Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 19/7/2007 11:36:27 AM   
Timon

Mafyou, it's a good plan but I have no idea how to implement it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
quote:

Also isn't there a Viking movie involving an alien beast coming to Earth and having to be hunted by another alien? Very Alien vs Predator...

You speak of Outlander (Future Film Thread)! Interesting stuff. I can't wait for this.

The sci-fi action/adventure film stars Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, Ron Perlman and John Hurt. The film is helmed by Howard McCain from a screenplay he wrote with Dirk Blackman, and produced by Ascendant Pictures/VIP Medienfronds 4 in association with Rising Star.

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world - Kainan - and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

The Moorwen has been designed by famed monster/creature creator Patrick Tatopoulos. In addition, the film's conceptual art and design was done by the team of conceptual artists (Iain McCaig and Ninth Ray) behind the Star Wars trilogy.

Haven't bigged up Outlander for a while so here are some pics and a link to a decent fan website - http://outlander.solsector.net/

Set in the time of the Vikings, OUTLANDER is the story of what happens when an alien creature falls to Earth when there were no guns, no blasters - just brawn and steel. It is a hard-core muscular monster movie in the vein of PITCH BLACK, PREDATOR and ALIENS.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 181
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 19/7/2007 12:00:45 PM   
mafyou

That looks really good! Vikings are the 'in' thing at the moment i presume what with Pathfinder as well. Quite a good strong cast as well and if you have Jesus on your team you can't lose!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 182
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 19/7/2007 12:10:24 PM   
Timon

Indeed.

I love these 'little' 40 million dollar films that sneak in under the radar. Shows Hollywood you don't need 200million + for a high concept movies. Hopefully it'll live up to the awesome concept art.

< Message edited by Timon -- 19/7/2007 12:11:49 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 183
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 20/7/2007 4:17:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Some impressive pics there for Outlander, sounds like it could be a winner.

quote:

I have seen the new Last Legion trailer and while it does look epic, I've been informed by my brother who saw it in Russia that it's not very good. I'm still curious though even if it's looks a little King Arthur meets Xena.

I'm not sure if I'm buying Colin Firth in a warrior role. It just seems so very different to other characters he's played.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 184
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 11/8/2007 1:11:43 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I have seen the new Last Legion trailer and while it does look epic, I've been informed by my brother who saw it in Russia that it's not very good. I'm still curious though even if it's looks a little King Arthur meets Xena.

I'm not sure if I'm buying Colin Firth in a warrior role. It just seems so very different to other characters he's played.

I kinda believed him in a warrior-ish role in The New World. I thought he was good in that actually.

Does Excalibur count as an historical epic? I watched it last night and thought that it was a big disappointment. What's everyone's elses thoughts?

Has anyone seen the Polish epic - Knights of the Teutonic Order?

< Message edited by mafyou -- 11/8/2007 2:49:29 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 185
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 11/8/2007 6:21:03 PM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

quote:

quote:

I kinda believed him in a warrior-ish role in The New World. I thought he was good in that actually.

Does Excalibur count as an historical epic? I watched it last night and thought that it was a big disappointment. What's everyone's elses thoughts?

Well,mafyou,I absolutely love Excalibur,so much so that I would go so far as to say that I really can't see the point in anyone doing another version of the King Arthur legends(with the possible exception of Bernard Cornwell's Warlord series of novels...) I thought it was beautifully realized,looked gorgeous and had a marvellous cast...
As for Knights Of The Teutonic Order,I've never even heard of it...
I would however recommend this...out on R2 in Spain now...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 186
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 11/8/2007 6:49:37 PM   
mafyou

Ooh, that looks interesting! Is there a link to where i can buy it? Or will it released over here anytime soon?

And Excalibur. Well obviously you are entitled to your own opinion (otherwise no debate!) but i just thought it was a bit flat. Irish King Arthur? No Sir Galahad? It was a beautiful looking film but it felt a bit flimsy in the story, floating around. There were good points - all in the second half i might add. And the whole idea of it being in the Middle Ages but with 16th Century armour just felt a bit - wtf?! It is still probably the best Arthur movie. The definitive movie on Arthur from Malory's work is still to be made in my opinion.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 187
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 12/8/2007 1:37:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Colin Firth wasn't in The New World, was he?
I haven't seen Excalibur in years. I can't remember much about it other than I liked it, and that it starred a bunch of people who would later become much more famous.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn
I would however recommend this...out on R2 in Spain now...

I'm waiting for this to reach the UK. It looks excellent.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 12/8/2007 1:40:12 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 188
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 12/8/2007 11:55:00 AM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Colin Firth wasn't in The New World, was he?
I haven't seen Excalibur in years. I can't remember much about it other than I liked it, and that it starred a bunch of people who would later become much more famous.

Shh Gimli! Just because i saw Colin and then F and assumed Farrell doesn't mean you need to go embarressing me!

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 189
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 12/8/2007 12:40:50 PM   
princessa

Looking forward to Outlander - looks good...

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 190
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 12/8/2007 5:20:57 PM   
mafyou

Dances with Wolves is sublime. Just saw it for the first time. Deserved its Oscars. And more acclaim than it gets.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 191
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 13/8/2007 12:20:55 PM   
Timon

Was it the Director's Cut you saw? As that is even better.

What's the word of Alatriste? I've been waiting for that for what seems like an eon.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 192
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 13/8/2007 2:22:39 PM   
mafyou

quote:

Was it the Director's Cut you saw? As that is even better.

Aye, it was indeed. I haven't seen the theatrical but to be honest i can't imagine the film being shorter. It was perfect how it was.

With regard to Alatriste i'm hoping Cuchulain comes back and tells us some more!

Edit: I just watced the Dances with Wolves documentary Creation of an Epic. Good piece to a superb Epic Western.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 13/8/2007 4:16:59 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 193
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 13/8/2007 10:38:54 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Dances with Wolves is sublime. Just saw it for the first time. Deserved its Oscars. And more acclaim than it gets.

Good for you. It seems that Dances With Wolves is often looked at as the film that beat Goodfellas to the Best Picture Oscar. Wolves is the better film, pretty much perfect.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 14/8/2007 1:37:45 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 194
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 13/8/2007 11:35:06 PM   
mafyou

quote:

quote:

Good for you. It seem that Dances With Wolves is often looked at as the film that beat Goodfellas to the Best Picture Oscar. Wolves is the better film, pretty much perfect.

Don't say that anywhere else on the forum! You'll get flamed. I agree with you though.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 195
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 14/8/2007 5:45:26 PM   
mafyou

I'm just going to start post anything about Historical Epics in here now. Hope that's alright. No one really seems to post in here much.

I just saw Joan of Arc (the most recent one) and didn't think that it was very good. I want to check out the other films though as i know there are more than a few. Anybody else seen one of these and can personally recommend it?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 196
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 17/8/2007 4:25:15 PM   
mafyou

I just saw King Arthur and have to say i find it a lot more enjoyable than Excalibur. It's not perfect but i do think the DC is a little bit better. I enjoyed it and don't think it is as bad as many make it out to be.

And how call is Tristan?!

Does anyone know of a planned Special Edition of King Arthur? The dvds on sale atm are quite poor on special features and i just wondered whether anything was planned. Ta.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 17/8/2007 7:10:37 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 197
RE: Historical Epics - Sean Bean To Go Norse - 6/9/2007 9:08:53 AM   
Timon

It really does seem like Vikings are flavour of the month what with Pathfinder, Outlander and the Swedish film Arn for Hollywood is planning ANOTHER Viking epic.

Writer-director Menno Meyjes is setting sail on his Viking epic Last Battle Dreamer with Ryan Phillippe, Abbie Cornish and Sean Bean on board, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Scheduled to shoot later this year, the project is backed by Future Films, with Handmade Films International handling sales duties.

Phillippe will star as a seventh-century Viking warrior named Thorfinn who, along with his older brother, the battle-scarred Hakon (Sean Bean), invades Britain.

The Beanster raping and pillaging. Awesome.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 198
RE: Historical Epics - Sean Bean To Go Norse - 6/9/2007 11:29:19 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Sounds rather promising. Sean Bean always does superbly in films such as this. Although, Phillippe? Odd choice. He must be getting to be bit of a favourite now.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 199
RE: Historical Epics - Sean Bean To Go Norse - 20/9/2007 2:05:13 PM   
princessa

Just to let everyone know that Beowulf and Grendel - starring Gerard Butler, Stellan Skaarsgard and Sarah Polley is available on DVD from 8th October.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 200
RE: Historical Epics - Sean Bean To Go Norse - 25/9/2007 5:19:15 PM   
Timon

Ooh nice. I'll stop waiting for the R1 to get cheaper now. It'll probably end up in a bargain bin after a couple of months.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 201
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 26/9/2007 4:13:44 PM   
justified by grace

quote:

Indeed.

I love these 'little' 40 million dollar films that sneak in under the radar. Shows Hollywood you don't need 200million + for a high concept movies. Hopefully it'll live up to the awesome concept art.

This looks seriously cool.

quote:

In addition, the film's conceptual art and design was done by the team of conceptual artists (Iain McCaig and Ninth Ray) behind the Star Wars trilogy. 

This is fantastic.  Whatever you think about the Star Wars prequels (I love them), you have to admit that the visual rendering of the Star Wars universe shows plenty of imagination.

Also, I looked this up on imdb and it's being produced by Barrie M. Osbourne (who produced the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Face/Off, and executive produced The Matrix).

< Message edited by justified by grace -- 26/9/2007 4:15:41 PM >

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 202
RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? - 26/9/2007 7:32:22 PM   
Wedge

OK, perhaps this isn't quite the right thread, however, Timon (or anyone else for that matter), have you heard any news about the Dambusters?  I haven't seen anything about it for a good year now. 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to justified by grace)
Post #: 203
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 2/10/2007 11:05:07 AM   
Timon

Hadida/Davis Films have announced that British actor James Purefoy (Rome) has been cast in the title role of the live-action screen adaptation of Solomon Kane, based on the novels by Conan creator Robert E. Howard.

The news, which was picked up by ThisIsScotland.co.uk and ComingSoon.net, says that Kane is the first part of a proposed trilogy. "Solomon Kane (Purefoy) is a 16th Century soldier who learns that his brutal and cruel actions have damned him," reports CS. "Determined to redeem himself, Kane swears to live a life of peace and goodness but is forced to fight once more when a dark power threatens the land."

Solomon Kane will reportedly shoot later this year; IMDB Pro lists a start date of January 7, 2008 in Prague. Michael J. Bassett (Deathwatch) scripted and will direct for Silent Hill producer Samuel Hadida and Wandering Star's Paul Berrow.

In the casting announcement statement, Hadida called Purefoy "a powerful and commanding screen presence," adding that "Purefoy's ability to embody Kane's complex heroism, struggles and failings as he wages a mortal battle, made him the perfect modern hero in this epic fantasy."

Filmmaker Bassett said, "Kane is a dark hero who has faced terrible things and turned to God for redemption and guidance. He sees himself as a righter-of-wrongs but is conflicted by a growing realization that he might be both a force for evil as well as good. James Purefoy understands this duality and I know he'll bring a really powerful and intense heroism to the screen. He's perfect for the role - and the fact that he's devilishly handsome doesn't hurt either."

In addition to portraying "Mark Antony" on the HBO series Rome, James Purefoy's credits include A Knight's Tale, Resident Evil, and Vanity Fair. You may also recall that Purefoy was cast as "V" in V for Vendetta before being replaced by Hugo Weaving.

I'm not familiar with the character but it sounds great. Good to see the cast of Rome doing well after the series end - Stevenson is the new Punisher, McKidd has his new show Journeyman in the States and Purefoy is now a kickass 16th century soldier. Nice.

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/10/2007 11:10:45 AM >

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 204
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 2/10/2007 5:45:05 PM   
Wedge

Cool.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 205
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 2/10/2007 10:40:18 PM   
mafyou

Thanks for that Timon. I know nothing of the character but it certainly sounds very interesting! I really like Purefoy so that is certainly a good thing.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 206
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 3/10/2007 6:18:47 PM   
Wedge

Right, I will take the liberty of changing the subject from future historical epics on to old historical epics.  What do people think of Ridley Scott's 1492: Conquest of Paradise.  Haven't seen it but I love practically all of Scott's film, and he makes a cracking historical flick.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 207
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 4/10/2007 3:47:44 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

Right, I will take the liberty of changing the subject from future historical epics on to old historical epics.  What do people think of Ridley Scott's 1492: Conquest of Paradise.  Haven't seen it but I love practically all of Scott's film, and he makes a cracking historical flick.

I love it. It looks beautiful, it has a fantastic score and it's well acted by pretty much everyone. It isn't Scott's best film by any means, but it's certainly worth trying out.

Much more better!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 208
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 4/10/2007 1:50:26 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

Cool.

Seconded.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 209
RE: Historical Epics - Purefoy Is Solomon Kane - 4/10/2007 6:21:40 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

Cool.

Seconded.

I agree. 

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Has The 'Historical Epic' Bubble Burst? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI