Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 12/4/2007 9:15:14 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975
I wonder if that font is on Microsoft Word.

Probably downloadable. Cutting costs, obviously.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 151
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 14/4/2007 12:31:54 PM   
Timon

Been thinking whether this counts as 'Historical Epic' - The Prince Of Persia series than Jerry Bruckheimer is producing and Michael Bay will be directing once he finishes Transformers.

Yes, it's a computer game adaption, yes  it'll probably be as accurate as the likes of Pirates of the Carribean but Ancient Persia will look cool.

Transformers director Michael Bay will reunite with producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney on the big screen version of best-selling video game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

The game is set in medieval Persia, Earth's mightiest and most
mysterious
kingdom, where a king and his son defeat the powerful Maharajah and kidnap his daughter, looting his palace of priceless treasure, including an extravagant hourglass, and a mysterious dagger.

What the
Prince
does not realize, is that these two objects can turn their possessor into an immortal god, and give him control over time itself. Tricked by a dying Vizier bent on harnessing this terrible magic for himself, the Prince releases the sands of time, destroying a kingdom and turning its populace into ferocious demons. Only the Prince, the Vizier, and Princess Farah, the kidnapped daughter of the Maharajah, remain unchanged. Now, it is up to the young Prince of Persia to call upon every resource and ounce of courage he possesses to save his kingdom and redeem his fatal mistake.

Bay and Bruckheimer previously teamed on Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys II. The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release ofr "
Prince of Persia
."

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 152
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 14/4/2007 3:21:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

So watched the first half of Attila The Hun on ITV 4 this week, and yeah...Rome has nothing to worry about. Butler has to use a horrible mid Atlantic voice, and coming off of seeing 300 didn't help how I viewed his performance (really, would it  have killed the producers to let him use his Scottish accent?). It was dull, cheap looking and the 'battle' scenes were laughable. Only Powers Boothe seemed to have any real energy and even he seemed to give up near the end.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 153
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 14/4/2007 9:20:24 PM   
Wedge

Ok, it's only for tv but the makers of Sharpe are developing three film adaptations fo the Flashman series.  I'm quite excited, as I've just become a fan of the books and recently bought the 70s movie, Royal Flash 

PS.  The Complete Sharpe series (minus the most recent one) is now available at an amazing £29.99 from DD Home Entertainment!

< Message edited by Wedge -- 15/4/2007 10:00:37 AM >

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 154
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/4/2007 4:56:38 PM   
Timon

Already have the Sharpe boxset. It's great.

Never heard of Flashman but my interest is peaked.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 155
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/4/2007 6:28:59 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Already have the Sharpe boxset. It's great.

Never heard of Flashman but my interest is peaked.

I've only just got into Flashman, check out the wikipedia page - here

He's basically the anti-Sharpe.  Once you get past the fact that your hero is a 'rotter', the books are very enjoyable.   It has the 'history cameo' aspect of Young Indiana Jones (i.e. visiting and being involved in famous and import historical event while meeting (or bedding) real historical characters), the adventure of Sharpe or Hornblower, and a very similiar comic set up to Blackadder (a cowardly cad who's looking after number oneand trying to avoid being killed).

Only one other adaptation has been done before, Royal Flash (1975), starring Oliver Reed and Malcolm McDonald. 

The auther of the Flashman series, George MacDonald Fraser, also wrote or co-wrote the screenplays for:
  • The Three Musketeers (1973)
  • The Four Musketeers (1974)
  • Royal Flash (1975, adapted from his novel)
  • Crossed Swords (US) or The Prince and the Pauper (UK) (1978)
  • Octopussy (1983)
  • Red Sonja (1985)
  • The Return of the Musketeers (1989)

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 156
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/4/2007 6:38:39 PM   
Timon

Nice thanks for the info Wedge (and Cuchlain). I'll really have to get the books. Problem is I have piles of books i'm working my way through. Is the Oliver Reed film any good?

And everyone should own the Sharpe and Hornblower sets. I do and I can honestly say they complete me - Jerry Maguire style.

< Message edited by Timon -- 15/4/2007 6:39:35 PM >

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 157
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror - 15/4/2007 6:56:00 PM   
Wedge

I've just bought the 'complete' boxset of Sharpe, although, they're making more now, aren't they? 

The Oliver Reed film is good (but only currently available on R1).  Oliver Reed plays Bismarck brilliantly and it's a very close adaptation of the book (the second in the series).  Unfortuantely, while Malcolm McDowell has a good go at playing Flashman, he's just the Flashman, primarily because he just doesn't look like Flashman, who I imagine is more like Sean Connery in the books than skinny McDowell. 

Royal Flash (the film) also favours a style with more slapstick and smut than the books and doesn't evoke the period in the same vivid way, which is a shame because, for me, the Flashman novels are a really good way of exploring that exciting and eventful period in history.  I've high hopes for a TV series from the makers of Sharpe because they get the sense of that period spot on.  

The first book, Flashman, is probably the weakest of the series I've read so far and it does take a while to get going, but stick with it for an engaging second half! 

< Message edited by Wedge -- 15/4/2007 7:17:41 PM >

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 158
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 17/5/2007 9:22:55 AM   
Timon

Kevin MacDonald, director of the excellent One Day In September, Touching The Void and Last King of Scotland.....is going EPIC!

Macdonald Adapting Eagle of the Ninth
Source: Variety
May 17, 2007

The Last King of Scotland helmer Kevin Macdonald has lined up the epic Roman drama The Eagle of the Ninth as his next project after he finishes the Brad Pitt-starrer State of Play which he's preparing to shoot for Universal, reports Variety.

"Eagle of the Ninth," which Macdonald plans to direct early next year, is adapted by Jeremy Brock, co-writer of "Last King of Scotland," from the classic 1954 teen novel by Rosemary Sutcliff. Producer is Duncan Kenworthy (Notting Hill).

Set in Britain during the 2nd century A.D., it's the story of a wounded Roman soldier and his Celtic slave who embark on a perilous journey into the far north to discover what happened to the Ninth Legion, which went on a mission into the wilds of Scotland 15 years earlier and never came back.

The soldier's father was the legion's general, and his disappearance, along with the loss of the legion's symbol, the eponymous eagle, cast a stain upon his family.

Shooting will take place in Scotland and locations in Eastern Europe, most likely Romania.

Nice. I've needed some Roman action ever since ROME finished. If they change 'The Ninth' to 'The Thirteenth', they could bring back Titus Pullo and have him looking for the lost legion.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 159
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 17/5/2007 10:09:45 AM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

Kevin MacDonald, director of the excellent One Day In September, Touching The Void and Last King of Scotland.....is going EPIC!

Macdonald Adapting Eagle of the Ninth
Source: Variety
May 17, 2007

The Last King of Scotland helmer Kevin Macdonald has lined up the epic Roman drama The Eagle of the Ninth as his next project after he finishes the Brad Pitt-starrer State of Play which he's preparing to shoot for Universal, reports Variety.

"Eagle of the Ninth," which Macdonald plans to direct early next year, is adapted by Jeremy Brock, co-writer of "Last King of Scotland," from the classic 1954 teen novel by Rosemary Sutcliff. Producer is Duncan Kenworthy (Notting Hill).

Set in Britain during the 2nd century A.D., it's the story of a wounded Roman soldier and his Celtic slave who embark on a perilous journey into the far north to discover what happened to the Ninth Legion, which went on a mission into the wilds of Scotland 15 years earlier and never came back.

The soldier's father was the legion's general, and his disappearance, along with the loss of the legion's symbol, the eponymous eagle, cast a stain upon his family.

Shooting will take place in Scotland and locations in Eastern Europe, most likely Romania.

Nice. I've needed some Roman action ever since ROME finished. If they change 'The Ninth' to 'The Thirteenth', they could bring back Titus Pullo and have him looking for the lost legion.

Eagle Of The Ninth is a great book.I read it when I was a kid.The BBC actually adapted it into a TV series back in the 70's which I really liked.I'm sure it hasn't aged well though... 

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 160
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 17/5/2007 1:29:20 PM   
JagLover

Historical epics can be the most interesting of films or the most annoying.

A brainless action film, or one with a 'political' message can be Ok if set in the present. But set in the past just seems 'wrong' and can spoil the movie. The problem is that most historical epics tell us more about the time in which they were made than the time they are supposedly set. Take King Arthur for instance supposedly a 'realistic' protrayal of the Arthurian legend it instead was more concerned with PC assualts on organised religion and the Empire.

What I expect from an historical epic is not rigid adherenace to facts, but an understanding of the way the people thought, and a convincing potrayal of their society. Kingdom of Heaven is fatally flawed for the same reason as King Arthur, a thoroughly modern contempt for religion and hierachy. Which may be what Californian film producers expect from the movie, but is entirely alien to the medieval mind.

Some films are being made that do not fall into this trap, like the surperb Master & Commander, but too few, and the result is a growing disillusionment with historical epics due to the many duds.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 161
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 20/5/2007 2:16:51 PM   
Jame

Historical epics are always a bit of a minefield.

I'm putting my neck on the line and am gonna say that Gladiator is awful, on all counts. The plot, acting, (apart from Oliver Reed), script, action sequences, are atrocious. Russell Crowe is abysmal, like watching paint dry on a wooden plank. Plodding plotline, when a straight-forward revenge flick would've done, no need for an, unecessary and unconvincing, political sub-plot. And the ending twisted the knife in an already rotten movie.

Again Kingdom of Heaven left me cold. Orlando Bloom totally unconvincing. I'd hoped for more, Ridley said he'd done his homework, and as I did Medieaval history and Archaeology at uni, and having a keen interset in the Crusades, was disappointed that he'd totally re-written half the historical characters . And again, the ending! (Seems to be a theme here I know). Heard that the director's cut is somewhat better, but haven't had the privelege yet.

On the other hand. The Charge of the Light Brigade by Tony Richardson is superb. with a stellar cast. David Hemmings and Gielgud marvellous. The script and dialogue is excellent, and class-studies top notch. The final set-piece and image leave a truly lasting impression. Animation sequences delightful. A masterpiece.

" I don't have TIME for all this Mickey-Mouse bullshit! "

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 162
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 20/5/2007 2:21:16 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

After the success of Gladiator, swords and sandal flicks were back in. The genre hadn't been popular since the 1960s when spiralling production costs had forced studios to look for cheaper spectacles such as disaster movies.

However as with every genre revival, there have been a few misfires. For every Gladiator, you get a King Arthur. Even moderate success such as Troy and Kingdom of Heaven suffered heavy criticism and average box office so has the bubble burst?

Are studios going to once again looking for cheaper alternatives to mass spectacle and armies of extras?

From the production diaries i've seen, it looks very good BUT is there still an audience for such films?

like Spartacus

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 163
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 20/5/2007 2:24:57 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jame

Historical epics are always a bit of a minefield.

I'm putting my neck on the line and am gonna say that Gladiator is awful, on all counts. The plot, acting, (apart from Oliver Reed), script, action sequences, are atrocious. Russell Crowe is abysmal, like watching paint dry on a wooden plank. Plodding plotline, when a straight-forward revenge flick would've done, no need for an, unecessary and unconvincing, political sub-plot. And the ending twisted the knife in an already rotten movie.

Again Kingdom of Heaven left me cold. Orlando Bloom totally unconvincing. I'd hoped for more, Ridley said he'd done his homework, and as I did Medieaval history and Archaeology at uni, and having a keen interset in the Crusades, was disappointed that he'd totally re-written half the historical characters . And again, the ending! (Seems to be a theme here I know). Heard that the director's cut is somewhat better, but haven't had the privelege yet.

On the other hand. The Charge of the Light Brigade by Tony Richardson is superb. with a stellar cast. David Hemmings and Gielgud marvellous. The script and dialogue is excellent, and class-studies top notch. The final set-piece and image leave a truly lasting impression. Animation sequences delightful. A masterpiece.

, first person i've ever heard say bad things about Gladiator. I thought it was a great film, as did the majority that saw it, but you have a right to your own opinion. Just out of interest is it just Gladiator you dislike or do you dislike the majority of epics 

(in reply to Jame)
Post #: 164
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 20/5/2007 8:42:43 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Agree with every word of that and I'm glad someone else thinks it's vastly overrated boardering on awfulness. Saves me having to put my neck on the line...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Jame)
Post #: 165
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 21/5/2007 3:55:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yeah, but you like Evil Dead 2

*runs away very, very, very quickly*

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 166
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 21/5/2007 9:48:23 AM   
JagLover

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamdavidsmith

, first person i've ever heard say bad things about Gladiator. I thought it was a great film, as did the majority that saw it, but you have a right to your own opinion. Just out of interest is it just Gladiator you dislike or do you dislike the majority of epics 

Gladiator had some great action scenes, some of the best I have seen, and some very good acting. However it didn't seem to me to be set in ancient Rome and the plot was preposterous in places. If it had been set in some fantasy world liked Middle Earth or Narnia I would rank it higher.

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 167
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 21/5/2007 4:53:22 PM   
Jame

Not epics per se. I love Spartacus, Ben Hur, El Cid, Lawrence of Arabia, for sure.  I haven't seen some, such as Anthony and Cleopatra, or King Arthur. But there are also some, Genghis Khan [John Wayne], Colossus of Rhodes, Atlantis one that I probably shouldn't have .

Gladiator just didn't hit the mark. The film's use of browns and blues in the Germania sequence was quite effective, and I'll concede I enjoyed that bit. I just thought Russell gave so little effort in his performance. Then the script had some howlers, ["vexed.....I am very vexed" anybody?]  Oliver Reed was the only actor who seemed to be enjoying himself, the rest were just too uninspiring.

Does Three Musketeers count? The Michael York ones? I think they're pretty fun too. Not sure if they're epic enough though to count. 

" I don't have TIME for all this Mickey-Mouse bullshit! "

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 168
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Arn: The Templar Knight - 23/5/2007 1:29:00 PM   
Timon

Arn – The Temple Knight is first of two films, based on three novels by Jan Guillou.

The films directed by Hans Gunnarsson, shot in Sweden, Morocco and England, have Stellan Skarsgård, Sofia Helin, Joakim Nätterqvist and Anders Baasmo Christiansen starring and they look awesome!

All i know is that it's about Norse viking joining the Crusades. Promo reel has been doing the rounds at Cannes and looks great. Very 'Kingdom Of Heaven'

Click Here For Trailer

Most expensive Scandinavian production ever costing $30million.

(in reply to Jame)
Post #: 169
RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Eagle Of The Ninth - 23/5/2007 2:13:20 PM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

Not epics per se. I love Spartacus, Ben Hur, El Cid, Lawrence of Arabia, for sure.  I haven't seen some, such as Anthony and Cleopatra, or King Arthur. But there are also some, Genghis Khan [John Wayne], Colossus of Rhodes, Atlantis one that I probably shouldn't have .

Gladiator just didn't hit the mark. The film's use of browns and blues in the Germania sequence was quite effective, and I'll concede I enjoyed that bit. I just thought Russell gave so little effort in his performance. Then the script had some howlers, ["vexed.....I am very vexed" anybody?]  Oliver Reed was the only actor who seemed to be enjoying himself, the rest were just too uninspiring.

Does Three Musketeers count? The Michael York ones? I think they're pretty fun too. Not sure if they're epic enough though to count. 

Spartacus mmmm.... THE FIFTY GREATEST FILMS WEBSITE.....
....MY WEBSITE
http://www.freewebs.com/thedefinitivelist--thefiftygreatestfilms/

(in reply to Jame)
Post #: 170
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 23/5/2007 9:03:39 PM   
adamdavidsmith

Only one Historical Epic so far, but keep watching I think you'll be pleasantly suprised: -

THE FIFTY GREATEST FILMS WEBSITE.....
....MY WEBSITE
http://www.freewebs.com/thedefinitivelist--thefiftygreatestfilms/

< Message edited by adamdavidsmith -- 23/5/2007 9:04:16 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 171
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/7/2007 2:16:46 PM   
mafyou

Right, ok new to this thread and i just had a quick look through and saw Pathfinder. I saw that Empire gave it 2 stars but has anyone else seen it? I'm looking to buy/rent a few more historical/fantasy epics as i love them. I might rebuy LOTR:FOTR as it is a bit bashed up now. I think i'll order Troy: DC as well. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 172
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/7/2007 2:22:31 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Right, ok new to this thread and i just had a quick look through and saw Pathfinder. I saw that Empire gave it 2 stars but has anyone else seen it? I'm looking to buy/rent a few more historical/fantasy epics as i love them. I might rebuy LOTR:FOTR as it is a bit bashed up now. I think i'll order Troy: DC as well. 

I got really excited by Pathfinder and really wanted to see it but upon it's release it had very limited distribution and I missed it on the big screen. Heard very mixed reviews though but I can't believe about Vikings Vs Native Americans can be THAT bad.

I'll also be getting the Troy: DC as I really enjoyed the theatrical release despite its various flaws.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 173
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/7/2007 6:36:16 PM   
mafyou

What do you think of El Cid, Timon? Do you know why you can't get a good edition on dvd?

Btw has this been moved from future films? Or am i making that up?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 174
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/7/2007 11:33:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

What do you think of El Cid, Timon? Do you know why you can't get a good edition on dvd?

Btw has this been moved from future films? Or am i making that up?

Well I don't know about Timon but I have always enjoyed El Cid, although its handling of different cultures isn't quite as...ahem...even handed as lets say Kingdon of Heaven. But the scenes where the city is being besiged are great and the final shot of El Cid on the horse charging into the army is one of those moments you wished you had seen in the cinema.

At least it has a DVD, no matter how poor quailty. Wheres my four disk Quo Vadis special edition? It crops up on the TV now and again yet no DVD has ever appeared. Its amazing how Ben Hur and Cleopatra get all the attention the films mentioned above alongside The Fall of The Roman Empire are not only more entertaining (at least to me) but have a number of notable performaces. Same goes for Spartcus - the edition that was released had a nice transfer but was lacking in the extras department.

I also bought the I, Claudius boxset and watched the documentary called The Epic That Never Was about the attempt to make a film adaptation in the 1930's - no idea how they would have been able to tell that story in three hours. Really worth watching if you are a historical epic buff.

I was also thinking - has anyone ever created a website that has tried to put every historical film onto a timeline - so if you clicked a certain date you could be told if any film set in that period existed. Maybe a too complex idea but would be an excellent reference tool and would certainly help in finding those hidden gems - esp foregin films.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 175
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 18/7/2007 11:53:42 PM   
mafyou

Ok i'm going to start by asking a question: What is Quo Vadis?

Now, i agree with you that there are some random releases and it REALLY annoys me when i come across a really good film like El Cid that deserves at least 3 discs for a dvd and it doesn't.

Next, I, Claudius was ok but OMG Brian Blessed was miscast as Augustus. Having studied that in Ancient History this year it really does make it painful to watch the show - so i dont.

And lastly, your idea of the timeline is suberb. I wish i knew how to do that as i have the time at the moment to do it. I'd love something like that especially for the foreign classics out there, like you say. Should we compile a list of Historical Epics in this thread that we can add to?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 176
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/7/2007 1:00:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Ok i'm going to start by asking a question: What is Quo Vadis?

Now, i agree with you that there are some random releases and it REALLY annoys me when i come across a really good film like El Cid that deserves at least 3 discs for a dvd and it doesn't.

Next, I, Claudius was ok but OMG Brian Blessed was miscast as Augustus. Having studied that in Ancient History this year it really does make it painful to watch the show - so i dont.

And lastly, your idea of the timeline is suberb. I wish i knew how to do that as i have the time at the moment to do it. I'd love something like that especially for the foreign classics out there, like you say. Should we compile a list of Historical Epics in this thread that we can add to?

Heres the imdb link to Quo Vadis - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043949/

Was a massive film, has some great performances and is just as big as some of the more famous epics. Why it has not had a DVD release of any sort is a mystery. Its sometimes on TCM and BBC 2, so keep an eye out for it. Well worth a watch/

About Blessed - I agree that perhaps he wasn't  historically accurate (Octavian in Rome is much more in line with what I have read) I did enjoy his performance. For all the times he seemed like a jolly old fool, there were moments when you saw it was an act - the moment with the senators is the most famous - "Oh, not slept...". He claims to have based some of the performance on The Godfather and you can see it here and there.

If you haven't watched the full thing I recommend you do so straight away -  the reign of Cagulia in particular must have been pretty brave of the BBC to show in the 70's.There were moments which annoyed me at first - esp as I had watched season one of Rome beforehand but you do get caught up in it, the performance of Jacobi is a big help in the narritive  Also Sian Phillips owns the screen whenever she is on.

Talking of Cagulia - there is apparantly going to be a four disk DVD set released (at least according to IMDB) with an extended edition that may removed all the X rated scenes thrown in. Never really had any desire to watch it before (nearly everything I have read has said its rubbish) but apparantly Macdowell and Mirren did commentaries which are described as "no holds barred" may just be an incentive to buy it. Anyone seen it in its current state?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 177
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/7/2007 5:22:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Has anyone seen the trailer for The Last Legion? It certainly looks suitably epic.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 178
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/7/2007 9:34:59 AM   
Timon

I have seen the new Last Legion trailer and while it does look epic, I've been informed by my brother who saw it in Russia that it's not very good. I'm still curious though even if it's looks a little King Arthur meets Xena.

Regarding El Cid, I saw it many times as a kid but haven't seen it recently. I remember really enjoying it though but this was before I was really aware of it's various inaccuracies and 'interesting' portrayals of certain faiths. Thinking it needs a rewatch.

This thread was in Movie Musings where it was originally called 'Has The Historical Epic Bubble Burst' but it evolved into a general Historical Epic musing thread.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 179
RE: The Historical Epic Thread - 19/7/2007 11:21:30 AM   
mafyou

What do you guys think to compiling a list of 'epics' for easy reference?

I'm not sure but would you class The New World as an historical epic?

< Message edited by mafyou -- 19/7/2007 11:35:01 AM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Upcoming Historical Epics - Hannibal The Conqueror Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI