Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Historical Epic Thread - Galahad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epic Thread - Galahad Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Galahad - 22/4/2008 3:51:51 PM   
mafyou

I've been savouring the delights of Kingdom of Heaven again. Truly magisterial film. Shame i can't find the thread for it...if i carry on i'm sure i could. But whether i can be bothered...that's another question.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 241
RE: Historical Epic Thread - William Tell - 8/5/2008 10:45:45 PM   
Timon

Producers Fred Caruso and D. Constantine Conte are bringing the story of William Tell to the big screen, reports Variety.

Stunt coordinator and second unit director Ian Quinn will make his feature directorial debut on the $60 million production.

The producers are co-financing The Adventures of William Tell via their Caruso/Conte 2010 Pan-European Fund as well as through independent equity financing.

Cornelius Schregle's script is based on Friedrich von Schiller's 1805 play. The story chronicles the life of the 14th century Swiss
hero who, as legend has it, was forced to shoot an apple off his son's head to win his freedom from Austrian occupiers.

Swiss actress Kiera Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin, will star as Tell's wife.

Pre-production is set to begin in the fall. The film will shoot in Lucerne and other regions in Switzerland, with release scheduled for 2010.

I'm both elated and dismayed about this news. I've been waiting for a 'Tell' film for years back when the project was first announced in 2002 with Heath Ledger, Cameron Diaz and Tom Wilkinson.. It's been in development hell for ages for just before the strike it was rumoured Kevin Reynolds (Prince of Thieves, Waterworld, Count of Monte Cristo) was going to come out of retirement and film it under the title 'Ironbow'.

That got me excited as I've been waiting for him to get back in the director's chair for ages. Either way, I shall watch this production with interest.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 242
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 15/5/2008 2:33:54 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

Dunno if this has been mentioned in this thread yet but I came across this trailer while looking in another thread.  Looks cool

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHno62B6c7w

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 243
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 9/6/2008 4:59:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

I saw Mongol on Friday and I have to say I was very very disappointed. The big battle you see in the trailer? Thats pretty much all you see.

It should have been subtitled:

"The film before anything interesting happens"

or

"Please watch this movie so we have a bigger budget for the war scenes in part 2"

SPOILERS!!!

The pacing was off. It felt like the story of boy who is in a cycle where he is kidnapped and escapes from the bad guys until he is older...when he also keeps getting captured and escaping. Honestly the number of scenes of people saying "Will I ever see you again?" made my eyes roll.

The performances were good, but the script was so muddled honestly - there were three different set of bad guys, and the big bad from the first third seems to be discarded by the third act.

What annoyed me was how the film, claiming to be about how Khan untied the tribes...DOESN'T SHOW IT. One second he is praying after being held prisoner (again!) then he is commanding a huge army with a voiceover trying to explain it all. So in effect we don't actully see the most important part of the story. It is as if a good hour had been cut from the film.

Plodding, dull and badly written, Mongol is a huge disappointment and I cannot for the life of me understand how it got oscar nominiated.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 244
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 11/6/2008 7:44:53 AM   
Timon

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it for what it was, a love story set against Genghis Khan's rise to power.

The major cast was all spot on especially Khan's brother in arms/turned enemy and the battle scenes especially the last one were suitably brutal and at the same time gorgeously shot.

All I can really say is I'm glad they stopped the film when they did because they run the risk of completely ruining how they've built up Khan as a bit touchy feely.

Even after he defeated Jaucazak's tribe, he killed any man that was taller than a wagon wheel, completely decimating the clan.

Next in his way, against the Jin Dynasty, he and his 'Dogs of War' levelled the then-capital city of Zhongdu killing everyone there including women and children. I assume his 'no killing women and children' policy only applied to Mongol women and children.

In his war against the Muslim country of Kwarzen, his armies essentially committed genocide, killing 4/5 of the population!

If they do do a sequel, which I hear they are, it will be very interesting to see what they do with the character and whether they show the Khan's armies taking on the Hungarian knights (which they did!) and even reaching Poland's borders until Khan's death forced their retreat.

I still can't get over the fact, history's most brutal leader died from a nose bleed after getting hammered on his wedding night, gets me every time!

Great film - 4/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 245
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 12/6/2008 4:24:35 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

I saw this last night and I've gotta say I was a bit dissapointed.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

I'd been looking forward to seeing this since I saw the trailer a couple of weeks back.  On the promise of big glorious battles, sweeping landscapes and a good story, I went to the cinema hoping to be suitably pleased.  I only got half of what I was looking for.

The first 45 minutes felt like a rather large game of hide and seek.  Genghis would be caputred and then escape.  He'd be captured again and then escape and so forth. 

His motives for uniting the clans of Mongolia were never made apparent apart from a few fleeting moments then all of a sudden he decides to do it.  Like  Rgirvan44 says  he goes from captive to warlord  with only a flimsy voice over to explain how.

I also felt robbed of some serious bloodletting.  The movie promised some sumptious battles but when it came to the big one it was cancelled... due to rain (This had me furious ).

Don't get me wrong, the film isn't a bad one.  The word epic was invented for this film.  You never get a feeling that you've seen the same place twice and it really does give you a feeling that you've travelled far and wide (even if there's a severe lack of landmarks to conclude it ).  All the acting was  flawless especially, as mentioned by Timon, Khan's "brother".

My biggest problem with the film was the speed of it.  Whilst epics nowadays are in the region of 2 and a half to 3 hours this one was only two but I felt like I had been in the cinema for about 5.  It never feels like it's going to get, well, going, and for me it didn't.

2.5 out of 5

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 246
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 28/7/2008 7:55:18 AM   
Timon

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 247
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 7/8/2008 4:45:52 PM   
Mason Verger

Hannibal of the Alps
Thursday 07 August
8:00pm - 9:00pm
Five

Documentary telling the story of how Hannibal, one of the greatest commanders of all time, brought Rome to its knees and transformed the western world.VIDEO Plus+: 2681823
Repeat, Subtitled

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 248
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/8/2008 12:40:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

So I have a favour to ask.

I am off work for the next week with no plans to go anywhere and with the weather the way it is I doubt I will be outside a lot. So of course I am thinking of getting some historical epics to watch.

I was wondering if anyone here could say if it was worth buying Masada? Its long, set during Roman times and stars Peter O'Toole as a Roman general. Never heard of it until this week but not sure if there is a reason for that (i.e its not good).

Looks like it would be right down my street but would rather be sure about making the purchse. Failing that are there anymore of those old historical miniseries American TV had a habit of making in the 80s that are worth a watch?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 249
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 18/8/2008 9:46:38 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Those posters actually excite me

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 250
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 18/8/2008 11:46:14 AM   
swordsandsandals

Nottingham.

That is all I need to see for the next three years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 251
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 31/8/2008 3:09:06 PM   
Mason Verger

Today at 3.10pm on Five

The Odyssey (1997) (TV)

Post #: 252
RE: Historical Epic Thread - Mongol - 1/9/2008 3:06:54 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Nottingham.

That is all I need to see for the next three years.

Same here!

And Outlander!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 253
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/10/2008 7:57:55 AM   
Mason Verger

Waterloo
Saturday 18 October
2:20pm - 4:30pm
BBC2

Rod Steiger gives a magnificent performance as Napoleon - all hot rages and cool calculation as he heads for his destiny in Belgium - in this epic history lesson from Ukrainian director Sergei Bondarchuk. Steiger even manages to upstage the thousands of Soviet soldiers recruited as extras for the battle scenes, yet he's nearly outshone by Christopher Plummer as the Duke of Wellington, whose arrogance shows his contempt for lower-class cannon-fodder. Bondarchuk filmed in Italy and the Ukraine, and the result is a mightily credible reconstruction of events that changed the course of western history. It's the two major performances, though, that lift it out of the textbooks and give it humanity.
VIDEO Plus+: 36997128
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
Cast

• Napoleon Bonaparte - Rod Steiger
  • Louis XVIII - Orson Welles
  • Duchess of Richmond - Virginia McKenna
  • Sir William Ponsonby - Michael Wilding
  • Private O'Connor - Donal Donnelly
  • Duke of Wellington - Christopher Plummer
  • General Thomas Picton - Jack Hawkins
  • Marshal Michel Ney - Dan O'Herlihy
  • Lord Uxbridge - Terence Alexander
  • Lord Gordon - Rupert Davies
  • Marshal Soult - Ivo Garrani
  • General Drouot - Gianni Garko
    Directed by: Sergei Bondarchuk
    Filmed in: 1970

• Post #: 254
    RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 28/10/2008 12:07:00 PM   
    Timon

Hastings, 1066!

Killer Films has signed a deal with the GC Corp. to co-produce the medieval action film William the Conqueror by screenwriters Brian Edgar and Derek Wallbank, reports Variety.The script follows the rise of the illegitimate son of the Duke of Normandy to the English crown in 1066 following the Battle of Hastings.The project marks a left turn from Killer's well-known indie projects, which include Boys Don't Cry, Far From Heaven and Hedwig and the Angry Inch."This is a big-budget studio movie. For many years we've been interested in a bigger canvas. It was just a matter of finding the right project," Killer Films' Pamela Koffler told the trade.

Intriguing but who will the audience be asked to root for? William, the conquering bastard who held a legitimate claim to the throne but was ignored by Harold...or Harold the Anglo-Saxon king trying to unite his kingdom whilst holding back the Vikings and the French...

Post #: 255
    RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 10/11/2008 6:43:29 PM   
    Rgirvan44

Hey folks,

Anyone here watched Nomad? I keep seeing the DVD but can't recall a trailer or a cinema release.

Also if anyone has an hour to kill could I recommed the Empire Script Challange  - this months is based on writing about a historical event. Needless to say I have an entered script but thought some of the regulars to this page might like a look and vote on their favorite. Don't need to review them all if you don't have time.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/11/2008 6:46:44 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 256
    RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/11/2008 6:57:09 PM   
    Timon

My bro saw Nomad when he spent a year in Russia. Said it was ridiculous but entertaining enough.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
    Post #: 257
    RE: Outlander 2: Mortis Rex - 19/2/2009 2:32:26 PM   
    Timon

I'm currently reading Steven Saylor's ROMA: The Epic Story of Rome and I just found his website. On it is a page of 'currently in production Ancient World movies' like Neil Marshall's Centurion, Tarsim Singh's The War of the Gods and The Clash of the Titans remake.

There's also something about 'Amazon' - the tale of a gladiatrix who exacts vengeance on the army that destroyed her homeland, circa 200 B.C. Screenplay is by the team of Dirk Blackman and Howard McCain, scripters for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans and the upcoming new Conan epic. Scarlett Johanson to star!

http://www.stevensaylor.com/StevensBookshopDVDNewMovies.html

Anyway, the thing that caught my eye was MORTIS REX

http://mortisrexmovie.com/

It's currently in development but is set in 123 AD, when a disgraced Roman warrior, sent to defend a garrison in remote Scotland from a spate of mysterious killings, must unite with the local Druids to vanquish a terrifying supernatural beast. The project is the brainchild of Hellboy co-writer Peter Briggs.

It immediately struck me as an unofficial Outlander sequel!

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 258
    RE: Outlander 2: Mortis Rex - 19/2/2009 8:33:30 PM   
    Wedge

quote:

It's currently in development but is set in 123 AD, when a disgraced Roman warrior, sent to defend a garrison in remote Scotland from a spate of mysterious killings, must unite with the local Druids to vanquish a terrifying supernatural beast. The project is the brainchild of Hellboy co-writer Peter Briggs.

Prequel, surely?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
    "Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
    "Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 259
    RE: Outlander 2: Mortis Rex - 20/2/2009 9:15:46 AM   
    Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

quote:

Prequel, surely?

Really? Surely Outlander must be set roughly around the same time....

(in reply to Wedge)
    Post #: 260
    RE: Outlander 2: Mortis Rex - 20/2/2009 9:28:57 AM   
    Rgirvan44

Vikings came around about 500 years later.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 261
    RE: Outlander 2: Mortis Rex - 20/2/2009 9:35:14 AM   
    Timon

Darn.

Ah well, surely 'Amazon' should rock though eh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488942/

Scarlett Johanson as an Amazonian warrior?! Brilliant. I wonder if it'll be set round the time of Theseus, like Steven Pressfield's Last of the Amazons. Great book.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
    Post #: 262
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 3/3/2009 9:44:46 AM   
    JoeyPottr

I always like 'historical epics' Hollywood usually takes lots of liberties but they are still fun to watch (the costumes, locations, sets) I really enjoyed Gladiator, Braveheart, yes even Alexander which the Final Cut is better than the one shown in theatres. Kingdom of Heaven the Director's Cut, and Troy The Director's Cut are much better as well. Just the spectacle I enjoy. As long as the casting is careful with these types of films there's always an audience for them. They provide an escape to another time.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to vic_vega)
    Post #: 263
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 3/3/2009 10:06:59 AM   
    Rgirvan44

Don't know if this has been mentioned but the trailer for Agora has been released - looks pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WSU-hh2j2g 

Much bigger than I expected. Alexandria looks amazing.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
    Post #: 264
    RE: The Historical Epic Thread - Medieval - 4/3/2009 9:13:24 AM   
    Timon

Alex Litvak and Michael Finch have sold their original screenplay "Medieval" to New Regency Pictures, says The Hollywood Reporter.The script's story line plays like The Dirty Dozen in the age of castles, plagues and serfs, which the studio hopes to spin as a hyper-realistic action movie in the vein of 300

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
    Post #: 265
    RE: Scarlett Johanson: Amazonian Warrior - 4/3/2009 1:06:30 PM   
    Timon

quote:

Darn.

Ah well, surely 'Amazon' should rock though eh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488942/

Scarlett Johanson as an Amazonian warrior?! Brilliant. I wonder if it'll be set round the time of Theseus, like Steven Pressfield's Last of the Amazons. Great book.

Some small snippet of info:

Scarlett Johansson is battling with her own self-confidence to take on the role of a bloodthirsty gladiatrix - because she isn't sure she "fits the mould" of a warrior woman.

The sexy actress has signed a deal to star in Amazon, the story of a female gladiator in 200 BC who takes on the might of an army after her homeland is destroyed.

But although the star has dealt with guns and fight scenes in her previous big screen adventures, she's apprehensive at the prospect of transforming into a tough-girl action star.

She says, "I think I'm supposed to be a gladiatrix. These film guys are crazy about gladiatrixes. But do I fit the mould? I'm a Danish/Jewish girl from New York.
    "I've done weapons training. I've fired all kinds of guns; 9mm semi-automatics, machine guns, shotguns. I've jumped off a 60-foot building. I learnt to ride for The Horse Whisperer. But I've never done a full-on action role.
    "I guess I'm still waiting for my Cirque du Soleil moment. It would be fun."

Come on Scarlett, you know you'd be great. Surround her with a few other stunners and have her fighting the Greeks.... or Romans according to the script. I'd have personally like to see it set earlier... around the times of Ancient Greece or Alexander of Macedonia. Scarlett is an interesting choice for casting though considering that the Land of the Amazons was apparantly Turkey or even further east.

I wonder if it'll include the 'breast ironing' - removing of one breast so they could be better archers.

As Hippocrates said, "They have no right breasts...for while they are yet babies their mothers make red-hot a bronze instrument constructed for this very purpose and apply it to the right breast and cauterize it, so that its growth is arrested, and all its strength and bulk are diverted to the right shoulder and right arm."

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 266
    RE: Scarlett Johanson: Amazonian Warrior - 4/3/2009 4:38:19 PM   
    homersimpson_esq

If nothing else the film should get some great limited edition DVD case from amazon.co.uk... 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
    A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 267
    RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 12/3/2009 12:34:47 PM   
    Timon

quote:

quote:

Hadida/Davis Films have announced that British actor James Purefoy (Rome) has been cast in the title role of the live-action screen adaptation of Solomon Kane, based on the novels by Conan creator Robert E. Howard.

The news, which was picked up by ThisIsScotland.co.uk and ComingSoon.net, says that Kane is the first part of a proposed trilogy. "Solomon Kane (Purefoy) is a 16th Century soldier who learns that his brutal and cruel actions have damned him," reports CS. "Determined to redeem himself, Kane swears to live a life of peace and goodness but is forced to fight once more when a dark power threatens the land."

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 268
    RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 13/5/2009 1:47:10 PM   
    Timon

Like Megan Fox? Like Knights? Like James Purefoy? Like swords?

IRONCLAD!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/

Directed by someone called Jonathan English?! Gave the world the DTV Minotaur with Tom Hardy and Rutger Hauer. I like him already.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 269
    RE: Historical Epics - Like Megan Fox? Like Swords? - 13/5/2009 2:16:14 PM   
    Nostromo.

Have been looking further afield lately for my historical fix and there are a few foreign films out there that need a uk release date. One I came accross a few weeks backs is:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374298/

Its set in the Russo-Turkish war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1877%E2%80%931878)) and the storming of Pleven. Here is a clip in all its awsomeness:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgK3QdByeQ

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 270
    Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epic Thread - Galahad Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI