Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/10/2007 6:37:20 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw this earlier today

It might not belong in this thread because there's is actually very little epic aboput it, despite the fact the DVD cober suggest some large scale battle (all in all, there's about 2 minutes of fighting). It is historical though.

It's set in Canada in 1759 as England and France are fighting for control of the French territories. Tim Roth and Jason Issacs pop up as English aristocracy (they have about 5 minutes of screen time between them) and Gerard Depardieu stars as a priest. At its heart though, it's a love story between a peasant girl (Nomie Godin-Vigneau) and a trapper (David La Haye) and overall it's not a bad film, and it certainly goes in directions I didn't expect.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 211
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/11/2007 9:11:40 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Hadida/Davis Films have announced that British actor James Purefoy (Rome) has been cast in the title role of the live-action screen adaptation of Solomon Kane, based on the novels by Conan creator Robert E. Howard.

The news, which was picked up by ThisIsScotland.co.uk and ComingSoon.net, says that Kane is the first part of a proposed trilogy. "Solomon Kane (Purefoy) is a 16th Century soldier who learns that his brutal and cruel actions have damned him," reports CS. "Determined to redeem himself, Kane swears to live a life of peace and goodness but is forced to fight once more when a dark power threatens the land."

Does he not look cool?!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 212
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/11/2007 10:11:07 AM   
Wedge

Ooooh, when's this out? 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 213
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/11/2007 10:31:03 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I don't think a release date's been confirmed yet, but that promo poster looks uber-cool  Isn't it the first part of a series of films?

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 214
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/11/2007 10:39:25 AM   
Timon

If it does well....then that's most likely but how many potential franchise starters have died at the box office recently? Sahara....Master and Commander...etc

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 215
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 23/11/2007 10:58:43 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I have faith in Purefoy - that guys got talent. I hope they dont release it around the same time as Indy though. Im sure I read somewhere that the similarities between the two characters were palpable. It was probably Empire.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 216
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 5/12/2007 9:30:05 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I dont really see to much of this genre. It's not really what i really watch My fav would have to be Gladiator. 300 was alrite but could have been way better

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 217
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 9/12/2007 11:01:27 AM   
Wedge

Waterloo (1970)

Anyone seen this film?  Any good?  I've just finished watching my Sharpe collection and it's got me interested in the battle.

Also, have just watched Beowulf and Grendal, and wouldn't recommend it.  Good cast but poor, weak, cheap film making.

By all accounts Wrath of Gods, the documentary of it's making, is a far far better film.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 218
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 9/12/2007 10:31:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

Waterloo (1970)

Anyone seen this film?  Any good?  I've just finished watching my Sharpe collection and it's got me interested in the battle.

Also, have just watched Beowulf and Grendal, and wouldn't recommend it.  Good cast but poor, weak, cheap film making.

By all accounts Wrath of Gods, the documentary of it's making, is a far far better film.

I love Waterloo - its not a perfect film but the cast is superb - Plummer is a personal favorite. Its also one of the few epics whose battles truely feel they could have been shot at the real Waterloo - the camera high in the sky looking down at thousands of horses circling square formations of English infantry, all done in camera and without the aid of CGI is simply stunning.

Its only a fiver in HMV - go for it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 219
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 10/12/2007 9:22:27 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Its only a fiver in HMV - go for it.

3.99 from Play.com or one of three in their '3 for 10' deal....tempting...

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 220
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 10/12/2007 11:13:03 AM   
Timon

If you like Sharpe, I'd invest in the Hornblower Collection. Just as good if not better, same era but with ships! Brilliant stuff and a great cast with Ioan Gruffud, Robert Lindsay, Battlestar Galactica's Jamie Bamber, Paul McGann, David Warner, Dennis Lawson and Philip Glenister.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 221
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 10/12/2007 5:19:49 PM   
Wedge

Yes, I probably willone day   Haven't seen much of the Hornblower series, have they stopped filming them now?  Don't want to buy the 'complete' boxset, only for them to make some new ones, as with Sharpe

Best price out there seems to be from Amazon, who have it for 24.98.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 222
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 10/12/2007 5:22:44 PM   
Timon

They haven't made any for years. I'm not expecting them to make any more now Gruffud has moved to Hollywood. Get the complete series. Well worth it.

I got the first boxset but then they made 'Loyalty' and 'Duty' a few months after so I got them seperately, but that was back in 2003. Seriously, you won't regret it. A great series...I'll go so far to say it's better than Sharpe.

< Message edited by Timon -- 10/12/2007 5:23:05 PM >

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 223
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/12/2007 5:47:43 PM   
Wedge

This is from wikipedia re. the future of the series,

"Ioan Gruffudd has been quoted as saying that he would be glad to participate in more Hornblower films,[1] however, there are currently no plans for future episodes.
On the March 22, 2007 episode of The Graham Norton Show, Gruffudd disclosed that the American producers have decided to end the series due to high production costs.
On february 20, 2007 he also said he's planning to make a big screen version of Hornblower. He's attempting to gain the rights to the books by C.S. FORESTER, despite the refusal of US network A&E, who produced the TV series, to fund the project. Gruffudd says, "I would love to play Hornblower again. I have a dream of playing him on the big screen and maybe doing a remake of Captain Horatio Hornblower, aka Gregory Peck. "A&E decided that since it's such an expensive venture to make these movies for television, they're not going to make any more at this point. So it's down to me, I think, to try to bring it back to life.""

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 224
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/12/2007 6:24:11 PM   
Timon

Go on Ioan! You can do it!

See Wedge, no more TV movies. Get the boxset. I'll sit back and wait for the movie. Perhaps Hornblower and Russell Crowe's Jack Aubrey could join forces!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 225
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 12/12/2007 6:16:54 PM   
Wedge

quote:

Perhaps Hornblower and Russell Crowe's Jack Aubrey could join forces!

And their task is to take Sean Bean's Sharpe on almost certainly suicidal mission!  That would be fucking cool!!

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 226
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 13/12/2007 6:19:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Go on Ioan! You can do it!

See Wedge, no more TV movies. Get the boxset. I'll sit back and wait for the movie. Perhaps Hornblower and Russell Crowe's Jack Aubrey could join forces!

That could possibly be one of the best things ever!

I'd love to see a big screen Hornblower.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 227
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 13/12/2007 10:04:18 AM   
Heskin Radiophonic

I like the old Master & Commander thing.  Also pretty much anything that begins Once Upon A Time... I like OUAT In India where the final conflict is settled with a cricket match!

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
new ep free download

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 228
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 13/12/2007 5:51:15 PM   
Wedge

Just read in the Metro today that the BBC are making an adaption of The Three Musketeers.  Please God, please, not another Robin Hood!

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
Post #: 229
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 1/2/2008 8:06:28 PM   
Timon

Nice, I always loved The Musketeers. I shall try and find out more.

Firstly, fancy a Genghis Khan biopic?! I've started a thread in World Cinema if you are.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 230
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/2/2008 4:34:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

Finally got round to seeing Glory this weekend. Thats right - I have never seen it before.Been feeling guilty about that.

I enjoyed it but didn't feel it quite reached the levels of masterpiece. I loved that we saw a lot of camp life and the range of people who came together. However I felt the film was missing something, character beats here and there. The most jarring moment was the cut from Shaw and Trip talking at the river to the beach outside Fort Wagner. Felt like a big bit of the film was cut there.

I will also say, the sooner film makers stop using re-enactors for Civil War battles the more I will invest in them. Seeing men of a larger frame pretend to be suffering from hunger and exhastion doesn't sell what was a very brutal war. I had a similar complaint in regards to Gettysburg and Gods and Generals.

I'm not having a go at them - they take time out of their lives and come with thier own equipment because they love the period. But in no way does it put accross the reality of just how much these forces suffered.

So Glory gets a 3.5 out of 5. It's worth watching, but I'm still waiting for a definitive Civil War film. And an American Revolution one for that matter (Hopefully John Adams will deliver)

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 11/2/2008 4:43:06 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 231
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/2/2008 5:18:33 PM   
Timon

Ouph.

To be honest, Rgirvan I think it's a grower. I loved it straight out of the gate but I know my brother started to apperciate it on the 2nd/3rd viewing

There's an appreciation thread for it HERE, if you're interested in what others thought.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 232
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 11/2/2008 7:08:09 PM   
Jack's Rage

quote:

quote:

Hadida/Davis Films have announced that British actor James Purefoy (Rome) has been
cast in the title role of the live-action screen adaptation of Solomon Kane, based on the novels by Conan creator Robert E. Howard.

The news, which was picked up by ThisIsScotland.co.uk and ComingSoon.net, says that Kane is the first part of a proposed trilogy. "Solomon Kane (Purefoy) is a 16th Century soldier who learns that his brutal and cruel actions have damned him," reports CS. "Determined to redeem himself, Kane swears to live a life of peace and goodness but is forced to fight once more when a dark power threatens the land."

Does he not look cool?!

This does look good. And yes the character looks cool. But you know what...so did Van Helsing (who he is the splitting image of). Not saying it will suck but just that one sheets don't tell us much.

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 233
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/2/2008 7:35:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Ouph.

To be honest, Rgirvan I think it's a grower. I loved it straight out of the gate but I know my brother started to apperciate it on the 2nd/3rd viewing

There's an appreciation thread for it HERE, if you're interested in what others thought.

Yeah, I willing to give it another shot. I wasn't a huge fan of Children of Men when I saw it at the cinema. I now think its one of the best films of the last decade. Who knows  - I think I watched it with huge expectations. It is a good film, it just didn't get me first time round.

You seen Revolution? I have heard really bad things about it, but some of the sets look impressive. It's amazing there aren't more films about these two periods of Americas history.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 234
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 11/2/2008 8:29:38 PM   
Mason Verger

Attila the Hun
Wednesday 13 February
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC1

Who knew Dark Age barbarians could be so touchy-feely? The Attila the Hun who emerges from this enjoyable drama doc is more troubled by angst and self-questioning than you might expect of a fifth century warlord. But it's all part of the effort to bring him to life and separate him from his less than glowing image. It helps that a very hairy Rory McCann gives such a wild-eyed, scary performance as the Hun king, which goes some way to counteracting the talky scenes where Attila and his right-hand man, Edeco (Allen Leech), bond like a pair of salesmen after a good pitch. But the real reason to watch is the battle scenes. Yes, those big special-effects shots where great hordes of tiny computer-generated men run across a dusty battlefield can look daft but, as the trickery improves, they're becoming more believable - and at times almost stirring. With some surprisingly good acting (including turns from the likes of Michael Maloney and Kevin Eldon as hapless Roman emissaries), you may find yourself getting nicely wrapped up in a handsomely mounted historical drama.

RT reviewer - David ButcherVIDEO Plus+: 1435
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
Episode written by Tony Etchells

Cast

• Attila the Hun - Rory McCann
  • Edeco - Allen Leech
  • Bleda - Nicholas Boulton
  • Zercon - Big Mick
  • Vigilas - Michael Maloney
  • Chrysaphius - Ian Barritt
  • Romulus - Kevin Eldon
  • Autius - Oliver Cotton
  • Theodosius - Jonny Phillips
  • Maximinus - Ian Lindsay
    Directed by: Gareth Edwards

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
  • Post #: 235
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 5/3/2008 4:13:15 PM   
    Timon

I'm currently really enjoying the BBC's Heroes and Villain's series where they do one hour docu-dramas on various historical figures like Atilla the Hun and Napoleon.

Watching the Spartacus one on Friday, it got me thinking about all those rubbishy DTV Historical epics. I once caught a glimpse of a made for TV Jason and the Argonauts and was so unimpressed, I vowed to never watch another one again BUT I've heard got things about Spartacus with ER's Goran Vjsisisisincncic.....oh I don't know!

So has anyone seen these and what do you think?

Oh and is Pathfinder REALLY that bad? I still refuse to believe it.

(in reply to vic_vega)
    Post #: 236
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 5/3/2008 4:33:01 PM   
    Mojo

I watched a little bit of that Spartacus and it was dreadfully cheap.

Oh, and I quite liked Pathfinder. Some great action and Karl Urban is pretty solid. Nowhere near as bad as they say.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 237
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 5/3/2008 4:43:10 PM   
    Timon

Nice nice. I'll pick it up one day when it's uber cheap on Amazon.

Here's hoping Outlander rights any wrongs that Pathfinder inflicted upon its critics.......even if it is Alien Vs Predator In Viking Times!

(in reply to Mojo)
    Post #: 238
    RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 5/3/2008 4:43:25 PM   
    dracovir

If its the one I recall from Hallmark, Jason and the Argonaughts wasn't bad at all - it hailed from the same series of annual projects that Channel 4 would screen in the Easter (I think it they were Christmas events for American telly?).  If you liked their other films/miniseries of the type, like the Ted Danson Gulliver's Travels, the Sam Neill Merlin, or the Armande Assante (sp?) The Odyssey (which I found to be hugely brilliant and enjoyable, for a TV film) then you'd like this.

Haven't come across this thread before, so some thoughts.  Since Braveheart (which I think is fairer to pin as the first film in the currently continuing slate of 3 hour period epics) gave us a revamp of sword-and-sandal into blood-and-thunder, it has marked a distinct alteration in how the films are made (although Gladiator did give us a more digital ancient world as a milestone).  Tones are darker, more serious, gore is not usually held back on, and it feels like we embrace the more violent, barbaric nature of life back then (compare The Passion of the Christ to previous adaptations of Christ's final hours) and for the most part it works, in my opinion, for the better - which is not to degrade any prevoius films in any way (Ben Hur is still one of my all time favourite films of this kind).  I have a feeling that, in this day and age of the Discovery Channel and such, we expect more realism in films like this, as opposed to more theatrical fare - although I guess there is a debate to be had there.

Which is one reason I especially loved 300 - it is not a historical film, does not even try to be one - it's an adaptation of a comic book which it tried to emulate as well as a film can, and in turn the comic was Frank Miller's own take of the event, inspired by the not-so-well-known 1959 (I think) sword and sandal epic The 300 Spartans (apologies if someone already pointed this out).  It was nice to see the event overplayed and exaggerated somewhat, all to hammer home the sacrifice and heroism seen over those three days, whilst being bloody good fun to boot.

I do hope that the studios continue to throw a few of these types of films out, because even if they are not popcorn entertainment they can still make an audience think, be inspired, and can showcase the big budget end of the art that studio releases oftentimes fail to show.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 239
    RE: Historical Epic Thread - Galahad - 11/3/2008 3:40:59 PM   
    Timon

After the disappointing Arthurian revision film, King Arthur, an indie studio is giving it a stab...but with a twist. From the point of view of Sir Galahad (the Chaste).

The Film Department, the indie production outfit run by Mark Gill and Neil Sacker, has won a bidding war for "Galahad," a revisionist King Arthur spec from newcomer Ryan Condal.

Gill and the company's Robert Katz will produce with Energy Entertainment's Brooklyn Weaver.

"Galahad" retells the classic story by portraying King Arthur as an aging coward whose young, ambitious Queen Guinevere murders him, then blames the crime on Sir Galahad. Galahad must escape near-certain death, vanquish the forces of evil and return Camelot to its rightful glory.

Gill and Sacker liked that it was based on the well-known legend.

"Our business is so dependent on international sales, and something like this is known around the globe," Gill said. "It's also a phenomenally well-written script. It was a nice one to get."

Could be interesting - can't be worse than King Arthur and although I have yet to see Excalibur, I still have yet to see a decent Arthurian film. A film that carries the feel of The Dark Ages that Bernard Cornwell's Warlord series did so well. I'd like to see a film in that vein rather than the Disney-esque Camelot of First Knight.

(in reply to dracovir)
    Post #: 240
    Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
    Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI