and were very atmospheric. Modern street lights don't have that same ambience. One thing I found out my Steadepod works quite well in place of a tripod even if it is broken.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 15/11/2012 11:00:15 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Most Beautiful Photo You've Ever Taken Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI